The Education Forum

John M. Newman

John Simkin

My reaction to your last two posts, is to say that it is rather obvious in my opinion, that the Eisenhower Peace Summit was opposed by individuals in the United States government at some very high level.

We're almost there.

The Peace Summit was opposed by individuals in the United States and Soviet governments at very high levels -- and their Cold War masters.

I have no doubt you are correct Charles, additionally if those find this thread interesting, I strongly suugest you observe the most recent update I have made to the thread on the WARE Group.....Especially to you Jim....

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13385

Thank you Robert

I read through the info on the Ware Group and thought it would be interesting to add that it appears another attorney was working around the same area as these fellows, Wilho Tikander.

My file of information that I uncovered came from a person that I speculate was the recipiant of the Raleigh Call. He also seems to be affilliated with several of the departments that the Ware Group people were associated with. This person also traveled to the Soviet Union many times throughout the course of his life begining, I believe, in the 1920's.

Interesting Group

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root

Jim,

You wrote in this thread:

"One thing cannot be denied, Scott was familiar with the Lee Harvey Oswald and Whitney Shepardson’s friend Demitri de Mohrenschildt's brother George was perhaps Lee Harvey Oswald's closest friend in Dallas."

Are you saying Win Scott knew George or Demitri Mohrenschildt? There was no mention of either brother in Our Man in Mexico, Jeff Morley's biography of Scott. Do you have a reference?

Keep up the research efforts.

Steve

Jim,

You wrote in this thread:

"One thing cannot be denied, Scott was familiar with the Lee Harvey Oswald and Whitney Shepardson’s friend Demitri de Mohrenschildt's brother George was perhaps Lee Harvey Oswald's closest friend in Dallas."

Are you saying Win Scott knew George or Demitri Mohrenschildt? There was no mention of either brother in Our Man in Mexico, Jeff Morley's biography of Scott. Do you have a reference?

Keep up the research efforts.

Steve

Steve

I am attempting to make a connection that my research has led too. Winn Scott was familiar with Lee Harvey Oswald, we Know this to be true. It seems that Scott can be connected to others who can also be connected to Oswald as well.

During WWII Scott was recruited into the OSS as a cryptologist. The problem with this is the OSS was not allowed access to code breaking (ULTRA) information. Having said that we do find that a very special portion of Secret Intelligence (SI) (people who were working under the cover of being a part of the OSS) did work with codes. This is where Sheparcson comes into play and where my first pieces of information come together that shows Scott associated with the SI people under Shepardson and John V. Grombach. It is Shepardson that is closely associated to both Demitri de Mohrenschildt and John J. McCloy. Scott MAY have been associated with Demitri while in London during WWII as they were both working with the same groups of people.

Having said the above this is where I will enter into some speculation. It seems that for one reason or the other Scott was left out of the loop on Oswald while he was visiting Mexico. We know this is true based upon the Jane Roman information that suggests that false information (or incomplete information at best) was purposly sent to Scott in Mexico for one reason or the other. Corrrect me if I am wrong here, Scott is then involved in the release of a picture of Oswald in Mexico that is not Oswald.

Now we have the cunnudrum....was Scott part of the plot or was he a person who could have pieced together the facts of who was behind the plot based upon his previous affiliation with SI? It appears that the information that was withheld from Scott about Oswald might have suggested to Scott that Oswald may have been an asset of SI (if my theory is correct). And the information was withheld from Scott by the Office of Richard Helms who was himself a former SI man.

Was Scott duped?

Jim Root

• 3 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

John Newman wrote:

Perhaps the Office of Security has an excuse for why it failed in 1956 to furnish CI/OA with the same "derogatory" information on Priscilla that it furnished in 1953. That excuse might be that the second, Swedish-born, Priscilla Johnson — whether she was a real person or a cover story — had a good security record. Historians now have the unenviable task of trying to figure out whether the CIA was inventing a false Priscilla Johnson or whether it was incapable of telling the difference between two people born five years and three thousand miles apart .

What Newman described as "the unenviable task" has been solved. Priscilla Livingston Johnson is a real person. She is an American, born in 1922 in Stockholm to U.S. diplomat Hallett Johson. She married OSS Major Thomas McCoy in 1945. He joined CIA in 1951 and was later a political operative for Eugene McCarthy.

So many have kept silent for so many years.:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10093&st=75#entry256355

• 9 months later...

If Trejo believes Newman weaves imaginary fictions, then that line of reasoning by Trejo would be odd. I might also add that Trejo, if you have believed the FBI reports so easily... (not to say they have fabricated every report, etc) remember that they have certainly proved themselves to omit, distort or lie about certain individuals involved in the case and many others throughout its history.

