The Education Forum

Net Advertising and Educational Websites

John Simkin

I think Graham has a very good point here. My students conform to the Swedish profile for on-line students: largely women, in their mid-30s to mid-40s, with jobs, houses, and/or businesses and a VVV (villa-Volvo-vovve or house-Volvo-dog!).

They like simple sites, and they love podcasting (I have the results of a survey to prove it!). I think the key factor is that they know how to network, so networking via computers is simply an add-on to skills they already possess.

I'm considering clicking on the 'Adverts' button for our course blogs … except that I don't think that it's very ethical for me as teacher to gain personally (even at the minimal advertising rates Google offer) from a site I require them as students to go to. I don't think they'd be put off by the fairly discreet sort of advertising The Education Forum carries … but it'd need to be geared to their interests. On the other hand, my students are very good at filtering out distractions - it's what most of them have to do all day long!

• 1 month later...

It has surprised me that none of the other search-engine companies have really competed with Google concerning its advertising technology. Yesterday, Yahoo announced that it was having problems developing this new software and will now not launch it until the end of the year. As a result, Yahoo’s shares fell by 19%. The drop knocked $10bn (£5.4bn) off Yahoo’s market value.