7960 June Lake Dr.

San Diego, 19, Calf.

24 Nov. 1963

Dear Paul,

Perhaps you are aware that ONI has quite a file on Oswald, which no

doubt has been made avbailable on the Washington level. If not I am

certain that this information can be obtained for you through our resident

special agent in charge of our Dallas office, A.C. Sullivan, who is a

wonderful agent, and whom I hope you know.

As a personal friend I congratulate you - wish you continued success -

and pray that your guardian angel will remain close at hand and

vigilant, always.

Respectifully,

Robert D. Steel

Commander USNR-R

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING ON DET. PAUL BENTLEY, ROBERT D. STEEL OR A.C. SULLIVAN?

BK

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Det. Paul Bentley

Dallas Police Dept.

Dallas, Texas

7960 June Lake Dr.

San Diego, 19, Calf.

24 Nov. 1963

Dear Paul,

Perhaps you are aware that ONI has quite a file on Oswald, which no

doubt has been made avbailable on the Washington level. If not I am

certain that this information can be obtained for you through our resident

special agent in charge of our Dallas office, A.C. Sullivan, who is a

wonderful agent, and whom I hope you know.

As a personal friend I congratulate you - wish you continued success -

and pray that your guardian angel will remain close at hand and

vigilant, always.

Respectifully,

Robert D. Steel

Commander USNR-R

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING ON DET. PAUL BENTLEY, ROBERT D. STEEL OR A.C. SULLIVAN?

BK

Bentley: One of Oswald's arresting officers. Searched Oswald's wallet on way back to station. His report stated "On the way to City Hall, I removed the subject's wallet and obtained his name." No mention of "Hidell whatsoever. Ditto the other four cops in the car. Never called to testify by WC. Told the media that HE was the one whose hand stopped the pistol from firing.

AC Carroll: Full name Arthur Carroll Sullivan, Jr. ONI 27 years. Career also included working for FBI and as a n investigator for the Dallas DA

Steele: Did clandestine, covert action and technical collection work for counterintelligence programs. Once named on the list of the top 100 "unsung heroes who helped create the future." Multilingual. Perhaps it was with tongue firmly in cheek that in 1992, he formed a company called OSS?

Steele: Did clandestine, covert action and technical collection work for counterintelligence programs. Once named on the list of the top 100 "unsung heroes who helped create the future." Multilingual. Perhaps it was with tongue firmly in cheek that in 1992, he formed a company called OSS? (Greg Parker)

Greg,

Do you know if Robert Steele was any relation to Col. James Steele who mixed with Felix Rodriguez?

James

Steele: Did clandestine, covert action and technical collection work for counterintelligence programs. Once named on the list of the top 100 "unsung heroes who helped create the future." Multilingual. Perhaps it was with tongue firmly in cheek that in 1992, he formed a company called OSS? (Greg Parker)

Greg,

Do you know if Robert Steele was any relation to Col. James Steele who mixed with Felix Rodriguez?

James

Sorry James. Can't help on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

The most recent history of ONI is by Jeffrey Dorwart, History Prof. at Rutgers U.

Garrison mentions in a footnote to On The Trail of the Assassins (p. 41), that the Louisiana State Police found a book in Guy Bannister's office, Naval Intelligence, by Admiral Ellis Zacharias.

Does anyone have a copy of this book, or know anything about it?

BK

The most recent history of ONI is by Jeffrey Dorwart, History Prof. at Rutgers U.

Garrison mentions in a footnote to On The Trail of the Assassins (p. 41), that the Louisiana State Police found a book in Guy Bannister's office, Naval Intelligence, by Admiral Ellis Zacharias.

BK

I have just established contact with former DPD Detective (polygrah examiner) Paul Bentley. He is possibly best recalled as the man with the big cigar in the picures as Oswald is placed into the police car outside the theatre. Progress is fairly slow as Bentley is not on the net so we are corresponding by snail mail. He is getting on in years but is lucid, helpful and blessed with a good memory. It is also an advantage that he and I share a past in LE.

