The Education Forum

The CIA Watergate Bait-and-Switch—19 June 1972

Ashton Gray

PART II: The CIA Watergate Bait-and-Switch—19 June 1972

It is Monday morning in Washington, D.C., 19 June 1972. The town is buzzing with news of the "break-in" at Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate.

The Washington Post opens its coverage that Monday with the following two paragraphs:

• One of the five men arrested early Saturday in the attempt to bug the Democratic National Committee headquarters is the salaried security coordinator for President Nixon's reelection committee.
    The suspect, former CIA employee James W. McCord Jr., 53, also holds a separate contract to provide security services to the Republican National Committee, GOP national chairman Bob Dole said yesterday.

The CIA, through mouthpieces Ben Bradlee and Bob Woodward at the Post, have set "the fork." The investigation, and public interest, can only go one of two ways: CIA or White House. It won't go both. For a time it will be allowed to seem to hover between the two, then to drift toward CIA. But at the crucial moment, the trap will be sprung, the bait-and-switch will be made in one stunning day, and only one signpost will be left reading: "White House."

Notice that there still is no mention of E. Howard Hunt in the Post's coverage, even though Woodward has known about the connection to Hunt for two days, and even had notified Hunt on Saturday morning (in Part I of this series of articles). They are building suspense for the Hunt revelation, saying only:

• Police sources said last night that they were seeking a sixth man in connection with the attempted bugging. The sources would give no other details.

Of course this is a bare-faced lie by Bradlee and Woodward. They know damned well that the "sixth man" is E. Howard Hunt. They also omit any further mention in their Monday story about the serialized $100 bills. That had already been planted in their first story the day before, on Sunday. Most of the entire frame-up of the White House is already in place.

We are about ready to attempt to go sequentially through the day of Monday, 19 June 1972. The word "attempt" is used advisedly, because given the number of explosive head-on collisions in the testimony, the task has been made, very literally, impossible. I don't mean "difficult." I mean impossible.

It has not been made impossible by some whim of God or freakish act of Nature. It has been made impossible by careful design of man. So convoluted and destructive are the methods used that I've written a separate article to deal with them: CIA Psy-Ops of Watergate and Beyond. If you continue this effort below without reading those caveats, abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

And so we embark on a journey through one day that is wilder than any amusement park ride ever conceived or built, and I am compelled to give you one last dire warning: you may not be able to get through this article at all, at least without several attempts. It can work as a soporific and make you extremely drowsy. It can make you physically uncomfortable. It can make you feel dizzy and disoriented. Although some may rightly or wrongly attribute such phenomena to my writing, such discomforts are the job of the psy-ops techniques described in the article linked to above, and no writer can avoid them. The very measure of their treachery is that it is impossible to discuss "Watergate" at all without becoming, however unwillingly, a party to them.

You have been warned:

• Monday, 19 June 1972
  • Although the Watergate arrests have taken place over 48 hours earlier, Acting head of the FBI, L. Patrick Gray, for reasons unknown, is in Palm Springs, California. Attorney General Richard Kleindienst purportedly calls Gray at 7:32 a.m., telling Gray—in Palm Springs—that he, Kleindienst, "wants to be briefed on the break-in." [NOTE: As strange as this seems, it gets even stranger later regarding the whereabouts of L. Patrick Gray.]
  • E. Howard Hunt's account: "On Monday morning, nineteenth, I drove to Washington, went into the Executive Office Building [at the White House] and visited my office. As far as I could see, it had not been entered since my last visit. The safe was still in place, and the few papers on my desk were undisturbed. The morning newspaper had carried my name prominently."
  • Meanwhile, at Langley, CIA Director Richard Helms is arriving for work. Here's his account from sworn testimony: "On Monday, when I came to the office, there'd been no mention in the papers of Mr. Hunt. So I got ahold of Mr. Osborn [CIA Security Director] and said, 'How come you told me that Mr. Hunt was involved with this?' And he said, 'Well, there were some papers found in the hotel room, or one of the hotel rooms, with Hunt's name on it, and it looks as though he was somewhere in the area when the break-in took place.' So I said, 'All right.'" [NOTE: See How Helms Supposedly Learned About the "Break-In" for Helms's absurd self-contradicting accounts.]
  • Meanwhile, back at Hunt's White House office, still early hours of the business morning, Hunt "goes through the contents" of the safe. He then simply closes it back up, and goes downstairs to find Charles "Chuck" Colson, who conveniently is not in his office, though Colson's secretary, Joan Hall, is. Hunt purportedly says to her: "There's one thing I want to tell you, and you can pass it along to Chuck. That safe of mine upstairs is loaded." To which Joan Hall purportedly responds: "I sort of thought it might be."

