• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6111001384.html

Why the FBI Is Coming After Me

By Ann Louise Bardach

Sunday, November 12, 2006; Page B03

As a rule, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. They tend to be tidy and selective, whereas life seems so random and messy. But the case of Cuban militant and would-be Fidel Castro assassin Luis Posada Carriles has sorely tested my convictions.

I've been writing about Posada for nearly a decade. I interviewed him in Aruba for a series of articles in the New York Times in 1998. He was a fugitive who had escaped from Venezuela in 1985 while awaiting trial in the 1976 bombing of a Cuban passenger plane that killed all 73 people aboard-- the first deadly act of airline terrorism in the Americas. Posada has maintained his innocence, but in a rare instance of unanimity, the CIA and the FBI, as well as Venezuelan, Trinidadian and Cuban intelligence, concluded that he and fellow militant Orlando Bosch had masterminded the bombing.

Last year, I wrote an Outlook article about Posada's surprise arrival in Miami, where he filed a claim for political asylum. Not only did this move strike many as brazen, but it also seemed incomprehensible that the Bush administration, so committed to what it calls the War on Terror, could have allowed someone of Posada's notoriety to slip into the country.

Soon after, Homeland Security Department officials got around to arresting Posada and charging him with illegal entry. I assumed that the Justice Department would act on his self-admitted history of paramilitary attacks and extradite him somewhere, and that I'd just continue to cover his case. Instead, the government has dithered for a year and a half while Posada languishes in an immigration jail in Texas.

And I, meanwhile, have found myself an unwitting player in the tangled drama of the United States and Luis Posada.

Not long after Posada's arrest, FBI and Homeland Security agents began to phone me, seeking information about the New York Times series. One agent came right out and asked if I'd share my research materials -- as well as my copies of FBI and CIA files on Posada. "Do us a favor," he said. "We can't find ours." I laughed politely, assuming it was a strained attempt at humor. But he wasn't kidding.

In August 2003, the Miami bureau of the FBI made the startling decision to close its case on Posada. Subsequently, according to FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela, several boxes of evidence were removed from the bureau's evidence room, or the "bulky," as it is known. Among the documents that disappeared was the original signed fax that Posada had sent to collaborators in New Jersey in 1997, complaining of the U.S. media's reluctance to believe reports about a series of bombings in Cuba, which he hoped would scare tourists and investors away from Castro's island.

I had shown Posada a copy of this fax during my interviews with him. The fax had been intercepted by Antonio Alvarez, a Cuban exile and businessman who had shared office space with Posada in Guatemala in 1997. Alarmed, Alvarez had notified agents from the FBI's Miami bureau, but when they took no action, he had turned to the Times.

"If there is no publicity, the job is useless," Posada wrote in the fax. "The American newspapers publish nothing that has not been confirmed. I need all the data from the [bombing of the] discotheque in order to try to confirm it." It was signed "Solo," his nom de guerre.

Posada fretted to me that the fax could cause him problems with the FBI. But he had no need to worry.

Hector Pesquera, the special agent in charge of the Miami FBI bureau at the time, showed little interest in Posada's case. To his agents' distress, he enjoyed socializing with Miami's hard-line exile politicians, and denied agents' requests for wiretaps on Bosch, known as the godfather of the paramilitary groups, as well as other militants suspected of ongoing criminal activity. Pesquera shuttered investigations into exile militants, agents say, before retiring in December 2003.

Without the materials that were removed from the evidence room, which also included cables and money transfers between Posada and his collaborators in the Cuban bombings, a criminal prosecution of Posada is severely hobbled. Orihuela, the FBI spokeswoman, explained that "the supervisory agent in charge and someone from the U.S. attorney's office would have had to sign off" before evidence is removed and destroyed. She confirmed that the approval to dispose of the evidence was given by the case agent on Posada, who happened to be Ed Pesquera -- Hector's son.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night C4 showed Dollan Cannell’s documentary, “638 ways to Kill Fidel Castro”. Luis Posada was briefly interviewed but provided little useful information. However, his close friends who were looking after him openly admitted that he had been involved in terrorist activities. In fact, they quoted him justifying his actions. The narrator also explored Posada’s relationship with the Bush family.

