The Education Forum

Albert Thomas

John Simkin

The photograph below has been posted before. However, I think it is worthwhile starting another thread on the man winking at LBJ. Albert Thomas was a close friend of LBJ. He was also a key figure in the Suite 8F Group. The reason for this was that he was chairman of the House Defense Appropriations Committee. In this position he was able to obtain a lot of government contracts for Brown & Root (Halliburton).

Thomas also served on the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy and was instrumental in securing the location of the United States National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA) and the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston in 1961 (built by Brown & Root).

Like other members of the Suite 8F Group, Thomas would have been very pleased with LBJ getting the top job.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKthomasA.htm

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2868

post-7-1138623741_thumb.jpg

I do not like besmirching the reputations of Americans regardless of their political affiliation.

If you have any evidence linking Thomas to the assassination (other than the alleged wink), let's hear it.

The truth of the matter is that you need to post on every thread even when you have nothing to say on the subject. As I have said before, as most members avoid your postings, it is probably an attempt to stop people reading the rest of the thread.

I have provided no evidence that Albert Thomas was involved in the assassination of JFK. All I have done is to provide information concerning his involvement in the Suite 8F Group. The fact that he winked at LBJ is just interesting and an example of inappropriate behaviour.

The photograph below has been posted before. However, I think it is worthwhile starting another thread on the man winking at LBJ. Albert Thomas was a close friend of LBJ. He was also a key figure in the Suite 8F Group.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKthomasA.htm

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2868

My first impression on viewing this photo (in David Lifton's book) was that Thomas's wink was a reflex action - - an automatic response to a wink from his friend LBJ. It is true we cannot see LBJ's face, but it is clear that LBJ had turned to look at Thomas for some reason, in what should have been a solemn moment during his swearing- in. November 22, 1963 was, after all, the day LBJ achieved his lifelong ambition; to become President of the US of A.

P.S. John, I notice there is some controversy on another thread about members not posting bios, etc and I am a guilty party here. I promise to post a picture of my ugly mug as soon as I can. There is a good one among the "Wanted" photos down at the Post Office.

P.P.S. I too try to avoid reading Tim Gratz's posts.

John wrote:

I have provided no evidence that Albert Thomas was involved in the assassination of JFK. [For once I agree with him!]. All I have done is to provide information concerning his involvement in the Suite 8F Group. The fact that he winked at LBJ is just interesting and an example of inappropriate behaviour.

[Emphasis supplied.]

And John has the temerity to say that I have "nothing to say on the subject". But John apparently started a new thread on Thomas because he believe's Thomas' wink at LBJ (if indeed it was one) was "inappropriate behaviour". Perhaps John's seminar in Dallas in 2016 can be on "The JFK Assassination and Inappropriate Behaviour."

What I did accomplish by my response was an admission from John that he has no evidence of any involvement by Thomas in the assassination. If Congressman Thomas has any progeny, I am sure they greatly appreciate that.

But let me add one point that may be of some interest. The night before the assassination there was an "Appreciation Dinner" for Congressman Thomas who was retiring. Present at that dinner was Jack Halfen who, allegedly, had delivered Marcello pay-off money to LBJ. Of course I do not suggest that Halfen attending the Thomas dinner implicates Thomas in the assassination (although it MAY suggest that Thomas was also a benefactor of Marcello largesse) but his presence may have delivered a message to LBJ that an open-ended investigation of what would happen might not be in LBJ's interest.

J. Robert Carroll wrote:

Of course you do. I am confident you read nothing that is inconsistent with your preconceived notions.

Edited by Tim Gratz

The picture above cuts out the person standing on the right. Please see the photograph below. It is Clifton C. Carter, the man who Billie Sol Estes says murdered Henry Marshall. The man next to him was a long term friend of Mac Wallace (they met at college). Wallace was the man who according to Estes, Johnson and Carter ordered to kill Marshall.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5988

post-7-1138707358_thumb.jpg

J. Robert Carroll wrote:

Of course you do. I am confident you read nothing that is inconsistent with your preconceived notions.

Actually it's Raymond, (most people call me Ray) not Robert (nobody calls me Bob and gets away with it). Mr. Gratz's confidence about getting my name right is as misplaced as his confidence about my "notions" concerning the JFK assassination. Said "notions" are the RESULT of many thousands of hours of research conducted without any preconceived outcome in mind. Any such "notions" are in any event provisional, held only on probation and subject to revision as new evidence comes to light, or as research and analysis shed new light on the evidence already extant.

Mr. Gratz sometimes asks relevant questions, but for the most part he seems to treat this forum as a chat room, (a room for idle chat) unfortunately dragging some of us along with him. Many times he posts responses without carefully reading the posts he is responding to, causing the original poster to waste time responding (for a current example, see the thread on the murder of Henry Marshall). Most other members try to use the forum as it was intended; for serious discussion of serious research.

When I realized that Kennedy was in Texas to attend Thomas' farewell party, and that he was a powerful ally of the MIC, and that he'd been a long time crony of Johnson's, l considered the possibility that the wink was more than a congrats. (As opposed to a Tim Gratz.) When I realized that Thomas was retiring because he was terminally ill, however, I decided that his wink was probably a wink of encouragement to his younger comrade, a la "I know you can do it, Lyndon." (As opposed to a "I'm glad that we done it, Lyndon.")