While loathe to insult anyone's intelligence, I, personally, have yet to see any clear statement of the following observations of the obvious made in any of the tonnage of literature surrounding Watergate:

First, note the obvious contradictions about the newspaper(s) carrying Hunt's name.

Second, Hunt has just given Colson plausible deniability for anything that follows in relationship to the safe, even though Colson's own secretary, Joan Hall, has had the combination to Hunt's safe for almost a year—since 7 July 1971—which Colson has known. The Secret Service also has the combination, having set it as a custom combination the day Hunt was "hired" by Colson, a fact that later in the day will weave itself into more manufactured fiction.

Furthermore, there has not been and is not anything preventing E. Howard Hunt from calling Colson and telling him directly about the contents of the safe (most of which Colson purportedly already knows, anyway). For a frame-up of the White House, though, Hunt has to give this crucial, pivotal message only to Colson's secretary and not to Colson himself. This allows Colson to play a completely asinine and obviously phony (but obviously complicit) role during the rest of the day.

It also must be noted that this is Hunt's gratuitous salt in the thousand razor cuts he already has inflicted: a second trip back to his safe after originally having planted the electronics "evidence," this time only to look over its contents and close it back up. This is Hunt's third trip to the White House safe in just a little over 48 hours. There are shredders everywhere. There are burn bags everywhere. The deadly purported (though non-existent) "fabricated Diem cables"—which supposedly have been collecting dust for eight months in Hunt's safe—could be completely eradicated from existence in less than a minute (if they ever had existed at all), and with no effort. But Hunt doesn't bother. Why? First, obviously, because they don't exist. In the scripted fiction of this CIA black op, though, they exist. And this overlay of fiction on the real world has to be left there "in the safe" in order to frame the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces during time of war with the knowing collusion of John Dean and L. Patrick Gray. There is no other conceivable or manufacturable reason for Hunt's actions in this staged play. It is sheer sadism.

Continuing with the events of the same day, the sequence of events for the rest of Monday, 19 June 1972 is of paramount importance, but the sequence is impossible to reconcile because of the gross contradictions contained in the various accounts, as soon will be seen.

• Monday, 19 June 1972 (Continued)
  • E. Howard Hunt leaves his safe "loaded," and crosses the street to his Mullen office. According to Hunt, Robert "Bob" Bennett comes in a short time later, commenting that "the papers seemed to be full of" Hunt's name. According to Bennett's testimony, this is "9:00, 9:15" in the morning.
  • Sometime "in the morning or early afternoon," John Ehrlichman tells John Dean to look into the question of White House involvement in the break-in at the DNC and to determine Howard Hunt's White House employment status. Dean supposedly goes and speaks to Charles Colson regarding Colson's knowledge of the break-in and Hunt's status. Colson denies any knowledge of the event, but expresses "concern over the contents of Hunt's safe." [NOTE: This vague "concern" implies all sorts of possibilities, which is the only thing it is supposed to do.] Dean then purportedly speaks to Liddy.
  • According to Liddy, "about 11:00 a.m." he gets a message to call John Dean, who wants to see Liddy in Dean's office. Liddy goes to the White House Executive Office Building (EOB) and finds Dean waiting in the hall outside Dean's office. Dean says, "Let's go for a walk." They cross 17th Street and go into a park, where Liddy purportedly tells Dean about the break-in of Ellsberg's psychiatrist's office, and purportedly advises Dean to try to get hold of the FBI's FD-302 forms and "Airtels" (a type of FBI report) on the investigation. Purportedly, only on hearing of the Ellsberg psychiatrist office op does Dean decide on the spot to tell Liddy to tell Hunt to leave the country. They part, and Dean returns to the White House. Liddy returns to his own office at CREEP HQ to contact Hunt.
  • John Dean purportedly speaks to unidentified "law enforcement officials," then reports to John Ehrlicman that "the matter went beyond the five persons who were apprehended, that Liddy was involved, and that there was a further direct involvement of the CRP."

Although it may not seem like it, we already are in separate time streams, which I have to take up in a moment.

First, though, for those familiar with Watergate, it will be immediately apparent—at least according to Liddy—that CIA has already injected every drop of the slow-acting, time-released deadly poison into the Presidency that will murder it. Hunt's safe is "loaded" and double-checked. Dean has been supplied by Liddy a "plausible reason" to negotiate secretly with L. Patrick Gray for the FBI investigation documents. Dean has been "told" about the Ellsberg psychiatrist op. And from Part I of this series, Alfred Baldwin has already planted more incriminating "evidence" against the White House at James McCord's home. Every element is in place that is needed to destroy the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces during wartime.