The film then showed a clip of George Bush making a speech where he says “people who harbour terrorists, are also terrorists”. This was followed by an explanation of how the Bush family had protected Bosch and Posada over the years. In case the viewer had not grasped the point, Wayne Smith appeared on camera to argue that by his own definition, George Bush was a terrorist.

• 5 months later...

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/ar...iew/5336/1/260/

Would a Posada Trial be more relevant than Padilla's Trial?

By Chris Stevenson

Many of you are no-doubt aware of the current trial of Jose Padilla the American born Hispanic accused of terrorist activity in connection with al Qaeda. The simple fact of the matter is after three and a half years no charge has been filed until recently and dirt and bombs still have yet to be found on Padilla. On the other hand it is very evident that Padilla underwent lengthy torture while under US detention. Opening arguments began in Miami on Monday the 17th. Christian Science Monitor reporter Warren Richey writes that the absurd behavior of the Bush administration regarding Padilla extend well beyond his detention facilities, members of the media are not allowed to ask questions to defense lawyers or prosecutors at the trial or even in the lobby outside. Violating this rule means being asked to leave.

This must be a litmus test of some sort. The President probably wishes he could do this to the press all the time. Why not actually? Bush has his great trophy, Padilla, he doesn't need Richey or anyone asking 'so what did he do? Really?' "The secrecy is in accord with the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA)... media interviews conducted in the courtroom-even during recesses-are disruptive and distracting, they say. Interviews conducted in the lobby outside the courtroom might be overheard by jurors or witnesses and taint the trial," said Richey. Yeah right, can't taint a trial of a suspect abused half to death while locked up for 3 years and 8 months, can't let that happen. Padilla and 2 codefendants are charged with forming and supporting a terror cell. So badly do they want Padilla that they accused him of attending the al Farooq camp-where Osama bin Laden has been known to visit, but can't locate anyone who was at the camp with him.

I'm not an attorney but my own look into the CIPA (PL 96-456) finds it to be a very court-driven initiative; "the court shall issue an order to protect against disclosure of classified information." Richey cites court security as enforcing this without prior warning. This is not necessarily a rule specifically against journalist questions, but it evidently became such on that day and US District Judge Marcia Cooke had nothing to do with the ban but was said to support it nevertheless.

Seems to me that all Padilla is guilty of is becoming a target of White Supremacist over-paranoia. While all of your tax dollars are being spent on the heavy security and manpower surrounding Padilla and his two codefendants a real terrorist roams free and guess what? President Bush knows about him, not only does he know about him, he's the one who cut the guy loose. Luis Clemente Faustino Posada Carriles (AKA "Bambi") is a Cuban-born Venezuelan and ant-Castro militant. This guy didn't just go to a camp or marry an Arab Muslim, or have a photo of himself and an al Qaeda associate lurking around somewhere, no this individual actually planned and plotted the successful taking of lives on at least one occasion. But because he has a beef with Fidel Castro, he's been allowed to skip.

Websites show Posada was also a former CIA operative, having trained for the Bay of Pigs at the agency's School of the Americas in '61. Though he specialized in sabotage and explosives he did not participate in that failed invasion. Posada actually met Castro while a student of medicine and chemistry but reportedly didn't like his '59 revolution. In '76 he is credited with having planned and organized the bombing of Cuban airliner Cubana Flight 455, killing 73. Other terrorist schemes would become linked to him including one on 11/17/00 where he was strongly suspected of plotting an assassination of Castro after being found and arrested with 200 lbs of explosives in Panama City. Castro was visiting that city at the time. Amazingly enough he was pardoned in 8/04 by outgoing President Mireya Moscoso who was known to be close to the Bush Administration.

If any terrorist classifies as a no-brainer in this era where anyone can be labeled as such, its Posada. But Bush doesn't want him, in fact he seems to be on pretty friendly terms with him. No detention in a cramped cell, no sensory deprivation or interrogation and this is a guy with at least 73 bodies. It's pretty much safe to say they are protecting him. Posada sought US Asylum on April of '05 and on 9/26/05 a US Immigration judge refused to deport Posada because he "faced the treat of torture." Strange but true, the US has come to the aid of this vile man every time someone tried to bring him to justice. He was arrested in Texas in '05 on the charge of "illegal presence on national territory." The charges were dismissed recently on 5/8/07 (he was previously released n bail on 4/19/07). Of course the Cuban and Venezuelan governments were angry over this, even the Justice Department urged the court to keep Posada in jail because he was an admitted terrorist. Perhaps his beef with Castro doesn't motivate Bush to classify him an "enemy combatant."

