The Education Forum

The CIA and the Politics of Heroin

John Simkin

A leson from history, he British imported opium into China, not just because it helped the profit margin of the East India Co, It also helped keep the Chinese docile.

I have read that opium was 10% of the East India company's gross business and contributed 90% (!!!!!) of the firm's net profit. Yow!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A leson from history, he British imported opium into China, not just because it helped the profit margin of the East India Co, It also helped keep the Chinese docile.

I have read that opium was 10% of the East India company's gross business and contributed 90% (!!!!!) of the firm's net profit. Yow!

I think this is an important point: the involvement of the high and the mighty in drug trafficking and slave-trading is nothing new. The British Empire, among others, was built on such things. I was at the U.N. last year and they had a very powerful exhibit demonstrating the links between the British business elite of the 1700's, including members of royalty, and the American slave trade. It seems that all money starts out as dirty money...

(1) In 1972, Cord Meyer, a senior official in the CIA became aware of your manuscript and made efforts to have the book withheld from publication. Could you tell us more about this story?

This entire story of the CIA's attempted suppression of the book was documented in an article that I did for the "New York Review of Books" in late 1972 and recounted, in brief, in a biography of Cord Meyer, Jr. by Merle Miller in "The New York Sunday Times Magazine." In brief, Meyer, then head of covert operations for the CIA, somehow learned of the book's contents while it was in press at Harper & Row in New York. He called on the company's publisher, a friend from New York social circles, to persuade him to suppress the book. Though the publisher refused that request, the company did agree, over my strenuous objections, to grant the Agency prior review, a dangerous transgression of constitutional protections. The US media reacted in rage and the Agency back off, producing a weak 14 page critique of the ms. and the book was published unaltered.

(2) According to the Frank Church report (Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities) published in 1976, the CIA arranged for books critical of the agency to receive bad reviews in the media. Did this happen to The Politics of Heroin?

This did not happen to the book. While I was in Laos doing the research, CIA mercenaries made an assassination attempt on my research team. Even though I was a lowly graduate student at Yale University, I had an FBI phone tap, an IRS audit, an investigation of my federal fellowship by the US Department of Education, and, I believe, pressure my university to dismiss me from the graduate program. Once the book was published, the Agency threatened my sources in Laos to repudiate information they had given me. In sum, the Agency tugged at every thread in the threadbare life of an American graduate student. After the book was published and I finished my Ph.D., I found no academic employment in the US and migrated to Australia where I taught for 12 years.

(3) On 12th December, 1986, Daniel Sheehan submitted to the court an affidavit detailing the involvement of a small group of CIA operatives that included Theodore Shackley, Thomas Clines and Richard Secord (they were called the Secret Team) in the drug trade.

Since the courts have ruled, this is not a subject that I wish to comment on.

Alfred,

Just bought your book from Amazon. I look forward to reading it and hope that you'll entertain some questions. Your story above is amazing - sounds like you are very fortunate that things went the way they did. From past reading and from an agency contact - if you had been a former employee, the book would have been sanitized thoroughly - even if it was a work of fiction.

Kind regards and Happy Holidays,

[]

quote from RJS

Pat,

I was in touch with a retired DEA agent a few years ago who essentially confirmed a story that had been making the rounds for several years. You recall the death of DEA agent Enrique "Kiki" Camarena in Mexico in 1985, said to have been murdered by Mexican drug lords. If I recall, 2 low level traffickers were convicted and sentenced to life in prison for Camarena's death. This former DEA guy said Camerena was murdered by the CIA because he found out about an airfield in Mexico used by the CIA as a stopover from Central America to the US. As you know(and this forum's own Tosh Plumlee can confirm this I'm sure, as he made many of these flights), the CIA would fly weapons and supplies to Central America, and bring tons of cocaine back on the return flight. Barry Seal was also heavily involved in these operations(who was himself murdered outside New Orleans allegedly with a trunk full of documents proving ties to the CIA and GHWB). Tosh's closed session testimony to the Kerry Committee is still sealed as secret, related to national security.

In the early 90's, CIA officials went to Los Angeles and held a news conference to try to convince poor

black families that they had nothing to do with cocaine smuggling. It was big news. They were nearly run out of the city. And if is in fact true that John Kerry apologized to one of Operation 40's chief assassins(and personal friend of GHWB), it certainly changes my mind about that senator. But then again, it's all politics as usual isn't it?

