The Education Forum

Help with posting messages

It is clear that some members have difficulty with using the “quote” feature of the Forum. Therefore, here are some basic instructions on how to do it. Select the post of the person you wish to quote. Displayed below each post on the far right is button that says “REPLY. If you press this button, an extra text field will appear in the main text input box. At the top it will look like this:

Below will be the text from the posting you wish to reply to. This will include the following:

In order to get the desired effect it is important to make sure that you leave in as this seems to be the main mistake people are making.

You then type your reply under quote. Press ADDREPLY when you are finished.

Please use this thread to ask for help concerning the use of this Forum.

Select the post of the person you wish to quote. Displayed below each post on the far right is button that says “REPLY. If you press this button

Just to clarify, you have to press the QUOTE button first, to select the post (the QUOTE button will light up), before pressing REPLY.

I would also like to suggest that people select a representative sentence or paragraph of a long post they're replying to, instead of quoting what would be an entire book chapter in print, forcing people to scroll all the way down through the quote to see the reply. And then the next person does the same thing, and then the next person . . .

Just to clarify, you have to press the QUOTE button first, to select the post (the QUOTE button will light up), before pressing REPLY.

I would also like to suggest that people select a representative sentence or paragraph of a long post they're replying to, instead of quoting what would be an entire book chapter in print, forcing people to scroll all the way down through the quote to see the reply. And then the next person does the same thing, and then the next person . . .

No you don't have to touch the QUOTE button. I agree about selecting a small passage rather than the whole posting.

Select the post of the person you wish to quote. Displayed below each post on the far right is button that says “REPLY.

John is correct; you do not have to hit the "Quote" button at all. Just hit "Reply" and the post being addressed will already be there. As long as you don't remove the quote brackets, the quoted post will appear in its own box. The newly posted text must be typed outside of those brackets. Ron is of course correct that if you shorten the quoted segment to the germaine portion, the post will be more succinct and effective.

T.C.

Then I've been doing it wrong by pressing a useless QUOTE button. Pardon me for protrudin'.

It is clear that some members have difficulty with using the “quote” feature of the Forum. Therefore, here are some basic instructions on how to do it. Select the post of the person you wish to quote. Displayed below each post on the far right is button that says “REPLY. If you press this button, an extra text field will appear in the main text input box. At the top it will look like this:

Below will be the text from the posting you wish to reply to. This will include the following:

In order to get the desired effect it is important to make sure that you leave in

as this seems to be the main mistake people are making.

I felt the crosshairs centtering in on me when I read this post....talk about embarrassing.

Thanks for the tip and I will try to get it right. Bear with me.

Chuck

Well, I still don't have any luck. I pressed reply and then addreply when finished...?? Arrgghh..i'll try later.

Edited by Chuck Robbins

In order to get the desired effect it is important to make sure that you leave in

I felt the crosshairs centtering in on me when I read this post....talk about embarrassing.

Thanks for the tip and I will try to get it right. Bear with me.

Chuck

Well, I still don't have any luck. I pressed reply and then addreply when finished...?? Arrgghh..i'll try later.

Please use this thread to ask for help concerning the use of this Forum

:tomatoes

Don't worry Chuck, I can't do it either. I suspect it's a conspiracy to make fools of us. :lol::lol::lol:

Question: What about the "wrap in a quote" icon, second from the right, up top. Is that used?

Don't worry Chuck, I can't do it either. I suspect it's a conspiracy to make fools of us. :tomatoes:lol::lol:

Seems easy to me :lol:

So is using the quote tags :lol::lol:

Is there a way to ensure that you DO NOT get the threaded mode when you open a topic? Sometimes I get the posts to open sequentially by simply scrolling down (as in Lancer's "view all" feature), but usually I get the thread which means extra work and is a bit of a pain.

Is there a way to ensure that you DO NOT get the threaded mode when you open a topic? Sometimes I get the posts to open sequentially by simply scrolling down (as in Lancer's "view all" feature), but usually I get the thread which means extra work and is a bit of a pain.

If you go directly to a specific area of the forum without searching you will have to trawl through everything that has been posted there.

I would suggest you use one of the search facilities - either click "view active topics" and then select what you would like to see or "view new posts"

I knew how to use this forum till I read this thread. Now it's going to be touch and go.