The Education Forum

Bernardo Morales

Yep, I cover that one at some great length in my book...the FBI actually spent an immense

amount of time investigating the letter and purported plot, including the names that turned

up in the thing. Lots and lots of reports on this. It turned out to be totally nebulous

and its interesting to speculate who might have had the appropriate addresses and

names for free Cuba radio staions (one name leaps to mind) and who may have been

involved in ongoing anti-Cuba/Castro propaganda efforts.

-- Larry

Yep, I cover that one at some great length in my book...the FBI actually spent an immense

amount of time investigating the letter and purported plot, including the names that turned

up in the thing. Lots and lots of reports on this. It turned out to be totally nebulous

and its interesting to speculate who might have had the appropriate addresses and

names for free Cuba radio staions (one name leaps to mind) and who may have been

involved in ongoing anti-Cuba/Castro propaganda efforts.

-- Larry

aha, well I look forward to reading about it in your book. It just seemed to me to be a very convieniant made up story to put the blame on Castro. Interesting though that it is almost a year before the assassination, plans were obviously laid well before.

I don't suppose Bernardo Morales was in any way related to David Morales?

Hi Larry,

Do you know if it was ever established that Bernardo Morales was an actual person and were there any further details on P.O. Box 1624? If the name was false, Bernardo Morales is certainly an interesting combination of monikers.

I take it that David Phillips might have been behind this?

Cheers,

James

James, they certainly never came up with a Bernardo Morales who was known to the folks

at the radio station, either their office in Miami or the actual off shore station. You will

find some documents on this in the exhibits for Chapter 7 - an HSCA memo and a

Secret Service memo.

They did eventually develop some names for investigation but none of them went anywhere

at all....but it was taken very seriously and the Secret Service spent seven or eight

months on it.

However, this was not the only element of the threat - an informant in (amazingly)

Guatemala first surfaced a rumor that Castro was sponsoring an effort to kill JFK -

the informant reported a detailed dialog between Castro agents. Of course this one

went nowhere to.

But when you combine Guatemala with radio stations somehow the name David

Phillips does come to mine....especially when you add in anti-Castro propaganda.

But would old David go so far as to hoax American agencies?

-- tongue forcefully in cheek... Larry

Now James, let's not think of it as "underhanded", let's think of it as "plausably

deniable".

And anyway, its just a matter of getting a jump on the bad guys....its not like

they would not do it eventually, its just "forward leaning" to do it first and then

blame them in advance. Much more efficient, saves everyone time.

-- Larry

Thanks, Larry.

BTW, I am absolutely shocked that anyone connected to the Intelligence services would be involved with something underhanded. :rolleyes:

James