RJS

Ref: Plumlee

".... DEA FILES INFORMATION:

DEAfiles.pdf DEA Mexico OPS: These documents make reference to "Guatemalan Guerrillas" training at a ranch owned by Drug Lord CARO- Quintero in Vera Crus, Mexico. It was reported at the time this was a CIA training site where weapons were exchanged for drugs in support of the Contra effort in Nicaragua and Costa Rico. DEA Agent Enrique Camarena (KIKI) and his pilot found out about this operation known as "The CIA Thing" and were killed because of this knowledge. Plumlee and other American undercover pilots had flown into this ranch many times as reported in various sections within these documents and other news media leaks in Mexico and America. The operation was known as "AMSOG" and, as reported to Senator Gary Hart and his Senate investigators in early 1983, was an "illegal" smuggling operation through Mexico into the United States, supported by the US Military, Panama Southern Command.

Ref: DEA Secret Class 2 documents investigators Susand Baldwin and Hector Berelliz DEA. Documents can be found at toshplumlee.info in PDF foremat.

Edited by William Plumlee

Tosh,

As I recall Camarena's death as reported in the media, he suffered a horrible death at the hands of torturers. The documentary evidence you cite implies that the CIA had Camarena killed, because he found out about their airfield operation. Are we to assume then that the CIA ordered Camarena killed and didn't care how it was done, or that the CIA wanted his death by torture in order to blame it on merciless drug lords, or how do you think that this murder went down? I ask this question not out of morbid curiosity, but because the more I learn about the CIA the more I'm trying to figure out how the people who run our government think, and it's simply becoming an impossible task.

Ron

Tosh,

As I recall Camarena's death as reported in the media, he suffered a horrible death at the hands of torturers. The documentary evidence you cite implies that the CIA had Camarena killed, because he found out about their airfield operation. Are we to assume then that the CIA ordered Camarena killed and didn't care how it was done, or that the CIA wanted his death by torture in order to blame it on merciless drug lords, or how do you think that this murder went down? I ask this question not out of morbid curiosity, but because the more I learn about the CIA the more I'm trying to figure out how the people who run our government think, and it's simply becoming an impossible task.

Ron

Ron. I have to be careful on this.

In late 1984 KiKi and Scott Wheller of the CIA exchanged UC information and documentation. A few weeks after this KiKI talked to his people about some of the information that he had obtained from Wheeler concerning Poco Solo and Santa Elena Costa Rico ("Point West") and another secret base operating in Mexico that was being used by drug pilots of the Louis and Jourg Ochoa operations. This Mexican base, in Mexico, had a "Hands off" policy.

Some of these drug pilots were on the DEA's watch list in Guatalahara Mexico. Wheeler as well as seven other pilots were TDY'ed to the DEA from the CIA and had infiltrated the cartel's operation and had documented the main fly ways into the United States (Rooster Hop, Whale Watch, and Big Toad to name a few.) Kiki was upset because nothing was being done about this "hands off "operation in Mexico. He sent a dispatch, cross channels" asking, " What the hell has to happen down here? Does someone have to get killed before this matter is looked into? It was at this point that Wheeler gave KiKi detailed information about the "Ranch" and he, Wheeler called it "The CIA Thing". Kiki 's memo on this subject was sent to DEA on open communication which was intercepted and forwarded to the cartel from the Secret base in Mexico, "The Ranch".

Two weeks later Scott Wheeler was beheaded at Poco Solo and his body was flown by an unidentified drug pilot, who was later executed, and Scotts body was dumped headles in the United States not far from the Yuma Army Proving grounds.

Shortly after this in 1985 Kiki and his pilot were set up by "persons unknown" (reference CIA classified memo) concerning a large shipement going through Lejas Mexico into the United States through the "Big Bend" route and Black Mountain (Iron Mountain) Wheeler's information was this was a weapons route to Central America and the drugs, cocain, would come in by C-130's flown by contract "civilian, cut out UC military crews. This too, was sent back to DEA and was not forwarded to FBI or CIA. The DEA sat on it.

Kiki sent a memo stating that the CIA was involved in drug and gun smuggling. The DEA approched the FBI and the CIA about these reports from KIKI. The following week KIKI and his pilot were kidnapped. The CIA had the detailed information classified because of "ongoing operations" and the CIA in turn reported that KIKI was taken by the Guatalahara arm of the cartel. Shortly after this Berry Seal was executed also.

The CIA let the information slowly slip out through paid informants and a few "cut outs" because of the Contra matter. Some of these "CI's "Confidentual Informants with coded numbers within the DoJ, relayed the info they had been fed to the cartel thus protecting the CIA from direct involvement and sealing KiKi' and his pilot's fate.