IAN

I am glad you have contact with him Ian. Some time ago, I did some research on Bentley. He was in charge of some very important polygraph examinations after the assassination. One particular officer failed an examination performed by Bentley regarding whether or not Ruby had assistance entering the basement before Oswald was shot. He admitted so but HSCA could not find the results of that study. Almost all of Bentley's other polygraph examinations successfully discounted witnesses who's opinions did not reflect that of the Warren Commission. HSCA was privy to those. I called it at the time "The Polygraph Contingency".

Jason Vermeer

BK

Bill,

Is the correct name of the book 'Naval Intelligence'?

As an aside, one of Zacharias' literary collaborators was a man named Ladislas Farago. In early 1963, Farago wrote a series of articles concerning the woeful state of U.S. anti-submarine warfare preparation. He said they were lacking Congressional backing which hampered weapon research and the improving of technology; that the cautious spending would also result in mechanical deficiencies.

About two months after Farago's material was published, the Thresher went down.

FWIW.

Ellis Zacharias below.

James

Edited by James Richards

Bill,

BK

Robert Steel was the brother of Margaret Hoover. In the third week of October, Mrs. Hoover found an envelope in her front yard. Inside the envelope was an advertisement. On the back of the advertisement were the words Lee Oswald, Rubenstein, Jack Ruby, and Dallas, Texas.

See the FBI Harris Report of December 2, 1963 pages 6-7.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=7

Steve Thomas

Bill,

BK

Robert Steel was the brother of Margaret Hoover. In the third week of October, Mrs. Hoover found an envelope in her front yard. Inside the envelope was an advertisement. On the back of the advertisement were the words Lee Oswald, Rubenstein, Jack Ruby, and Dallas, Texas.

See the FBI Harris Report of December 2, 1963 pages 6-7.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=7

Steve Thomas

Steve,

I am very familiar with the evidence collected by Mrs. Margaret Hover, of Martinsburg, Pa., and whose daughter confirmed viewing same, which was part of some trash being burned by neigbhbor, Julio Fernandez, a an anti-Castro Cuban journalist and publishers. I talked with Mrs. Hover on the telephone a few times (circa 1970-72) and obtained more details.

While they have the same name, I don't believe the Robert Steel USNR in San Diego is related to Mrs. Hover, though if so, it would be amazing and important. Thanks for noticing that.

BK

SO THE NAVAL COMMANDER - WHO COULD VOUCH FOR ONI'S OSWALD FILE -

IS THE BROTHER OF THE WOMAN WHO FOUND TRAIN TICKETS MARKED

... DALLAS, TEXAS / LEE OSWALD /"JACK RUBY" / RUBENSTEIN ....

IN SEPTEMBER 1963 ?

SO THE NAVAL COMMANDER - WHO COULD VOUCH FOR ONI'S OSWALD FILE -

IS THE BROTHER OF THE WOMAN WHO FOUND TRAIN TICKETS MARKED

... DALLAS, TEXAS / LEE OSWALD /"JACK RUBY" / RUBENSTEIN ....

IN SEPTEMBER 1963 ?

Shanet,

As a trained historian, much needed on this case,

you know you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The name Robert Steel may be the same,

but it is most probabaly two different individuals,

no matter how much of a conspiracy anyone would like to imagine,

including me.

Back in early 70s, while I was a student at the University of Dayton,

the library had a copy of the WC volumes, which I began to read,

focusing on the Cuban connections as part of my Latin American studies

course. I did my thesis on the bay of pigs, but read the WC records

in my spare time, and came across the Pennsylvania State Police and FBI

reports on Mrs. Hover.

I don't think it is the same Robert Steel because Mrs. Hover's brother is

the one who stopped by the PSP barricks to report that her sister found

some documents before the assassination that might be important.

