The Education Forum

Autopsy Table

John Dolva

good to hear from you Robin

I agree, here is an attempt to isolate the block with edges marked as I see them. Maybe wedge shaped?

(What does SOP mean?)

SOD "Stare of death" The death stare image, looking from the front.

Edited by Robin Unger

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.postmortemstudiorental.com/imag...rest%202189.JPG

great find Robin,

and from the same site: a vintage autopsy room microphone...

Edited by John Dolva

Hopefully this illustrates that

in considering the head one is looking at a number of curved surfaces that are from different parts

the outside of the head (which here may be the 'chin')

the inside of the skin

the outside of the skull

and the inside of the skull or the brain pan.

Each is in turn smaller and differently shaped. and the inside of the brain pan shape cannot be deduced from looking at the outside of the head, particularly at its base.

There are curved lines and indication on each of these surfaces in the photo.

By understanding what they all 'should ' look like it should be posssible to see clearly which way the head is turned.

I think it might be as suggested (right turn) with possibly a more front back tilt.

MRI scan slice at about middle of a head (direct top down) with the bone at back of head emphasised

I wonder if you could whip up a gif that changes from the undistorted to the distorted?

John,

I ran out of steam last night after messing around with Jack White's fake Z-Frame. Here is an animated GIF showing the effects of the equalization process on this particular image. Of course, the one displayed here is too small to work with -- it is included to show the areas in question. My photobucket page has the equalized version in the same size as the one you originally provided.

I'm out of image space, so I'm going to have to clear out some of my CD pictures. I can put them on photobucket if you still have use for them.

Edited by Frank Agbat

I think it might be as suggested (right turn) with possibly a more front back tilt.

MRI scan slice at about middle of a head (direct top down) with the bone at back of head emphasised

John,

I think you've got the right turn spot-on in this MRI image, and I agree that there is probably more front-back tilt. The "block" is probably near the hairline.

I believe that large, thick bone you have emphasized on the back of the MRI is the bone seen in the lower left of the BE7 photo as we have it oriented on this post. However, I want to emphasize that with my current line of thought, that I do NOT place the BE7 "thick bone on lower left" down by the hairline, but rather higher up the skull.

John,

I think you've got the right turn spot-on in this MRI image, and I agree that there is probably more front-back tilt. The "block" is probably near the hairline.

I believe that large, thick bone you have emphasized on the back of the MRI is the bone seen in the lower left of the BE7 photo as we have it oriented on this post. However, I want to emphasize that with my current line of thought, that I do NOT place the BE7 "thick bone on lower left" down by the hairline, but rather higher up the skull.

I wonder if my request was a bit unclear. I was thinking of the 'distortion corrected' photo I pasted above as being the distorted one and the usual as being undistorted.

I was hoping to see a morph between those two.

The equalised morph is interesting though. It shows how much is hidden on these images. My program uses equalise to mean grouping color values into 256 steps so some are shifted up and some down. This seems to help in removing some blemishes.

There is another function that shiftes the top end of the spectrum to the extreme value and the lower as well, thus spreading the entire spectrum out. Also there is the gamma which can be shifted up and down to highlightlight or dark areas. Then of course contrast and lightness.

____

The MRI shows an undamaged head with the rear of the skull highlighted. If I understand you correctly about bone location on the wound photo, then yes, I agree.

Edited by John Dolva

an illustration of how thick the tissue can be outside the skull. and how when taking it into account it seems not difficult to find body poses that work.

I've removed image for refinement, repost shortly

Edited by John Dolva

an illustration of how thick the tissue can be outside the skull. and how when taking it into account it seems not difficult to find body poses that work.

John,

I think you're most certainly going in the correct direction. with this conceptual picture.

It is also consistent with an observer, standing behind, saying they could "look directly into the president's head".

Thank you Frank, that'll help in finetuning the 'correction'. (BTW please remove images as needed. I'm saving as we go.)

Yhis indicates the items I think can be used to estimate body/head pose.

blue lines

1. Outside of skin to outside of skull giving tissue thickness and skull bone curvature. (Note the skull itself curves differently from the outside surface of the head.)

2. Suture line and shadow curvature.

3. 'cheek' 'ear' position and curvature

trapexoid muscle/shoulder curvature

red lines of sight

A. curved reflection

B. drainage hole

C. centre of photo

John,

I'm thinking we have possible gone the wrong way with the distortion correction.

The proximity of the lens to its target will create a fisheye effect on items nearer the lens. To cancel this effect, we need to pinch the image inward, not bow it out...

Thank's for the correction, Frank.

'normal'

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/yanndee/pbe7norm.jpg

same size 'pinched'

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/yan...nch50x50be7.jpg

I'm assuming a 5x7 format

Edited by John Dolva

I Colorized the frontal X-ray below to try and get a more 3-dimensional image of the head wound including bone thickness.

I don't see how it is possible that kennedy's face could have appeared natural with the massive loss of bone to the right frontal area of his head.

4992.jpg

post-110-1114079180.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger