The Education Forum

Gary Mack and the Sixth Floor Museum

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I addressed a recent post to Gary Mack:

However, in addition to the other books you are considering, I hope you will also consider, if you have not already done so, recent books by... Vince Palamara and Ian Griggs.

Gary emailed me the very next day to say that Debra Conway had promised to submit Ian Griggs's book, and that he looked forward to reviewing it with a view to its inclusion in the museum's bookstore, though of course he made no up-front promises.

He also told me that, if and when Vince Palamara submits his book, it too will be given due consideration. He assured me that Vince's book would not be disqualified simply on the grounds that it was self-published.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

He recently expressed interest in Ian Griggs' and Larry Hancock's books. If, for some reason, he is solicited on these books but refuses to stock them, then maybe there's a case to be made against the museum. RJS

After reading through this thread I think it is important that I make a few comments.

The idea that review copies must be received by Gary Mack as criteria to be sold at the museum gift shop is not the industry standard. Sending a review copy is a courtesy, an important one to be sure, but is mostly directed at the press or persons that write reviews. I have a form letter that I update when a book comes out to request a review copy. I do not wait and see if one shows up at my door. I consider it my responsibility to request these books.

Regardless, I have not sent review copies of any JFK Lancer materials to the Sixth Floor or Gary Mack. Why?

• William Law's book contained the autopsy photos of President Kennedy. I did not feel this was appropriate for the museum’s gift shop. JFK Lancer didn't wish to be known as the publisher of the autopsy photos to tourists.

• I did not send a copy of Ian Griggs' book because he has a chapter on Beverly Oliver accepting her as the Babushka Lady. Gary Mack has a longstanding problem with Ms. Oliver and Gary Shaw (the researcher she first "came out" to) and I knew that would make the book unacceptable to him.

I do plan to send Gary Mack a copy of Larry Hancock's book in the hope that he will recommend it for the gift shop. As Gary stated he is not responsible for the placement of books in the gift shop, I will also send one to the museum gift shop buyer. It is a good and scholarly work and I feel that along with other books on the JFK administration and the assassination, “Someone Would Have Talked” may be a good fit for them.

Gary has stated "The guidelines were simple: titles and content must be up-to-date, accurate, fair and objective, properly sourced, and are primarily an examination of the historical record, not pushing some pet theory. The Museum does history, not theories." I visited the gift shop just a few weeks ago. I noticed they have both "Case Closed" and Lambert's "False Witness" for sale. Both these books have been shown to contain major misrepresentations and have a definite bias towards character assassination. Likewise, David Wrone's book on the Zapruder film is there, even though it contains a controversial chapter (theory) on the Oswald/Lovelady man-on-the-steps issue that I thought was resolved years ago. Confusingly, a book by a witness such as James Tague is denied for minor “errors”. This shows inconsistency on their part.

In the past my opinion has been that if the museum’s gift shop contains an assassination corner, it should offer a good mix of items that represent the current state of the case, not one person’s personal book shelf or opinion based on some unknown criteria. Maybe with a little sign stating the museum is not promoting any claims made in the books. After all, the visitors are there because President Kennedy was killed. They might wish to read the latest books about it.

Now I am thinking maybe as long as there is this confusion over how assassination books are accepted, perhaps none should be there.

Sincerely,

Debra

--

JFK Lancer Productions & Publications

http://www.jfklancer.com

Edited by Debra Conway

I did not send a copy of Ian Griggs' book because he has a chapter on Beverly Oliver accepting her as the Babushka Lady. Gary Mack has a longstanding problem with Ms. Oliver and Gary Shaw (the researcher she first "came out" to) and I knew that would make the book unacceptable to him....

Debra

--

Hi, Debra. I do not know Gary Mack except by reputation (although we have exchanged a few emails in passing), but I seriously doubt that he would reject a book simply because he does not agree with everything in it. FWIW, I have serious doubts about Beverly Oliver myself, but I would not reject Ian's book on that account.

I bet you twenty bucks that Gary will accept Ian's book for inclusion in the museum's bookstore if you submit it.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

....... I seriously doubt that he would reject a book simply because he does not agree with everything in it.

You are correct because if I am correct .... Gary believes that his Badge Man observation is correct, thus he would then keep any books that said that 'only three shots were fired from the rear' from being sold, but he doesn't.

Bill

'Bill Miller'

....... I seriously doubt that he would reject a book simply because he does not agree with everything in it.

You are correct because if I am correct .... Gary believes that his Badge Man observation is correct, thus he would then keep any books that said that 'only three shots were fired from the rear' from being sold, but he doesn't.

Bill

dgh01: I've got an intertesting concept: the 6th floor Museum is a 501-c-3, non-profit corporation, so ASK Gary who makes the *book* decesions? Is it him, a committee, the BofD's, or a flock of advisors that make the FINAL decesion regarding publications -- Who knows, Gary may be out of the loop. I've never seen a 501c3 non-profit corp that wasn't choked by advisors (some they weren't aware they even had) while trying to make ANY decesion... personally, I could care less what they sell, print or air --

The only place that gives me pause to reflect on JFK, the man and his policies is R E Lee's house above the gravesite at Arlington Cemetary, looking back twoards D.C. No museum fills that hole!

As to a curators personal opinion regarding this case, I would hope he leaves THAT at the front door of the TSBD/Museum

So ask him?

'Debra Conway' wrote:

[...]

