The Education Forum

A New Angle on Murder

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernice, a large copy of a and b would be very nice, perhaps you could email a copy that others (incl me) could post?

Ashton the switching tower.....

I have run out of photo uploading space after posting these three ..I have had to reduce in size for this Tower map and

information....sorry, perhaps you can enlarge it and still make sense of all..B

Bernice, you're an angel! Thanks very much. This is perfect.

Except, damn: now I've got to make a sewer cover. B)

I'm still trying to get the terrain fixed but will get your view from that fence corner as soon as possible.

Ashton

P.S. Jack: I've put a "Zapruder" in the model, and a camera that can be viewed through at his eye level. The software includes framing for a 16mm camera but not an 8mm. I set the field of view to 13° and the focus seemed very close to the Z film framing. As soon as I can get this @$##^#$! terrain fixed, I can export a movie taken from that camera, and the Stemmons sign should be installed by then.

Does the software you are using allow for 4D [time]?

I think I've come up with a hack that allows it: OPT (Other People's Time).

Given that I've done this in Sketchup, and given that there is now a free version of Sketchup provided by Google, and given that I've had a number of pestiferous naggings to make this available on some basis, I think I'm going to try to figure out a way to do just that. If I can, who knows: we all might soon be wandering around a virtual Dealey Plaza, bumping into each other, permanently stuck at 12:29 p.m. on a late November day...

Ashton

P.S.: I just may put ruby slippers on what's 'er name instead of white tennis shoes.

Great stuff Ashton, now can you add in all the shooters? B)

After I get the model of the magic bullet working. Right now it keeps going in circles :)

Asthon

Thanx Ash,

My laugh of the day.

Don't forget to have it hang mid air for 1.5 seconds :)

Dawn

Catching up on a few requests.

Here's a view from the south knoll, this near the south pergola and the corner of the parking lot:

From-South-Knoll.jpg

And here's the view from the end of the picket fence, by the sewer cover if I have this right. Unfortunately the faux trees can't provide any very realistic representation of how they might have factored in and this needs to be improved, but it's what is right now:

End-of-Picket-Fence.jpg

I was trying out different focal lengths and don't recall what each of the above was set to.

I'm working with some people to figure out a practical way this thing could be distributed. Right now it's about 40 megs, so I don't know yet.

Ashton

Thank you, Mr. Gray.....

for anyone with a minute..

presupposing a SK shot......is it possible fragments could possibly have struck the back of the "Stemmons" sign?.....I know the sign removal significance has been largely explained away....but we know a whole "missile" was not in JFK's head, or at least we think we know....the rest of the bullet, even a frangible one, would have had to have gone somewhere......no?

Ashton, Its all great!....but hope you realize you have likely lost any chance of free time for then next year....

We all thank you - but I don't envy you as you become the sleepless zombie of VR-DP.

Great stuff and great expectations.....

Peter: Ashton's only slept 5 hours since joining this forum, so he's used to it now. Sleep is overrated. :)

Ash your post (response to mine in this thread) cracked me up!

Dawn

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Here are a few images I constructed earlier.

They may be AUATOAB but may also be of some interest.

EBC

Edited by Eugene B. Connolly

Can we have full details of the software and processes used

to manufacture these views?

The entire thing was created in Sketchup Pro, using only that and Photoshop (to create the images projected onto the buildings and other geometry).

Google has taken over Sketchup and has now put out a free(!) version, so this thing can be loaded into Sketchup (free), which is available for both Mac and PC, and can be further edited, played with, added to, tweaked, improved, and otherwise folded, bent, stapled, and mutilated by anyone to their heart's content.

For anyone who has Sketchup Pro, it has the additional ability to export to a whole laundry list of CAD formats (for further, maybe more refined scaling and editing uses), plus the ability to create movies and other kinds of presentations from any model—including selecting from preset "cameras" or creating your own, with adjustable framing and focal lengths.

I started this just to satisfy my own curiosity about several things, but, as I mentioned earlier, it's become something...else.

I seriously am trying to work out some way to make it available to others (with the caveat that it can become something of an addiction, damn it). Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to pursue that with any diligence for at least a week and maybe two, but I do have it set as a goal.

Ashton

P.S. Very nice set of images you posted! How did you do that? And do you have very specific topo information for Dealey? That has been a major bugbear. Sculpting terrain contours by eye should be reserved for God. He's the only one who has enough time.