But the entire day requires an impossible number of irreconcilable "time streams," some of which we haven't yet encountered. I'm already forced to list them, though. They are:

1. E. Howard Hunt's time stream
  2. G. Gordon Liddy's time stream
  3. Robert Bennet's time stream
  4. John Dean's time stream
  5. The Judiciary Committee's time stream
  6. Charles Colson's time stream
  7. Bruce Kehrli's time stream
  8. Fred Fielding's time stream [Fielding is "former" NSA]

At this exact point we enter such a maelstrom of conflicting stories that reconciliation in terms of time and sequence is completely impossible.

Here are the disastrously contrary accounts:

• According to CIA's Robert Bennett, head of the Mullen CIA front company, he leaves for lunch at a time in the morning that can be no later than about 11:30 a.m. He purportedly is joined on the elevator by E. Howard Hunt, who says he is going to his oculist in Rockville, Maryland, to get his glasses.
  • According to CIA's E. Howard Hunt, he receives a phone call at his Mullen office from G. Gordon Liddy at "about 11:30," and Liddy tells him to leave the office and walk west on Pennsylvania Avenue, which he does.
  • According to G. Gordon Liddy, he calls Hunt "a little after noon" and finds Hunt in his Mullen office, and tells Hunt to "turn left (which is east) on the south side of Pennsylvania Avenue" and keep walking, which Hunt supposedly does.
  • According to CIA's Robert Bennett, he returns to the Mullen office from lunch "around noon," and two FBI agents are there wanting to see Hunt, but Hunt is not there. The FBI agents go away.
  • Meanwhile, somewhere in all this warped time, Hunt supposedly encounters Liddy standing on a street corner pretending to read a newspaper. They walk together. According to both their accounts, Liddy tells Hunt: "'They' want you to get out of town." Hunt says he'll get out of town, and he and Liddy part.
  • According to Hunt, he walks back to Mullen and goes to Bob Bennett's office just as Bennett is getting ready to leave for lunch. [Cue Twilight Zone music.] Purportedly, Hunt tells Bennett that he will be "leaving town for a little while," and Bennett just nods wordlessly. [somehow, Bennett must believe that Hunt has driven to Rockville, Maryland, seen his oculist, and driven back. But, no: that was told to Bennett on the elevator on his way out to lunch, and he hasn't left yet. No, that was— Never mind. Actually, Bennett is going to claim that Hunt came back to the offices "later in the afternoon," at a time when, according to Hunt, Hunt is on a plane to New York. But we haven't gotten there yet on any one of the time streams.]
  • Depending on whose time continuum you're trying to live in, it's either about 11:30 a.m. (Bennett leaving for lunch) or about 12:15 to 12:30 p.m. (Liddy time). Either way, Hunt leaves the Mullen office to go home and pack (according to Hunt) and doesn't come back that day.
  • According to Liddy, he gets a call from John Dean about 40-45 minutes after his meeting with Hunt on the street. (This would make it right around 1:00 p.m.—Liddy Time) Dean purportedly tells Liddy that Ehrlichman has said to cancel the message to Hunt to leave town. [Ehrlichman has sworn he never issued any such order in the first place.] Liddy claims that he immediately calls Mullen offices, but is told Hunt isn't there. So Liddy immediately calls Hunt's home—and Hunt is there!
  • According to Hunt, he is home packing a bag "half an hour" after telling Bennett that he (Hunt) is leaving town when the phone rings and it is Liddy. (No way to compute this on Hunt Time or Bennett Time.) In both accounts (Hunt's and Liddy's), Liddy purportedly tells Hunt that the order has been rescinded: Hunt doesn't have to leave town. Hunt decides he's going to New York anyway and tells Liddy.

If you've made it across that triple-curved time warp, let's pause, shall we, for a breath, and find a real clock to look at in order to get re-settled into real-world time. It's only going to get worse.

We're about to enter one or more critical White House meetings concerning Hunt and his White House status, but it is impossible to know the actual number of such meetings or who was in attendance because the testimony conflicts on this matter, too. (See section, "THE PLURAL/SINGULAR MIND SPINNER" in the article CIA Psy-Ops of Watergate and Beyond.)

Below is the account from the Judiciary Committee "Statement of Information," followed by a statement submitted by Charles Colson.

