The Education Forum

LEE ODUM

LEE ODOM, P.O. Box 19106, Dallas Texas

From On The Trail of the Assassins (p. 170) Jim Garrison.

From Clay Shaw’s notebook :

“LEE ODOM, P.O. Box 19106, Dallas Texas”

“…this odd tem was revealed publicly when Shaw’s attorneys sought to have the address book returned to him. Our office opposed this move, and in our written opposition we called attention to an interesting fact: The citation of “P.O. 19106” appeared in Lee Oswald’s address book as well as Shaw’s.”

“After several days of silence, Shaw’s attorneys produced a man named Lee Odom, who at that time rented post office box number 174 in Irving, a suburb of Dallas. He stated that he was from Dallas and that, while P.O. Box 19106 had never been in his name, it had been used for several months by a barbeque company with which he was once associated.”

“Shaw’s attorneys,…picked it up from there and explained that Odom had once met Clay Shaw to discuss the possibility of promoting a bullfight in New Orleans.”

Bill,

If I remember correctly, Garrison claimed that the box number 19106, could be decoded to reveal Jack Ruby's unlisted Dallas telephone number. Odum was quoted as saying, "That is the silliest thing I have ever heard of."

Odum made the following claims; that he met Shaw in New Orleans in November of 1966 and had lunch at Pat O'Brien's. They discussed putting on a bullfight. They were together about 1 hour and there was no contact with Shaw before or after that. He claimed he gave Shaw his box number and Shaw gave him his business card but no further contact was made.

Odum said he met Shaw through Andy Anderson, who was the manager of the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans.

Odum also claimed he had no idea why the box number was in Oswald's notebook and that he did not know the man named by the Warren Commission as Kennedy's assassin.

FWIW.

James

Bill,

If I remember correctly, Garrison claimed that the box number 19106, could be decoded to reveal Jack Ruby's unlisted Dallas telephone number. Odum was quoted as saying, "That is the silliest thing I have ever heard of."

Odum made the following claims; that he met Shaw in New Orleans in November of 1966 and had lunch at Pat O'Brien's. They discussed putting on a bullfight. They were together about 1 hour and there was no contact with Shaw before or after that. He claimed he gave Shaw his box number and Shaw gave him his business card but no further contact was made.

Odum said he met Shaw through Andy Anderson, who was the manager of the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans.

Odum also claimed he had no idea why the box number was in Oswald's notebook and that he did not know the man named by the Warren Commission as Kennedy's assassin.

FWIW.

James

In the City of Dallas JFK Collection, [http://www.jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/ ]there are a few articles from the time that reference the [something of an ongoing] story, it would be a matter of speculation, on my part but I have never seen anything to give credence to Jim's views on this, and I am not a Garrison detractor, by any means. However I would love to be proved wrong. Even Lee Odum in newspaper articles, seemed more than glad to assist Jim. FWIW.

In the City of Dallas JFK Collection, [http://www.jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/ ]there are a few articles from the time that reference the [something of an ongoing] story, it would be a matter of speculation, on my part but I have never seen anything to give credence to Jim's views on this, and I am not a Garrison detractor, by any means. However I would love to be proved wrong. Even Lee Odum in newspaper articles, seemed more than glad to assist Jim. FWIW.

Yes I'm not sure he was correct on this. According to a publication by Anthony Frewin, in Lee Harvey Oswald's address book was also written the number 19106 but it was preceded by some Cyrillic characters which led Garrison to believe it could be some kind of code, possibly standing for 'P.O. Box' but there is no evidence to substantiate this theory.

Also, in 1963 Dallas had not yet acquired a post office box number that high, so Oswald could not have had a post office box with that number.

It seems to me though that it is a suspicious coincidence to have exactly the same number written in Oswald's book too, but without knowing the significance of the Cyrillic characters, it's impossible to tell exactly what this entry means,

I'm not so sure though I believe this 'Lee Odom' that Shaw's lawyers managed to convienantly produce.

According to Richard Billings journal, Garrison's office later received a tip via telephone from an anonymous man in Dallas, who claimed that he received ten letters, all from the Junior Chamber of Commerce, each bearing the return address of P.O. Box 19106. The man said he had received these letters during the period when 'Lee Odom' was the alleged holder of the post office box.

