The Education Forum

Biography: Margaret Holborow

Occupation - Part Time Computer Technician and full time mother of six. Studying for Advanced Internet Degree part Time. Location Cairns, Tropical Australia. 39 Years Old.

Margaret,

You live in God's country. Far North Queensland as far as I am concerned is the very best this planet has to offer. I live on the Gold Coast but my wife and I also spend a few months a year in Port Douglas.

James

Yes It really is the best place in the world to live. I call it my little Eden, I like the heat but many find it too hot and wet. It truly is nature at it's best though with beaches, tropical islands, great fishing, rainforests, secluded waterfalls, bright blue butterflies and mostly untouched territory.

I have some series of photos that I took of the area in the last year or so. I will find the link and post it so everyone can see the pure beauty of this place. Port Douglas is beautiful to. Im cranky at the moment because they are taking that lovely quaint waterfront church away and developing the land. Im not religious but that little by the sea chapel was a place of serene beauty and calmness in a world gone mad with tourism and developing the tourism dollar.

Daintree and Port Douglas - Cooktown Cape York Trip

A few pics above of the Port Douglas markets, beach and that lovely church I was talking about. Don't mind the horrid ones of me, I had been travelling and camping for a couple of days by that point.

The link above has pics of my children on it but this photo below is the all time classic picture of my baby girl

Choc Coated Cookie

13.jpg

http://www.rejectz.com/lw50.jpg

http://www.rejectz.com/lw072.jpg

http://www.rejectz.com/lw67.jpg

Pics Of My Home Town Marina

http://www.rejectz.com/crystalcascades.htm

Edited by Margaret Holborow

Great photos, Margaret.

My wife and I have an apartment just off Macrossan Street. It looks over the wonderful park area where the markets set up on Sunday.

An ex military man friend of mine who about 10 years ago was so depressed and screwed up that he attempted suicide, decided to move to Port Douglas. Now he runs a stall at the markets and is the happiest he has ever been. I spoke to him recently where he said that the old Port was good for his soul. I knew exactly what he was talking about. Like they say, if God owned Port Douglas and heaven, he would live in Port Douglas and rent out heaven.

James

Occupation - Part Time Computer Technician and full time mother of six. Studying for Advanced Internet Degree part Time. Location Cairns, Tropical Australia. 39 Years Old.

Margaret,

You live in God's country. Far North Queensland as far as I am concerned is the very best this planet has to offer. I live on the Gold Coast but my wife and I also spend a few months a year in Port Douglas.

James

Yes, box jellyfish, irikanji jellyfish, sharks, cane toads, crocodiles, Ross River fever, cyclones etc. Best on the planet, IMO.

Only joking. I think I'm Sydney-centric. :unsure:

p.s. welcome to the Forum, Margaret.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

Margaret,

James

Yes, box jellyfish, irikanji jellyfish, sharks, cane toads, crocodiles, Ross River fever, cyclones etc. Best on the planet, IMO.

Only joking. I think I'm Sydney-centric. :unsure:

Mark,

You forgot Taipans, cockroaches you can put a saddle on, mosquitoes with the attack capabilities of Apache Helicopters and Victorian tourists.

I lived in Sydney for a couple of years. Just watch out for those blind mullets at Bondi. ;)

James

Margaret,

James

Only joking. I think I'm Sydney-centric. :D

Mark,

You forgot Taipans, cockroaches you can put a saddle on, mosquitoes with the attack capabilities of Apache Helicopters and Victorian tourists.

I lived in Sydney for a couple of years. Just watch out for those blind mullets at Bondi. ;)

James

I vacationed in Port Douglas during the off-season some years back. Geckos on the walls, crocs in the marina, beautiful waitresses in the restaurants with no one to talk to... Snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef. Amazing. Came face to face with a 'cuda. Devoured an "Outback Special" in a local restaurant: crocodile, ostrich and kanga. Made another meal of something called a Morton Bay Bug, or something equally disgusting.

The strangest thing. however, was the local news. My ole high school chum John Elway and the Super Bowl were all over the sports. The lead stories however were all about stabbings. Stabbings, stabbings, more stabbings... It took me few days to realize that all the guns had been rounded up and that the criminals had to improvise...

Margaret,

James

Only joking. I think I'm Sydney-centric. :P

Mark,

I lived in Sydney for a couple of years. Just watch out for those blind mullets at Bondi. :stupid

James

James,

LOL. Lovely retort. Yes, those blind mullets were a problem. The deep water outlets have partially fixed the problem. I participated in the campaign to lobby the Government for those. Back in the old days, the outfalls at Malabar and North Head only had primary treatment for the effluent, which only turned large solids into smaller ones. Sometimes there were more mullets on a wave than surfers. Truly scary days.

Edited by Mark Stapleton