The Education Forum

Jada Conforto and Jack Ruby

The question on Jada and the accident was asked and answered last year in the Ruby Timeline thread in the seminars section.

Answer reposted here:

A Dallas Police memo dated Nov 28 was made of the incident.

On Wednesday, November 27th, Mr Bill Walsh, Personnel Director of Texas Instruments called and gave the following information:

On Friday, November 22nd at about 10:45 am one of their employees, Charles Burns ran across Atwell St to the entrance of Texas Instruments and was struck by a white Cadillac, Louisiana licence number 941985. Mr Burns was not injured sufficiently to call the police but the driver of the Cadillac, a woman who gave the name of Conforto or Comforto came to the office to use the telephone to call an unknown man who arrived in a few minutes to take Mr Burns to a doctor for examination. The woman driver of the car gave the impression of being in show business and stated to the man who came to get her, "Let's hurry up and get this over with, I have to get to New Orleans".

It is unknown whether this incident has any significance in the Oswald case.

Chas Batchelor

Assistant Chief of Police

Jada was not interviewed by the FBI until April 12th, 1964. That report (CE 1561) runs for six and half pages and does not mention this incident. All it does is create more question marks. It states, for instance: that as at late October, she had her three and a half year old son with her in Dallas. What happened to him, as there is no mention of a toddler with her at the accident scene? Who was the man she called from the Texas Intruments office to come and collect her and Burns?

It also has this in regard to going to New Orleans:

Conforto, on November 25, 1963 was driving to New Orleans, Louisiana, and was about 100 miles outside of Dallas, Texas when she heard over the radio that Ruby had killed Lee Harvey Oswald. She became so upset that she returned to Dallas and then decided to come to New York.

If this is true, she obviously did not resume her trip on the morning of the 22nd. But would it have been humanly possible not to hear about the Oswald shooting until the day after it happened? I guess so, but how likely? Also, returning to Dallas after hearing that news, if true, tends to negate any notion she was fleeing on the 22nd through fear of what she knew was about to happen - unless that fear was only in regard to Ruby.

Just thinking out loud here... if going to NO from Dallas, would you need to go down Atwood? I have no idea what the answer is, but if that is not the way you'd go, why was she taking that detour? Burns was not seriously injured, which makes me think she was not exactly speeding. Pulling out from the curb, perhaps, after visiting someone in Texas Instruments?

The doc re the car being stolen in Californmia is in DPD archives folder 1 box 8 item 38. Repoduced below:

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

9248 TWX 214-899-8553 1712 11-29-63

LSG BR

DATA AND STLEN LA LIC 914-985

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

PD DALLAS HENRY ACK PLS GA

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

I can decipher some of this, but not all...

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

Any help on the rest is appreciated.

Also some questions. Why was Georgia in this loop? What was the problem anyway? The car was registered in Louisiana with license plate 914-985. So what if a Californian registered car with with the same numbers was stolen? Who is Guarisco?

I think it's also instructive to compare what's in the records with what John Armstrong wrote (assuming accurate transcription here i this thread from his book):

Time of accident:

DPD doc: 10:45am

Armstrong: Shortly after 12:00

Place:

DPD doc: Atwell St

Armstrong: Lemmon Ave

Injured Party:

DPD doc: Burns

Armstrong: Burnes

Company Burns/Burnes worked for:

DPD doc: Texas Instruments

Armstrong: Texas Estimates

Jada's phone call:

DPD doc: Made from the office of Texas Instruments for the purpose of arranging a lift to a medical clinic for Burns who did not appear seriously injured.

Armstrong:Call was made by Jada from clinic for her to be picked up

What Jada said before going to clinic with Burns:

DPD doc: Gave impression she was in show business

Armstrong: Told Security staff she worked at Carousel and that it would be closed that night

Who did Jada tell she was "in a hurry"?:

DPD doc: told man who arrived to take her and Burns to a doctor, "Let's hurry up and get this over with, I have to get to New Orleans".

Armstrong: Told "Texas Estimates" security staff "she was in a hurry to get to New Orleans.