Nevertheless, in that John is an historian first, and a detective second, his creating a thread on Thomas and other members of Johnson's circle is completely appropriate. For some reason Tim thinks we should find evidence of anyone's involvement before we explore their connections, and possible motive. I think that's rather arbitrary. So much talk is made of the MIC or the CIA as if they were the boogie man that I believe the research community needs to spend more time looking at these men and seeing who they really were. There were real men with real power who disliked Kennedy. Apparently, at least one of them arranged for his murder. We can't identify the possible culprits without looking at their backgrounds and connections.

If, for example, John found that Albert Thomas was at Hunt's office the same time as Ruby and Braden, would that be significant? What if it turns out that Thomas' family were major stock holders in Bell helicopter, and that they'd purchased this stock in October 1963? You can't find if you don't look.

• 18 years later...
On 1/31/2006 at 12:48 PM, Pat Speer said:

When I realized that Kennedy was in Texas to attend Thomas' farewell party, and that he was a powerful ally of the MIC, and that he'd been a long time crony of Johnson's, l considered the possibility that the wink was more than a congrats. (As opposed to a Tim Gratz.) When I realized that Thomas was retiring because he was terminally ill, however, I decided that his wink was probably a wink of encouragement to his younger comrade, a la "I know you can do it, Lyndon." (As opposed to a "I'm glad that we done it, Lyndon.")

Nevertheless, in that John is an historian first, and a detective second, his creating a thread on Thomas and other members of Johnson's circle is completely appropriate. For some reason Tim thinks we should find evidence of anyone's involvement before we explore their connections, and possible motive. I think that's rather arbitrary. So much talk is made of the MIC or the CIA as if they were the boogie man that I believe the research community needs to spend more time looking at these men and seeing who they really were. There were real men with real power who disliked Kennedy. Apparently, at least one of them arranged for his murder. We can't identify the possible culprits without looking at their backgrounds and connections.

If, for example, John found that Albert Thomas was at Hunt's office the same time as Ruby and Braden, would that be significant? What if it turns out that Thomas' family were major stock holders in Bell helicopter, and that they'd purchased this stock in October 1963? You can't find if you don't look.

The whole reason JFK came down to Texas was at the pleading and urging of Cong. Albert Thomas. It was not to heal the wounds of a rift in the Texas Democratic party between the Sen. Ralph Yarborough liberals and the John Connally business conservatives.

KEY POINT: Albert Thomas enrolled at Houston's Rice University after his service in WWI where he became a COLLEGE ROOMMATE OF GEORGE BROWN. George Brown and his brother Herman Brown were Maximum Sugar Daddies to Congressman Lyndon Johnson starting in 1937 when LBJ helped them get the approval to complete the Mansfield Dam here in Austin, TX. What followed next was DECADES of LBJ funneling large government contracts to Brown and Root, a company that was controlled by the Brown brothers and was bought out by Halliburton in 1962. During the Vietnam War, LBJ continued to funnel massive defense contracts to Brown and Root, which was then known as KBR Kellogg Brown and Root. 

David Lifton on the critical role that Albert Thomas played in getting JFK to come to Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzHTU5VVXA&list=PL0O5WNzrZqINyzkmcG_mxtCdItyQLe93E&index=7

David Lifton says that Cong. Albert Thomas played a critical role in bringing JFK to Texas. Lifton said that in fall, 1963, when JFK was waffling about coming to Texas, Albert Thomas took a meat axe to the Space Program and demanded that JFK come to Texas to his dinner (I would like to see documentation for this!)

Cecil Stoughton on the infamous LBJ-Albert Thomas wink photo on Air Force One that was taken after LBJ was sworn in

Stoughton told author Richard Trask that the photo could have been “innocent or sinister. I lean toward the latter.”

[Richard Trask, That Day in Dallas, p. 47]

Cong. Albert Thomas, just after WWI, was a college roommate with George R. Brown who later became with his brother Herman Brown, Lyndon Johnson’s #1 sugar daddy

A worthy endeavor: How Albert Thomas won Houston NASA's flagship center (houstonchronicle.com)  - Sept 15, 2013, Houston Chronicle

The story begins almost 100 years ago in the dorms of Rice University. Shortly after World War I, Thomas roomed with, and befriended George R. Brown

UNQUOTE

Albert Thomas Find-a-Grave Albert Thomas (1898-1966) - Find a Grave Memorial

U.S. Congressman. During World War I, he served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. After the war, he graduated from Rice Institute, in 1920, the law department of the University of Texas, in 1926, was admitted to the bar in 1927 and began a law practice in Nacogdoches, Texas. He was attorney of Nacogdoches County, (1927-30), assistant U.S. District Attorney for the southern district of Texas, (1930-36). In 1937, he was elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-fifth and to the fourteen succeeding Congresses, serving until his death. At the time of his death, he was ranked eleventh in seniority in the U.S. House of Representatives. Also, his wife Lera Thomas was elected to complete his term and was the first woman to represent Texas in the U.S. House of Representatives.

UNQUOTE