Speculations as to Posada Carriles' untouchable status apparently go back far and deep. I have already made reference to his connections to the CIA back in the early '60's, he also is said to have ties to the Mafia and there are those who place him in Dallas TX on 11/22/63. A book by David Talbot titled "Brother: The hidden history of the Kennedy years" goes into a secret investigation by Robert F. Kennedy into all the players involved in his brother’s murder including American intelligence, organized crime and Cuban exiles. Posada is said to be mentioned in a congressional report of the investigation of RFK's murder. Bush family drama (dare I mention W's father as a high ranking CIA official back then) it's fantastic.

Meanwhile back in the jungle, while Posada is somewhere living it up, Padilla sat in a 9x7 cell for almost 2 years, no window, no clock, no mattress. I am only attempting to paraphrase a report by author Glen Greenwald called " Unclaimed Territory" that lays out in sad grisly detail the treatment of one man barely suspected of terror. He slept on a steel bunk until the tail end of his captivity, thus inducing sleep deprivation. He was forced to endure shackles and manacles, cell temperature manipulation and noxious fumes would be funneled into his cell. Often he went through long interrogation sessions without adequate sleep, be was hooded and forced to stand in stress positions and given drugs against his will (LSD & PCP). All of this of course was meant to break him.

On Friday the 18th the government carted out a surprise witness that they were really hoping to draw a comparison to what they are trying to frame Padilla as being; a man who went to a terrorist training school only to return to his hometown in the states and await orders from bin Laden to blow something up. Yahya Goba of the Buffalo (Lackawanna ) Six who was arrested on 9/14/02 and was there on a plea agreement (to reduce his ten-year-sentence). His testimony backfired for the prosecution however as he stated that al Farooq was essentially only a religious camp.

It's all just an insult really, that one man should endure such inhumane treatment from those trained to fight our enemies, made worse by horrific accusations of terrorist intent from the same man who pardoned a proven monster, Posada; our dirty President, George W. Bush. But it's not all his fault, nor that of Cheney or Condi or then-Secretary Rumsfeld who Bush ordered to detain Jose Padilla. It's the fault of those who went back on their promise to impeach Bush after they won the mid-term elections. It's our fault for not really taking them to task for it.

Talbot gets coverage in Cuba's "Granma" newspaper:

http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2007/mayo/lun2...ng-the-cia.html

Edited by John Dolva

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/ar...iew/5336/1/260/

Would a Posada Trial be more relevant than Padilla's Trial?

By Chris Stevenson.................

....It's the fault of those who went back on their promise to impeach Bush after they won the mid-term elections. It's our fault for not really taking them to task for it.

Just one more of uncountable examples of evil SUPPORTED and promulgated by those in power now. Those of you who think this is a temporary glitch that will work itself out in the USA are as deluded, I sadly believe, as those who felt Hitler would be washed away by the German people as excessive. This Cabal is here to stay unless forced out and only the American people can, using extraordinary means: general strike, pressure on Congress [who were elected to stop this madness and are doing little to nothing], self-education outside the controlled information/media, organizing and resisting...not being passive sheep being led to the slaug

hter.

Yes, all the wrong people are being punished and set-free now. All the wrong people have privilage and power and all the wrong people struggling to survive. It is a world turned on its head and hidden behind 'religion', propaganda, lies, deceptions, covert operations, and worse. Those that belong in jail are more often than not the 'lawmakers, politicos, intelligence agencies, judges and 'jailers''. Sad place we have come to on the planet and the nexus is in my land Americ

a, most sadly.

Before the fall of Somoza in Nicaragua, US news outlets to US citizens were such that one could almost say Nicaragua did not exist.

Somoza was one of the worst of the Latin American Dictators.

Towards the end of his rule the poorer neighbourhoods were attacked by Government forces by such things as rolling drums of petrol out of helicopters and setting them alight. There was aso an indiscriminate widespread deathsquad action grabbing youths and taking them to various sites for execution. Many mornings mutilated bodies could be found along roads.