Someone is telling porkies. Armstrong's flagrant misrepresentation of other evidence (eg NY school records) doesn't inspire much confidence that he's not the porker, but DPD isn't exactly a place renowned as a bastion of honesty, either.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking out loud here... if going to NO from Dallas, would you need to go down Atwood? I have no idea what the answer is, but if that is not the way you'd go, why was she taking that detour? Burns was not seriously injured, which makes me think she was not exactly speeding. Pulling out from the curb, perhaps, after visiting someone in Texas Instruments?

I worked at this very Texas Instruments building for a number of years, and even knew Charlie Burns. Atwell St is a side street that runs along the north side of the TI building at 6000 Lemmon Ave. It runs between Lemmon Ave and Inwood Rd (actually, only to Bordeaux). Nothing along it at the time except for the TI building and it's parking lot across the street (which is probably where Charlie was going when he got hit), and some apartments/condos near Inwood. There used to be a car dealer at Lemmon and Atwell (across Atwell from TI where the Home Depot is now), but don't know if it was there, or what they sold, in 1963.

If you go to Google Earth and punch in N 32.833080, W 96.826763 (just cut and paste) you will see the exact spot she hit him and it's relation to the motorcade route.

It's "possible" that part of Lemmon Ave was shut down because of the upcoming motorcade, and that is why she was going down Atwell. However, seeing as how they opened Elm up right after the assassination, and from looking at other pictures of the motorcade that day, traffic control didn't seem to be a priority, and I doubt that they would have shut down Lemmon (a major road) that early. It's also possible that she knew someone in the apartments at Inwood and Atwell.

JWK

Edited by J. William King

Who is Guarisco? (Greg Parker)

I really don't know who or what Guarisco is but I did come across a Samuel Guarisco while researching Allstate Insurance and a man named Charles Meyer who was on the board of Allstate.

Some brief background on Meyer: He knew JFK from Harvard. He was a combat officer and aide to the Supreme Allied Commander in Korea during WW2. In addition to being on the board of Allstate, he was also on the board of Sears Roebuck and Co., United Fruit Co., and the Republic National Bank.

In 1961, Earl Cabell appointed Meyer to head the Master Transit Plan Committee (a position he held for many years) and in 1969, President Nixon named Meyer as Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs which was to improve relations with Latin America; Meyers having much experience in the region.

All in all, an interesting guy with some amazing connections.

As to Guarisco, I pretty much drew a blank.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

Just thinking out loud here... if going to NO from Dallas, would you need to go down Atwood [edit: should read "Atwell"]? I have no idea what the answer is, but if that is not the way you'd go, why was she taking that detour? Burns was not seriously injured, which makes me think she was not exactly speeding. Pulling out from the curb, perhaps, after visiting someone in Texas Instruments?

I worked at this very Texas Instruments building for a number of years, and even knew Charlie Burns. Atwell St is a side street that runs along the north side of the TI building at 6000 Lemmon Ave. It runs between Lemmon Ave and Inwood Rd (actually, only to Bordeaux). Nothing along it at the time except for the TI building and it's parking lot across the street (which is probably where Charlie was going when he got hit), and some apartments/condos near Inwood. There used to be a car dealer at Lemmon and Atwell (across Atwell from TI where the Home Depot is now), but don't know if it was there, or what they sold, in 1963.

If you go to Google Earth and punch in N 32.833080, W 96.826763 (just cut and paste) you will see the exact spot she hit him and it's relation to the motorcade route.

It's "possible" that part of Lemmon Ave was shut down because of the upcoming motorcade, and that is why she was going down Atwell. However, seeing as how they opened Elm up right after the assassination, and from looking at other pictures of the motorcade that day, traffic control didn't seem to be a priority, and I doubt that they would have shut down Lemmon (a major road) that early. It's also possible that she knew someone in the apartments at Inwood and Atwell.

JWK

Thanks William, whether Lemmon was closed at the time may depend on whether it happened at 10:45 per DPD report, or "shortly after 12" per Armstrong?

Assuming it was not closed, she almost had to be visiting someone in the area.

Did Charlie Burns ever discuss the incident with you?

I really don't know who or what Guarisco is but I did come across a Samuel Guarisco while researching Allstate Insurance and a man named Charles Meyer who was on the board of Allstate.