On another note, but related, a shoot out was had at the ranch between two factions of the Mexican police. That too, was a bloody mess, as recorded by the DEA class 2 secret documents. (Susan Baldwin and Hector Berleiz. )This was shortly after a reporter was killed in Mexico because he had found out about the "CIA THING" and was "going to blow the lid off the CIA matter". he said.

This is as close as I can get without... well you know the drill.... "Shaggy" retired DEA and other DEA agents know the real story. Perhaps someday they will talk for the sake and memory of KIKI and his pilot, Alverez..

Tosh

Alfred,

Just bought your book from Amazon. I look forward to reading it and hope that you'll entertain some questions. Your story above is amazing - sounds like you are very fortunate that things went the way they did. From past reading and from an agency contact - if you had been a former employee, the book would have been sanitized thoroughly - even if it was a work of fiction.

Kind regards and Happy Holidays,

Please post your questions here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5671

[]

quote from RJS

Pat,

I was in touch with a retired DEA agent a few years ago who essentially confirmed a story that had been making the rounds for several years. You recall the death of DEA agent Enrique "Kiki" Camarena in Mexico in 1985, said to have been murdered by Mexican drug lords. If I recall, 2 low level traffickers were convicted and sentenced to life in prison for Camarena's death. This former DEA guy said Camerena was murdered by the CIA because he found out about an airfield in Mexico used by the CIA as a stopover from Central America to the US. As you know(and this forum's own Tosh Plumlee can confirm this I'm sure, as he made many of these flights), the CIA would fly weapons and supplies to Central America, and bring tons of cocaine back on the return flight. Barry Seal was also heavily involved in these operations(who was himself murdered outside New Orleans allegedly with a trunk full of documents proving ties to the CIA and GHWB). Tosh's closed session testimony to the Kerry Committee is still sealed as secret, related to national security.

In the early 90's, CIA officials went to Los Angeles and held a news conference to try to convince poor

black families that they had nothing to do with cocaine smuggling. It was big news. They were nearly run out of the city. And if is in fact true that John Kerry apologized to one of Operation 40's chief assassins(and personal friend of GHWB), it certainly changes my mind about that senator. But then again, it's all politics as usual isn't it?

RJS

DEAfiles.pdf DEA Mexico OPS: These documents make reference to "Guatemalan Guerrillas" training at a ranch owned by Drug Lord CARO- Quintero in Vera Crus, Mexico. It was reported at the time this was a CIA training site where weapons were exchanged for drugs in support of the Contra effort in Nicaragua and Costa Rico. DEA Agent Enrique Camarena (KIKI) and his pilot found out about this operation known as "The CIA Thing" and were killed because of this knowledge. Plumlee and other American undercover pilots had flown into this ranch many times as reported in various sections within these documents and other news media leaks in Mexico and America. The operation was known as "AMSOG" and, as reported to Senator Gary Hart and his Senate investigators in early 1983, was an "illegal" smuggling operation through Mexico into the United States, supported by the US Military, Panama Southern Command.

Ref: DEA Secret Class 2 documents investigators Susand Baldwin and Hector Berelliz DEA. Documents can be found at toshplumlee.info in PDF foremat.

Tosh,

Thanks for the confirmation. In fact, the retired DEA guy I spoke of knew you. At the time(about 2 years ago), he wanted to get in touch with you. This was after you had left Lancer and went on "hiatus" because you ended up in the middle of the Dankbaar/Vernon mess.

Someone also mentioned Nixon earlier in this thread. I recall that Nixon started the DEA, obstensively to get control of the drug trade away from the CIA. He recruited none other than Lucien Conein(who IMO was photographed at the corner of Main and Houston in Dallas on November 22, 1963).

And I don't believe for a minute that Pablo Escobar or any other Columbian cartel bigshot had Barry Seal whacked. What a small world.

No "meatball" here

RJS

I think this is an important point: the involvement of the high and the mighty in drug trafficking and slave-trading is nothing new. The British Empire, among others, was built on such things. I was at the U.N. last year and they had a very powerful exhibit demonstrating the links between the British business elite of the 1700's, including members of royalty, and the American slave trade. It seems that all money starts out as dirty money...

"Behind every great fortune is a great crime", one of the Rothschilds.

"Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king", Robert Zimmerman.

