The Education Forum

Snipernet & SystemDoctor

I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem:

You go to the Education Forum login page and suddenly a new instance of your browser is showing up with an address of snipernet.com. When you close it, a System Doctor ad pops up. If you attempt to close out any of the windows or dialogs, SystemDoctor attempts to scan your system.

If that isn't PITA enough, I always have on a full suite of blocking tools including McAfee Internet Security (I don't use pop-up blockers, for a very specific reason). I have even BANNED the addresses these ads come from, and they have apparently managed to figure out how to disable my McAfee.

Is this sanctioned by Ed Forum? Are y'all even aware of it? Am I the only one having this problem?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You go to the Education Forum login page and suddenly a new instance of your browser is showing up with an address of snipernet.com. When you close it, a System Doctor ad pops up. If you attempt to close out any of the windows or dialogs, SystemDoctor attempts to scan your system.

If that isn't PITA enough, I always have on a full suite of blocking tools including McAfee Internet Security (I don't use pop-up blockers, for a very specific reason). I have even BANNED the addresses these ads come from, and they have apparently managed to figure out how to disable my McAfee.

Is this sanctioned by Ed Forum? Are y'all even aware of it? Am I the only one having this problem?

Not only are you not the only one having this problem, but I have encountered some adverts which, time constraint's prevent me from mentioning. If memory serves, this 'issue' has been mentioned by other Forum members who do not post on the JFK Debate section of the Forum, Pop-up Blocker's don't seem to help moi too much. It is, even to be tactful 'an irritant.'

Yesterday morning, for the first time ever, I found myself already connected to the internet, when I normally have to sign in.

I actually sent myself a letter today mentioning this in case anything dodgey (from wherever) appeared from that date on my computer. Better than nothing?

ST

"It is unlikely that these problems are coming from the forum, and without a specific url of an ad deemed responsible virtually impossible for me to investigate."

URL pop-up banner's I have encountered when I access the Forum, are......

newzfind.con

downloaderrorsafe.com

and his buddy

errorsafe.com

adgateinfo.com

and

gosystemdoctor.com

my pop-up blocker seems to be inconsistent when it comes to preventing the pop-up's from popping-up again, once I add the URL to my list of blocked site's; Lately errorsafe.com

open's up ONLY if I decide to go to a section of the Forum other than the JFK Debate section.

tips::

if you have not the get a firewall, a (or two) anti virus and a couple of anti ad spy ware

zonealarm free ada aware free spybot search and destroy free. Whatever, make sure they're all started up before connecting to internet.

when diconnecting, pull the modem/ phone cable

run and update utilities at least weekly.

shrink the cache to a few megs set default to clean out thoroughly all caches at end of session , if you need to save anything set up to do it or do it manually, anyway clear out all caches.

if your kids share and need browser permissions that lower security as a lot of their interest sites on music ang games do, set a separate account for them.

clear any vm files regularly by rebooting.

get MYIE2 which turns IE into multitab browser with enhanced popup blocker if needed.

go to SHIELDSUP site and test your security

Edited by John Dolva

I just came onto the fourm, read down this thread...I'm on the latest version of IE, whatever that is...

When I went to use the BACK tab, out of curiosity I hit the down arrow next to the tab...and found four layers of "AdvertPRO Server/1.0" between this thread and the main page of the JFK Debate.

This has happened quite a lot, and I even sent the AdvertPRO folks a nasty email...and they replied and told me the problem wasn't with their product, but rather with IE...they suggested I switch to Foxfire.

Since I don't experience the problem at any other sites, I've resigned myself to accept it, rather than switch browsers for a problem that only occurs when I visit one particular site on the entire internet.

When I switched to (free) MYIE2 addon to IE, I find that the multitab environment it provides enhances security, you can set it to open links differently, into a different tab, then individual tabs can be just set to refresh, iow you never jump in or out of them, you can even set them to auto refresh while having 200 or so other windows to brows through. (you can even skin it to look like firefox) What it means is that you can no longer with these settings access a different set of sites again. Particularly where heavy java is involved. So for these sites, and you quickly learn to recognise them you just fire up IE for that session.

Another thing with multiuse computers, some people will give pop up rights where you don't want them, in some instances cookie rights are fiddled with. A browse through the prmission list and ditching those not wanted, heck ditch the lot regulkarly and get them to ask for permission again.

It is unlikely that these problems are coming from the forum, and without a specific url of an ad deemed responsible virtually impossible for me to investigate.

However if you have been invaded by spyware from whatever source go to the following link to find the uninstaller

http://www.spybot.info/en/spybotsd/index.html

Thanks, Andy, but as others have attested, this problem is ONLY appearing on the Ed Forum ... and it ONLY happens when I arrive there as a "guest," i.e., before I sign in. If you'll send me a private message or (preferably) an email, I'll return the URLs to you to check into.

I have got SpyBot, MS Defender, AdAware and SpyWareBlaster installed in addition to McAfee Security Suite. It concerns me that I've had no problems elsewhere, and this attack seems sophisticated enough to be able to rip down my firewalls - I'm behind two software and one hardware 'walls.

It is emanating from 169.254.1.67 and 169.254.1.257 and 169.254.1.58 from the NameServer BLACKHOLE-x.IANA.ORG, supposedly the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, with an "OrgAbuseName" of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number, i.e., ICANN, phone +1-310-301-5820 (Marina Del Ray, CA), tech phone +1-310-301-5820, attempting to come through my ports 21302 and 27971. HackerWatch calls it a "'NewTear' attack," for which I can't seem to find much in the way of identification.

Hope this helps!

... Incidentally, I'm using IE7.0 beta, and the attacks started - or at least are on my current logs - on 10 May. Here's an interesting tidbit: the only thing I changed on the date the attacks started was "Definition Update 1.14.1452.3 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597)!" :lol:

Edited by Duke Lane

arrgghh ...the wily ways of Bill...

I should have read your initial post first.

good set up. one of the first things I do if I sense an attack, is to look at the fire alarm window of logs, and press ctraltdel to see whats consuming resources, if need be is pull the plug on the modem, then consider cleaning everything out and restarting. On the other hand if system doctor is a part of macaffee? then maybe it default responds like that and can be tweaked to not do so?

this problem is ONLY appearing on the Ed Forum ... and it ONLY happens when I arrive there as a "guest," i.e., before I sign in.

It seems to me that one way to solve the problem is to never log out. That way, whenever you come back, you're already logged in. (This reminds me of a joke about the Old Log Inn. But that's off subject and off color too.)

Also, Mark said someone suggested switching to Firefox. I would recommend that anyway. I started using Firefox months ago, and find it much preferable to IE. It just seems to work better.

this problem is ONLY appearing on the Ed Forum ... and it ONLY happens when I arrive there as a "guest," i.e., before I sign in.

It seems to me that one way to solve the problem is to never log out. That way, whenever you come back, you're already logged in. (This reminds me of a joke about the Old Log Inn. But that's off subject and off color too.)

Also, Mark said someone suggested switching to Firefox. I would recommend that anyway. I started using Firefox months ago, and find it much preferable to IE. It just seems to work better.

Should we all be using Mac? [lol]