Edited by B. A. Copeland

Newman's work on Oswald and the intelligence chain of documents related to him is among the more intricate and subtle works extant on the subject of the covert operations leading up the assassination of our President. The book is demanding and very rewarding, for those who are truly motivated in unraveling the events that transpired which involved creating the legend of the patsy, and compromising the FBI and other institutions in a way that would insure that no real investigation would ever occur.

There is no skimming through this work. It takes dedication, attention and a willingness to wade through a considerable pile of documents to understand that only one section of the CIA handled Oswald, that it wasn't the department that ought to have been handling him, and that much of the information that ought to exist on LHO disappeared into a black hole there in Counterintelligence's own private files.

In my opinion, no other single book really points out and proves the real "smoking gun" in the case the way Newman's book does.

The whole "Oswald worked for the Russians thus we can't afford to look for anyone else" shtick that Johnson and others used to pin all the weight onto Oswald at all costs came from a compromised Hoover who got it from the CIA. People within the CIA created this legend, and no one else- not Soviets, Cubans, anti-Castro Cubans, Mafia, FBI, Johnson, Lemay, Industrialists nor anyone else except for people in the CIA at the highest levels of Counterintelligence could have done this.

In the end, one simply follows "Lee as a Soviet Assassin" backwards to unravel the truth-back through the witnesses told to change their stories to save the country from WWIII -back to the Secret Service and FBI footsoldiers, to Earl Warren and his cronies, to President Johnson, to J. Edgar Hoover, to his men receiving the "Oswald ticking bomb" before the assassination, back, back, back to David Atlee Philips who did ran the legwork of the operation and to James Jesus Angleton who masterminded the quite ingenious and complex scheme.

There probably were others involved in the murky powers above them, and obviously, there were the actual shooters, at least some of whom were likely anti-Castro Cubans out for vengeance for being betrayed.

But, those at the top and bottom cannot be proved in the way you can with the trail of bread crumbs in the form of solid intelligence agency documents the way you can prove it with Angleton. There simply isn't anyone else who had the access- and Angleton believed in a uber-Soviet master-plan of domination to the point that he actually tried to get the Prime Minister of Great Britain, and a half dozen other important Democratic countries leaders removed because he believed they were Soviet spies. What he must have through of JFK, with his talk of detente and world peace?

The assassination is timed perfectly with Angleton's psychological upheaval as his good friend Kim Philby had been discovered to be a Soviet spy and had absconded with unknown secrets told to him by Angleton. Angleton had been compromised himself, falling for Soviet defector Anatoliy Golitsyn. Golitsyn fed Angleton's paranoia to the point where Angleton saw Soviet mechanisms everywhere...he likely would have been committed, if he hadn't been doing a job where being paranoid was an integral part of his job. A careful read of Angleton's biographies shows a man driven to the deepest, darkest paranoia. At this point, Angleton answered to no one...not even the Director.

There has been very little written about this, but I think it is worth considering that the combination of losing his largest, most valued sponser in Allen Dulles, Golitsyn having Angleton's ear, and Philby's treachery left Angleton so unbalanced that he would have readily listened to anyone in power who made the case that JFK's actions towards a more peaceful world was tantamount to treason. Angleton often wisked himself off to other countries to try and bring down high level politicians/ high level intelligence officers in other democratic countries... how much of a push would it have taken to get him to act against Kennedy? . Perhaps he acted on his own, (I've not heard anyone suggest that, but, why not? Angleton himself lavished hundreds of thousands of dollars on Golitsyn with unrecorded CIA funds- he had the access to untraceable funds). Under Angelton, Counterintelligence ran it's own filing system outside of the rest of the CIA. We know that Oswald ought to have been run through the Soviet division, but instead, was run by CI.

Newman's book is the smartest single work on the matter of Oswald's intelligence involvement. There is no doubt at all that he was being handled, that he was being made to "look" like a Soviet assassin PRE-presidential assassination. And there is no doubt that this information was dropped into J. Edgar Hoover's lap in a way that would not immediately come to light, until the big event on Nov. 22.

This is a cornerstone book for anyone really interested in the truth. Instead of relying on witnesses or rumors, it's all based on existing released intelligence documents, which, speak for themselves.

I believe that it is possible that while in Mexico City, Oswald may have been provided with a cut out phone number to call and told to make a person to person collect call to "John Hurt" in Raleigh, North Carolina if he were to get into trouble.

Dear Mr. Root,

I think the "John Hurt" Oswald tried to call from jail was ostensibly the codebreaker John Hurt, and I agree with you that the number was represented as a "cut out" number for Oswald to call in case he got into trouble. I do wonder, however, what kind of trouble Oswald anticipated getting into.

Did Oswald think he could get into trouble by:

1) Attempting to discredit the FPCC in Mexico City?

2) Acting as a "dangle" towards Kostikov or Azcue or some other Soviet or Cuban official?

3) Trying to get into Cuba to assassinate Castro?

4) Trying to help flush out a "mole" for Angleton?

5) ?

What do you think Oswald thought he was doing in Mexico City (if indeed he actually was in M.C.)?

Sincerely,

--Tommy :sun

P.S. It's a little past midnight Saturday morning, May 4 here in California and I am honored to see that Mr. Scully is "lurking" on this thread right now. If he buries this post with one of his own, I guess I'll just bump it after a reasonable amount of time...

Edited by Thomas Graves

Guest Tom Scully

John Newman wrote:

Perhaps the Office of Security has an excuse for why it failed in 1956 to furnish CI/OA with the same "derogatory" information on Priscilla that it furnished in 1953. That excuse might be that the second, Swedish-born, Priscilla Johnson — whether she was a real person or a cover story — had a good security record. Historians now have the unenviable task of trying to figure out whether the CIA was inventing a false Priscilla Johnson or whether it was incapable of telling the difference between two people born five years and three thousand miles apart .

What Newman described as "the unenviable task" has been solved. Priscilla Livingston Johnson is a real person. She is an American, born in 1922 in Stockholm to U.S. diplomat Hallett Johson. She married OSS Major Thomas McCoy in 1945. He joined CIA in 1951 and was later a political operative for Eugene McCarthy.

So many have kept silent for so many years.:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10093&st=75#entry256355

:clapping

The above is one example of why I wish Patrick would post more

But I understand why he doesn't.

Here is what I thought of Newman's book. http://www.ctka.net/reviews/newman.html

It was the only in depth analysis of that pivotal work I know of.

And BTW, as you can see from my other post about Rosenbaum's piece of crap article, I am in agreement about just how goofy Angleton was. And I am sure Patrick would agree that in retrospect, Epstein's Legend was a whitewash of the whole reason he was fired--about 12 years too late. Anyone who fell for Philby and then got suckered by Golitsyn should have been canned.

Epstein's book today, although it has some decent info in it, is a really bad book. James Angleton was a disaster.

And the fact that both Epstein and Rosenbaum refuse to acknowledge that Jim A controlled all of the files on Oswald at CIA, and then did a dance with them before the Mexico CIty charade, that is a disgrace.

Jim,

Any opinion on how/why Newman did not go the rest of the way and publish the detail that Stockholm Priscilla Johnson was the daughter of

Rockefeller connected diplomat F. Hallett Johnson and the wife of Thomas F. McCoy who resigned from the CIA to "work for" Gene McCarthy in 1968? Newman had the birthdate and place of birth, Stockholm of the name used as a prop to "justify" confusion over the CIA file of Priscilla

Mary Post Johnson. Why do you think he stopped there and left it to historians to figure it out?

The introduction of an older Priscilla, or two, in Priscilla Mary Post Johnson seemed a dumb alteration, even before this.:

books.google.com/books?isbn=0943734363

....Ethel and I were invited to dinner at the home of Dave Davenport who also had Priscilla McMillan, his cousin, as a guest. I had not seen Priscilla since she had interviewed me in Dallas on the Oswald matter and since she had married and divorced ... David Davenport was a former CIA man who had become disenchanted and was now semi-retired to his youthful....

If Priscilla Johnson McMillan has been truthful, how difficult would it have been for her to provide references to the CIA that included her first

cousin, David Davenport, and his father-in-law, OSS Stockholm espionage chief, David E Brewer, Jr. Even if she did not provide CIA with those

names in the early 1950's how difficult would it have been to ignore them in Priscilla's background check?

MISS EL BREWER WED IN ELMSFORD; She Is Attended by Seven...

New York Times - Dec 20, 1942
19 -- The marriage of Miss Effie Leighton Brewer, daughter of Major George Emerson Brewer ... Brewer of this place, to David Coit Davenport, son of Mrs. 1VfcHarg ... of Hastings and Eunice Johnson of Mill Neck, LI, a cousin of the bridegroom.

Priscilla Mary Post Johnson had the education, background, and references to quickly pass background check and then a prompt job offer

from CIA. It is ludicrous to believe she applied and she withdrew her application after it languished in the CIA personnel office.

If the CIA really did reject Priscilla as a candidate for employment at the agency, would even a picture of her sitting on Allen Dulles's knee been

a compelling reference to get her a job offer?

A Nation Divided: The 1968 Presidential Campaign - Page 96
books.google.com/books?isbn=1469704129

... two new personalities—Thomas Finney and Tom McCoy. Both men had worked for the CIA and were close friends. Moreover, each of them had been critical of President Johnson's Vietnam policy for quite some time. The 43-year-old Finney,

Oswald and the CIA: The Documented Truth Anout the Unknown ... - Page 63
books.google.com/books?isbn=1602392536

... Truth Anout the Unknown Relationship Between the U.S. Government and the Alleged Killer of JFK John Newman ... but the next sentence was extraordinary: "She was apparently born 23 September 1922 in Stockholm, Sweden, rather than ....

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10093&page=6entry256355

I intended to verify the lead I found at Ancestry.com that led me to believe that Priscilla Livingston Johnson, b. 1922 Stockholm, Sweden, was the daughter of a U.S. diplomat. Until now, I had not verified her D.O.B. more closely than the year, 1922. Now

I can post an exact match, 23 September, 1922.

U.S., Consular Reports of Births, 1910-1949 > Alphabetical > Jamieson - Johnson

USConsularReportsofBirths19101949_187253

Priscilla Livingston Johnson's mother was Katherine Beeckman Steward, a daughter of Campbell Steward, and a niece of former Rhode Island governor Robert Livingston Beeckman, and of Mrs. Louis L. Lorillard. Katerine married U.S. diplomat F. Hallett Johnson in 1920 and daughter Priscilla was born in Stockholm in 1922.

http://www.smokershi...om/Lorillar.htm

Peter Lorillard

Mrs. Peter Lorillard Sr. was a daughter of Nathaniel Griswold. Peter Lorillard Jr. joined his father and uncle, Peter and George Lorillard, in the tobacco business. He inherited $200,000 from his uncle, who was a bachelor. (Death of a Millionaire. Daily Cleveland Herald, Oct. 11, 1867.) He was a director of the Hudson River Railroad. (Commercial Affairs. New York Times, Jun. 15, 1858.) Their daughter, Mary Lorillard, married Henry I. Barbey. She died in Paris. Her brother, Pierre Lorillard, was the founder of Tuxedo Park. Their daughter was Mrs. Alfred Seton. (Mrs. M. Lorillard Barbey. New York Times, Apr. 11, 1926.) Mrs. Lorillard's cousin, Frank Gray Griswold, was "an important executive of the Lorillard Tobacco Company from 1879 to 1893." Dorothea Anne Lorillard (1798-1866) married John David Wolfe.

Louis Lasher Lorillard Jr., grandson of Katherine Griswold and Peter Lorillard, graduated from Yale in 1898. His mother was the daughter of Gilbert Livingston Beeckman. He was an engineer with Swasey, Raymond & Page Inc. in Boston. His brother, George Lorillard, graduated from Harvard in 1903. (Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1937-1938, p. 182.) "Unlike most members of his family, Louis L. Lorillard had spent little of his time at Tuxedo Park, N.Y., the colony founded by the late Pierre Lorillard. For many years he had been a summer resident of Newport, R.I." He was a nephew of Rhode Island Governor Livingston Beeckman. His son was Louis Livingston Lorillard. His brother, George L. Lorillard, lived in Paris, France. (Louis S. Lorillard Is Dead in Pomfret. New York Times, May 1, 1938.) Gilbert Livingston Beeckman was a Royal descendant of the Livingstons of Livingston Manor. (Distinguished Families in America, descended from Wilhelmus Beekman and Jan Thomasse Van Dyke. By William Benford Aitken, 1912, p. 25; and: Americans of Royal Descent. By Charles Henry Browning, 1891, p. 165.)

Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1937-1938 / Yale University Library (pdf, 305 pp)

Distinguished Families in America, p. 25 / Google Books

Americans of Royal Descent, p. 165 / Google Books

Frank Gray Griswold

Frank Gray [b.] Griswold was born in New York, but spent much of his youth in Vienna and Dresden, where he graduated from the Handelschule in 1875, and in France and England, where he became a devotee of foxhunting. "A friend of Pierre Lorillard, Mr. Griswold was a director and an important executive of the Lorillard Tobacco Company from 1879 to 1893." He was the son of George Griswold [Jr.] He married Josephine Houghteling, the widow of A. Cass Canfield in 1907, and left three stepchildren, including Cass Canfield, president of Harper & Bros., publishers. (Frank G. Griswold, Noted Sportsman. New York Times, Mar. 31, 1937.) His estate was reimbursed $19,030 for money seized in World War I under the Trading With the Enemy Act. He was trustee for the estate of his mother, Lydia Alley Griswold, who left a life interest in a trust fund to her daughter, Lydia Griswold von Hammerstein, the principal to go to Max von Dziembowiski after her death. (Griswold Estate to Get $19,030. New York Times, May 28, 1938.)

The rich man and the kingdom: John D. Rockefeller, Jr., and the ...

books.google.com Albert F. Schenkel - 1995 - 248 pages - Snippet view

....Rockefeller's favorite Mount Desert Island club was the Pot and Kettle Club of Bar Harbor, which maintained lands for riding and driving around the island; he joined in 1935, and by 1944 its membership included such notables as Walter Lippmann, Harper Sibley, and Yale president James R. Angell." ......

Diplomatic memoirs: serious and frivolous

books.google.com Hallett Johnson - 1963 - 207 pages

....serious and frivolous Hallett Johnson. of giving everything to his job,

skilled ability to deal with foreigners, an extremely attractive personality

and forthright honesty. I am still, at 75, looking for other constructive

work to be done. I will now give in lighter vein an account of our residence

and travels in the United States. We settled in Princeton, which as the

former President of the University, Harold Dodds, remarked, "is the nearest

thing to an American Athens that America has ever had." It was convenient to

be near New York, Philadelphia, and I still could not resist making visits to

Washington. Moreover, my son Hallett lived in Princeton with his lovely wife

Mary Ellen, Jay Cooke's daughter, and their four children: Hallett 3rd, Mary

Glendenning, Livingston and Elizabeth. My son has a fine Revolutionary stone

house and 75 acres.

He runs a three-ring circus as a New York commuter, a farmer and a father.

Each of my daughters has six children. Is immortality given us through our

sixteen grandchildren? The summers we spend in our cottage at Bar Harbor on

Mount Desert Island, which is one of the most beautiful spots in the country

and where the mountains come down to the sea. I served there for some time as

a Governor of the Pot and Kettle and Bar Harbor clubs, which gave me some

room for my restless energy.

The Pot and Kettle is a delightful 60-year-old club limited to 60 men.

Formerly like The Rabbit in Philadelphia members cooked their own meals but

in recent years they have ceased to be culinary experts.

We still, however, wear a chef's cap and gown for the cocktail hour before

our weekly lunches and are not allowed to have a cocktail before we put on

this uniform. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., came but seldom, but it was

remarkable to see him in a and gown. Governor Nelson Rockefeller and another

son, David, are still members. We tried to get the most distinguished

political and other speakers at these luncheons and after the serious part,

stories were told, which were very humorous and not always proper. We found

that the servant question had utterly changed from earlier years. They can

still be had with difficulty but the local people in Maine who are willing to

do this type of work are quaint characters. Fishing in a clear Maine lake,

irrespective of results, is enjoyable, and I sometimes return empty-handed

after a few ....

Guest Tom Scully

Jim,

If Stockholm Priscilla was "mixed" with Priscilla Mary Post Johnson's file in the mid 1950's, in other words, when the records indicate it happened,

the motivation to do it might have been to mask the references (connections) she had that actually resulted in a job offer as a NOC agent, references that were strong enough and sensitive enough to overcome the unfavorable info that was claimed to have made her unsatisfactory.

This maneuver could have been intended to keep bureaucrats inside the agency from asking questions. We already knew that she was known to Trubee Davison and to Cord Meyer. We have her first cousin David described by "reliable" WC witness Sam Ballen in 2001 as being former CIA and David's obit describing him working in intelligence. We have David being the son-in-law of George E. Brewer of OSS.

We need to know more about David Davenport's CIA assignments. If PMPJ's record was tampered with after her 1959 interview of Oswald but before the JFK assassination it seems more likely Angleton had a hand in doing it as insurance to make the scenario the way it is now. She applied, was rejected due to unfavorable baackground, a mistake merging of her file led to a later accidental favorable review of little consequence

because she never was a regular agency asset.

If the merge of her record was fabricated after the assassination, it could have been motivated by an attempt to embarrass the Rockefellers or

Stockholm Priscilla's husband, Thomas F. McCoy, or even his pal Finney and the McCarthy campaign as well. I don't know if it was too late by 1968 to merge her file. I couldn't find anything curious about the third Priscilla and I checked her out thoroughly. I recall there were cellists in her

family and that made me look for a link to the NSA's John Hurt's wife, a cellist named Ana Drittel.

