The Education Forum

Thomas Webb

Clark R. Mollenhoff's book, Despoilers of Democracy is very good on the corrupt activities of LBJ. Mollenhoff also took a close interest in the Don B. Reynolds case. During his testimony to the Senate Rules Committee, Reynolds claimed he had been involved in a Florida land-development project in partnership with Bobby Baker, Scott I. Peck (the former administrative assistant to Senator George Smathers) and Thomas E. Webb. I had never come across the name of Thomas E. Webb before. His name is of interest as he was Clint Murchison's financial adviser. Anybody know anything about Webb?

Clark R. Mollenhoff's book, Despoilers of Democracy is very good on the corrupt activities of LBJ. Mollenhoff also took a close interest in the Don B. Reynolds case. During his testimony to the Senate Rules Committee, Reynolds claimed he had been involved in a Florida land-development project in partnership with Bobby Baker, Scott I. Peck (the former administrative assistant to Senator George Smathers) and Thomas E. Webb. I had never come across the name of Thomas E. Webb before. His name is of interest as he was Clint Murchison's financial adviser. Anybody know anything about Webb?

John:

There's a difference in the middle intial, but I think we're talking about the same man...

The following is from a page by page synopsis of Bob Goodman's "Triangle Of Fire," prepared by Martin Shackelford about ten years back:

"p. 186: D.H. Byrd, owner of the Texas School Book Depository, was one of

the Del Charro crowd who regularly stayed at Murchison's exclu-

sive La Jolla, California hotel. Oilman Byrd was a co-founder of

the Civil Air Patrol. Bobby Baker received money from a Murchison

company, the Haitian American Company. [Note DeMohrenschildt's

Texas and Haitian connections]. Baker associate Thomas D. Webb Jr.

represented the Murchison interests in Washington.

p. 188: Murchison and Thomas Webb knew Ruby; DeMohrenschildt knew Murch-

ison and worked for one of his companies. The Vito Genovese Mafia

family owned 20% of the Murchison Oil Lease Company in the early

1950's. From 1955-1965, Murchison's business were the subject

of Federal probes.

pp. 188-189: Murchison owned the Del Mar race track, which employed

Sirhan Sirhan, and where J. Edgar Hoover often attended.

p. 189: Hoover recommended that Murchison hire Thomas D. Webb Jr.,

a 17 year FBI veteran and one of Hoover's administrative

assistants. Murchison:"Money is like manure. If you spread it

around, it does a lot of good." Murchison tried to drive Ross

Perot's computer company out of business.

John:

There's a difference in the middle intial, but I think we're talking about the same man...

The following is from a page by page synopsis of Bob Goodman's "Triangle Of Fire," prepared by Martin Shackelford about ten years back:

"p. 186: D.H. Byrd, owner of the Texas School Book Depository, was one of

the Del Charro crowd who regularly stayed at Murchison's exclu-

sive La Jolla, California hotel. Oilman Byrd was a co-founder of

the Civil Air Patrol. Bobby Baker received money from a Murchison

company, the Haitian American Company. [Note DeMohrenschildt's

Texas and Haitian connections]. Baker associate Thomas D. Webb Jr.

represented the Murchison interests in Washington.

p. 188: Murchison and Thomas Webb knew Ruby; DeMohrenschildt knew Murch-

ison and worked for one of his companies. The Vito Genovese Mafia

family owned 20% of the Murchison Oil Lease Company in the early

1950's. From 1955-1965, Murchison's business were the subject

of Federal probes.

pp. 188-189: Murchison owned the Del Mar race track, which employed

Sirhan Sirhan, and where J. Edgar Hoover often attended.

p. 189: Hoover recommended that Murchison hire Thomas D. Webb Jr.,

a 17 year FBI veteran and one of Hoover's administrative

assistants. Murchison:"Money is like manure. If you spread it

around, it does a lot of good." Murchison tried to drive Ross

Perot's computer company out of business.

