The Education Forum

Mystery Witnesses

?

Thanks so much, Jack, for posting the image and the info.

James, I think Woodward confused a lot fo people by saying she stood near the Stemmons Freeway sign when she was really standing by the Thornton Freeway sign. I think the Chisms also said they were by the Stemmons sign but were not. I mean, where are they in the photo? Is that them considerably to Umbrella Man's left

The Chisms were near the Stemmons sign.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I figured that was the Chisms, seeing as that was the closest family. Still, there's something to be learned from this about the imprecision of human memory and language. Chism signed a statement later that afternoon indicating that he was "directly in front of the Stemmons sign," when he was a good 25-30 feet east of the sign. While some might think "directly in front of" means between the sign and the street, or between the sign and the motorcade, to Chism it meant 25-30 feet in front of the words of the sign, to the east of the sign. There are numerous other examples of this imprecision in the statements. The FBI reports are far worse. From reading the FBI reports one would never know the Franzens were to the west of Altgens, readily apparent in the Zapruder film.

I think Chism was very precise to say he was IN FRONT OF THE STEMMONS SIGN.

If he turned around to his right and faced west, he was DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF

THE SIGN. He did not say "I was by the EDGE of the sign". Twenty feet is not a

great distance. The room I am sitting in now is twenty feet long. If I turn around

from my computer and look at the TV at the opposite wall, I would say I AM IN

FRONT OF THE TV. It is nitpicking to say Chism was mistaken.

Jack

?

James, I think Woodward confused a lot fo people by saying she stood near the Stemmons Freeway sign when she was really standing by the Thornton Freeway sign. I think the Chisms also said they were by the Stemmons sign but were not. I mean, where are they in the photo? Is that them considerably to Umbrella Man's left

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I figured that was the Chisms, seeing as that was the closest family. Still, there's something to be learned from this about the imprecision of human memory and language. Chism signed a statement later that afternoon indicating that he was "directly in front of the Stemmons sign," when he was a good 25-30 feet east of the sign. While some might think "directly in front of" means between the sign and the street, or between the sign and the motorcade, to Chism it meant 25-30 feet in front of the words of the sign, to the east of the sign. There are numerous other examples of this imprecision in the statements. The FBI reports are far worse. From reading the FBI reports one would never know the Franzens were to the west of Altgens, readily apparent in the Zapruder film.

great distance. The room I am sitting in now is twenty feet long. If I turn around

Jack

I agree. The point I was trying to make is that words are so open to interpretation. When I read his statement that he was "directly in front" of the sign, I assumed he meant in comparison to the street. I assumed he was near Witt, by the edge of the sign, not 20 feet away.

Robin, thanks for the images.

angels.jpg

I hate to say it, but they look like twin angels of death standing there, to disappear after the shooting.

?

Jack

Jack

I agree. The point I was trying to make is that words are so open to interpretation. When I read his statement that he was "directly in front" of the sign, I assumed he meant in comparison to the street. I assumed he was near Witt, by the edge of the sign, not 20 feet away.

Witt is not in the photo. Witt is a xxxx and phony.

Jack