I am still surprised if PMPJ's first cousin David was active CIA and was involved twice publicly with Marina while it was vital to distance Priscilla from CIA connections. I think here inclusion of a photo credit for David C. Davenport in Marina and Lee was a CYA move because there was an

actual news report in December 1964 associating David and Jerome Hastings with Priscilla and Marina.

The McCoy, Finney, and Larry Merthan thing with McCarthy is intriguing to me. Merthan married Rita Chrapowicki who changed her name to Chapowicki before she went to work for Bill Harvey. Rita's sister's nursing position was created by Dr. Burkeley in the early days of JFK administration to push back against the senior status of JFK's prefered civilian doctor, and both nurse Chapowicki and Burkeley stayed at the White House through 1968 and had intimate access. Then promptly when the next democrat wins the presidency, Carter, former CIA secretary Rita Chapowicki Merthan is there almost from the first day, working for Rosalind Carter. Larry was fluent in German and morphed from 8th Air Force bomber navigator to civilian envoy in Stuttgart, comes back home, gets a law degree, and leaves his practive in the late 1950's to participate in a State Dept. education initiative in West Germany for an extended period of time. Rita was working for Harvey. I've read no scenario on how Larry Merthan met her, but I know he was a longtime friend of Gene McCarthy. Stockholm Priscilla's spouse McCoy was the son of David McCoy, democratic party boss of New Haven. With Yale's influence in New Haven, David McCoy had plenty of opportunity to be close to some powerful people in Washington.

There are too many angles, Jim, and the more I look, the more I find to wonder about. Rockefellers won the '68 political shuffle. Humphrey was who they wanted to run against Nixon and all it took was eliminating Gene and Bobby. Don't forget that Finney was Clark Clifford's guy sent on CIA assignments after he was already an experienced lawyer.

What do you suspect and has anything in this answer altered your hunch?

Because his actual name was Lew Garrison Coit, Jr., and he was referred to as Garry Coit, Gary Coit, and in the HSCA or ARRB interview of Priscilla McMillan as Garry Coite, I think if it means anything that the coincidence that Coit and Tom Devine were fraternity house mates was not expected to surface. McMillan represented to the ARRB in 1995 that she recalled she spoke to Coit briefly in 1959 when the actual first encounter with Coit was 30 January, 1964 and lasted 11 hours over that day and the next. I would love a to video her responding to a list of questions when her book is reissued.

Priscilla, why did you tell the HSCA that your father was a concealed suicide? Did you spend much time in the 1960's with Eleanor Thomas Elliott? Did she introduce you to her cousin Clover Dulles Ebsen or her brother-in-law, Osborn Elliott? Did you help Aynesworth to get an offer from Osborn Elliott? Were you telling the HSCA that you believed Eleanor Elliott's brother James Thomas lied to police and to the NY Times concerning the circumstances of your father's death?

Did Sam Ballen testify truthfully to the WC and reliably to you for you book Marina and Lee? Did he reliably say that your

cousin David was CIA? When did you first know that? You misled the WC, HSCA, and the ARRB as to the extent of your CIA contacts. Did you do that to conceal that David was assigned by the CIA to sequester Marina Oswald for you in Santa Fe and in Sedona? It has been reported that Jerome Hastings was your friend and your cousin David's. When did you meet Jerome? Why did he use two different last names? Why does he have no background from 1940 until he picked you and Marina up in Dallas in December, 1964? Are you or David related to the woman Jerome married in 1967, Fredrika Tuttle?

Her sister's name is Helen Davenport Tuttle Votichenko. Were you acquainted with Marguerite McAdams or Arthur Shackler? Was Jerome hasty really married to Marguerite McAdams? Why were your cousin David and Jerome Hasty accused of forcing the commitment of Marguerite's daugther Joan in July, 1965 to a mental hospital? Was a forced commitment on the table as an option six months earlier, with regard to Marina, when David and Jerome Hasty were given access to Marina Oswald in Fall, 1964?

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Tom Scully

Let me see if I get this:

Then, what you are saying is you think that Prisicllla was actually employed as an NCO and being run by Davenport and Ballen for the control of Marina after the Secret Service separates her from Ruth Paine?

And then her file was messed with in order to confuse this matter by Angleton?

But we do not know when the actual interference with the file took place.

The last, to me, is an important point.

A key is to determine when the Priscilla file was merged wtih Priscilla Livingston's OSS file, and that may not be

possible to do. Consider that Davenport's father-in-law Brewer was the OSS head of the American Legation in Stockholm.

