The Education Forum

LHO's Photographic Work?

Mr. JENNER. It's charting of coastal areas, sea bottoms, and some land areas or what?

Mr. STOVALL Yes; and some foreign areas, too.

Mr. JENNER. That is, other than continental United States?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes; right.

I did not say that Lee Oswald learned photography at JCS. I asked if JCS might possibly have participated in the creation of the maps used for the Bay of Pigs invasion. But, Oswald was a highly skilled photographer - his talents already finely-hewed when he was in Russia. He was an artiste. Quite a few examples of his work were collected by the Dallas police on 11/23/63. Although they are displayed in evidence like so much garbage - upside-down, crooked and overlapping - and must be reduced from a gargantuan size - they can be manipulated with the computer for proper viewing. His abilities were pretty astonishing - even in the form of photostatic copies. His compositions possess a rare beauty and quality - extremely impressive - city-scapes worthy of appearing in history books or travel magazines - reminding me of the paintings of Camille Pissarro. George de Mohrenschildt said that his photographs were prominently displayed - enlarged and framed - on the walls throughout his home. I'm not surprised. He acknowledged that Lee had good reason to be extremely proud of his work - and, I agree completely. His photographs are moving and compelling - I would almost say historically important - but, I suppose they are already historically important.

Hi JL,

My question has nothing to so with the assassination per se, but since I do appreciate good composition in b&w photography (let's face it: composition is probably more critical in b&w than in color), I was wondering how one can go about finding/seeing some of LHO's artistic work? In other words, where did you see it? Is it viewable on the Net?

He was obviously dyslexic and I've read somewhere that lots of dyslexics are artistic-- very good with spacial relationships. (Hmm-- I just realized that I may have opened up a can of worms-- If he was good with spacial relatioships, then I wonder why he couldn't drive a vehicle or shoot a rifle straight??)

Thanks, Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

PHOTOS REMOVED TO RECAPTURE SPACE

Thomas,

Sorry for the delay - I only just saw this. Here are some examples of Lee's work - found, I believe in the DPD archives. They have been adjusted to be viewed as the DPD presentations are pretty inadaquate.

Edited by JL Allen

Thomas,

Sorry for the delay - I only just saw this. Here are some examples of Lee's work - found, I believe in the DPD archives. They have been adjusted to be viewed as the DPD presentations are pretty inadaquate.

Hi JL,

Thanks for posting some of LHO's photographs. First impression--they are quite good, but where are all of the people??? They remind me of the drawings that Hitler made while he was living in Vienna. Lots of architecture but no people. Maybe this is an indication that LHO could relate with people only on a superficial level. It's my belief that intelligence agents tend to have this sort of superficial, devious (?) 'makeup,' be they the 'real deal' or simply a low-level 'asset' or 'agent' (like Oswald who can be manipulated into believing that he's working as a double or triple agent, and thereby become the perfect 'patsy'.....?)

FWIW, Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

His bent was definitely towards landscape and architectural presentations - and I don't particuarly read that much into it. To each his own, I guess. Annie Liebowitz (sp?) did almost all portraits - Ansel Adams - not too many - I don't think. Lee Oswald did sometimes photograph large masses of citizens as an element of a more expansive depiction - in fact, considering how few photos survive - at least several show a sort of "bee hive" approach to the people in the city.

You may have something, though - about an overall fear of people or a distancing from them - not trusting. Perhaps it does have alot to do with his style. His early years may have imprinted him pretty dramatically.

Edited by JL Allen