[]

quote from RJS

Pat,

RJS

"It was reported at the time this was a CIA training site where weapons were exchanged for drugs in support of the Contra effort in Nicaragua and Costa Rica."

"...and Costa Rica."

Could this have been the landing strip belonging to Senator John Hull, by any chance?

CHRONOLOGY OF JOHN HULL'S ALLEGED CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES June 7, 1991

1982-1986 John Hull's ranch in Northern Costa Rica serves as the main supply base for the contras on the Southern Front of Nicaragua. [Newsday, 5/10/87]

October 1984 Hull receives $10,000 a month from the Reagan-Bush Administration's National Security Council…

September 1984 and deposits the money into a Miami bank account. [senate Foreign Relations subcommittee report, "Private Assistance' and the Contras: A Staff Report." 10/14/86] [Common Cause,

Sept/Oct. 1985] [Covert Action Bulletin, Winter 86] [New York Daily News, 1/8/87]

1984 Hull takes out a $375,000 loan from the Overseas Private Investment Corporation for a supposed manufacturing project. Hull deposits the money into his private account in Indiana and the project is never started. He later defaults on the loan. [senate Foreign Relations narcotics and terrorism subcommittee: ``Drugs, Law Enforcement, and Foreign Policy,'' a report on investigation of contra drug trafficking, April 1989]

April 9, 1984 Plane piloted by a Nicaraguan crashes while taking off from the airstrip on Hull's ranch, purportedly because it was overloaded with military supplies. [Tico Times, 9/28/84]

April 25, 1984 Hull's ranch is raided and he is detained by security officers investigating allegations of Southern Front contra activities in Costa Rica. [Tico Times 4/27/84]

April 1984 Pastora is given a 30-day deadline to unify his forces with the F.D.N. in the North. [Out of Control, Leslie Cockburn]

May 30, 1984 A bomb explodes in La Penca, Nicaragua, killing three journalists--including U.S. citizen Linda Frazier--and injuring many others. The bomb's apparent target, moderate contra leader Eden Pastora, is injured but survives. One of the reporters wounded in the bombing is ABC cameraman Tony Avirgan. [Convergence, Spring 1987]

May 30, 1984 Hull, Robert Owen, C.I.A. station chief Phil Holtz and several pilots meet in a C.I.A. safe house in San Jose, Costa Rica. After news of the explosion, Hull phones his associates to instruct that his private plane not be used to help the wounded. [Costa Rican Special Prosecutor's Report, Dec. 1989]

June 22, 1984 Hull obtains Costa Rican citizenship, which he later claims was at the C.I.A.'s request. [Tico Times, 3/23/90]

October 1984 Costa Rican Government initiates investigation of Hull after he admits on radio that he aided the contras. [Tico Times, 10/26/84]

December 1984 According to mercenary Jack Terrell, Hull, Robert Owen, Felipe Vidal and the alleged bomber Amac Galil meet and discuss the continuing need to kill Pastora. [New York Times, 3/1/90]

July 18, 1985 David, an eyewitness source for Avirgan and Honey's La Penca investigation, is kidnapped and later allegedly murdered on Hull's ranch. [Convergence Magazine, Spring 1988]

October 1985 At a San Jose, Costa Rica press conference, Tony Avirgan (who was injured in the bombing) and Martha Honey present the findings from their investigation of the La Penca bombing, identifying Hull as one of the bombing's planners. [La Penca: Report of an Investigation, Tony Avirgan and Martha Honey, 1985]

Days after Avirgan and Honey's report is published, Hull files suit against the journalists, charging them with ``injuries, falsehood and defamation of character'' because of their allegations of his role in the bombing [La Penca: On Trial in Costa Rica, Edited by Avirgan and Honey, 1987]

April 1986 A CBS "West 57th Street" broadcast airs, in which former contra resupply pilots identify Hull's ranch as major transhipment point for military supplies and drugs, but Hull denies any role in the contra resupply network.

May 22-23, 1986 Trial against Avirgan and Honey takes place, resulting in a victory for the two journalists after documents and witnesses confirm their findings. The judge throws Hull's lawsuit out of court. [La Penca: On Trial in Costa Rica, edited by Avirgan and Honey, 1987]

May 1986 Christic Institute attorneys file the La Penca lawsuit (Avirgan v. Hull) on behalf of Avirgan and Honey, naming Hull and 28 others as major figures in a racketeering network involved in drug trafficking, arms smuggling. The same ring engineered the La Penca bombing, the suit alleges. [Convergence, Spring 1987]

May 5, 1988 Costa Rican police announce an investigation into charges of Hull's involvement in arms and drug trafficking.