Some brief background on Meyer: He knew JFK from Harvard. He was a combat officer and aide to the Supreme Allied Commander in Korea during WW2. In addition to being on the board of Allstate, he was also on the board of Sears Roebuck and Co., United Fruit Co., and the Republic National Bank.

In 1961, Earl Cabell appointed Meyer to head the Master Transit Plan Committee (a position he held for many years) and in 1969, President Nixon named Meyer as Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs which was to improve relations with Latin America; Meyers having much experience in the region.

FWIW.

James

James, Meyer's connections do sound amazing. I know there's a fair bit of interest in all connections to the Republican Bank. Direct connections to Earl Cabell, JFK, Inter-American Affairs etc add further spice. Maybe you could start a thread on him to flesh some of this out?

The Samuel Guerisco who is with Allstate is only 47, so I'd venture to suggest he's not the Guerisco mentioned in the DPD doc.

Portion of Greg Parker post follows-

The doc re the car being stolen in Californmia is in DPD archives folder 1 box 8 item 38. Repoduced below:

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

LSG BR

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

-End of Partial Greg Parker post.

I believe the LA is Louisiana, where Jada was from.

LSP is Louisiana State Police?

The DPD had contacted authorities in Louisiana and I believe this report was part of their correspondence?

I apologise for the hatchet job on his post, i forgot to leave the quote brackets in.

Edited by Chuck Robbins

I believe that TWX back then was the telephone company

acronym for a TELETYPE MACHINE, sort of a precursor of the

internet. Written messages could be transmitted long distance

by telephone lines and printed out on a similar machine. Our

office in the fifties had a TWX for sending out news releases.

Jack

FWIW.

James

James, Meyer's connections do sound amazing. I know there's a fair bit of interest in all connections to the Republican Bank. Direct connections to Earl Cabell, JFK, Inter-American Affairs etc add further spice. Maybe you could start a thread on him to flesh some of this out?

The Samuel Guerisco who is with Allstate is only 47, so I'd venture to suggest he's not the Guerisco mentioned in the DPD doc.

Greg,

I think that is Samuel Guerisco Jr. His father was in the insurance business and was referred to as Sammy. I have precious little on him. I lost track when the Meyer connections seemed to go in all the right directions.

James

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

LSG BR

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

The DPD had contacted authorities in Louisiana and I believe this report was part of their correspondence?

I apologise for the hatchet job on his post, i forgot to leave the quote brackets in.

No apology necessary, Chuck. I must admit to occasional confusion when looking at US state/city abreviations. When I read your previous post about the car reportedly being stolen in "LA", I immediately assumed Los Angeles. This report was the one you seem to have been referring to in that prior post? If so, it's not entirely clear to me what your concern is. The car ended up back in Louisiana and was stolen on or about the 29th. Is there more to it than that?

I believe that TWX back then was the telephone company

acronym for a TELETYPE MACHINE, sort of a precursor of the

internet. Written messages could be transmitted long distance

by telephone lines and printed out on a similar machine. Our

office in the fifties had a TWX for sending out news releases.

Jack

Thanks Jack. That makes sense.

FWIW.

James

Greg,

I think that is Samuel Guerisco Jr. His father was in the insurance business and was referred to as Sammy. I have precious little on him. I lost track when the Meyer connections seemed to go in all the right directions.

James

James, it occurred to me this guy might be a "Jr". It's just that he's not listed that way... though I guess it's not compulsory B)

There is a Samuel G listed in Louisiana who is old enough to your guy's father, but I think the key to sorting out who is being referenced in the teletype is deciphering it. Could be a cop with LSP?

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

LSG BR

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

No apology necessary, Chuck. I must admit to occasional confusion when looking at US state/city abreviations. When I read your previous post about the car reportedly being stolen in "LA", I immediately assumed Los Angeles. This report was the one you seem to have been referring to in that prior post? If so, it's not entirely clear to me what your concern is. The car ended up back in Louisiana and was stolen on or about the 29th. Is there more to it than that?

There is no report which indicates a time of theft.

The date on that paper is the date the message was sent to Dallas.

I don't understand why, 1week after the assassination, the LA authorities would feel compelled to report to the DPD that Jada's car had been stolen in LA.

Did they expect the DPD to come find the car for them?

