The Education Forum

L. Robert Castorr?

Castorr and his wife were also great supporters of Robert Morris. Mrs. Castorr penned many a piece to the print media pointing out how Morris was good for the country.

James

James, I did not know this but it figures, were these supportive pieces news articles or letters to the Editor. Do you have any examples handy?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castorr and his wife were also great supporters of Robert Morris. Mrs. Castorr penned many a piece to the print media pointing out how Morris was good for the country.

James

James, I did not know this but it figures, were these supportive pieces news articles or letters to the Editor. Do you have any examples handy?

Bill,

There were various examples published as letters to the various editors, some pamphlets and the like.

An example below.

James

James

Bill,

There were various examples published as letters to the various editors, some pamphlets and the like.

An example below.

James

Thanks!

Regarding the Cuban troublemaker mentioned by Connell and McChann... did Weissberg manage to get that guys name from either Castorr or his wife? This name in particular, is one I'd very much like to know. (Greg Parker)

Greg,

I don't have the name of the Cuban but I do know he was supposedly associated with a guy named Manuel Quiza, an exile militant and leader of the Cubanos Libres. In June of 1963, Quiza led a raid into Cuba where they captured a Cuban patrol boat.

Quiza then associated himself with Rogelio Cisneros and agreed to join forces with the JURE.

These guys were also in sync with a man named Joaquin Insua who worked with Walter Machann in establishing the Cuban Resettlement Office - Insua being the director.

Insua moved to Dallas in 1963. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1964 at 66 years of age.

James

See Weisberg's book, Oswald in New Orleans, particularly pp. 296-7. He eventually interviewed Castorr on May 5, 1967.

Castorr wondered why the FBI and Commission had not interviewed him, but Weisberg said he denied knowing any

of the people in the False Oswald story.

Interestingly, Weisberg asserted that the political Cuban employed at Parkland Hospital may have planted CE 399, and left the job after the assassination, unidentified.

www.maryferrell.org has the documents Weisberg used for his book, particularly the May 5, 1964 letter from SS Director Rowley to J. Lee Rankin with the Castorr and political Cuban at Parkland references.

Edited by Brian LeCloux

Regarding the Cuban troublemaker mentioned by Connell and McChann... did Weissberg manage to get that guys name from either Castorr or his wife? This name in particular, is one I'd very much like to know. (Greg Parker)

Greg,

I don't have the name of the Cuban but I do know he was supposedly associated with a guy named Manuel Quiza, an exile militant and leader of the Cubanos Libres. In June of 1963, Quiza led a raid into Cuba where they captured a Cuban patrol boat.

Quiza then associated himself with Rogelio Cisneros and agreed to join forces with the JURE.

These guys were also in sync with a man named Joaquin Insua who worked with Walter Machann in establishing the Cuban Resettlement Office - Insua being the director.

Insua moved to Dallas in 1963. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1964 at 66 years of age.

James

James, this is very much appreciated. I take it your contacts knew about this guy but can't recall the name?

The name I'm about to toss out is no more than a semi-unorthodox guess with a twist of lemon (that's for me to suck on later!). Manuel Hosey. Maybe that will ring some bells, maybe not...

See Weisberg's book, Oswald in New Orleans, particularly pp. 296-7. He eventually interviewed Castorr on May 5, 1967.

Castorr wondered why the FBI and Commission had not interviewed him, but Weisberg said he denied knowing any

of the people in the False Oswald story.

Interestingly, Weisberg asserted that the political Cuban employed at Parkland Hospital may have planted CE 399, and left the job after the assassination, unidentified.

www.maryferrell.org has the documents Weisberg used for his book, particularly the May 5, 1964 letter from SS Director Rowley to J. Lee Rankin with the Castorr and political Cuban at Parkland references.

Thanks Bryan. Yes, the speculation that this Cuban planted CE 399 is worth considering, but without knowing who he was, and more importantly (at least as far as CE 399 goes) when he quit at Parkland, it's a line of thought that can't be progressed.

The PDS reverse template would seem to apply, though. As Weisberg pointed out, Castorr, McChann and Connell all avoided a call before the commission, and there was no (known) effort by the FBI to follow up with Parkland (or indeed through the Catholic Relief Mission records) on the identity of this Cuban. Maybe they knew about him already?

Greg,

Firstly to Perrin's credibility. Having re-read most of her testimony, and the FBI reports on her, it seems her claim was that the weapons were for the use of Castro's forces. Delivering weapons FOR Castro whilst simultaneously rescuing people FROM him seems a bit of a stretch, though not entirely out of the question if money-making was the only motive.

There were a number of discrepancies in various tellings of her story, yet also information which I find compelling - such as knowledge of weapons being stolen off bases (as one example only).