May 1988 Christic Institute takes Hull's deposition for the La Penca lawsuit. He refuses to cooperate in the proceedings.

June 1988 Federal Judge James L. King dismisses La Penca lawsuit in Miami two days before the trial is scheduled to begin, arguing that there is no evidence linking Hull and others to the bombing. The Christic Institute immediately announces it will appeal.

January 1989 Costa Rican authorities arrest Hull on charges of drug trafficking and using Costa Rican territory for ``hostile acts'' against NIcaragua. [Tico Times, 3/23/90]

April 1989 Sen. John Kerry's Foreign Relations narcotics and terrorism subcommittee releases a 1,200-page report, ``Drugs, Law Enforcement, and Foreign Policy,'' including testimony that Hull's ranch was used for gun- and drug-smuggling operations. One eyewitness tell the subcommittee that Hull supervised the transfer of drugs into a plane before its return journey to the United States.

May 26, 1989 John Hull fails to appear to testify before the Costa Rican Legislative Assembly's Special Commission Investigating Narcotics. Hull later appears before the commission but refuses to be sworn in to testify.

July 1989 Costa Rican Legislative Assembly concludes in an official report that Hull was trafficking drugs through the country on behalf of the contras. [The Guardian, 8/30/89]

July 1989 Hull flees Costa Rica while waiting trial, jumping a $37,000 bail posted by friends. Several reports confirm that D.E.A. agent Juan Perez arranged his secret flight out of the country. [Convergence, Winter 1991] [Tico Times, 12/7/90]

September 1989 Based on the Costa Rican Legislative Assembly report on drug trafficking, Oliver North, Richard Secord, former U.S. Ambassador Lewis Tambs and former National Security Adviser John Poindexter are all declared personae non gratae and banned from Costa Rica by the country's government. Secord is a defendant in Avirgan v. Hull. [The Guardian, 8/30/89]

March 1990 Hull is indicted for murder in Costa Rica on charges that he masterminded the La Penca bombing. [Convergence, Spring 1990]

May 1990 ABC Primetime Live airs Diane Sawyer's interview with Carlos Lehder, a key figure in the Medellin cocaine cartel. Lehder names Hull as a major cocaine trafficker and says Hull smuggled 30 tons of cocaine into the United States yearly.

June 1990 Hull's name added to Interpol's "most wanted" list of international fugitives at the request of Costa Rican special prosecutor Jorge Chaverria. [Convergence, Fall 1990]

November 1990 Costa Rican Legislative Assembly establishes four-member La Penca investigative committee with representatives from all political parties.

November 1990 Hull slips into Nicaragua on a 72-hour visa and soon disappears. [Los Angeles Times 12/7/90] [uPI 12/11/90]

December 1990 Investigators track Hull to a remote town in Southern Nicaragua--Juigalpa--which is the seat of an extreme right-wing movement against the conservative government of Violetta Chamorro. Hull is reported to be looking into investments to help contra veterans. [Tico Times, 12/7/90]

December 7, 1990 Costa Rica officially asks Nicaragua to extradite Hull.

December 11, 1990 Nicaraguan Supreme Court orders the arrest of Hull, although Presidential Minister Antonio Lacayo denies any knowledge of the case and says Hull was not facing criminal charges in Nicaragua. [uPI 12/12/90] Hull quietly leaves Nicaragua and returns to the United States.

April 19, 1991 The Costa Rican Ambassador submits a formal request to the U.S. State Department to extradite Hull.

The above complements to my friend, Dixie Dea.

[]

quote from RJS

Pat,

RJS

"It was reported at the time this was a CIA training site where weapons were exchanged for drugs in support of the Contra effort in Nicaragua and Costa Rica."

"...and Costa Rica."

Could this have been the landing strip belonging to Senator John Hull, by any chance?