He was in a position to know Priscilla Livingston Johnson's father and that PLJ had worked in OSS.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3908&page=4entry272447

Always like to point out that about six months before Oswald arrived in Helsinki, Finland, Richard Helms, Whitney Shepardson and others were meeting about what Wilho Tykander (former WWII OSS Station Chief to Stockholm Sweeden) would describe as an off the grid covert action centered on Helsinki.

Were these men talking about Oswald's defection to the Soviet Union? I belive it is possible that they were!

Jim Root

Oss - Page 183 - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=1599216582

Richard Harris Smith - 1972

PriscillaBrewerTikanderJimRoot.jpg

The Norwegian armed forces and defense policy, 1905-1955 - Page 377

books.google.com/books?id=uz4hAQAAIAAJ

David G. Thompson - 2004 - Snippet viewIn 1943, Colonel George S. Brewer of the OSS developed plans for guerrilla operations in Norway, involving the 99th ... The SOE and OSS established a combined section in London in September of that year, and in January 1944 the two . .....

No, I am not partial to the alternative track that post assassination, Davenport and Ballen were working together. If Ballen was not exhibiting a touch of dementia by mentioning his friendly relations with Davenport and Davenport's CIA past in Ballen's 2001 book, then Ballen was pretty confident his own history with DeMohrenschildt and Oswald was impenetrable, or he was trying to discredit Priscilla or just name dropping to make his book more interesting. I was trying only to highlight the problems associated with some witnesses the WC served up in its report. Do we believe Priscilla's or Ballen's WC testimony and her spin in Marina and Lee but not Priscilla's belief shared with the HSCA that her father had help concealing his suicide or Ballen's publication of cousin Davenport's CIA past?

Priscilla's rather frantic efforts to telephone and telegraph Marina and when that did not succeed, showing up at Marina's doorstep without her prior consent and Davenport's insertion in autumn, 1964, seems what would be expected of people believing they have been set up and are trying to do damage control. Davenport was a guy going through a divorce involving four children and he had moved to Alaska in early 1964. In 1966, his ex-wife married a guy who worked for the Bureau of Mines in Anchorage.

I can see first cousin Davenport and his OSS father-in-law secretly helping to recruit Priscilla in the early 1950's but probably Garry Coit met with her so soon after the assassination (January, 1964) as part of a process to assess what to do about her. The 11 hours of discussion with Coit probably led to Priscilla being advised to keep up the pretense she was a journalist and it would be helpful if she got close to Marina but she was on her own if she was noticed broadening her initial contact with Oswald which on its own could be defended as happenstance on 1 February, 1964.

The merging of her file if it happened in 1958 or earlier has the appearance of Angleton's hand on it. Her moves after the assassination and her 11 hours with Coit that she did not remember by 1995 and the clumsy involvement of Davenport and his buddy Jerome with Marina seems like wreckless career related ambition the non-Angleton (broader) elements of the CIA would have hoped would result in learning more about the Oswald couple.

Maybe by summer, 1964 Priscilla regretted not walking away instead of doubling down by linking herself closely with Marina, and Davenport realized he had no choice but to make the best of the consequences of her bad decisions because the risk had increased that she would exposed as CIA in 1959 and his name would be dragged in. Or maybe Davenport knew he had worked for Angleton. I doubt Priscilla would know she worked for Angleton.

Davenport was Princeton and Columbia Law. Why would he let himself be publicly named using Jerome Hasty to

shepherd Priscilla and Marina and for helping to involuntarily commit Hasty's step-daughter in mid-1965? Hasty / Hastings is as odd as William L. Mitchell was before last August. I find no apparent reason for him to be acceptable to Fredrika Tuttle Blair as a new husband in 1967 except that he was Davenport's trusted friend. Hasty had one year at an unknown college and no personal background except for long use of two different last names and a low key marriage to a woman who was 18 years older than him who he once lodged with near Chicago.

Read Arthur Sackler's obit. I just found out that Bill Luers succeeded Macomber as President of the Met. Museum of Art. Sackler and his brothers gave a combined $5 million to the Met. Macomber and Luers had identical State Dept. and probably CIA backgrounds. The Met. had 1000 employees when Macomber took over in the late 70's and 2200 when Luers left in 1990. Sackler and the Met's huge staff seem to exist to provide plenty of cover for world travel.

Hasty's "wife" was the widow of William Douglas McAdams the advert. executive who made Arthur Sackler and a monopoly on nutritional and medical marketing.

Pain Killer: A "Wonder" Drug's Trail of Addiction and Death - Page 194

....At the time, he headed the country's largest advertising agency devoted to the marketing of pharmaceuticals, William Douglas McAdams in New York City. But the agency was only the most visible symbol of Sackler's dominance of the....

