The Education Forum

Offer by Ralph Nader of 'Cruel and Unusual' by Mark Crispin Miller

Hello all,

I thought that activist type members of the forum might avail of this.

I received an email from the Nader/Camejo team with an offer.

24 copies of 'Cruel and Unusual' by Mark Crispin Miller. Mr. Miller is a professor of media studies at New York University.

Here is the blurb from the publisher.

A mordant and passionate exposé of the right-wing threat to American democracy and freedom. Read a newspaper or catch the news on television, and you might get the impression that America's current leadership is "mainstream": perhaps a bit more conservative and in its foreign policy more belligerent than its predecessors, but still a federal authority that functions within America's political traditions.

But as Mark Crispin Miller argues here with great clarity and effect, we are in fact living in a state that would appall the Founding Fathers: a state that is neither democratic nor republican, and no more "conservative" than it is liberal. He exposes the Bush Republicans' contempt for democratic practice, their bullying religiosity, their reckless militarism, their apocalyptic views of the economy and the planet, and—above all—their emotional dependence on sheer hatefulness.

Abraham Lincoln once observed that, if the United States should ever be subverted, "it will be conquered from within." And that is exactly what has happened.

I'm counting my pennies to see if I can spare the cash. My only problem is that I have to give them all out by the time I leave D.C. for Ireland in August.

I think that buying these would come under the title of public service.

Of course you must first trust Mr.Naders judgement of the book, which personally, I do.

Here is the link.

http://www.independencegear.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=BKS

All the best,

John

Wow. We're such a rotten, evil, conniving country. Why did you even bother coming over?

P.S. Has your boss assaulted anyone today? She's due.

Do you have a real job, or do you just get paid to harrass forum members?

You are certainly nasty. What's JOhn ever done to you?

Aside from your belief that LHO killed JFk, why are you REALLY here?

(Not that I expect a truthful answer.) Rhetorical question I guess.

Dawn

Wow. We're such a rotten, evil, conniving country. Why did you even bother coming over?

P.S. Has your boss assaulted anyone today? She's due.

Do you have a real job, or do you just get paid to harrass forum members?

You are certainly nasty. What's JOhn ever done to you?

Aside from your belief that LHO killed JFk, why are you REALLY here?

(Not that I expect a truthful answer.) Rhetorical question I guess.

Dawn

My job is to stomp out mindless anti-Americanism wherever I find it, and this place is a goldmine. John, I might remind you, is a guest in my country, and guests should not insult their hosts. I don't suffer ingrates well.

My job is to stomp out mindless anti-Americanism wherever I find it, and this place is a goldmine. John, I might remind you, is a guest in my country, and guests should not insult their hosts. I don't suffer ingrates well.

Brendan,

John is not your guest, I invited him and helped arrange the internship at Cynthia's office, where I'm sure he is learning a lot about the American political system and is being treated much more cordually than he would at your "public relations" (Sic) office.

Appologies to John for your rudeness as the only thing you have hosted is your own ignorance.

So far, I'm sure your the only mindless American he's encountered.

You can't be a serious Washington public relations man if you don't know my former Browns Mills, N.J. neighbor Ed Gillespie, the son of an Irish (Donegal) saloon keeper (JC's), former head of the Republican Party of the United States who now runs a real DC PR agency.

The next time I'm in DC I was going to ask you to meet us at Brian Kelley's bar at the Old Ebbet Grille, who knows quite a bit about American politics, but I'm afraid that I'll punch you out and it won't be worth getting flagged from the Ebbit. Cynthia isn't the only one who can throw a good right hook in DC.

It's a shame that others have asked John to post some of his experiences here, but instead you intimidate him like a schoolyard bully. Somebody should have taught you some manners long ago.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Edited by William Kelly

Brendan,

John is not your guest, I invited him and helped arrange the internship at Cynthia's office, where I'm sure he is learning a lot about the American political system and is being treated much more cordually than he would at your "public relations" (Sic) office.

Appologies to John for your rudeness as the only thing you have hosted is your own ignorance.

So far, I'm sure your the only mindless American he's encountered.

You can't be a serious Washington public relations man if you don't know my former Browns Mills, N.J. neighbor Ed Gillespie, the son of an Irish (Donegal) saloon keeper (JC's), former head of the Republican Party of the United States who now runs a real DC PR agency.

The next time I'm in DC I was going to ask you to meet us at Brian Kelley's bar at the Old Ebbet Grille, who knows quite a bit about American politics, but I'm afraid that I'll punch you out and it won't be worth getting flagged from the Ebbit. Cynthia isn't the only one who can throw a good right hook in DC.

It's a shame that others have asked John to post some of his experiences here, but instead you intimidate him like a schoolyard bully. Somebody should have taught you some manners long ago.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Bill, he's not staying at your house, so he's not your guest. He's a guest at-large. When you're on foreign soil, please try be deferential and respectful. Is there such a thing as an "Ugly Irishman"? We'll soon find out. And why no grief for his off-topic post?

I know of Ed Gillespie but don't know him personally. My job has nothing to do with politics. Nice try, though.

Yeah, Old Ebbett is great (esp the oyster bar), but Fran O-Brien's was more my haunt till they closed it down last month. On the basis of your avatar, please don't threaten violence. The swing alone might finish you.

I would just like to say that I have been thoroughly enjoying my time here in D.C. and EVERYONE has been very courteous and generally lovely towards me.

If anyone wishes to discuss politics I suggest that they discuss it in a relevant thread.

I will no longer be responding to any of a certain persons messages as they serve no purpose other than to agrivate myself and other members.

I advise others to do the same.

Thank you to everybody on the forum and I will as always give my input as I see fit, but I will no longer waste my time on useless topics.

Don't waste your time everyone, I mean that.

I have had the privilege to live in this country this past while and will continue to live here and spend my time as I see fit.

I reside here legally and will continue to do so.

Thank you Bill and everyone else, I urge you not to respond to any attacks by anyone that does not raise a VALID point.

I have learned not to be lured into pointless debates.

You are all doing your part and now I'm trying to do mine.

All the best,

John