Still to figure out what it all means!

Yes I'm not sure he was correct on this. According to a publication by Anthony Frewin, in Lee Harvey Oswald's address book was also written the number 19106 but it was preceded by some Cyrillic characters which led Garrison to believe it could be some kind of code, possibly standing for 'P.O. Box' but there is no evidence to substantiate this theory.

Also, in 1963 Dallas had not yet acquired a post office box number that high, so Oswald could not have had a post office box with that number.

It seems to me though that it is a suspicious coincidence to have exactly the same number written in Oswald's book too, but without knowing the significance of the Cyrillic characters, it's impossible to tell exactly what this entry means,

I'm not so sure though I believe this 'Lee Odom' that Shaw's lawyers managed to convienantly produce.

According to Richard Billings journal, Garrison's office later received a tip via telephone from an anonymous man in Dallas, who claimed that he received ten letters, all from the Junior Chamber of Commerce, each bearing the return address of P.O. Box 19106. The man said he had received these letters during the period when 'Lee Odom' was the alleged holder of the post office box.

Still to figure out what it all means!

I am glad that you posted this Francesca; as with many items on this subject things are not alway's as simple as they appear. I definitely did not intend to discount the story.

I am glad that you posted this Francesca; as with many items on this subject things are not alway's as simple as they appear. I definitely did not intend to discount the story.

Yes, it's a strange story - I was wondering if this Lee Odom could be something to do with the John Odom who was in the CAP with Oswald. Pure speculation, because of the same surname but I can't seem to find out much more about John Odom to try and prove or disprove the theory.

I just have a tendency not to trust any witness or 'evidence' produced by Shaw's defense team in light of the tactics they used to help Shaw during the trial.

oswalds address book : WH16_CE_18.pdf

oswalds address book : WH16_CE_18.pdf

Interesting image to say the least.

I did find some material about PO Box 19106 and Lee Odom.

"We know on our own information, and later, my check with Holland McCombs, that Oswald is known to have had two post office boxes listed under his name, or names recognized as his affiliations while in Dallas. The first of these, Box 2915, was rented from the main Post Office from Oct. 9, 1962, until May 14, 1963. The second, Box 6225 in the Terminal Annex Post Office, was the one rented from Nov. 1, 1963, until Oswald's death. It was in this box that he received correspondence with the Russian Embassy in Washington under the name of Lee Harvey Oswald.

Discussing the boxes again with Garrison, he suggested that if there was no such box as 19106 in 1963, which there was not, then it must have been some kind of code, and he [is] now proceeding to decipher the possibility of a code. He also suggests the possibility that the box could have been a CIA front; it could have been a box used temporarily by the CIA -- but nevertheless, Garrison does suspect that involvement."

from 'Richard Billing's New Orleans Journal.'

http://www.jfk-onlin.../billings5.html

SUBJECT

CRIMINAL INTELLIGENCE

PO BOX 19106

Dear Sir:

Recent newspaper articles regarding DISTRICT ATTORNEY GARRISON

of NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, have revealed that SUBJECT was the P.O. BOX

used by LEE OSWALD under the name of LEE ODOM while he was in Dallas.

Information has been received that SUBJECT has the following listings.

Original listing of the box was on 1 July 1965 and was ended on 14, July 1966

and was in the name of ADOBE ASSOCIATES.

The renters for this box were ARNOLD CAVAZOS, 621 HEMBRICK

STREET and C.J. CZAJKOWSKI 2965 SILVERTOWN STREET in the name of Lee Odom

The second listing of SUBJECT was started on 21 July 1966 closed on 11 January 1967

and was in the name of L &R Barbeque with two addresses of 2612 DOUGLAS STREET.

and 4040 CEDAR SPRINGS in the name of Lee Odom.

2612 DOUGLAS STREET is an apartment house and 4040 CEDAR SPRINGS is the

STOP N’GO GROCERY.

The third and final listing of SUBJECT was started on 1 MARCH 1967 is still open

and is rented to TEL-TEK Electronics, a sales organization for RECORD O Phones.