Be aware, when attempting to get through it, that the "call to" or "clandestine meeting with" Liddy (take your pick) supposedly already has taken place, but in either case, we at this point in "time" are given to understand that Dean has already sent out the message via Liddy for Hunt to blow town. The bad news is that according to the Judiciary Committee's version, Dean is just now about to call Liddy from a White House meeting to deliver that message, and it is now "during the afternoon." Strap in:

• At an unspecified time "during the afternoon," and "immediately before" a White House meeting involving John Dean and others concerning E. Howard Hunt's White House status, John Dean purportedly calls G. Gordon Liddy and tells him on the phone to advise Hunt that "they" want Hunt to "leave the country." [NOTE: According to Dean, this was on Ehrichman's instructions. According to Ehrlichman, he never issued any such instructions.]
  • At an unspecified time "during the afternoon" (supposedly immediately after John Dean's call to Liddy to tell Hunt to leave the country), John Ehrlichman, Charles Colson, John Dean, Bruce Kehrli (Staff Assistant to H. R. Haldeman), and Ken Clawson (White House Deputy Director of Communications) meet in Ehrlichman's office and discuss E. Howard Hunt's "White House employment status." Colson states that Hunt "should have been terminated as a White House consultant as of March 31, 1972." Bruce Kehrli is asked to bring Hunt's employment records to Ehrlichman's office. Kehrli fetches Hunt's employment records. The records do not indicate that Hunt's consultant status had been terminated. John Ehrlichman instructs that Howard Hunt's EOB safe should be opened in the presence of John Dean, Bruce Kehrli and a Secret Service Agent, and that Dean should take possession of the contents. Charles Colson says that this "should be done immediately."
  • Charles Colson's statement: "We learned—to my surprise—that Mr. Hunt still maintained a safe in an office in the Executive Office Building. I suggested to Dean that he take custody of the safe. I was certain in my own mind that there would be an investigation if the facts established that Hunt had had any connection with the Watergate break-in. It was my view that the White House counsel had a responsibility to secure the safe and any other evidence. Contrary to Mr. Dean' s testimony, I had had no communications from Hunt over that weekend; no one suggested that I remove anything from the safe. I never saw the safe, nor was I aware of the contents of the safe."

Have you been able to keep track of how many different time streams you've been required to travel in "simultaneously"?

Note that according to Liddy Time and Hunt Time, this meeting above had to have begun shortly after 11:30 a.m., after Dean got back from his purported clandestine meeting with Liddy. But Dean testifies under oath that he told Liddy the "get Hunt out of town" message in a phone call, and the Judiciary Committee's "Statement of Information" claims that the phone call from Dean was "immediately before" the meeting cited above—which is described as happening "during the afternoon."

Now we get treated to Bruce Kehrli's story:

• According to Bruce Kehrli's deposition, he is instructed by John Dean to go to Hunt's White House office "at about 2:00 o'clock" in the afternoon. He says he is just asked "to go the office and see if there were any materials or papers left and clean them out." Kehrli claims that this was "immediately after" his "discussions with Mr. Dean." Then Kehrli goes on to claim: "I checked to find only stationery and other things of that nature in the desk but found a safe in the office. I had put the stationery in a large box and had it removed to a room in EOB, Executive Office Building. I had the safe taken to that same area." Kehrli then claims that he checks "with the GSA representative and with the Secret Service representative to see if they had a combination for the safe," and is told they do not. So Kehrli purportedly asks them to open the safe and "to give me a call because John Dean had said he wanted to be there when the safe was opened." Kehrli leaves to wait for a call.

So Kehrli claims he just happened across a safe in E. Howard Hunt's office while he was there collecting stationery. Bruce Kehrli is a bare-faced xxxx. Supposedly on his own decision, Kehrli has White House General Services Administration (GSA) grunts move the safe out of Hunt's office to a GSA store room. As for the combination, Hunt has stated emphatically that the Secret Service set a custom combination on the safe the day he was "hired," which they had on record, with a copy having been given to Colson's secretary, Joan Hall.

So Kehrli's entire story only conflicts with everything ever recorded in the known universe about Hunt's safe. And now the safe has been moved to a store room and won't be heard from again for hours, so God only knows what was done to it, or even if, when it reappears, it is the same safe.

As for the fate of Ms. Hall, she must have been abducted by aliens right after Hunt purportedly told her early in the morning, "That safe of mine upstairs is loaded." She is never seen or heard from the entire day.

You may be ready to give up entirely right now—or throw up. Realize that this is simply the intended effect of the CIA mind poison.

It's about to get worse: Dean says that the purported phone call to Liddy to tell Hunt to get out of the country was made during a second meeting "later that afternoon" in Ehrlichman's office, with only Colson attending. I'm sorry to have sprung this "second meeting" on you like this, but there was no possible way to factor it into any of the events above.