Do any of you guys have any major concerns regarding her veracity?

I know that the FBI and Secret Service went to great lengths to prove that Nancy Perrin was crazy and an inveterate xxxx, I also believe that there are parts of her story about Ruby involved with running guns that ring true.

There are other people and places that put Ruby in the middle of gun running activities. (Whitter/Miller/Masen) (Robert McKeown), etc.

In her FBI interviews, Perrin said that the gun deals were put together by someone named Edward Brunner of Grand Prairie, TX.

Lately, I have been thinking that there were a couple of miscues in her testimony and interviews.

She could remember an apartment building, but not its address. She could remember a colonel, but not his name. She identified someone present as a Dick C., and it turned out possibly be a Dave Cherry.

Then I got to thinking about Edward Brunner. I couldn't find any record of an Edward Brunner, but whether through her own mis-rememberance, or a deliberate mislead, or maybe an FBI transcriber's mistake, I got to wondering if this person might be Edward Browder.

There are in the records, reports from a Blaney Mack Johnson about his knowledge of Jack Ruby running guns to Cuba with a Donald Edward Browder in the early 1950's.

In April of 1964, the Miami Office said that Donald Edward Browder was identical with an Edward J. Browder, currently an inmate of the Federal Correctional Institute in Tallahassee, FL.

CD 914 pp. 89 - 93 relates the criminal history of Edward J. (or Eddie) Browder.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=100

Some of these charges include:

Year Charge

1948 Exporting implements of war

1948 Organized an expedition against a friendly power

1948 Exporting military aircraft

1948 Conspiracy

1948 Conspiracy to steal gov't property to aid revolution in a foreign country

1953 Auto theft

And I just went, "Whoa"!

Though he seemed to do most of his work out of Miami, In 1962 he was wanted by the Deputy U.S. Marshall in Edinburg, TX for jumping bail.

In the FBI Headquarters Files, Section 51, p. 176, Blaney Johnson told the FBI that Brodwer sometimes went under the names, "Don, Eddie and Don Eduardo"

1. What government were we (or he) trying to overthrow in 1948? Greece?

2. I asked in another thread of anyone had any knowledge of Eddie Browder ever living in Grand Prairie (as Edward Brunner was supposed to have been)

That's all I have.

Steve Thomas

Greg,
I'd be interesting in knowing how Weisburg identified him as the Colonel in the Perrin gun-running meeting.

I'm not sure. It may have come up in Whitewash II.

There are some references in Weisburg's Orleans Parish Grand Jury testimony from pages 55 to about 61 here:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=57

It's kind of sketchy, I'll have to dig a little more.

Steve Thomas

Steve/Greg,

If I remember right, Weisberg actually talked to Castorr in Maryland.

Dave

I happen to be re-reading Whitewash II right now, and can confirm that whole Nancy Perrin Rich—Colonel Caster/Castor/Castorr thing is there, pp 64-70. The book was published in 1966, prior to Weisberg's interview with Castorr in 1967, apparently (see above) detailed in Oswald in New Orleans, which I do not have a copy of to be able to cite.

One of the characters in that gun-running thing happens to be almost a neighbor of mine, lives about a mile away. Not sure how I'd approach him, if I ever were to. :) !

Greg,

James

James, this is very much appreciated. I take it your contacts knew about this guy but can't recall the name?

The name I'm about to toss out is no more than a semi-unorthodox guess with a twist of lemon (that's for me to suck on later!). Manuel Hosey. Maybe that will ring some bells, maybe not...

Greg,

I was given the name Caro but I assume that was a war name. Can I ask where you dug up the name Manuel Hosey?

There might be a connection here to a Cuban by the name of Rudolfo Gordinez who was involved with the medical aspect of the Brigade 2506 and who also was employed at Parkland Hospital. His last known residence was in Miami but when in Dallas he lived on Harlandale, about a block away from the infamous 3128 address.

FWIW.

James

Greg,
Firstly to Perrin's credibility. Having re-read most of her testimony, and the FBI reports on her, it seems her claim was that the weapons were for the use of Castro's forces. Delivering weapons FOR Castro whilst simultaneously rescuing people FROM him seems a bit of a stretch, though not entirely out of the question if money-making was the only motive.

There were a number of discrepancies in various tellings of her story, yet also information which I find compelling - such as knowledge of weapons being stolen off bases (as one example only).

Do any of you guys have any major concerns regarding her veracity?

I know that the FBI and Secret Service went to great lengths to prove that Nancy Perrin was crazy and an inveterate xxxx, I also believe that there are parts of her story about Ruby involved with running guns that ring true.

Steve, I try not to let that stuff influence me too much. I think they tried to discredit just about everyone whose story bespoke conspiracy, regardless of the possible truth or otherwise.