1982-1986 John Hull's ranch in Northern Costa Rica serves as the main supply base for the contras on the Southern Front of Nicaragua. [Newsday, 5/10/87]

October 1984 Hull receives $10,000 a month from the Reagan-Bush Administration's National Security Council…

September 1984 and deposits the money into a Miami bank account. [senate Foreign Relations subcommittee report, "Private Assistance' and the Contras: A Staff Report." 10/14/86] [Common Cause,

Sept/Oct. 1985] [Covert Action Bulletin, Winter 86] [New York Daily News, 1/8/87]

1984 Hull takes out a $375,000 loan from the Overseas Private Investment Corporation for a supposed manufacturing project. Hull deposits the money into his private account in Indiana and the project is never started. He later defaults on the loan. [senate Foreign Relations narcotics and terrorism subcommittee: ``Drugs, Law Enforcement, and Foreign Policy,'' a report on investigation of contra drug trafficking, April 1989]

April 9, 1984 Plane piloted by a Nicaraguan crashes while taking off from the airstrip on Hull's ranch, purportedly because it was overloaded with military supplies. [Tico Times, 9/28/84]

April 25, 1984 Hull's ranch is raided and he is detained by security officers investigating allegations of Southern Front contra activities in Costa Rica. [Tico Times 4/27/84]

April 1984 Pastora is given a 30-day deadline to unify his forces with the F.D.N. in the North. [Out of Control, Leslie Cockburn]

May 30, 1984 A bomb explodes in La Penca, Nicaragua, killing three journalists--including U.S. citizen Linda Frazier--and injuring many others. The bomb's apparent target, moderate contra leader Eden Pastora, is injured but survives. One of the reporters wounded in the bombing is ABC cameraman Tony Avirgan. [Convergence, Spring 1987]

May 30, 1984 Hull, Robert Owen, C.I.A. station chief Phil Holtz and several pilots meet in a C.I.A. safe house in San Jose, Costa Rica. After news of the explosion, Hull phones his associates to instruct that his private plane not be used to help the wounded. [Costa Rican Special Prosecutor's Report, Dec. 1989]

June 22, 1984 Hull obtains Costa Rican citizenship, which he later claims was at the C.I.A.'s request. [Tico Times, 3/23/90]

October 1984 Costa Rican Government initiates investigation of Hull after he admits on radio that he aided the contras. [Tico Times, 10/26/84]

December 1984 According to mercenary Jack Terrell, Hull, Robert Owen, Felipe Vidal and the alleged bomber Amac Galil meet and discuss the continuing need to kill Pastora. [New York Times, 3/1/90]

July 18, 1985 David, an eyewitness source for Avirgan and Honey's La Penca investigation, is kidnapped and later allegedly murdered on Hull's ranch. [Convergence Magazine, Spring 1988]

October 1985 At a San Jose, Costa Rica press conference, Tony Avirgan (who was injured in the bombing) and Martha Honey present the findings from their investigation of the La Penca bombing, identifying Hull as one of the bombing's planners. [La Penca: Report of an Investigation, Tony Avirgan and Martha Honey, 1985]

Days after Avirgan and Honey's report is published, Hull files suit against the journalists, charging them with ``injuries, falsehood and defamation of character'' because of their allegations of his role in the bombing [La Penca: On Trial in Costa Rica, Edited by Avirgan and Honey, 1987]

April 1986 A CBS "West 57th Street" broadcast airs, in which former contra resupply pilots identify Hull's ranch as major transhipment point for military supplies and drugs, but Hull denies any role in the contra resupply network.

May 22-23, 1986 Trial against Avirgan and Honey takes place, resulting in a victory for the two journalists after documents and witnesses confirm their findings. The judge throws Hull's lawsuit out of court. [La Penca: On Trial in Costa Rica, edited by Avirgan and Honey, 1987]

May 1986 Christic Institute attorneys file the La Penca lawsuit (Avirgan v. Hull) on behalf of Avirgan and Honey, naming Hull and 28 others as major figures in a racketeering network involved in drug trafficking, arms smuggling. The same ring engineered the La Penca bombing, the suit alleges. [Convergence, Spring 1987]

May 5, 1988 Costa Rican police announce an investigation into charges of Hull's involvement in arms and drug trafficking.

May 1988 Christic Institute takes Hull's deposition for the La Penca lawsuit. He refuses to cooperate in the proceedings.

June 1988 Federal Judge James L. King dismisses La Penca lawsuit in Miami two days before the trial is scheduled to begin, arguing that there is no evidence linking Hull and others to the bombing. The Christic Institute immediately announces it will appeal.

January 1989 Costa Rican authorities arrest Hull on charges of drug trafficking and using Costa Rican territory for ``hostile acts'' against NIcaragua. [Tico Times, 3/23/90]

April 1989 Sen. John Kerry's Foreign Relations narcotics and terrorism subcommittee releases a 1,200-page report, ``Drugs, Law Enforcement, and Foreign Policy,'' including testimony that Hull's ranch was used for gun- and drug-smuggling operations. One eyewitness tell the subcommittee that Hull supervised the transfer of drugs into a plane before its return journey to the United States.

