The Education Forum

Associates Going to Toulouse

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the meeting that associates can read.

The following associates have been invited to Toulouse:

Andy Schofield

Simon Ross

Roy Huggins

Franck Le Cars

Nick Dennis

Johannes Ahrenfelt

Neal Watkin

It has been suggested that associates and members travel together. That is a good idea but members will be travelling on the Wednesday and the associates on Thursday. We can all come back together. The cheapest flights to Toulouse are from EasyJet.

Flight 5331 departs 07.15, arrives 10.05 (price £30.99)

Flight 5337 departs 17.30, arrives 20.15 (price £40.99)

Sunday return flights also have two options:

Flight 5332 departs 10.25, arrives 11.15 (price £44.25)

Flight 5331 departs 20.40, arrives 21.30 (price £114.25)

Don't book yet as we have yet to decide the best flights to get.

Richard has emailed me to say he is not very keen on the EasyJet times. Here are the ones from BA:

Wednesday/Thursday

Depart 07:15 arrive 10:00 BA7951 (price £40)

Depart 13.45 arrive 16.30 BA7953 (price £50)

Depart 20:10 arrive 22.50 BA7955 (price £40)

Sunday

Depart 06:55 arrive 07.45 BA7950 (price £50)

Depart 10:35 arrive 11.20 BA7952 (price £50)

Depart 17:05 arrive 17.50 BA7955 (price £120)

Hi John,

Which airport were you thinking of flying from? Living in Doncaster makes it hard to get to an airport in London for an early flight.

Kind Regards

Roy

Hi John,

Which airport were you thinking of flying from? Living in Doncaster makes it hard to get to an airport in London for an early flight.

Kind Regards

Roy

BMI baby do Manchester-Toulouse. I guess this might be your easiest route? Alternatively, you can stay a night at Gatwick at e-Help's expense.

Where possible we'd like Associates to arrive on the Thursday morning, leaving Sunday afternoon. If you can't, not to worry, we'll arrange the agenda around times you are available.

Richard has emailed me to say he is not very keen on the EasyJet times.
I justdidn't want to limit people to Easyjet because they might be cheaper. As it turns out BA are also very competitive. This gives us a wider choice of flights.

Hi Guys,

My next aeries of questions concerns the organisation of the conference and the target audiences:

How much time do we have for delivering our lectures / semnars?

What level should I be aiming my seminars at?

How many sessiosn would you like me to do?

Roughly how many delegates will attend each sesson?

What will be the layout of the room? Conference, lecture hall or classroom?

What sort of equipment will be supplied or do we need to bring along?

For example, will they have a smart board, do I need to bring my laptop along?

I've delivered a several seimars in various conference centres for Lighthouse and at Trinity for SHP. Obviously my content was aimed at the English National Curriculum and my sessions have been designed to mix theory with good practice. Will the delegates want to do a hands on session?

Kind Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy Huggins

Hi Guys,

I've found the following flight from machester Airport. Would this exceed the budget?

Departure MANCHESTER, United Kingdom

Destination TOULOUSE, France

Departure Date Wed 07 Jun 2006 and Returning on Sun 11 Jun 2006

Published Fare - All prices include airport taxes.

Total Price GBP 215.30

Departure Destination Date Depart Arrive Class Flight No. Book

Manchester Toulouse 07 Jun 10:15 13:25 W/Economy BD 341

Return Destination Date Depart Arrive Class Flight No. Book

Toulouse Manchester 11 Jun 17:45 18:50 Q/Economy BD 344

Hi Guys,

I've found the following flight from machester Airport. Would this exceed the budget?

Departure MANCHESTER, United Kingdom

Destination TOULOUSE, France

Departure Date Wed 07 Jun 2006 and Returning on Sun 11 Jun 2006

Published Fare - All prices include airport taxes.

Total Price GBP 215.30

Departure Destination Date Depart Arrive Class Flight No. Book

Manchester Toulouse 07 Jun 10:15 13:25 W/Economy BD 341

Return Destination Date Depart Arrive Class Flight No. Book

Toulouse Manchester 11 Jun 17:45 18:50 Q/Economy BD 344

Well within budget. Is there not a Thursday flight?

Hi Richard,

I believe that the same times apply on the Thursday from Manchester. However, it all depends upon the time that you would like us to arrive at Toulouse and the timing of our first training seminars / lectures. I like to have a good look at the room that I'm going to be using and to double check that the technology works OK.

Kind Regards

Roy

How much time do we have for delivering our lectures / semnars?
1h30-2h00 is the norm.
What level should I be aiming my seminars at?
We hope to use a film of your presentation, possibly with a commissioned article in addition to the seminar you will produce here to introduce a European audience to the possibilities of IWBs.
How many sessiosn would you like me to do?

Roughly how many delegates will attend each sesson?

What will be the layout of the room? Conference, lecture hall or classroom?
One session. Classroom. 16 or so e-Help memebers and invited associates.
What sort of equipment will be supplied or do we need to bring along?

For example, will they have a smart board, do I need to bring my laptop along?
The room has IWB, speakers and is Internet connected. It is not my room and I don't use an IWB so I'll have to put you in touch with the teacher who does use it. It is a Promethean(?) board I believe.
Will the delegates want to do a hands on session?
I don't think so. We like to see a presentation, be inspired and discuss. All very informal, although you will be filmed.

I would prefer to go on the following:

Wednesday: Depart 13.45 arrive 16.30 BA7953

Sunday: Depart 17:05 arrive 17.50 BA7955

Is that ok with British members? It might be a good idea for the associates to go on the same Sunday flight (it will help Richard with his organization of the conference). Maybe the associates could also arrive together on the Thursday.

I would prefer to go on the following:

Wednesday: Depart 13.45 arrive 16.30 BA7953

Sunday: Depart 17:05 arrive 17.50 BA7955

Is that ok with British members? It might be a good idea for the associates to go on the same Sunday flight (it will help Richard with his organization of the conference). Maybe the associates could also arrive together on the Thursday.

Thanks John. It does make things a little easier if people are arriving and departing at similar times. Looking at the flight times, a 7h15 flight is not ideal so perhaps we could have those getting the London flight to get the 13.45. Remember, associates are expected a day later than members on the Thursday. This arrival will mean you go straight to your Toulouse hotel, the Crowne Plaza.. For those who can or prefer to join Roy on the Manchester flight will arrive at a time that means we can begin the presentations on Thursday afternoon.

With it being the conference season, it has been difficult to find hotels with rooms for all four nights.

On Wednesday 7th and Friday 9th and Saturday 10th June we will be at the Latitudes hotel which is relatively close to the school. Modern, with a pool and on a golf course, this will be our main base.

http://www.maeva-latitudes-toulouse.com/

Photo%20012.jpg

For the hotel on Thursday night in Toulouse we have booked the Crowne Plaza. This hotel sits right on Place Capital in the heart of Toulouse. This is where associates who arrive on Thursday will need to go. It is about 15 minutes from the airport.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hd/tlsfr

estcrowne.jpg

The problem with the 07:15 flight is that I would have to get a taxi to Gatwick. It will be a greater problem for those who have to travel a longer distance that I do to the airport.
Absolutely. If needs be we could get around this by using hotels at Gatwick, but if at least some associates (Franck and those on the Manchester flight) can be ready to present on Thursday afternoon, we can begin to get through our agenda.

Two questions:

Can I deliver my seminar on the Friday as my flight will not get in until 13.25 and I'd imagine that I won't be unpacked until about 15.30 - 16.00. How far is the hotel from the school where the conference is being hosted?

How do we go about claiming back our expenses?

Roy

Edited by Roy Huggins