The Education Forum

The Newmans on TV, 11-22-63

Pat Speer

As everyone here should know, Bill and Gayle Newman were two of the closest witnesses to the assassination. Shortly after the shooting they were taken to WFAA televison, where they described what they saw. In Mark Lane's film Rush to Judgement, he shows one of the interviews of William Newman. (He describes the large head wound as being in front of the right ear, by the way). From what I can gather, however, Bill Newman was interviewed three different times, as was Gayle. I'm interested in reading the complete transcripts of their televised interviews. If anyone knows where I can find them, or where the footage of their interviews is available, it would be appreciated. I think I saw that some years back KRLD put out a video of the early footage. If anyone has it and is willing to make me a copy, perhaps we can find something to trade.

Thanks, Pat

Edited by Pat Speer

As everyone here should know, Bill and Gayle Newman were two of the closest witnesses to the assassination. Shortly after the shooting they were taken to KRLD televison, where they described what they saw. In Mark Lane's film Rush to Judgement, he shows one of the interviews of William Newman. (He describes the large head wound as being in front of the right ear, by the way). From what I can gather, however, Bill Newman was interviewed three different times, as was Gayle. I'm interested in reading the complete transcripts of their televised interviews. If anyone knows where I can find them, or where the footage of their interviews is available, it would be appreciated. I think I saw that some years back KRLD put out a video of the early footage. If anyone has it and is willing to make me a copy, perhaps we can find something to trade.

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

This DVD is outstanding:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2003/jfk//

"Shortly after the shooting they were taken to KRLD televison..."

WFAA, interviewed by Jay Watson.

RJS

As everyone here should know, Bill and Gayle Newman were two of the closest witnesses to the assassination. Shortly after the shooting they were taken to KRLD televison, where they described what they saw. In Mark Lane's film Rush to Judgement, he shows one of the interviews of William Newman. (He describes the large head wound as being in front of the right ear, by the way). From what I can gather, however, Bill Newman was interviewed three different times, as was Gayle. I'm interested in reading the complete transcripts of their televised interviews. If anyone knows where I can find them, or where the footage of their interviews is available, it would be appreciated. I think I saw that some years back KRLD put out a video of the early footage. If anyone has it and is willing to make me a copy, perhaps we can find something to trade.

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

This DVD is outstanding:

RJS

OOPS. Good catch. WFAA. Same as Zapruder.

Edited by Pat Speer

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

This DVD is outstanding:

RJS

I tried to order this DVD. They said they'd email me before shipping. Never did. Now when I look at the link the order form is missing. I can't even figure out where to complain.

Anyhow, if anyone has this DVD and can transcribe what the Newmans said in their first interview, I, for one, would be greatly appreciative.

Hi Pat,

I don't have that DVD but I do have one called 'Breaking the News' which is the story of how the press covered the assassination and it has a lot of good footage on there including Jay Watson's interview with Bill and Gayle Newman. I think it has the whole thing. I'll try and transcribe it for you later today if that's any help.

Ok here is the transcript of the WFAA interview with Jay Watson of Bill and Gayle Newman. I don't know having looked at it again if it is the whole interview as the piece of the breaking the news dvd is quite short.

Anyway here it is:

Jay Watson: "Billy, tell me what you saw and what you felt. What happened to you?"

Bill Newman: " We were...we just come from Love Field after seeing the ...President and First Lady, and we were just in front of the triple underpass on Elm Street and we were at the edge of the curb, getting ready to wave at the President when we heard the first shot and the President.....I don't know who was hit first but the President jumped up in his seat, and I thought it scared him, I thought it was a firecracker, cause he looked....you know, fear."

JW (turning to Gayle Newman): "What was the first thought that struck your mind?"

GN: "I thought it was a firecracker and I saw the blood and I.....I had the baby and I .....I just ran and we....I got on top of him and laid on the grass. I....I was....it scared me. It was terrible."

I also found another bit of footage from the documentary 'Who was Lee Harvey Oswald?' which has Bill being interviewed again by Jay Watson - don't know if this is before or after the interview alongside his wife but this time instead of being in the studio he is interviewed in the newsroom and both of them are standing. Again, I don't know if this is the whole interview as the piece is very short.

JW: "When I first looked over the balcony......to where...the chaos was taking place, this gentleman and his wife and two children were on the grass."

BN: "We heard...uh..a blast....and the President looked like that he right jumped up in his seat.....and then he......we seen him....uh.....get shot in the side of the head and he fell back in the seat and Governor Conally was holding his stomach."

If I find any more bits of footage with the newmans I'll post it on here.

Thanks, Francesca, that helps a lot. Apparently, according to ce 962, there was an interview with Gayle, in which she told the whole story. I've never seen this, and am wondering if it differs from the statements she made the next day. One of the important things about these early statements is that they establish that the Newmans absolutely positively failed to hear the purported first shot miss at frame 160. They heard a burst of shots which they associated with Kennedy's reaction to being shot. They heard no "miss" three seconds or more before Kennedy's reaction, as necessitated by the current lone-nut theory.

Thanks, Francesca, that helps a lot. Apparently, according to ce 962, there was an interview with Gayle, in which she told the whole story. I've never seen this, and am wondering if it differs from the statements she made the next day. One of the important things about these early statements is that they establish that the Newmans absolutely positively failed to hear the purported first shot miss at frame 160. They heard a burst of shots which they associated with Kennedy's reaction to being shot. They heard no "miss" three seconds or more before Kennedy's reaction, as necessitated by the current lone-nut theory.

I have the full interview, given that afternoon at the WFAA studios , in Real Player on my home computer. I used a search engine and found the interview and downloaded it. This really cemented into my mind , where the shots came from. The fact that they did not hear the missed shot is indeed important since , according to their testimony, it did not come from the "knoll" area.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can transfer this media from Real Player? Either by email or possibly transferring to a web site?

Edited by Peter McGuire

I have the full interview, given that afternoon at the WFAA studios , in Real Player on my home computer. I used a search engine and found the interview and downloaded it. This really cemented into my mind , where the shots came from. The fact that they did not hear the missed shot is indeed important since , according to their testimony, it did not come from the "knoll" area.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can transfer this media from Real Player? Either by email or possibly transferring to a web site?

Peter, does the link still exist? Do you remember how you found it? I did quite a lot of searching on google about the Newmans, but don't remember seeing their original interviews anywhere.

The file you have should be a 'RAM' file, e.g. 'interview.ram' so you should be able to email it as an attachment.

I know you're focusing mainly on televised interviews but I just remembered there's a long interview with Bill Newman in the Larry Sneed book 'No More Silence'.

The file you have should be a 'RAM' file, e.g. 'interview.ram' so you should be able to email it as an attachment.

I know you're focusing mainly on televised interviews but I just remembered there's a long interview with Bill Newman in the Larry Sneed book 'No More Silence'.

Real player wouldn't let me email the file. I did manage to transfer the file to :

www.msnusers.com/jfkinfo

But you may need real player to be able to play it. I can't get Yahoo Player out of default and cannot play it myself, but it is in my Real Player account and working fine.

Please let me know if you could access the file and feel free to add other material to that group.

Edited by Peter McGuire