May 26, 1989 John Hull fails to appear to testify before the Costa Rican Legislative Assembly's Special Commission Investigating Narcotics. Hull later appears before the commission but refuses to be sworn in to testify.

July 1989 Costa Rican Legislative Assembly concludes in an official report that Hull was trafficking drugs through the country on behalf of the contras. [The Guardian, 8/30/89]

July 1989 Hull flees Costa Rica while waiting trial, jumping a $37,000 bail posted by friends. Several reports confirm that D.E.A. agent Juan Perez arranged his secret flight out of the country. [Convergence, Winter 1991] [Tico Times, 12/7/90]

September 1989 Based on the Costa Rican Legislative Assembly report on drug trafficking, Oliver North, Richard Secord, former U.S. Ambassador Lewis Tambs and former National Security Adviser John Poindexter are all declared personae non gratae and banned from Costa Rica by the country's government. Secord is a defendant in Avirgan v. Hull. [The Guardian, 8/30/89]

March 1990 Hull is indicted for murder in Costa Rica on charges that he masterminded the La Penca bombing. [Convergence, Spring 1990]

May 1990 ABC Primetime Live airs Diane Sawyer's interview with Carlos Lehder, a key figure in the Medellin cocaine cartel. Lehder names Hull as a major cocaine trafficker and says Hull smuggled 30 tons of cocaine into the United States yearly.

June 1990 Hull's name added to Interpol's "most wanted" list of international fugitives at the request of Costa Rican special prosecutor Jorge Chaverria. [Convergence, Fall 1990]

November 1990 Costa Rican Legislative Assembly establishes four-member La Penca investigative committee with representatives from all political parties.

November 1990 Hull slips into Nicaragua on a 72-hour visa and soon disappears. [Los Angeles Times 12/7/90] [uPI 12/11/90]

December 1990 Investigators track Hull to a remote town in Southern Nicaragua--Juigalpa--which is the seat of an extreme right-wing movement against the conservative government of Violetta Chamorro. Hull is reported to be looking into investments to help contra veterans. [Tico Times, 12/7/90]

December 11, 1990 Nicaraguan Supreme Court orders the arrest of Hull, although Presidential Minister Antonio Lacayo denies any knowledge of the case and says Hull was not facing criminal charges in Nicaragua. [uPI 12/12/90] Hull quietly leaves Nicaragua and returns to the United States.

April 19, 1991 The Costa Rican Ambassador submits a formal request to the U.S. State Department to extradite Hull.

fm Plumlee:

John Hull's strip was one of many used down there: Poco Solo was another and is where Scott Wheeler was executed. O North's, "Point West" as found in his notebooks was located at Santa Elena, CR. It was the SECRET base. It was set up by the "Udall (phoe?) Corp".

In case you missed the other post this might be of help.

www.phoenixarchives.com/express/1991/0591/13-06.pdf (you can cut and paste it into your broser.

This article, at the time, never saw the light of day in the main stream media. It was pulled in interest of 'National Security' to protect "Ongoing Operations", After the map had been published by the San Diego Reader in 1990 it was quickly classified. It has since been upgraded to 'Classified Top Secret, Committe Sensitive by the United States Senate and the CIA.

What does all this have to do with JFK. Well birds of a feather flock together. Players in the sixties, as I, were also players of the 90's. Its like a Secret Army controled by the White House.... an early forum of 'Able-Danger'.

I was threaten with jail time if I did not retract the statement about GHB and his knowledge of our operations. I was told I was "UnAmerican" for telling what I knew about these secret operations and drugs for guns sorties.,utside to the public. In those days.., I was a Bad Bad Boy for doing such a bad bad thing.

tosh

Edited by William Plumlee

The effects on south central LA, the Bronx and DC are obvious.

A lot of the original gangsters were Vietnam Vets who got the HOOK UP

The southeast asian heroin had to be sold somewhere by someone, so race played a part........

[]

quote from RJS

Pat,

RJS

"...and Costa Rica."

fm Plumlee:

John Hull's strip was one of many used down there: Poco Solo was another and is where Scott Wheeler was executed. O North's, "Point West" as found in his notebooks was located at Santa Elena, CR. It was the SECRET base. It was set up by the "Udall (phoe?) Corp".

In case you missed the other post this might be of help.

www.phoenixarchives.com/express/1991/0591/13-06.pdf (you can cut and paste it into your broser.