Mrs. Hover told the police and later the FBI (from Pittsburgh office) that

she found some trash that had blown over to her yard, including a trailer

advertisment that she thought belonged to her ex-husband that had the

names Lee and Ruby written on the back. She showed this to her daughter, who

later confirmed this fact, because she believed that Lee and Ruby were aquaintences

of her husband. There was also some other writing, including "Silver Slipper" and

a receipt for a rail ticket from DC to Florida. Then she realized that the trash was

from the nearby yard of a new neighbor who was burning his trash, ie. the evidence.

The FBI then went over to meet the neighbor, Dr. Julio Fernandez and his wife,

both Cuban exile publishers of a pre-Castro newspaper, who explained that he

was an anti-Communist, like JFK and had nothing to do with the assassination. His son,

Julio, Jr., an art student at Penn State College, used the train ticket to attend a six week long

conference of Cuban journalists at the University of Miami earlier that summer.

Mrs. Hover's son in law told the FBI that his wife is on tranqualizers and says anything

her mother tells her, though when the FBI interviewed the daughter, she steadfastly

stuck to her guns and that the names "Lee" "Ruby" and "Silver Slipper" were written on the back

of the cardboard trailer advertisement that the neighbor was burning.

After reading those reports, around 1971, I located Mrs. Hover's number in the public

phone book and talked with her on a few occasions. She told me the story as it previously

appeared in the reports, and that Dr. Fernandez often typed frantically late into the night. He

also suddely quit his job teaching spanish at the local high school and moved out of town.

Other neighbors later said that he moved to near Rye, New York.

And oh, yea, Mrs. Hover said, I wasn't the only one interested,

some men in suits came aound asking for Julio Fernandez

as well.

Then in 1978, Gateton Fonzi was hired to work for Sen. Schweiker of the Church Committee

and later the HSCA, during which time he searched in vain for "Julio Fernandez" the

anti-Castro Cuban member of the Florida terrorist boat that Clare Luce Booth "sponsored." On the

night of the assassination, Luce got a phone call from this "Julio Fernandez" saying he had

evidence on Oswald, the accused assssin, who associated with his DRE group.

While Luce later claimed "Julio Fernandez" may have been his "war name," and Fonzi gave up his

search for the fleeting Fernanzed, there really were two Julios Fernandez, Sr. and Jr., either of whom

could have been one of Luce's "boys."

Now if Robert Steel, the brother of Margaret Hover, who first thought her allegations serious enough

to report to the local State Police, is the same Robert Steel USNR, San Diego, who had access to

LHO's ONI file, then the whole incident can be looked at in a different light.

So there's something for somebody to do if you have the spare time.

So much research, so little time.

BK

Bill,

Now if Robert Steel, the brother of Margaret Hover, who first thought her allegations serious enough

to report to the local State Police, is the same Robert Steel USNR, San Diego, who had access to

BK

Here's the entry from Mary Ferrell's database:

LAST STEELE FIRST ROBERT MID/AKA

ADDRESS 316 Brayton Ave., Altoona, PA 'PHONE

SOURCES CD 53, pp. 6-7; "ONI", pp. 196-197

COMMENT Brother of Mrs. Margaret Kathryn Hoover.

LAST STEEL

CD 53 is the FBI Report I cited above.

If someone has access to the book, "ONI", maybe they could cross reference the entries.

Steve Thomas

Bill,

BK

Here's the entry from Mary Ferrell's database:

LAST STEELE FIRST ROBERT MID/AKA

ADDRESS 316 Brayton Ave., Altoona, PA 'PHONE

SOURCES CD 53, pp. 6-7; "ONI", pp. 196-197

COMMENT Brother of Mrs. Margaret Kathryn Hoover.

LAST STEEL

CD 53 is the FBI Report I cited above.

If someone has access to the book, "ONI", maybe they could cross reference the entries.

Steve Thomas