The Education Forum

Did FBI create separate files on Oswald to enable CIA compartmentalization of thier Oswald Files?

1. John Newman in Oswald and the CIA, claims that Hosty at Dallas FBI did not have the correct address of

Oswald after he moved to New Orleans in April, 1963 for about four months. Newman states this was the

exact time period when Lee was using the Hidell name in New Orleans?

But Newman also states that other FBI offices did have Oswalds new New Orleans address, and shows that

it would have been very easy for Hosty to get it, had he simply checked with previously utilized FBI contacts

at the Dallas Post Office.

Do you agree with Newman's belief that Hosty was deliberately being left in the dark regarding Oswald's

David Atlee Phillips connected machinations with the fake FPCC in New Orleans?

If so, what is the purpose of this obfuscation? Was it so the Dallas FBI would not have to inform the Secret

Service of "local kooky individuals" -- in this case Oswald's persona as a pro Castro activist-- prior to the

JFK trip to Dallas a year later? Am I getting too far ahead of myself chronologically, here? If this is not the

reason, what was?

2. Newman (p.209, 210 Oswald and the CIA) writes "the FBI was bifurcating its oswald material at the Bureau

and in Dallas int two compartment at each locations. The material collected under the catiion "Funds

Transmitted to Russia" went into the 100 file at the Bureau and into the 105 file at Dallas; the rest of the

Oswald material went into the 105 file at the Bureau and into the 100 file at Dallas. Is is important

to keep this detail in mind because this patern, begun in 1960, persisted into 1961."

My question: do you think there a correlation between this "bifurcation" of Dallas FBI files and a

similar "bifurcation" of Oswald's CIA files, in particular use of 201 permanent files, 201 "soft file"

and 100 file?

Might this in some way be related to differences in access to FBI records on Oswald between Win Scott in

Mexico City, on the one hand, and Angleton, Helms, Karamessines in Langley on the other? (?)

This question is probably quite bovine, but its not easy studiing Oswalds files with ADD

So please explain your alternative interpretation of the above facts, so that I can make head or

tail of things.

John Simkin: please terminate my other thread with at least inspired prejudice, on account of the topic title is wrong.

Edited by Nathaniel Heidenheimer

1. John Newman in Oswald and the CIA, claims that Hosty at Dallas FBI did not have the correct address of

Oswald after he moved to New Orleans in April, 1962 for about four months. Newman states this was the

exact time period when Lee was using the Hidell name in New Orleans?

But Newman also states that other FBI offices did have Oswalds new New Orleans address, and shows that

it would have been very easy for Hosty to get it, had he simply checked with previously utilized FBI contacts

Do you agree with Newman's belief that Hosty was deliberately being left in the dark regarding Oswald's

David Atlee Phillips connected machinations with the fake FPCC in New Orleans?

If so, what is the purpose of this obfuscation? Was it so the Dallas FBI would not have to inform the Secret

Service of "local kooky individuals" -- in this case Oswald's persona as a pro Castro activist-- prior to the

JFK trip to Dallas a year later? Am I getting too far ahead of myself chronologically, here? If this is not the

reason, what was?

2. Newman (p.209, 210 Oswald and the CIA) writes "the FBI was bifurcating its oswald material at the Bureau

and in Dallas int two compartment at each locations. The material collected under the catiion "Funds

Transmitted to Russia" went into the 100 file at the Bureau and into the 105 file at Dallas; the rest of the

Oswald material went into the 105 file at the Bureau and into the 100 file at Dallas. Is is important

to keep this detail in mind because this patern, begun in 1960, persisted into 1961."

My question: do you think there a correlation between this "bifurcation" of Dallas FBI files and a

similar "bifurcation" of Oswald's CIA files, in particular use of 201 permanent files, 201 "soft file"

and 100 file?

Might this in some way be related to differences in access to FBI records on Oswald between Win Scott in

Mexico City, on the one hand, and Angleton, Helms, Karamessines in Langley on the other? (?)