May as well dive into John Dean's time stream now:

• John Dean's testimony: "Later that afternoon I attended a second meeting in Ehrlichman's office with Colson. I recall Ehrlichman asking where Hunt was. I said I had no idea and Colson made a similar statement. At that point— before the meeting had started, Ehrlichman instructed me to call Liddy to have him tell Hunt to get out of the country. I did this without even thinking. Shortly after I made the call, however, I realized that no one in the White House should give such an instruction and raised the matter. A brief discussion ensued between Ehrlichman and myself. As I recall, Ehrlichman said that he was not a fugitive from justice, so why not. I said that I did not think it was very wise. At this point, Colson chimed in that he also thought it unwise and Ehrlichman agreed. I immediately called Liddy again to retract the request, but he informed me that he had already passed the message and it might be too late to retract. Following this brief telephone skirmish regarding Hunt's travel plans, the meeting turned to Hunt's status at the White House. ...Ehrlichman called Mr. Bruce Kehrli and requested that he bring Hunt's personnel records up to Ehrlichman's office. Before Kehrli arrived, Colson raised the matter of Hunt's safe. Colson, without getting specific, said it was imperative that someone get the contents of Hunt's safe. Colson suggested, and Ehrlichman concurred, that I take custody of the contents of the safe."

So this isn't the "big meeting" at all: this is a purported "small meeting" with only Dean, Ehrlichman, and Colson. Cozy.

Dean says that Kehrli was not at any meeting at all where Kehrli fetched Hunt's records, but was called by Ehrlichman to fetch them. The rest of the idiotic contradictions, I have to let you try to untangle by yourself, because there are miles to go on this impossible day before anybody sleeps.

In fact, right now we have to leap out of John Dean's time stream into first E. Howard Hunt's, then into Robert Bennett's, because now it's that "time" of the afternoon in one or more of these time streams:

• According to E. Howard Hunt, in "midafternoon" his children return to the house (presumably from school) and Hunt asks them to drive him to the airport, which they do. Hunt gets the "last seat on the New York-bound flight."
  • According to Robert Bennett, Hunt comes back into the office sometime later in the afternoon (at a time that only can be before 3:30 or 4:00, Bennett Time, presumably "returning from the oculist"), and Bennett tells Hunt that FBI agents have been there looking for him. (Hunt, in all of his accounts and testimony, says nothing about this, ever, anywhere.) Hunt then leaves Mullen, according to Bennett, saying he's going home to pack and leaving town, and doesn't come back.
  • And here's even more Bennett—if, like me, you just can't get enough—trying to synchronize his lies with the others about Liddy trying to tell Hunt he doesn't have to leave the country: Bennett claims that Liddy calls the Mullen offices "late in the afternoon" around "3:30 or 4:00 o'clock" looking for Hunt, and Bennett tells Liddy that Hunt has gone home to pack and leave town. Liddy purportedly tells Bennett to contact Hunt and "tell him that the signals have changed and he's to stay put." According to Bennett, he calls Hunt at home and delivers the message, and Hunt says to Bennett, "I wish they'd make up their minds."

I sure wish somebody would.

It might be a good time to take the dog for a walk right about here, or hug your children or a loved one, and experience real life in any way you can as an antidote for this CIA mind poison. There is a real universe around you, actual time, actual mass and energy—not just this phony, impossible CIA-created universe.

When you're ready and able, we're about to cut to the chase and get right to the Magical Grand Opening of Hunt's safe, and there are even more thrills ahead.

Who do you think might be involved in this religious event that will turn out, ultimately, to be a bloodless coup, overthrowing the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States?

Whatever you think you know, it's probably wrong. There are only two lowly characters written into this CIA-scripted scene, and a couple of faceless extras. Who are these characters?

Well, let's call them the Rosiepantz and Gushiestern of Watergate: Bruce (yes, Bruce) Kehrli and Fred Fielding, "formerly" with NSA. And here, literally "at the end of the day," they are left alone on the stage to play out this little drama. That's right: John Dean has left the building. Charles Colson has left the building. All the stars are gone. Maybe they were abducted by the same aliens that took Colson's secretery Joan Hall. Nobody says. Nobody asks. Just Rosiepantz and Gushiestern are left alone on the stage to play the scene.

And that's how I'm going to present this next-to-last scene on the unforgettable day of 19 June 1972: as a script composed entirely of excerpts of their deposition testimony and actual questions asked in the depositions. Why? Because I can. I've added some perfectly meaningless "filler" in italics. Why? Because I can.