Did they think someone had followed her from Dallas, stolen the car, and were, at that moment, en route to Dallas?

It just makes no sense to me since she was not suspected of having been involved in JFK's assassination..

Maybe it was an attempt by Jada, to indicate that Jada was not in Dallas, since her car had been stolen from her in NO....?

I have problems with scenarios which, in my opinion, don't make sense.

Thanks for responding.....

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

LSG BR

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

There is no report which indicates a time of theft.

The date on that paper is the date the message was sent to Dallas.

Chuck, that's why I said "on or about the 29th". She was on her way to Louisiana on the 25th, heard about Ruby shooting Oswald and headed back to Dallas before going to NY, so it couldn't have been too long before the 29th. And on that very date, Nichols of DPD Auto Theft Bureau wrote a memo indicating LA had told them the car was not wanted or stolen in that state. This info however, was probably received by DPD the previous day.

I don't understand why, 1week after the assassination, the LA authorities would feel compelled to report to the DPD that Jada's car had been stolen in LA.

It may help to look at the chronology of events.

11/22 - Jada hits Burns as she was en route to LA.

11/25 - Jada resumes trip to LA but returns to Dallas when she hears about Ruby shooting Oswald.

11/27 - Bill Walsh of Texas Instruments contacts DPD to tell them about the accident - apparently concerned Jada may have some connection to events that weekend. Details he provides includes Jada's license plate number.

11/28 - Batchelor writes a memo to Stevenson concerning Walsh's story.

11/28? - LA police contacted to run a trace on license plate number.

11/29 - Nichols of the DPD Auto Theft Bureau writes a memo indicating Jada confirmed by LA as owner and that the car was not listed as stolen or wanted in that state.

11/29 - LA police send teletype indicating car is stolen.

Did they expect the DPD to come find the car for them?

I think DPD asked for a check on the license on 11/28. The reply was probably received same day, and typed up the next. In the meantime, the car actually was reported as stolen. LA, knowing DPD had just inquired about the car, sent the teletype to inform them.

Did they think someone had followed her from Dallas, stolen the car, and were, at that moment, en route to Dallas?

It just makes no sense to me since she was not suspected of having been involved in JFK's assassination..

Maybe it was an attempt by Jada, to indicate that Jada was not in Dallas, since her car had been stolen from her in NO....?

She might do that if she actually had been involved, but then, too many people could place her in Dallas, and she'd be well aware of that.

I have problems with scenarios which, in my opinion, don't make sense.

Your questions may be valid, and I may be wrong, but it looks to me the teletype about it being stolen wouldn't have been sent if Dallas hadn't been making inquiries about the car the day before.

Thanks for responding.....

Pete Guarisco in Morgan City.......WCE 3005

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=146633

Another WCD on Pete Guarisco, mentions his friends, or acquaintances in Dallas...

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=328372

After the assassination.......

From DMN article - It Happened One Night of 12-4-63 [series on Dallas nightlife scene, social circles etc.,]

"Stripteaser JADA CONFORTO, friend of Jack Ruby visited 'This was Burlesque' and asked ANN CORIO for a job.

Ann said no." .....wonder why

More on ANN CORIO

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=145479

There is quite a bit of info re Pete Guarisco, precious little on the other.

Hang on just a second here. Is there any information about Jada's Cadillac being stolen other than this teletype? I don't see anything on the teletype message saying it was stolen. What I see a teletype from one department to another requesting, or responding to, a request for information (including whether it's stolen or not) on her license plate. I see nothing that says it was stolen.

Here's how I read it:

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS = "This is Lousiana State Police, Baton Rouge, ??, Please"

9248 TWX 214-899-8553 1712 11-29-63 = "???, Telephone 214-899-8553 (a Dallas number), 5:12pm, 11-29-1963"

LSG BR = "???, Baton Rouge"

DATA AND STLEN LA LIC 914-985 = "Need (regarding?) information and if-stolen information for Lousania license plate #914-985"

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX = "Please call our phone number collect"

PD DALLAS HENRY ACK PLS GA = Dallas Police Department, Henry, Acknowledge Please, ???

LSP BR REC GUARISCO = "Lousaina State Police, Batron Rouge, ???, Guarisco (sender's name)

JWK

Edited by J. William King