This question is probably quite bovine, but its not easy studiing Oswalds files with ADD

So please explain your alternative interpretation of the above facts, so that I can make head or

tail of things.

John Simkin: please terminate my other thread with at least inspired prejudice, on account of the topic title is wrong.

Nathaniel:

When one begins to study Oswald's ties to the intellignece community- (FBI, ONI, CIA, US Customs)- "obfuscation" is an understatement. As early as 1960 there is a Hoover memo that while LHO was in Russia there was someone in the US using Oswald's id. Now what was LHO being set up for as early as 1960? I think there is ample evidence that his trip to Russia was part of the planned defectors movement and further proof of this is that his trip home was financed by the State department. Imagine a "real" defector receiving such treatment after having "denounced" the US?

Is there a 201 file on LHO? Does such correspond to the FBI's file? I doubt it. A 201 file on LHO has allegedly been"discovered" but which LHO is it? LHO was also listed under so many names that acquring information from these intelligence data basis' has been mired in confusion.

Re Hosty: Good question. I think Hosty- good FBI "go to" guy- did what he was told to do, without asking questions. ( eg: interview Marina Oswald and Ruth Paine on 11/1/63, tear-up Oswald's note, per order of boss J Gordon Shanklin etc. ) What ever he may have suspected is something that could undoubtably shed much light on this complex subject: WHO WAS LHO? How many were they? Beyond Armstrong's two, there were all the imposters to consider.

Dawn

"But Newman also states that other FBI offices did have Oswalds new New Orleans address, and shows that

David Atlee Phillips connected machinations with the fake FPCC in New Orleans?"

In 1963 the United States Postal Service was the USPO.

The Postal Inspection Service was (is?) a separate intelligence grouping with a history older than any other Federal intelligence group. As such one could reasonably suppose it to be efficient?

PI reports to his superior in Washington who works under the Post Master General who was part of the Presidents Cabinet. (ie sometimes daily contact)

The Post Master General is approached by the the CIA leadership in order to ensure the continuation of the illegal mail opening program (Marguerite Oswald found this out re her letters to Kruschev.)

The Postal Inspector is often a local FBI informant as well.

In the case of Dallas PI Harry D. Holmes (FBI informant DA-T7) he was 'in' with the Police as well.

...Conflicts? Who's the Boss: The President, The Postmaster General, The head of the CIA, the FBI?

As a nexus, and no doubt recognised as such, to what extent is a PI in New Orleans abreast of the activities of a Dallas PI? How likely is it that the local FBI would NOT avail itself of them? I don't know, but it seems reasonable they would, so if the docs are not available, it's because they have not surfaced. In fact I don't think I've seen or heard of ANY internal USPO PI documentation.

Oldest, best and most secret? Maybe.

Ignorant of Oswald movements? hmmmm......

edit::Following the assassination Harry kept a watch on Oswalds postbox. In early December he finds a copy of Time with a subscription renewal slip.

It is generally assumed that Oswald had a lot of boxes because of mail redirections. In the case of the Time magazine this indicates a possible one year trail of mail redirections. The implications are obvious in this context. The USPO PI service could easily follow his movements. As a local FBI informant, a defacto CIA operative, confidant of Fritz, and as USPO Postal Inspector, would he have been alerted by NO PI's of Oswalds move to Dallas?

Edited by John Dolva

"Might this in some way be related to differences in access to FBI records on Oswald between Win Scott in

Mexico City, on the one hand, and Angleton, Helms, Karamessines in Langley on the other? (?)"

Possibly of relevance is the rationalisation (restruction and cuts) of FBI personnel (agents and informers) in Mexico City under way at the time of the assassination.

Nathaniel Heidenheimer Posted Jul 29 2006, 10:48 PM

Oswald after he moved to New Orleans in April, 1962 for about four months. Newman states this was the exact time period when Lee was using the Hidell name in New Orleans?

Mr. Heidenheimer,

Lee Oswald lived in New Orleans in the summer of 1963, not 1962.