This box is in the name of HARRY WILKIN, 3314 MOTOR STREET and was

rented by ANNA L. HERRING, secretary of this company.

Rerspectfully Submitted

W.S. Biggio

Detective

Criminal Intelligence Section

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box18.htm

The Dallas Morning News ran a story regarding

Garrison, Shaw and Lee Odom

on 5-19-1967 Odom Calls Theory of Garrison Silly

After all these years the whole issue

of a secret code was an embarrassment

to Garrison, who never went anywhere

with his charge....Although a CIA

document did respond to the allegation

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=10094&relPageId=52

In retrospect, about the only noteworthy

item, I was able to determine was

that the 31-year old Odom stated he had met Shaw

through an "Andy Anderson, the manager of the Roosevelt

Hotel in New Orleans."

What made that noteworthy?

ANDERSON, HUGH H. "ANDY"

Sources: WC 14 (604); WC 22 (502); WC 26 (550); CD 105, p. 31;

CD 4, p. 482; CD 1149 (3); JFK Collection List, pg. 50 (AMKW 88)

Mary's Comments: Manager, Adolphus Hotel, 1957 until 1964, where Breck Wall

and Joe Peterson produced musical "Bottoms Up."

George Senator patronized Burgundy Room and King's Club, both in Adolphus.

Anderson had pass #136 to Carousel Club.

Transferred to New Orleans' Roosevelt Hotel in 1964; returned to Adolphus in

1977 and stayed until 1979.

Died Fri., 9/26/80, at his home in Lewisville, TX.

[Tel-Tek Electronics phone number was LA8-2352]

DMN Classifieds page 9; June 6,1965

Robert: there are at least 2 documents with A.F. CZAJKOWSKI in the to/from field

104-10244-10164 and 104-10070-10265

AGENCY : CIA

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10244-10164

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TO : CZAJKOWSKI

TITLE : CABLE: CASE 40,556 (CLOSED) - - CLEMARD CHARLES OF

HAITI AND GEORGES DE MOHRENSHILDT

DATE : 11/24/1964

PAGES : 2

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : DEMOHRENSCHILDT

CLASSIFICATION : SECRET

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 06/03/1998

COMMENTS : JFK64-5 : F15 : 1998.06.03.13:32:49:483128 :

Changing gears a little.........

This is a very brief segment of one of the documents, just to illustrate the Cziakowski name.

BTW If the person Dorothe Matlack is referencing is not George DeMohrenschildt, I would be very surprised

ON 29 APRIL 1963 DOROTHE MATLACK TELEPHONED TO THE EFFECT THAT..

she was of the opinion that continue the U S government should continue to play ball with [redacted] as a future asset in Haitian affairs.

Signed A F CZAJKOWSKI

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=61911&relPageId=5

Deceased Name: Albin F. Czajkowski , 86; was Lieutenant Colonel

Albin F. Czajkowski, 86, of this city, who rose to Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, died Oct. 5 in Arlington, Va., where he had lived for the past 53 years.

Born in Easthampton, he graduated from Easthampton High School. After graduating, he helped his parents manage their store until 1935, when he enlisted in the 3rd U.S. Cavalry regiment stationed at Ft. Ethan Allen, Vt.

Upon completing a three-year tour of duty in June, 1938, he moved to Washington, D.C., where he worked at the U.S. Government Printing Office while attending Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. He graduated from that university in 1948, after interrupting his education to serve in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for the duration of World War II.

During the war, he served as an engineer supply officer in England and Continental Europe, taking part in the campaigns of Northern France, Central Europe and the Rhineland and rising to the rank of captain. For his service, he earned the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars, the American Campaign Medal and the Army Occupation Medal for service in Germany.

After the war, he transferred to the Army Reserves and continued to work with the Corps of Engineers in various capacities at the Pentagon and Ft. Belvoir in Alexandria, Va. He retired as Lieutenant Colonel in 1974.

In retirement, he managed the Officers' Service Club, a private social club in Washington, D.C. He was a volunteer mentor to young people, particularly recent immigrants.

