The Education Forum

DPD Radio Transmissions from 11/22/1963

The same friend who, about a year ago, burned for me an MP3 of the KLIF broadcast of 11/22/1963 just last week burned another MP3 for me of the Dallas Police Department's radio transmissions of 11/22/1963. Going by the dispatcher's time checks, the recording is not in chronological order...but it has the request for someone to find the motorcycle "up on Stemmons" that apparently had the mike stuck on, on channel one, but not the channel one transmission with the alleged gunshots...and it has Chief Curry requesting dispatch to "get somebody up there" on the overpass. Total time of the cut is 19:14, so it doesn't get into the Tippitt shooting timeframe, either.

It's not the best audio quality, but it's interesting nonetheless. And, based upon the timechecks by dispatch, DPD had a description of a shooter on the radio, allegedly with a 30-caliber rifle, as early as 12:38 pm.

I've been advised that the KLIF broadcast was probably sourced from the ReelRadio website, but I have no idea where the DPD radio transmissions may have come from.

Anybody found 'em on the internet?

Edited by Mark Knight

Since the response to this topic has been so underwhelming, let me express my questions in another way.

Does anyone know of a source--website or otherwise--with the DPD radio transmissions of 11/22/63 that INCLUDE the transmissions relating to the Tippitt murder? I don't want transcripts, if they can be avoided...but I suppose they would be better than nothing.

The reason I ask this is: the dispatcher periodically gave time checks after many of the transmissions. If we could establish an ACTUAL timeframe for the Tippitt killing, and the subsequent radio traffic, perhaps we could better understand Oswald's involvement--or lack thereof. The reports of the witnesses are conflicting at best in regards to timing...but a recording of the actual police calls, which might include a dispatcher's time check, would help to clear up a lot of doubts.

So...does anyone have an idea where my friend may have sourced this material, and whether additional material might exist?

Mark Knight Posted Today, 04:49 AM

Since the response to this topic has been so underwhelming, let me express my questions in another way.

Does anyone know of a source--website or otherwise--with the DPD radio transmissions of 11/22/63 that INCLUDE the transmissions relating to the Tippitt murder? I don't want transcripts, if they can be avoided...but I suppose they would be better than nothing.

The reason I ask this is: the dispatcher periodically gave time checks after many of the transmissions. If we could establish an ACTUAL timeframe for the Tippitt killing, and the subsequent radio traffic, perhaps we could better understand Oswald's involvement--or lack thereof. The reports of the witnesses are conflicting at best in regards to timing...but a recording of the actual police calls, which might include a dispatcher's time check, would help to clear up a lot of doubts.

So...does anyone have an idea where my friend may have sourced this material, and whether additional material might exist?

Mark, I think Gary Mack might be one to know if and where such recordings might be available. He's the Curator of the 6th floor museum in Dallas. I recall reading (the?) transcripts, but do not recall if it was stated anywhere, what recording they were based on, or where this recording would be located.

Mark,

Here's an audio source for some of the Channel 2 dispatches

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/

and here's an audio source for some of the Channel 1 dispatches

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/tapes3.htm

Steve Thomas

I have no idea where the DPD radio transmissions may have come from.

Anybody found 'em on the internet?

This article, by my compatriot Chris Scally, suggests that it will be no easy task to determine the pedigree of the particular recording in your possession.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/scally.htm

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Thanks for the info. The best I can determine, these are the cuts that are available on the McAdams site. Total run time, 19:14, is identical. Apparently, whoever put this together as a single piece lost the chronology by recording ALL of Channel 1 first, then ALL of Channel 2, and not identifying what was what on the recording. By having it all run as if it was one continuous tape, it simply didn't make any sense.

One thing I noticed is that the dispatcher gave a LOT more time checks on the tape than are recorded in the transcripts...might therefore be more help to listen to the tapes than to read the transcripts. Also, only certain parts are available on the tape(s)...makes me wonder why only selected portions are available.

Anyone know where, this side of the National Archives, a more complete recording might be located?

Edited by Mark Knight

Hmmmmmm....quite odd.

In the past, whenever I've made a statement with which he disagreed, Gary Mack has been awfully quick to PM me with the information to "correct" my perceptions.

But in this particular instance, where his expertise could be extremely HELPFUL to me, he's remained oddly silent.

Has he suddenly taken ill? Is he out of town? As an ex-radio person myself, I would've thought this line of inquiry would've been right up his alley.

Edited by Mark Knight

Mark Knight Posted Today, 07:05 AM

Hmmmmmm....quite odd.

In the past, whenever I've made a statement with which he disagreed, Gary Mack has been awfully quick to PM me with the information to "correct" my perceptions.

But in this particular instance, where his expertise could be extremely HELPFUL to me, he's remained oddly silent.

Has he suddenly taken ill? Is he out of town? As an ex-radio person myself, I would've thought this line of inquiry would've been right up his alley.

Yes, exactly right. I received the same reaction from Mr. Mack. First he was eager to correct me and many times he was right and rather helpful. I did engage in minor debate with him after which his "guidance" stopped suddenly. I understand he is a busy man and may have more important things to do, nevertheless, I had hoped for his assistance via future PM's, if not directed to me, perhaps to others engaging in the same discussions. He does seem to possess a wealth of JFK knowledge, not to mention his possibility to access the museums resources. I understand some members do receive still "corrective" information from him.

To me this is an unfortunate turn. (Sincerely submitted, not sarcastically)

Edited by Antti Hynonen

I appreciate the info, Robert. Unfortunately, the transcript is edited. I'm seeking unedited information...either actual audio, or an unedited transcript. The transcripts from Carr's office appear to be more detailed in some parts than those I found on the McAdams site, but they also leave out the dispatcher's time checks...which are, in my estimation, critical information.

Gary Mack, can you help? [i would guess that he CAN, but the better question might be, "WILL you help?"]

Mark Knight Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

I appreciate the info, Robert. Unfortunately, the transcript is edited. I'm seeking unedited information...either actual audio, or an unedited transcript. The transcripts from Carr's office appear to be more detailed in some parts than those I found on the McAdams site, but they also leave out the dispatcher's time checks...which are, in my estimation, critical information.

Gary Mack, can you help? [i would guess that he CAN, but the better question might be, "WILL you help?"]

"Edited", like so much of the evidence we see has been "edited". Usually we are given a simple explanation, like "edited for brevity".

It's been nearly two weeks since I initially asked about DPD radio tapes, and to date I still haven't heard from Gary Mack. Is it that Gary HAS nothing to add, I wonder...or is it he has nothing he's WILLING to add?

I ASSUME Gary's still alive and well, as he just commented on Ron Ecker's Moorman thread.

SO...I pose the question again...does ANYONE know of a source for UNEDITED tapes of the Dallas Police radio transmissions of November 22, 1963? I know the history, conflicting as it is, as to whether the SS made the tapes or whether the FBI made the tapes from the Dictabelts, so we really don't need to reinvent THAT wheel. I'm just seeking a source for a COMPLETE set of recordings, INCLUDING the time checks by the dispatcher--which are mostly missing in the transcripts I've seen--for the events from, say, about 12:15 pm until at least the Frazier Enfield rifle was taken to DPD headquarters.

Surely Gary Mack knows whether such a collection is available, outside of the National Archive.