There are other people and places that put Ruby in the middle of gun running activities. (Whitter/Miller/Masen) (Robert McKeown), etc.

Exactly. And there is also her mention of a person she thought was an-boxer at those meetings. Ruby did associate with a heavyweight - name of Buddy Turman. Even though Ruby is often said to have done all his own bouncing, this guy was employed in that capacity at varous times by Ruby. Moreover, his boxing record for 1961 shows he fought Archie Moore in the Philippines on 3/25/61 with his only other fight that year being in Dallas on 30/11/61. On the debit side, in one version of her story, she has Ruby pounding a table and raving about the virtues of Castro. And in most versions, she has Tippit and the son of Vito Genevese involved in various ways. I find all of that hard to swallow. Nevertheless, the basics of the story have a ring of truth, and to some extend, can be corroborated.

In her FBI interviews, Perrin said that the gun deals were put together by someone named Edward Brunner of Grand Prairie, TX.

Lately, I have been thinking that there were a couple of miscues in her testimony and interviews.

She could remember an apartment building, but not its address. She could remember a colonel, but not his name. She identified someone present as a Dick C., and it turned out possibly be a Dave Cherry.

Then I got to thinking about Edward Brunner. I couldn't find any record of an Edward Brunner, but whether through her own mis-rememberance, or a deliberate mislead, or maybe an FBI transcriber's mistake, I got to wondering if this person might be Edward Browder.

There are in the records, reports from a Blaney Mack Johnson about his knowledge of Jack Ruby running guns to Cuba with a Donald Edward Browder in the early 1950's.

In April of 1964, the Miami Office said that Donald Edward Browder was identical with an Edward J. Browder, currently an inmate of the Federal Correctional Institute in Tallahassee, FL.

CD 914 pp. 89 - 93 relates the criminal history of Edward J. (or Eddie) Browder.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=100

Some of these charges include:

Year Charge

1948 Exporting implements of war

1948 Organized an expedition against a friendly power

1948 Exporting military aircraft

1948 Conspiracy

1948 Conspiracy to steal gov't property to aid revolution in a foreign country

1953 Auto theft

And I just went, "Whoa"!

Though he seemed to do most of his work out of Miami, In 1962 he was wanted by the Deputy U.S. Marshall in Edinburg, TX for jumping bail.

In the FBI Headquarters Files, Section 51, p. 176, Blaney Johnson told the FBI that Brodwer sometimes went under the names, "Don, Eddie and Don Eduardo"

2. I asked in another thread of anyone had any knowledge of Eddie Browder ever living in Grand Prairie (as Edward Brunner was supposed to have been)

That's all I have.

I was wondering where you were going with your Browder thread! Is it possible to get a hold of a 1961 and '62 phone directory to check for the names Browder and Castorr? Castorr's '63 address does not sound like it's in an apartment building...

Steve Thomas

Greg,

James

Greg,

I was given the name Caro but I assume that was a war name. Can I ask where you dug up the name Manuel Hosey?

James, he was allegedly involved with the Cuban student underground circa '61. I have reason to believe he may have ended up in Dallas - but that reason may be way off the mark.

There might be a connection here to a Cuban by the name of Rudolfo Gordinez who was involved with the medical aspect of the Brigade 2506 and who also was employed at Parkland Hospital. His last known residence was in Miami but when in Dallas he lived on Harlandale, about a block away from the infamous 3128 address.

Can you clarify who or what Gordinez may have been connected to? Caro? Hosey? Quiza? The unknown Cuban at Parkland discussed by mcChann etc?

Do you know when Gordinez worked at Parkland and in what capacity?

FWIW.

James

I was wondering where you were going with your Browder thread! Is it possible to get a hold of a 1961 and '62 phone directory to check for the names Browder and Castorr? Castorr's '63 address does not sound like it's in an apartment building...

James Richards provides a letter to the editor from Mrs. Castorr above in which she gave her address as 12016 Fieldwood Lane.

I'll ask Jerry Dealey to check with his people in the Dallas Historical Society about the Grand Prairie addresses of Brunner and Browder.

Steve Thomas

Or, Brunner was the name this person used when introduced to Perrin.

Upon further reading, I believe that the country Browder was trying to help de-stabilize in 1948 might have been Guatemala.

Steve Thomas

Greg,

I'm not sure when this Gordinez began work at Parkland but it would have been post BOP. He was there at the time of the assassination and I'm not sure when he left for Miami. How's that for a whole lot of nothing?

I can tell you though that he was supposedly connected somehow to Caro who allegedly was the politically motivated Cuban.

I believe Gordinez was working with equipment to help people breath. He was a fully qualified doctor in Cuba.

James