This article, at the time, never saw the light of day in the main stream media. It was pulled in interest of 'National Security' to protect "Ongoing Operations", After the map had been published by the San Diego Reader in 1990 it was quickly classified. It has since been upgraded to 'Classified Top Secret, Committe Sensitive by the United States Senate and the CIA.

What does all this have to do with JFK. Well birds of a feather flock together. Players in the sixties, as I, were also players of the 90's. Its like a Secret Army controled by the White House.... an early forum of 'Able-Danger'.

I was threaten with jail time if I did not retract the statement about GHB and his knowledge of our operations. I was told I was "UnAmerican" for telling what I knew about these secret operations and drugs for guns sorties.,utside to the public. In those days.., I was a Bad Bad Boy for doing such a bad bad thing.

tosh

Thanks for the link, Tosh.

"What does all this have to do with JFK."

Everything. Because, the removal of JFK meant the chance to grab for the keys to the kingdom, while traveling under the cover of fighting back those VietCong commies. It's the poppy fields and the processing labs that hold the fortune to made in opium, and China White sales. Especially to our troops, made up of the nation's poor white trash, not-hardly-Havard-material-but-need-to-make-a-living-just-the-same, and don't forget the "negro problem", along with our little brown friends from South of the Border. Remember how many lives have been permanently altered by the introduction of what was touted to be a not-so-addicting substance, known as cocaine. When in reality that specific drug does more permanent damage to the neuro-transmitter network of the brain than any hypnotic narcotic substance ever could. This is because the binding sites in your neurons and dendrites are at risk of becoming permanently altered at the cellular level, meaning at the chromosomal/genetic level to where the enzymes needed for optimal transmission of neuronal impulses becomes permanently impaired due to the non-recognition of the binding sites of these essential enzymes needed for balanced and focussed brain activity.

Imagine the control a small amount of people could essentially exert over a larger part of the populace by keeping them stoned on these illegal substances? It was, and has been done three or four times over since the death of JFK. So, yes this has more to do with the JFK assassination than readily met the eye, back in the early 60's. And, in 1968 I was under the impression that we were really over in VietNam for the tungsten and tin. Silly me.

"What does all this have to do with JFK."

Everything. Because, the removal of JFK meant the chance to grab for the keys to the kingdom, while traveling under the cover of fighting back those VietCong commies. It's the poppy fields and the processing labs that hold the fortune to made in opium, and China White sales. Especially to our troops, made up of the nation's poor white trash, not-hardly-Havard-material-but-need-to-make-a-living-just-the-same, and don't forget the "negro problem", along with our little brown friends from South of the Border. Remember how many lives have been permanently altered by the introduction of what was touted to be a not-so-addicting substance, known as cocaine. When in reality that specific drug does more permanent damage to the neuro-transmitter network of the brain than any hypnotic narcotic substance ever could. This is because the binding sites in your neurons and dendrites are at risk of becoming permanently altered at the cellular level, meaning at the chromosomal/genetic level to where the enzymes needed for optimal transmission of neuronal impulses becomes permanently impaired due to the non-recognition of the binding sites of these essential enzymes needed for balanced and focussed brain activity.

Imagine the control a small amount of people could essentially exert over a larger part of the populace by keeping them stoned on these illegal substances? It was, and has been done three or four times over since the death of JFK. So, yes this has more to do with the JFK assassination than readily met the eye, back in the early 60's. And, in 1968 I was under the impression that we were really over in VietNam for the tungsten and tin. Silly me.

Fascinating. It is definitely interesting the way people like Alfred McCoy, Daniel Sheehan, Gary Webb, etc. have been treated when they have tried to get this story out into the public domain. In some senses, this was even a bigger crime than the killing of JFK.

This did not happen to the book. While I was in Laos doing the research, CIA mercenaries made an assassination attempt on my research team. Even though I was a lowly graduate student at Yale University, I had an FBI phone tap, an IRS audit, an investigation of my federal fellowship by the US Department of Education, and, I believe, pressure my university to dismiss me from the graduate program. Once the book was published, the Agency threatened my sources in Laos to repudiate information they had given me. In sum, the Agency tugged at every thread in the threadbare life of an American graduate student. After the book was published and I finished my Ph.D., I found no academic employment in the US and migrated to Australia where I taught for 12 years.

Mr McCoy,

In your research, did you ever come across this person in Laos or elsewhere? I've been trying to put a name to this face for several years.

RJS

Edited by Richard J. Smith