The time, on some time stream, has to be around 5:30 in the evening, three hours after Mr. Kehrli had left GSA grunts toiling with Hunt's safe (or some safe) in a store room on the fifth floor of the EOB. The scene opens with a phone call to Mr. Kehrli, who, according to later revleations, already is at home when the phone rings:
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: I got a call, let's see at about— it was early evening, from one of the— I think it was the FBI agent. When the safe was opened they had a Secret Service agent there and the fellow actually opened the safe. They had people to protect themselves against any problems, things missing out of the safe.
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: I knew that Mr. Kehrli had come in from his home upon advice that the safe was open...
    DISEMBODIED QUESTIONER: Do you know who the Secret Service agent was?
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: Baker, as I remember. He called and said, "We have opened the safe. There is a gun in the safe. You better come up and take a look at it." So at that point I tried to reach Mr. Dean. I was unable to reach him and reached Mr. Fielding...
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: I was in my office working sometime around 7:00 o'clock. I got a phone call from Mr. Kehrli, who was trying to reach Mr. Dean. Mr. Dean was not in the office at the time. I tried to reach him and couldn't. Mr. Kehrli advised me that they had Mr. Hunt's safe in this room, 522, and it had been drilled and that Mr. Dean had asked that he be present when the safe was opened. I then tried to find Mr. Dean and could not, and I knew that Mr. Kehrli had come in from his home upon advice that the safe was open, so I said, "Well, if Mr. Dean wants somebody to be up there, I'll come up there." That's how I ended up in Room 522.
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: Well! He didn't ask for your diary!
    DISEMBODIED QUESTIONER: [To Fred Fielding] Approximately what time was this?
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: I would say it was approximately 7:30. 7:30 to 8:00 o'clock in the evening.
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: Mr. Fielding and we went up. We both arrived. It took me a couple of hours to track down Fielding and we went up there I think around 7:30 or 8:00 o'clock. At that point—
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: When I arrived there, Mr. Bruce Kehrli, who was at that time a staff secretary at the White House office, was present. A GSA rerresentative, I believe, was in the hallway and, to the best of my recollection, there was a Secret Service agent present. There was a safe in that room which had just been drilled by a team of people from one of the safe companies.
    DISEMBODIED QUESTIONER: [To Kehrli] Were you there before he [Mr. Fielding] was?
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: No.
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: You bitch! I just said you were!
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: Well, why did you leave out the FBI agent, you bimbo? You know we're supposed to say "FBI agent" and you just have to—
    DISEMBODIED QUESTIONER: You got there at the same time?
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: Approximately the same time. I think we may have seen each other coming down the hall toward the safe. I don't really remember at this point but it was approximately the same time—
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: Oh. My. God!
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: From there the GSA or the fellow who opened the safe and the Secret Service agent left. We took the material out of the safe, put it in a couple of boxes that we had there, called GSA people to come up and take it from there to my office because that was the most secure area there.
    NSA'S FRED "GUSHIESTERN" FIELDING: Can't you keep anything straight?
    BRUCE "ROSIEPANTZ" KEHRLI: Straight! Look who's talking about "straight"! You weren't complaining about "straight"...

And as the curtain descends, the contents of Hunt's safe have been neatly tucked away in cardboard boxes and stored in Bruce "Rosiepantz" Kehrli's office to await the morning of Tuesday, 20 June 1972, and the pawing through by John Dean, Rosiepantz, and Gushiestern.

If only we could leave the day with this comic relief. But the curtain-ringer on this day is a much darker scene. It is one of the most bizarre and disturbing events surrounding Watergate—which is quite a mouthful—but it also is one of the most obscure. Even (or especially) the date of the event has been next to impossible to confirm—likely for very good reason—including two apparently phony dates in the Woodstein book. Finally, though, after cross-referencing every account available, the date was narrowed down to this most astounding day of days, Monday, 19 June 1972, by confirmation that on the following day—Tuesday, 20 June 1972—L. Patrick Gray is back in D.C. after his "trip to the West Coast."

So as the curtain rises for this last macabre scene, it is nighttime. The location is a motel at 1107 Jamboree Road in Newport Beach, California, variously referred to in differing accounts as the "Hyatt Newporter Hotel" and the "Newporter Inn."

The scene is through a scrim darkly. There are two motel rooms. one occupied by Acting Director of FBI, L. Patrick Gray—the man who recently has halted any further investigation of the shooting of presidential candidate George Wallace. The other is occupied by Martha Mitchell, wife of the former Attorney General John Mitchell, who is now head of the Committee to Re-Elect the President (CREP or CREEP). The curtain is raised:

Martha Mitchell is on a phone in the motel room to a UPI reporter: "I'm sick and tired of politics!" she is saying. "I gave John an ultimatum I would leave him if he didn't get out. I am a political prisoner! Politics is nothing but a cops and robbers game. I know dirty things. I saw dirty things. I am not going to stand for all those dirty tricks that go on! I am sick and tired of the whole operation—" Five men burst into the room, indistinct figures. One of them is the new "head of security" for CREEP, Steve King, replacing CIA's James McCord, who is in jail. King rips the phone cord from the wall, and Martha Mitchell is thrown down and held down on the bed while a "doctor" gives her an injection.

As her struggles end, the curtain slowly descends on Monday, 19 June 1972.