Then Danial Ortegas Sanadanistas succeeded in overthrowing Somozas regime and as they passed a very progreassive Bill of Rights and started a process of Agrarian reform where along with other land, Somozas vast holdings were redistributed to the poor, all of a sudden a sharp anti Nicaraguan/Sandinista rise of News reports started appearing in the US media.

Part of the process was Ortega seeking to allow opposition Newspapers in Nicaragua to exist which they took advantage of by starting a destabilising campaign in line with the US media. They broke laws and were ordered to shut down. Then allowed to resume but contined the destabilisation and were shut down again.

Misrepresenting this in the US media enabled Reagan to go ahead with the sponsoring of Death/Terror Contra squads, calling them 'freedom fighters' (a student of Goebbles if ever there was one) and their CIA sponsored flooding of the US with Cocaine.

Today, one can see the symptom of an unabated CIA destabilising force emerging in Venezuela with Hugo Chavez forced to clamp down on a Media outlet. This issue should be watched carefully as the coming months years could be decisive in the survival of a Latin/South America freed from the Monroe Doctrine. Please don't let another Contra program develop and cause misery in the newly liberalised Latin/South America free from the destructive economic terrorism of US interests through the CIA and any they sponsor. Solidarity with the progressive regimes may be a decisive factor.

Edited by John Dolva

• 5 months later...

WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Bill Delahunt announced that the Foreign Affairs panel that he chairs, the Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights, and Oversight, will hold a hearing on Thursday, November 15, on the case of Luis Posada Carriles, an alleged Cuban exile terrorist currently living in Miami, FL:

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ma10_...t/posada11.html

DOJ Asks Court to Reinstate Posada Charges

ABC News

November 7, 2007:

The saga of a former CIA operative, allegedly responsible for engaging in numerous rebel activities against Cuban leader Fidel Castro, continued Tuesday, as the Justice Department filed an appeal to reinstate charges against him that were dismissed earlier this year.....

http://www.abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3828954&page=1

• 1 month later...
John wrote:

Subsequently there were meetings to the same end that included terrorists like Frank Sturgis, Howard Hunt, Orlando Piedra, Antonio (Tony) Cuesta, Eladio del Valle, Joaquín Sanjenis, Manuel Artime, Orlando Bosch, Antonio Veciano and... Luis Posada Carriles.

John, I would be interested in your basis for identifying each of the foregoing as "terrorists". Even if someone plotted the assassination of JFK, his participation in that act, standing alone, would make him an assassin but not a terrorist, at least by the commonly accepted meaning of that term.

Many people would find odd your characterization of Manuel Artime as a "terrorist" (unless I am missing something in Artime's background).

Do you really assert that each of the above names was a "terrorist"?

Well, the term "terrorist" does seem to apply to the last name on your list. See new information:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/news/20071115/index.htm

<quote on>

Washington DC, November 15, 2007 - In the first Congressional hearing held on the controversial case of violent Cuban exile Luis Posada Carriles, the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights, and Oversight invited National Security Archive Senior Analyst Peter Kornbluh to testify on formerly top secret CIA and FBI intelligence reports linking Posada to the October 6, 1976 bombing of a Cuban civilian airliner. In his testimony, Kornbluh argued that the declassified records demonstrated that Posada had concrete foreknowledge of the bombing; was in possession of a surveillance report on Cuban targets that included the doomed plane; received coded messages immediately after the plane went into the ocean from the men who placed the bombs; and was quickly identified by multiple FBI and CIA sources in Venezuela as one of two masterminds of the attack that claimed the lives of all 73 passengers and crew.

Kornbluh called Posada “one of the most prolific purveyors of political violence in recent history” and said that the evidence in the plane bombing was “more than sufficient” to have detained Posada for acts of international terrorism under the Patriot Act. Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales refused to designate Posada as a terrorist and a judge dismissed immigration fraud charges against him last spring. Posada now lives freely in Miami, as does Orlando Bosch, who the CIA and FBI both identify as a co-conspirator in the plane bombing. “The United States now finds itself in the frankly inexplicable position of having not one but both men who our own intelligence agencies identified as responsible for bringing down a civilian airliner living free and unfettered lives in Florida,” Kornbluh told the Committee.

