The Education Forum

Who was Skip and who would be AMS?

I've been reading some cables and dispatches relating to the ZRRIFLE program and in a memo from AMS to William K. Harvey, it says that "Skip has been given the QJWIN contract, including the extension to 1 March 1963."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=2

Anyone know who Skip might be and whose initials would be AMS?

Steve Thomas

I've been reading some cables and dispatches relating to the ZRRIFLE program and in a memo from AMS to William K. Harvey, it says that "Skip has been given the QJWIN contract, including the extension to 1 March 1963."

Steve Thomas

Steve,

AMS could be Arnold M. Silver. This is one interesting guy. He is rarely mentioned and well worth researching.

James

Steve Thomas

Steve,

AMS could be Arnold M. Silver. This is one interesting guy. He is rarely mentioned and well worth researching.

James

That's gotta be him.

"Through the FBN agent, the CIA's Luxembourg Station Chief, Arnold Silver, contacted QJ/WIN in the autumn of 1958..." (The Strength of the Wolf, p228)

"Skip" I believe might be be a guy called Skip Davidson.

Thanks guys. You've been really helpful.

From Mary Ferrell's database:

LAST SILVER FIRST ARNOLD MID/AKA M.

? Is he the Arnold Silver at 154 Chessington Rd., Richmond, VA 23236 in

1994 ? 'PHONE ? (804) 323-0041 ?

SOURCES Dirty Work, Agee and Wolf, pp. 656-657

COMMENT DOB: 12/4/19. POB: Massachusetts. Wife: Annemarie. Received Masters

Degree from Harvard in 1942. Chief of Station, Luxembourg, 1957-1960.

He is probably the "A.S." mentioned in ZRRIFLE (WKH - AS).

Steve

"Skip" I believe might be be a guy called Skip Davidson. (Greg Parker)

Greg,

Do you have any background on this guy? I have never heard of him.

James

Not much, I'm afraid. I threw him in as he's the only CIA guy I'm aware of who goes by "Skip". All I know about him is that he was involved in operations in India and Sri Lanka (at the time still known as Ceylon) around 1970 - 1972 period. What he did prior to that, and subsequent to that, I have no idea.

I threw him in as he's the only CIA guy I'm aware of who goes by "Skip".

Though it doesn't make much sense to consider him in the context of running QJ/WIN, let's not forget Loran "Skip" Hall. While I can't imagine Hall traipsing off to Dakar or Trieste, it is equally bizarre for Texas gun runner Thomas Davis to get busted in Tangiers and be released via the juice QJ/WIN had with the local authorities.

Though it doesn't make much sense to consider him in the context of running QJ/WIN, let's not forget Loran "Skip" Hall. While I can't imagine Hall traipsing off to Dakar or Trieste, it is equally bizarre for Texas gun runner Thomas Davis to get busted in Tangiers and be released via the juice QJ/WIN had with the local authorities.

Robert,

good point. Had forgotten Hall had the nick-name "Skip". I believe he was a guest of Castro during the Summer of '59. Don't know much about what he was up to between being released, and late 1963.

It does seem far more likely whatever he was up to, it involved anti-Castro activity, but who knows, as your example shows.

Robert,

good point. Had forgotten Hall had the nick-name "Skip". I believe he was a guest of Castro during the Summer of '59. Don't know much about what he was up to between being released, and late 1963.

It does seem far more likely whatever he was up to, it involved anti-Castro activity, but who knows, as your example shows.

Greg,

In early in 1963, Hall was travelling around with Gerry Hemming. In the summer of 1963 he was mixing with Lawrence Howard and William Seymour. In October, he is arrested with Seymour in Dallas. At the time of the assassination, he was allegedy in Dallas with Gerry Hemming's rifle.

Hall and Hemming below.

James