AFTERWORD ON MARTHA MITCHELL: The event is covered up, and by the time it breaks in the press, days later, it is diffused with vague and, apparently, even incorrect dates. Martha Mitchell essentially disappears for a period, to resurface after over a week at the Westchester Country Club in Westchester, New York. The Westchester Country Club is situated very close to a psychiatric clinic with CIA connections. She will show a bandaged hand and bruises and describe the motel incident, only to disappear again for quite some time. When she "returns" to the public eye, John Mitchell will have resigned, Martha Mitchell will have a $2 million dollar book deal, and she never wavers again from the "official story" of Watergate.

If you made it through just this first business day after the "arrests' at the Watergate, you are of special mettle.

That mettle hasn't even been tested yet, though. This is only the beginning of the CIA Watergate bait-and-switch.

There is much more to come. But to recap this day, and the first two articles in the series:

1. E. Howard Hunt has planted electronic "evidence" in his White House safe, checked it, and double checked it to make sure it's "loaded" for the CIA framing of the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war.
  2. E. Howard Hunt purportedly also has in his safe fabricated "Diem cables" to further frame the White House. They are "fabricated" all right: their very existence is pure fiction and nothing but. The fiction, though, will be made part of the lies of both John Dean and Acting FBI Director L. Patrick Gray as they set up CIA's bait-and-switch.
  3. E. Howard Hunt has told Charles Colson's secretary, Joan Hall, that his safe is "loaded." She acknowledges this, and apparently then evaporates into thin air.
  4. Alfred Baldwin has driven a van containing even more electronics equipment and planted that "evidence" at the home of James McCord, chief of security for the Committee to Re-Elect the President—who is in jail and has already identified himself as "former" CIA.
  5. CIA mouthpieces Ben Bradlee and Bob Woodward of the Washington Post have set up the CIA-White House split on Watergate with James McCord, and planted tantalizing clues about a "sixth man," who they know to be "former" CIA agent E. Howard Hunt. They also have laid all the foundation for the coming CIA bait-and-switch with reference to certain $100 bills found on the arrested men.
  6. Charles Colson has planted tantalizing but vague clues with "concerns" about the contents of Hunt's safe—suggesting Joan Hall might have sent him a message from beyond, and might not have—while also claiming to have been completely surprised to learn that Hunt has a safe at all at the White House, and to be absolutely not "aware of the contents of the safe."
  7. E. Howard Hunt has left Washington, D.C. for New York.
  8. Liddy has spent the weekend shredding everything he can find.
  9. CIA sweetheart Robert Bennett has done the worst job of telling CIA lies for them probably in history. And that is an accomplishment.
  10. Hunt's safe (or some safe) has been moved to a store room on the fifth floor of the EOB and dramtically drilled open—something that was completely unnecessary (even with Joan Hall's unexplained disappearance), since Secret Service had the combination. But it was required in the CIA script for making sensationalistic news copy to help frame the White House, and also gave John Dean and Charles Colson plenty of time to make themselves invisible.
  11. After the entire day had been spent largely discussing the importance of E. Howard Hunt and his safe, John Dean and Charles Colson have managed to disappear just at the right time, so the opening of the safe can be attended by two lying twits, Bruce Kehrli and NSA's Fred Fielding.
  12. Although the contents of Hunt's safe reportedly have been seen by safe drillers, at least one GSA staff person, a Secret Service agent, an anonymous FBI agent, and by both Kehrli and NSA's Fielding, not even one of these people will ever testify to having seen a single "forged cable."
  13. Martha Mitchell has been silenced and relegated to CIA psychiatric "care."
    So here on just the first business day after the arrests, every single element of the CIA assault on the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces is already in place. All the props are there. All personnel are in position.

All that's left is for the drama to be dragged out, and, in the process, for John Dean and L. Patrick Gray to perform the stunning bait-and-switch for the CIA that will take all attention off of the CIA and will overthrow the duly elected President of the United States of America. It won't just destroy a single President, though: it will forever weaken and compromise the Office of the President and will put CIA in the greatest position of control in its history with a top-secret program that it will run in complete darkness, behind the Presidency, behind every military campaign of the United States, for over twenty years.

To be continued in the next article:

PART III: The CIA Watergate Bait-And-Switch—20-25 June 1972

Ashton Gray

Edited by Ashton Gray

I have updated the lead article in this topic to add an event that has presented an enormously difficult task in attempting to place it correctly in time. This is bizarre in itself, since the event attracted a good deal of attention around the time it happened, if only briefly.

The event is the forcible silencing of Martha Mitchell, which Mae Brussell called a kidnapping.