<quote off>

See documents provided at link above.

Regards

Peter Fokes

• 7 months later...

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-6811330180001581365

Plus yanking Mike's chain :lol:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated JFK And Sam: The Connection Between the Giancana And Kennedy Assassinations by Antoinette Giancana have also purchased Files on JFK: Interviews with Confessed Assassin James E. Files, and More New Evidence of the Conspiracy that Killed JFK by Wim Dankbaar. For this reason, you might like to know that Files on JFK: Interviews with Confessed Assassin James E. Files, and More New Evidence of the Conspiracy that Killed JFK will be released on September 1, 2008. You can pre-order yours at a savings of $10.18 by following the link below.

Files on JFK: Interviews with Confessed Assassin James E. Files, and More New Evidence of the Conspiracy that Killed JFK

Wim Dankbaar

List Price: $29.95

Price: $19.77

You Save: $10.18 (34%)

Release Date: September 1, 2008

Product Description

Contrary to the belief that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin in Dealey Plaza at the time that President John F. Kennedy was shot, this account maintains that a gunman located on the grassy knoll delivered the final, fatal shot. Based on interviews with James E. Files, the alleged gunman, the chronicle proposes that the assassination was initiated by the CIA in collaboration with organized crime—Sam Giancana, Charles Nicoletti, and Johnny Roselli, in particular. Subsequent discoveries made through the assistance of a number of retired FBI agents also implicate two anti-Castro terrorists protected by prosecution from the Bush administration—Orlando Bosch and Luis Posada Carriles.

Edited by Wim Dankbaar

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated JFK And Sam: The Connection Between the Giancana And Kennedy Assassinations by Antoinette Giancana have also purchased Files on JFK: Interviews with Confessed Assassin James E. Files, and More New Evidence of the Conspiracy that Killed JFK by Wim Dankbaar. For this reason, you might like to know that Files on JFK: Interviews with Confessed Assassin James E. Files, and More New Evidence of the Conspiracy that Killed JFK will be released on September 1, 2008. You can pre-order yours at a savings of $10.18 by following the link below.

Files on JFK: Interviews with Confessed Assassin James E. Files, and More New Evidence of the Conspiracy that Killed JFK

Wim Dankbaar

Product Description

Contrary to the belief that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin in Dealey Plaza at the time that President John F. Kennedy was shot, this account maintains that a gunman located on the grassy knoll delivered the final, fatal shot. Based on interviews with James E. Files, the alleged gunman, the chronicle proposes that the assassination was initiated by the CIA in collaboration with organized crime—Sam Giancana, Charles Nicoletti, and Johnny Roselli, in particular. Subsequent discoveries made through the assistance of a number of retired FBI agents also implicate two anti-Castro terrorists protected by prosecution from the Bush administration—Orlando Bosch and Luis Posada Carriles.

Yes Get your Hot off the Press copy of the Files Hoax TODAY.....(found in your local FICTION section).

The guy in that video Wim kinda reminded me of the lady in Romper room looking through the magic mirror.

"And I see the Easter Bunny, and Santa, and the tooth fairy, and James Files......"

Edited by Mike Williams

Wim Dankbaar

Product Description

Yes Get your Hot off the Press copy of the Files Hoax TODAY.....(found in your local FICTION section).

The guy in that video Wim kinda reminded me of the lady in Romper room looking through the magic mirror.

"And I see the Easter Bunny, and Santa, and the tooth fairy, and James Files......"

More appropriately would be if:

One were to encounter Bob Vernon on Bourbon St. and he was offering the services of "virgin's"!

"One has a moral obligation to take advantage of all suckers"

Attributed to WC Fields.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure if this is NEWS, but saw it this morning.