Now I am thinking maybe as long as there is this confusion over how assassination books are accepted, perhaps none should be there.

Sincerely,

Debra

--

good insight Debra -- if it went to a vote on books, I'd say the Warren Commission Report, ONLY... Every book, pamphlet, multimedia piece on the assassination should dwell in the real world: Amazon, Barnes and Noble and broadband internet, well -- the book bin at K-Mart!

Edited by David G. Healy

dgh01: do they sell a version of the Z-film in their bookstore, do they have a frame from the Z-film on the wall anywhere in the bookstore OR museum, do they mention the Z-film in any of the promotional material? So,the museum has the Z-film copyrights?

And the Museum selling a version of the Zapruder film preserves the in-camera original how, David? What you are saying has nothing to do with the remark you made earlier ... "the 6th floor museum has been assigned the chore to administer/preserve the in-camera Zapruder Film".

dgh01: with all this history you've learned, you can surely post the official chain of custody line regarding the first 60 day's for the in-camera Zapruder film, yes?...

Read Trask's books. Besides, it matters little if if the exisiting Zapruder film has been authenticated.

dgh01: PPS, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm not going to tell your mother... that illogical enough?

Actually you are being logical even though you didn't mean to be. My Mother died in 1978, so yo are correct in saying that you aren't going to be telling her anything anytime soon.

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller

• 2 weeks later...

The Sixth Floor Museum's website has a Guest Book/Memory Book that has over twenty thousand entries.

Some of those people have been to the museum, many haven't.

http://www.jfk.org/Guest_Memory_Book/Guest...y_Book_View.asp

The entries range from silly to quite moving. So many expressed their love and admiration for President Kennedy. I was stuck by the fact that almost everyone that was old enough to remember that day were children or young adults when it happened.

Many people share their memory of where they were and what they were doing that tragic day. I got the often unspoken impression that not very many thought Oswald acted alone; his name is hardly ever mentioned. Although few people show any evidence of seriously studying conspiracy claims.

There were many more positive impressions of the museum than negative.

Kennedy was respected not only by many citizens of the United States, but also in Canada, Europe, and Latin America.

In the endless discussions about conspiracy, it does seem easy to sometimes fail to vividly remember the horror of that day. These entries by common people reinforce that a great President was murdered in unspeakably brutal fashion, and that our nation and the world did indeed suffer a monumental loss.

In closing, here is what a couple of servicemen said about that day:

"I was at Ft Walters in Mineral Wells, Texas attnding the U.S. Army Helicopter Flight Course when it happened. We were put on high alert and eventually marched around the post in formation to give us something to do. A week or so later on pass, I visited Dealy Plaza and walked the grounds. Prior to graduation from Basic Training, I had qualified "expert" with a M14 rifle. Even with this training, I instantly rejected the "lone gunman" theory."

and:

"I was in Pearl Harbor on the USS Halsey Powell DD686.Half the guys were on shore and we went to sea at battle ready,I was sad and scared it was my first cruise and I was the only cook left on board.(this is strange we were told it was a Russian plot out of Cuba that is why we left the harbor quickly and only half the men)"

Edited by Michael Hogan

• 1 month later...

I was watching episode 3 of “The Men Who Killed Kennedy”. It was long before Gary’s current disinformation job and he actually spoke a lot of sense. He clearly has changed a great deal since then. I wonder if he sells TMWKK at the museum?

post-7-1153636128_thumb.jpg

I was watching episode 3 of “The Men Who Killed Kennedy”. It was long before Gary’s current disinformation job and he actually spoke a lot of sense. He clearly has changed a great deal since then. I wonder if he sells TMWKK at the museum?

Of course not...not in all the times I have visited the Museum store.

Only neutral or lone nut stuff (like Posner or Trask).

From the 1970s till 1991, Gary was one of the best researchers around.

In 1992 he did a 180 after meeting Dave Perry.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

Jack

Gary Mack believes there was a conspiracy, but needs to remain neutral while representing the Museum. Gary believes that you and his Badge Man work is valid.

As far as knowing what the Museum sells ... you didn't even know about Trask's book "National Nightmare" being sold there. National Nightmare is a book on the Zapruder film which you claim to have an interest in.

Jack

Gary Mack believes there was a conspiracy, but needs to remain neutral while representing the Museum. Gary believes that you and his Badge Man work is valid.

As far as knowing what the Museum sells ... you didn't even know about Trask's book "National Nightmare" being sold there. National Nightmare is a book on the Zapruder film which you claim to have an interest in.

Except to visit relatives, I have not been to Dallas in two years;

how should I know what is current at the bookstore? I know

from experience that it has little that I need or want.

Jack

Except to visit relatives, I have not been to Dallas in two years;

how should I know what is current at the bookstore? I know

from experience that it has little that I need or want.

Jack

It seems to me that if you wish to make a post telling what the book store sells, then you may want to have visited there within the past few years.

I might also add that had you of been there in the past few years ... you would have known about "National Nightmare" and many of your erred post could have been avoided, but like you said, "it has little that I need or want".

Maybe had you of been there in the past few years - you could have done as I did and asked Gary to allow you to see a wealth of very clear assassination photos, (many I had never seen before), but then again like you said, "it has little that I need or want".

Maybe had you of been there in the past few years you could have seen a really good image of Sitzman in her high heels that you believed was not the case because she was too tall, which we now know was not the case, but maybe avoiding being wrong on that point as well was as you said, "it has little that I need or want".

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller