The Education Forum

CIA station head in Chile in the 1950's

Does anyone happen to know who the chief/chiefs of the CIA station in Santiago were in the years 1950 to 1953?

I've been trying to find out as this person is referred to in DA Phillips book 'Nightwatch' but no luck on the internet so far. Phillips refers to him as 'Bob' but gives no other identifying details.

Thanks

Does anyone happen to know who the chief/chiefs of the CIA station in Santiago were in the years 1950 to 1953?

I've been trying to find out as this person is referred to in DA Phillips book 'Nightwatch' but no luck on the internet so far. Phillips refers to him as 'Bob' but gives no other identifying details.

Thanks

Try a search at Namebase: For example:

http://www.namebase.org/cgi-bin/nb03/chile?Na=1950-1959

Thanks

Francesca,

I don't think that the CIA Chief of Station Santiago recruited David Atlee Phillips, I believe it was the previous owner of the English language newspaper that Phillips edited and published, an outside contact, not an official one. Someone operating under deep cover and not an embassy officer.

And what makes you so sure it was a guy?

I do think that Phillips gives more hints and might come out and say his name somewhere, but he was always kind of shy about certain things.

In his books, especially Nightwatch and The Carlos Contract, Phillips goes out of his way to mention how suprised he was at how many women were agents, women he never expected would or could be so deeply involved in the Great Game.

There was also a lot of inter-marriages of spooks like Phillips - the Hunts, Wilsons, etc.

I think Phil Agee could help you too.

Whoever he/she was, they rose up the CIA ranks ahead of him - probably in Western Hem. Div.

Let us know what you come up with,

Bill Kelly