CIA file on Cuban exile finally released

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=KOR20110112&articleId=22759&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The CIA File on Luis Posada Carriles

A Former Agency Asset Goes on Trial in the U.S.

by Peter Kornbluh and Erin Maskell

Global Research, January 12, 2011

The National Security Archive - 2011-01-11

=======================================================

Washington, D.C., January 11, 2011 - As the unprecedented trial of Cuban exile Luis Posada Carriles begins this week in El Paso, Texas, the National Security Archive today posted a series of CIA records covering his association with the agency in the 1960s and 1970s. CIA personnel records described Posada, using his codename, “AMCLEVE/15,” as “a paid agent” at $300 a month, being utilized as a training instructor for other exile operatives, as well as an informant. “Subject is of good character, very reliable and security conscious,” the CIA reported in 1965. Posada, another CIA document observed, incorrectly, was “not a typical ‘boom and bang’ type of individual.”

. . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the Documents

Document 1: CIA, Unclassified, “Unclassified Summary of the CIA’s Relationship With Luis Clemente Posada Carriles,” Undated.

This unclassified summary of the relationship between Luis Posada Carriles and the CIA, which was provided to the court by the US Justice Department, says the CIA first had contact with Posada in connection with planning the Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961. He remained a paid agent of the CIA from 1965-1967 and again from 1968-1974. From 1974-76, Posada provided unsolicited threat reporting. (Additional documents introduced in court show that he officially severed ties with the CIA in February 1976.) According to this document, the CIA last had contact with Posada in 1993 when they anonymously contacted him in Honduras by telephone to warn him of a threat to his life. (This document was first cited last year in Tracey Eaton’s informative blog, “Along the Malecon.”)

Document 2: CIA, "PRQ Part II for AMCLEVE/15," September 22, 1965.

"PRQ Part II," or the second part of Posada's Personal Record Questionnaire, provides operational information. Within the text of the document, Posada is described as "strongly anti-Communist" as well as a sincere believer in democracy. The document describes Posada having a "good character," not to mention the fact that he is "very reliable, and security conscious." The CIA recommends that he be considered for a civil position in a post-Castro government in Cuba (codenamed PBRUMEN).

Document 3: CIA, Cable, "Plan of the Cuban Representation in Exile (RECE) to Blow Up a Cuban or Soviet Vessel in Veracruz, Mexico," July 1, 1965.

This CIA cable summarizes intelligence on a demolition project proposed by Jorge Mas Canosa, then the head of RECE. On the third page, a source is quoted as having informed the CIA of a payment that Mas Canosa has made to Luis Posada in order to finance a sabotage operation against ships in Mexico. Posada reportedly has "100 pounds of C-4 explosives and some detonators" and limpet mines to use in the operation.

Document 4: CIA, Memorandum, "AMCLEVE /15," July 21, 1966.

This document includes two parts-a cover letter written by Grover T. Lythcott, Posada's CIA handler, and an attached request written by Posada to accept a position on new coordinating Junta composed of several anti-Castro organizations. In the cover letter, Lythcbtt refers to Posada by his codename, AMCLEVE/I5, and discusses his previous involvement withthe Agency. He lionizes Posada, writing that his ''performance in all assigned tasks has been excellent," and urges that he be permitted to work with the combined anti-Castro exile groups. According to the document, Lythcott suggests that Posada be taken off the CIA payroll to facilitate his joining the anti-Castro militant junta, which will be led by RECE. Lythcott insists that Posada will function as an effective moderating force considering he is "acutely aware of the international implications of ill planned or over enthusiastic activities against Cuba." In an attached memo, Posada, using the name "Pete," writes that if he is on the Junta, "they will never do anything to endanger the security of this Country (like blow up Russian ships)" and volunteers to "give the Company all the intelligence that I can collect."

Document 5: CIA, Personal Record Questionnaire on Posada, April 17, 1972.

This "PRQ" was compiled in 1972 at a time Posada was a high level official at the Venezuelan intelligence service, DISIP, in charge of demolitions. The CIA was beginning to have some concerns about him, based on reports that he had taken CIA explosives equipment to Venezuela, and that he had ties to a Miami mafia figure named Lefty Rosenthal. The PRQ spells out Posada's personal background and includes his travel to various countries between 1956 and 1971. It also confirms that one of his many aliases was "Bambi Carriles."

Document 6: CIA, Report, "Traces on Persons Involved in 6 Oct 1976 Cubana Crash," October 13, 1976.