He leaves his sister, Bertha C. Zahn of Arlington, Va.; two nephews, Donald Cykowski of Easthampton and Stephen Cykowski of Richmond, Va.; three nieces, Elizabeth Zahn Muchnick of Arlington, Va., Marilyn Zahn Cheek, of Warrenton, Va., and Ellen Cykowski Sortore of Roanoke, Va.

The interment with full military honors will take place Thursday in Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va. Northern Virginia Funeral Services, Chantilly, is in charge.

END

Personally, I believe the odds are pretty good Albin F. Cziakowski, was

more than likely the government official to pen the two documents listed

at NARA, which have both been declassified.

And if there was ever a time to settle the issue of the "code," or

perhaps more importantly, whether

Lee Odom was anything more than a passing figure in post-assassination

history, there probably would not be a better time.

Edited by Robert Howard

• 6 years later...

Given that his wife Mary Francis Odom had foreknowledge of the assassination, Lee Odom certainly seems like more than a passing figure.

"They are going to do something terrible to the president when he comes to Dallas today." Mary Francis Odom, speaking to Patrolman Mc Millan in Ardmore, Oklahoma between 1:30am and 2:00am on Nov. 22, 1963

http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/po-arm/id/23556/rec/33

-Chris

Given that his wife Mary Francis Odom had foreknowledge of the assassination, Lee Odom certainly seems like more than a passing figure.

"They are going to do something terrible to the president when he comes to Dallas today." Mary Francis Odom, speaking to Patrolman Mc Millan in Ardmore, Oklahoma between 1:30am and 2:00am on Nov. 22, 1963

http://digitalcollec...id/23556/rec/33

-Chris

Chris, the Mary Frances Odom in that report was not the wife of Lee Odom. At least that's what I got from reading it.

It's on the last page of that folder you linked to.

http://digitalcollec...id/23556/rec/33

-Chris

Chris, the Mary Frances Odom in that report was not the wife of Lee Odom. At least that's what I got from reading it.

It's on the last page of that folder you linked to.

Yea, but its an interesting story.

Oswald did attend a bullfight in Mexico City and reportedly mingled with the American bullfighter at the Luna Hotel.

Mary Francis Odum did express foreknowledge of the assassination and her story seems similar to a number of other women, ala Rose Cheramine.

And Bob Sirkin, the TV reporter is the same guy who accompanied Bill O'Rielly when he attempted to interview DeMohrenschildt.

See; Comments - JFKcountercoup: Gaeton Fonzi RIP also at:

JFKCountercoup2: Bob Sirkin and Bill O"Reilly and George deMohrenschildt

BK

Apparently Mary Francis Odum married Harry Frazer. Both have passed.

Here's an interesting list from Hood College Library. Can anyone identify what this list is because Lee Odom and Mary Francis are next to each other.

Is it an index to one of Harold's books?

Odom, Lee, P.O. Box, Dallas, TX 1/76 89-43-9752, p. 8

Odom, Mary Frances, 211 West French Place, San Antonio, TX 1/76 89-43-9753, p. 2

Cherbourg Square Apt., 7834 Broadway,

San Antonio, TX, WF 4/8/17, Pearsall, TX,

SOC 462-14-4707

Odom, Mary Francis, 211 West French Place, San Antonio, TX 1/7689-43-9752, p. 3

2/76 89-43-9758

O'Doherty, Frances,
Omaga
Ireland
1/64 100-10461-313, p. 6

O'Doherty, Gene 11/63 89-43-684

89-43-2734, p. 247

O'Doherty, John, Deceased 1/64 100-10461-313, p. 6

O'Doherty, John K., River Forrest,
Chicago
IL
1/64 100-10461-313, p. 6

O'Doherty, Katherline, Deceased 1/64 100-10461-313, p. 6

O'Doherty, Vincent 11/63 89-43-2481

O'Doherty, Vincent J. 11/63 89-43-862

O'Doherty, Vincent Joseph, DOB:
5/19/18
, 11/63 89-43-603, p. 3

POB:
Lifford
Ireland
, 5'11", 150 lbs 89-43-862

89-43-2734

12/63 100-10461-1074, p. 1...............................
Edited by William Kelly