Webb's Obit

Thomas Daugherty Webb Jr., a former FBI agent and power lobbyist who

looked after the Washington DC interests of Texas multimillionaire

Clint W. Murchison Jr. for 30 years, died of congestive heart failure

March 21, 2003, at a hospital in Star Valley, Wyoming, at the age of

As Murchison's representative in Washington, Mr. Webb played a role in

obtaining the rights for the Washington Redskins to the team's fight

song, "Hail to the Redskins," in exchange for the support by Redskins

ownership of the entry of the Dallas Cowboys into the National

Football League.

From 1952 until the 1980s, Mr. Webb handled the Washington financial

and legal interests of the Murchison family businesses, which included

oil and gas operations, construction and other endeavors, including

the Dallas Cowboys.

A former center on the University of Maryland football team, Mr. Webb

was said to be the founding father of the Washington chapter of the

Dallas Cowboys fan club and annually hosted an extravagant pregame

party when the Cowboys played the Redskins in Washington. Only when

they played the Cowboys did he root against the Redskins, he said.

Invariably these Redskins-Cowboys games were accompanied by a variety

of pranks and escapades inspired by Mr. Webb, including, on one

occasion, the riding of a horse into Duke Zeibert's restaurant on L

Street NW and, another time, a plot -- thwarted at the last minute --

to release a flock of chickens on the field of what then was called

D.C. Stadium.

In the 1950s, when the Cowboys were petitioning for an NFL franchise,

they faced formidable opposition from Redskins owner George Preston

Marshall, who feared that a team in Dallas would encroach on the

southern fan base that had traditionally been exclusive Washington

Redskin territory.

But Mr. Webb had been a classmate at Washington's Western High School

of Barnee Breeskin, who with Marshall's ex-wife, Corinne Griffith

Marshall, had written "Hail to the Redskins" in 1938. In 1959, Mr.

Webb acquired from Breeskin his rights to the song, which he then

turned over to Murchison. In January 1960, after having bitterly

opposed an NFL expansion, Marshall did an about-face and voted to

admit the Dallas Cowboys to the NFL.

"I made a deal with young Clint Murchison," Marshall told Morris

Siegel, the late Washington Star columnist, in 1960. "I told him I

would vote for him if he got his man in Washington, Webb, to let me

have his rights to MY song. Murchison agreed." At the time, Marshall

had already obtained from his ex-wife her share of the rights to the

song.

Mr. Webb was born in Statesville, N.C., and came to Washington as

teenager. He played football and golf at Western High School and won a

football scholarship to Maryland, where in 1933 he was a center on the

last team coached by H.C. (Curly) Byrd, who later became president of

the university.

During the 1930s, he served in the Marine Corps Reserve and studied

law at George Washington University. In 1939, he passed the D.C. bar

exam and shortly thereafter became a special agent of the FBI. His

career included tracking down bank robbers in Colorado and Wyoming and

running a training center at Quantico for police officers and Marines.

At the request of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, he took the Duke and

Duchess of Windsor to a target range for a shooting demonstration. His

last FBI post was special assistant to the director.

As Murchison's man in Washington, Mr. Webb was described as

irrepressible and effusive, with a network of powerful and

well-connected friends. He was known as an enthusiastic party-giver

and especially as the host of a men-only extravaganza at his home in

Potomac with a guest list of about 350 business and political leaders

who dined on such fare as wild boar, Alaskan brown bear, venison,

buffalo, wild duck and goose.

In the early 1990s, he moved to Wyoming.

Edited by Greg Parker

Terrific information, Greg.

Nothing much to add except that Robert F. Thompson, an associate in the vast interests of the Murchison family, testified in the Bobby Baker investigation that Webb was a sort of public relations man, a bird dog on construction jobs. Thompson also said that Webb was the key man in negotiating a loan with Jimmy Hoffa for a real estate deal in Florida for Webb and Bobby Baker.

Thompson continued by saying that Webb was paid out of funds of the Tecon Corporation. Webb definitely moved amongst some interesting company.

James

great information Greg, James and Robert. Mollenhoff clearly made a mistake with the middle name. During his testimony Reynolds said he accompanied Webb to the Teamsters' Union building in Washington for discussions with Jimmy Hoffa to discuss a loan for $15,000 for the Wertco land-development project near Jackson.

The fact that Webb was a lobbyist in Washington for the oil industry makes him especially interesting. This is the same job performed by Tommy Corcoran, Irving Davidson, Fred Black and Bobby Baker. He therefore becomes another candidate as the man who passed the money to the people who carried out the assassination (Gene Wheaton claims that Davidson played that role).

The comment that he was paid by the Tecon Corporation could also be significant. As you know, Fred Korth was sacked as Secretary of the Navy by JFK in October, 1963, for his role in the TFX scandal. However, he was also sacked for his role in the granting of the X-22 contract. A few weeks after replacing John Connally in 1961, Korth overruled top Navy officers who had proposed that the X-22 contract be given to Douglas Aircraft Corporation. Instead he insisted the contract be granted to the more expensive bid of the Bell Aerosystem Development Company. This was a subsidiary of Bell Aerospace Corporation of Forth Worth, Texas. For many years Korth had been a director of Bell. The chairman of the company, Lawrence Bell, was a fellow member of the Suite 8F Group. In 1960 the Bell Aerospace Corporation was in serious financial difficulty and was taken over by the Tecon Corporation.

John Simkin Posted Today, 07:12 AM

great information Greg, James and Robert. Mollenhoff clearly made a mistake with the middle name. During his testimony Reynolds said he accompanied Webb to the Teamsters' Union building in Washington for discussions with Jimmy Hoffa to discuss a loan for $15,000 for the Wertco land-development project near Jackson.

The fact that Webb was a lobbyist in Washington for the oil industry makes him especially interesting. This is the same job performed by Tommy Corcoran, Irving Davidson, Fred Black and Bobby Baker. He therefore becomes another candidate as the man who passed the money to the people who carried out the assassination (Gene Wheaton claims that Davidson played that role).

The comment that he was paid by the Tecon Corporation could also be significant. As you know, Fred Korth was sacked as Secretary of the Navy by JFK in October, 1963, for his role in the TFX scandal. However, he was also sacked for his role in the granting of the X-22 contract. A few weeks after replacing John Connally in 1961, Korth overruled top Navy officers who had proposed that the X-22 contract be given to Douglas Aircraft Corporation. Instead he insisted the contract be granted to the more expensive bid of the Bell Aerosystem Development Company. This was a subsidiary of Bell Aerospace Corporation of Forth Worth, Texas. For many years Korth had been a director of Bell. The chairman of the company, Lawrence Bell, was a fellow member of the Suite 8F Group. In 1960 the Bell Aerospace Corporation was in serious financial difficulty and was taken over by the Tecon Corporation.

Since I've joined this Forum the degree of wheeling and dealing and the amount of corruption in recent US history just keeps me amazed. My understanding is that in most western countries corruption of this nature is quickly weeded out and taken care of by the legal system and investigative journalism of the free press. Why were these individuals never prosecuted?

Since I've joined this Forum the degree of wheeling and dealing and the amount of corruption in recent US history just keeps me amazed. My understanding is that in most western countries corruption of this nature is quickly weeded out and taken care of by the legal system and investigative journalism of the free press. Why were these individuals never prosecuted?

As members most probably realize, I am more interested in the whole history of political corruption than I am with the JFK case (this is just one example of this corruption that has come close to destroying democracy).

The main reason that they get away with it is because of the way the network has been created. It has pulled into its web politicians, businessmen, journalists, military officers and leading figures in the intelligence agencies. In cases like the JFK assassination, Watergate and Iran-Contra scandal, the public gets glimpses of what is going on, but there is no mechanism to fully expose the network that I am describing here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5799

Those who do try to expose the MICIC usually end up dead, discredited or corrupted.

There is also the other problem of the public being unwilling to believe that the democracy they are living in is a sham.

We are currently having a police investigation into political corruption in the UK. Although it is clear that there is a close link between donations to political parties and government favours (PFI contracts, planning permissions for buildings, peerages, government legislation, etc.) nobody will be charged with any offence. Government corruption is very sophisticated in today’s world. The only risk is with the person’s reputation for honesty and integrity. Blair and Bush lost that a long time ago.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6382