The Education Forum

June Cobb

I came across the name June Cobb by accident when I was reading that she had written an english translation of the book 'The Shark and the Sardines', by former President of Guatemala Juan Jose Arevalo that LHO loaned from the Dallas library shortly before the assassination. The name caught my eye because I wondered if she was related to Lloyd J. Cobb of the Trade Mart?

A quick google search didn't turn up much about her except that according to namebase she was in Cuba and Mexico in the early 60's.

I then put her name into the JFK document search facility at the nara website and came up with about 285 documents about her! Seems like the CIA had an interest in her at the very least.

Be very interested to know if she was related to Lloyd Cobb or his brother Alvin.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

thanks for the link, hadn't seen that page. Well, that's interesting indeed - I wonder how on earth she ended up as Castro's secretary, being an American?

Unfortunately I don't have any of the books she's mentioned as being in on namebase.org. Apparently she's mentioned in John Newman's 'Oswald and the CIA'.

COBB, VIOLA JUNE (MRS. JUNE SHARP IN 1977)

COBB, VIOLA JUNE (MRS. JUNE SHARP IN 1977

Sources: WC Vol 26, p. 428; HSCA, VOL. III (301-2, 304); HSCA Mexico City Report; CIA Box 6, Folder 8 (MMF 447, 452, 461); CIA Box 11, Folder 10, Doc 05953 (MMF 1149); CIA 592-593; HSCA Reel 10, Box 8, Folder D, E, F (AMKW 7); HSCA Reel 11, Box 8, Folder A, B, C, D, E, F (AMKW 8); HSCA Reel 54, Box 30, Folder B (AMKW 31); MMF 2146; CIA Doc JFK-104-10007-10037, p. 3

Was a CIA asset. LICOOKY-1. P-9381. Described as blonde, flew an airplane, track record for hitting a lot of beds in Cuba, had a twin sister involved in aviation. Following assassination, Cobb spent several days in home of Elena Garro de Paz in Mexico City (former wife of Mexican poet Octavio Paz). Cobb sent by a mutual friend, Eunice Odio, a Costa Rican and Cobb's roommate by Dec. 1965. Odio was former mistress of Dr. Jose Vasquez Ameral when he was with Rockefeller Foundation. In a Spanish language magazine, "Bohemia Internacional", an article by Herminio Portell-Vila "Change of Disguise", February 2, 1964, Fidel Castro is quoted as saying, "The first time OSWALD was in Cuba..." and "Fair Play, with the aid of JUNE COBB, organized excursions of 'students' and agitators from the United States to visit Communist Cuba with all expenses paid." HSCA asked CIA why there was no "P" file on her. "The name June Cobb as a double agent appears in the Rorke papers... Cobb forced, in the fall of 1960, a cousin of ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge to have an abortion when 'Lodge's' cousin (Marita Lorenz ?) was six months' pregnant with Fidel Castro's child"

John Newman has written extensively about June Cobb in Oswald and the CIA. Check out the sections of the book beginning with pages 106 and 377.

Anthony Summers wrote about Cobb as well. In The Arrogance of Power he discusses Cobb and her role in Lorenz's abortion. She also had some connection to Nixon. Since, beyond her connection to Lorenz/Castro, she ended up involved in the Duran/Oswald love affair story as well, I think it's reasonable to assume Cobb was CIA all the way, with a specialty in Latina honey traps... But that's just a guess...

Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess if she was involved in all that then Oswald must have known her? Weird coincidence about the library book. Am still trying to find out if sh ehad any connection the Cobb brothers. I will get John Newman's book soon - am still snowed under with a load of books I brought back from dallas!

Francesca,

According to Cuban-Exile.com she was Fidel's secretary.

See: http://cuban-exile.com/doc_301-325/doc0322.html

Maybe Mr Hemming could shed light on her role as he seems to be mentioned in the same document.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Mr Hemming could shed light on her role as he seems to be mentioned in the same document.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ms. Cobb, (the sister) as quite an accomplished pilot, really demonstrated many of her capabilities when she flew (ferried) many of the WWII vintage planes which were sold to various South/Central American countries.

Many of these planes being acquired and sold through the various CIA front companies such as those in which William D. Pawley became involved, as well as those sold to Cuba and to the anit-Castro elements as well.

What say yee Gerry???????

Tom

Edited by Thomas H. Purvis

so she was their sister then? Interesting, the whole family was CIA linked then. Further evidence of Shaw's links to CIA connected people through her brothers! Your post made me wonder if she was in any way connected to the plane that was used at redbird airport the afternoon of the assassination. If I remember rightly, later on researchers were able to trace the owner of the plane which turned out to be a CIA company.

I can't remeber the exact details now but I think the plane was sold shortly after the assassination and the serial number changed.

• 1 year later...

COBB, VIOLA JUNE (MRS. JUNE SHARP IN 1977)

Sources: WC Vol 26, p. 428; HSCA, VOL. III (301-2, 304); HSCA Mexico City Report; CIA Box 6, Folder 8 (MMF 447, 452, 461); CIA Box 11, Folder 10, Doc 05953 (MMF 1149); CIA 592-593; HSCA Reel 10, Box 8, Folder D, E, F (AMKW 7); HSCA Reel 11, Box 8, Folder A, B, C, D, E, F (AMKW 8); HSCA Reel 54, Box 30, Folder B (AMKW 31); MMF 2146; CIA Doc JFK-104-10007-10037, p. 3

Mary's

Comments: CIA asset. LICOOKY-1. P-9381. Described as blonde, flew an airplane, track record for hitting a lot of beds in Cuba, had a twin sister involved in aviation. Following assassination, Cobb spent several days in home of Sra. Elena Garro de Paz in Mexico City (former wife of Mexican poet Octavio Paz). Cobb sent by a mutual friend, Eunice Odio, a Costa Rican and Cobb's roommate by Dec. 1965. Odio was former mistress of Dr. Jose Vasquez Ameral when he was with Rockefeller Foundation. In a Spanish language magazine, "Bohemia Internacional", an article by Herminio Portell-Vila "Change of Disguise", February 2, 1964, Fidel Castro is quoted as saying, "The first time OSWALD was in Cuba..." and "Fair Play, with the aid of JUNE COBB, organized excursions of 'students' and agitators from the United States to visit Communist Cuba with all expenses paid." HSCA asked CIA why there was no "P" file on her. "The name June Cobb as a double agent appears in the Rorke papers... Cobb forced, in the fall of 1960, a cousin of ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge to have an abortion when 'Lodge's' cousin (Marita Lorenz ?) was six months' pregnant with Fidel Castro's child" (MMF 2146).

The above post is taken from the MFF biography page.........

See

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...wRec.do?id=2459

Kinda hate the last paragraph....reminds me of those Enquirer type stories..."I was Fidel's sex slave".....

Would be interesting to know who was doing the translating, [if anyone] on Fidel's "first time Oswald was in Cuba"..........

• 1 year later...
Has anyone got any information about June Cobb's relationship with Tom Clines?

Interesting question, John.

May I inquire if you have a reason for asking?

James

I initially thought that in the 1980s Clines was living with Cobb. However, after checking my sources I realize I was mistaken.