In the aftermath of the bombing of Cubana flight 455, the CIA ran a file check on all names associated with the terror attack. In a report to the FBI the Agency stated that it had no association with the two Venezuelans who were arrested. A section on Luis Posada Carriles was heavily redacted when the document was declassified. But the FBI retransmitted the report three days later and that version was released uncensored revealing Posada's relations with the CIA.

Document 7: CIA, Secret Intelligence Report, "Activities of Cuban Exile Leader Orlando Bosch During his Stay in Venezuela," October 14, 1976.

A source in Venezuela supplied the CIA with detailed intelligence on a fund raiser held for Orlando Bosch and his organization CORU after he arrived in Caracas in September 1976. The source described the dinner at the house of a Cuban exile doctor, Hildo Folgar, which included Venezuelan government officials. Bosch was said to have essentially asked for a bribe in order to refrain from acts of violence during the United Nations meeting in November 1976, which would be attended by Venezuelan President Carlos Andres Perez. He was also quoted as saying that his group had done a "great job" in assassinating former Chilean ambassador Orlando Letelier in Washington D.C. on September 21, and now was going to "try something else." A few days later, according to this intelligence report, Luis Posada Carriles was overheard to say that "we are going to hit a Cuban airplane" and "Orlando has the details."

Document 8: First Circuit Court of Panama, “Fiscalia Primera Del Primer Circuito Judicial De Panama: Vista Fiscal No. 200”, September 28, 2001.

This lengthy document is the official indictment in Panama of Luis Posada Carriles and 4 others for the attempted assassination of Fidel Castro at the 10th Ibero-American Summit in November 2000. In this indictment, Posada Carriles is accused of possession of explosives, endangerment of public safety, illicit association, and falsification of documents. After traveling to Panama, according to the evidence gathered, “Luis Posada Carriles and Raul Rodriguez Hamouzova rented a red Mitsubishi Lancer at the International Airport of Tocumen, in which they transported the explosives and other devices necessary to create a bomb.” (Original Spanish: “Luis Posada Carriles y Raul Rodriguez Hamouzova rentaron en el Aeropuerto Internacional de Tocumen de la referida empresa el vehículo marca Mitsubishi Lancer, color rojo, dentro del cual se transportaron los explosives y artefactos indicados para elaborar una bomba.”) This bomb was intended to take the life of Fidel Castro; Castro was to present at the Summit on November 17th, and what Carriles had proposed to do “wasn’t easy, because it occurred at the Summit, and security measures would be extreme.” (Original Spanish: “lo que se proponía hacer no era fácil, porque ocurría en plena Cumbre, y las medidas de seguridad serían extremas.”)

After being discovered by agents of the Explosives Division of the National Police, they ascertained that “this explosive has the capacity to destroy an armored vehicle, buildings, steel doors, and the effects of an explosive of this class and quality can extend for 200 meters.” Additionally, “to a human, from a distance of 200 meters it would affect the senses, internal hemorrhages, and if the person were in the center of the explosion, even if they were in an armored car, they would not survive…the destructive capacity of this material is complete.” (Original Spanish: “Este explosivo tiene la capacidad de destruir cualquier carro blindado, puede destruir edificios, puertas de acero, y que la onda expansiva de esta calidad y clase de explosive puede alcanzar hasta 200 metros…Al ser humano, sostienen, a la distancia de 200 metros le afectaría los sentidos, hemorragios internos, y si la persona estuviese en el centro de la explosion, aunque estuviese dentro de un carro blindado no sobreviviría…la capacidad destructive de este material es total.”)

The indictment states that when Posada was “asked about the charges against him, including possession of explosives, possession of explosives that endanger public safety, illicit association, and falsification of documents…he expresses having combated subversion against democratic regimes along several fronts, specifically anti-Castro subversion.” (Original Spanish: “Preguntado sobre los cargos formulados, es decir Posesión de Explosivos, Posesión de Explosivos que implica Peligro Común, Asociación Ilicita, y Falsedad de Documentos…Expresa haber combatido en distintos frentes la subversión contra regimens democráticos, ‘quiero decir la subversión castrista.’”)

Posada and his accomplices were eventually convicted of endangering public safety and sentenced to 8 years in prison. He was pardoned by Panamanian president, Mireya Moscosa, after only four years in August 2004 and lived as a fugitive in Honduras until March 2005 when he illegally entered the United States and applied for political asylum.