There are a number of associates and acquaintances who have struggled with the correct date of this event as much as I, and only after I posted the original article did one of these other researchers send me what I believe to be a compelling "date isolater" taken from the Congressional testimony of L. Patrick Gray.

By all accounts, Gray was staying at the same motel in Newport Beach, California as was Martha Mitchell on the night the phone was ripped from the wall while Martha Mitchell was on the phone with a UPI reporter, who some reports have claimed to have been Helen Thomas—although that is in some question.

The way the Martha Mitchell incident date has been isolated arose, strangely enough, from L. Patrick Gray's own Congressional testimony, where there is yet another briefly disputed date: the date on which Gray receives a pivotal phone call informing him that John Dean is in charge of the Watergate investigation for the White House. Gray testifies that this occurred on Wednesday, 21 June 1972, but his date is wrong; the questioner, Senator Montoya, says: "I have it from your phone logs that it was the 20th." Gray doesn't (can't) argue the point, and says that he is certain that the phone call about John Dean being in charge of the investigation at the White House came on "the very first day that I was back from my trip to the West coast."

Therefore the Martha Mitchell event had to have been no later than the night of 19 June 1972.

It should come, then, as no surprise at all to those following this series, and understanding the connections, that the Woodward-Bernstein fiction novel, All the President's Men, gives a completely false date for this event as being June 22, 1972.

There it had sat—although it made no sense there—in all subsequent research until what I consider to have been a brilliant piece of research detective work that I've been fortunate enough to have had shared with me.

Therefore, until or unless some even more compelling piece of evidence comes along, I feel that this disquieting event has been properly located in time, and has its own relevance to what CIA had to keep covered up. It also has very important relevance to affirmation of L. Patrick Gray's knowing collusion in silencing Martha Mitchell in order to hide CIA covert activities in Watergate. Martha Mitchell was just one more casualty in the CIA's premeditated assault on the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war, and L. Patrick Gray was a party to her forcible silencing.

Ashton Gray

Edited by Ashton Gray

Guest John Gillespie
I have updated the lead article in this topic to add an event that has presented an enormously difficult task in attempting to place it correctly in time. This is bizarre in itself, since the event attracted a good deal of attention around the time it happened, if only briefly.

The event is the forcible silencing of Martha Mitchell, which Mae Brussell called a kidnapping.

There are a number of associates and acquaintances who have struggled with the correct date of this event as much as I, and only after I posted the original article did one of these other researchers send me what I believe to be a compelling "date isolater" taken from the Congressional testimony of L. Patrick Gray.

By all accounts, Gray was staying at the same motel in Newport Beach, California as was Martha Mitchell on the night the phone was ripped from the wall while Martha Mitchell was on the phone with a UPI reporter, who some reports have claimed to have been Helen Thomas—although that is in some question.

The way the Martha Mitchell incident date has been isolated arose, strangely enough, from L. Patrick Gray's own Congressional testimony, where there is yet another briefly disputed date: the date on which Gray receives a pivotal phone call informing him that John Dean is in charge of the Watergate investigation for the White House. Gray testifies that this occurred on Wednesday, 21 June 1972, but his date is wrong; the questioner, Senator Montoya, says: "I have it from your phone logs that it was the 20th." Gray doesn't (can't) argue the point, and says that he is certain that the phone call about John Dean being in charge of the investigation at the White House came on "the very first day that I was back from my trip to the West coast."

Therefore the Martha Mitchell event had to have been no later than the night of 19 June 1972.

It should come, then, as no surprise at all to those following this series, and understanding the connections, that the Woodward-Bernstein fiction novel, All the President's Men, gives a completely false date for this event as being June 22, 1972.

There it had sat—although it made no sense there—in all subsequent research until what I consider to have been a brilliant piece of research detective work that I've been fortunate enough to have had shared with me.

Therefore, until or unless some even more compelling piece of evidence comes along, I feel that this disquieting event has been properly located in time, and has its own relevance to what CIA had to keep covered up. It also has very important relevance to affirmation of L. Patrick Gray's knowing collusion in silencing Martha Mitchell in order to hide CIA covert activities in Watergate. Martha Mitchell was just one more casualty in the CIA's premeditated assault on the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war, and L. Patrick Gray was a party to her forcible silencing.

Ashton Gray

Ash,

I just found this from a Mae Brussell article reprinted from The Realist, dated August 1972:

"A high summit meeting was held between John Mitchell and president Nixon. Both came out of it agreeing on two things: Wives of politicians sometimes have a difficult time entertaining themselves; and Martha only had "one guard" (emphasis added) from the Committee to Re-elect Richard Nixon."

Wonder if that "one guard" had a .38 revolver??

Anyway, here's the article as it appears on the net:

http://www.newsmakingnews.com/mbwhywasmartha.htm