The Education Forum

New movie: The Commission

Guest Mark Valenti

Mark Sobel's film has obviously been a labor of love and a work in progress. The film clips from the website are riveting, but apparently after a few screenings in Los Angeles, Dallas and Washington D.C., Sobel is still working to make The Commission a little more understandable to potential viewers who may not have knowledge of the inner workings of the Warren Commission.

From the website:

An Indie Feature can take a long time to complete --- especially when one person is doing everything. This project began photography in the summer of 1998, and post production is expected to continue through 2006.

After being named “Best Emerging Narrative Feature” when screened “in-progress” at the I.F.P. Independent Feature Market Awards in New York during September, 2004 (their top award), “THE COMMISSION” moved into the final stages of editorial changes and sound mixing, to be completed in 2006.

Just prior to it’s award in New York, The Commission was invited to screen “in-progress” in Washington DC on September 18th, 2004 as part of the 40th Anniversary Symposium on the Warren Report.

Previously, early cuts of the film screened as a “Work-In-Progress” at the AFI Fest in Los Angeles and at the USA Film Festival in Dallas. While significantly different from the emerging final cut, both screenings proved of great importance in obtaining audience feedback in order to help make editorial decisions relating to refining the complex structure of the film.

Although the above mentions the film will be completed in 2006, the website does not say when or in what form the film will ultimately be released. At one point in time, I believe Sobel said it would not be available (at least initially) in DVD form.

Although the above mentions the film will be completed in 2006, the website does not say when or in what form the film will ultimately be released. At one point in time, I believe Sobel said it would not be available (at least initially) in DVD form.

Mark has been trying to get it released to a national cinema audience. He has therefore been reluctant to make it available on DVD.

John,

We can all hope Mark Sobel is successful in his efforts. I have been wanting to see the film for two years, since I first heard about it.

I hope your holiday in Australia was a good one. Welcome back. The Forum just isn't the same without your presence. Thanks for all the information you regularly provide.

Mike

Mark:

Thanx for the reminder. I have been waiting for this film to come out. It will be badly reviewed like other films critical to the WC and probably have limited runs. When "Executive Action" was released in 73 (or 74) it played only about two weeks in Boston.

Dawn

I asked Mark if he had a tentative schedule. He said he's aiming for a theatrical release in 2007 and that he's looking for financing for a private release if he cannot find a theatrical distributor. Anyone with any ideas can contact him through his website.

[quote name='Peter Lemkin' date='Aug 27 2006, 08:47 PM' post='73213']

Yeah, looks interesting!...but just as they tried to do a hatchet job on JFK they must have Pozner clones working overtime already......somehow I think the time may be 'ripe' for things to really start changing and I think it was 9/11 that was just one BIGLIE too far even for the TV-blinded masses......we will see....as the WC material alone was enough to prove a cover-up a the highest levels...can't wait to see public reaction to the Ruby statements......

I'd suggest people start planning information handouts on the assassination generally and where to get more information from books/internet/etc. to HAND OUT to persons going to the film [best on way out!] when it is in the theatres!!!!! I did that after film JFK and people were very receptive!

Peter:

What an excellent idea. Wish I'd had done that with JFK. I did talk to many of the poeple leaving and people were pretty shaken up. It opened here Dec 20, 1991 and we had a huge rainstorm. To the point where cars were being washed away. But people filled the theatre. Will have handouts for The Commission.

Dawn