Edited by Tom Scully

John M. Newman spent 20 years with the U.S. Army Intelligence.

Newman is, without doubt, a heavy hitter. Has he, or will he be, joining the forum?

His next book has been reported as entitled "JFK and Cuba." Any word on a publisher or a publication date?

As far as I know John has abandoned this project. Maybe he will take it up again some day. I think he wanted to devote more time to his family and his job as a teacher. I haven't seen him in years. The last time I saw him was at Archives II. I believe I was there with Malcolm Blunt, Ed Sherry and another friend and we all saw John at another table going through documents. This was more than 10 years ago. John mentioned he had a new grandson, if I remember right, who was about 1 year old at the time.

I have a blog where I'm transcribing all the presentations that John Newman gave. Eventually, I will have it linked with the documents he used in his presentations. If you know of a presentation that John made that I do not have a transcript of please let me know about it. And, if possible please send me a videotape, DVD, or audio recording of it and I will transcribe it and put it up as soon as I can. Thanks.

The Presentations of John Newman.

Guest Tom Scully

Let me see if I get this:

Then, what you are saying is you think that Prisicllla was actually employed as an NCO and being run by Davenport and Ballen for the control of Marina after the Secret Service separates her from Ruth Paine?

And then her file was messed with in order to confuse this matter by Angleton?

But we do not know when the actual interference with the file took place.

The last, to me, is an important point.

A key is to determine when the Priscilla file was merged wtih Priscilla Livingston's OSS file, and that may not be

possible to do. Consider that Davenport's father-in-law Brewer was the OSS head of the American Legation in Stockholm.

He was in a position to know Priscilla Livingston Johnson's father and that PLJ had worked in OSS.

...... Jim, I abbreviated my original reply to your questions but now I've found some coincidences influencing me to suspect Priscilla Johnson's first cousin David C. Davenport was directly involved in recruiting her in the early 1950's. I'll lay out what I found in the next couple of posts and readers can decide if it is more of an aid or a hindrance in determining how Johnson McMillan came to link up with Oswald in Moscow in 1959 and her and her cousin David Davenport commenced close relations with Oswald's widow in 1964.

After putting all of these pieces together I think it goes without saying that intelligence gathering requires non-official cover, plausible excuses to attempt to pass off the presence of foreign nationals found in places they are not expected to be in, performing activities seemingly suspicious under the circumstances. Did the old spies of WWI recruit and guide a WWII and post WWII cadre of Sante Fe spies? Did David Davenport spend a day in early February,1960 with Ambassador Paul Koht because the two men had Folk Art of their minds? How soon did Sam Ballen start spending time in Sante Fe? It seems a steaming pile that both David Davenport's first cousin Priscilla and Samuel Ballen both were acquainted with the rather obscure Lee Harvey Oswald by January, 1963. It is remarkable that the "father of Denali Park," Charles Alexander Sheldon seems

to have been able to conceal his WWI activities on behalf of the Office of Naval Intelligence as successfully as he seems to have done.

It is beyond my abilities to say much more about these details or to draw conclusions without learning more. This is a work in progress.

Anchorage Daily News : Letters from the people

Anchorage Daily News - Jun 20, 2004
Medred cites Rod Wilson as his authority for challenging the name "Denali." Rod was talking about the Dena'ina name. They lived south of the mountain.

Princeton Alumni Weekly - Volume 64 - Page vii

books.google.com/books?id=ohRbAAAAYAAJ

And serving as executive vice-prcsident of newly formed Alaska State Development Corp. is Dave Davenport who finds that the interesting work of helping to stimulate economic development ... His landlord incidentally, is our own Rod Wilson

http://www.charlessheldon.org./bio.htm

THE FATHER OF DENALI NATIONAL PARK

Charles Alexander Sheldon as born on October 17, 1867 into a hard-working family involved in marble quarrying and manufacturing. Sheldon attended Andover and graduated from Yale in 1890, the year the family business collapsed. Through family contacts he was hired as assistant superintendent of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad. From there he moved to Mexico and in 1898 became general manager of the Chihuahua and Pacific Railroad. He invested in the Chihuahua and Pacific Exploration Company, developers of Potasi, one of the richest silver and lead mines in Mexico. In just four short years this investment secured Sheldon's financial future and he retired at age 35....

.....His first book, The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon, detailed his sheep hunting experiences in the Yukon Territory in 1904 and 1905.

Sheldon, self-effacing to a fault, cared deeply about nature, wildlife, hunting and family, but seldom spoke of himself. Throughout his life he preferred to be called Sheldon, or “Billie.” (After World War I some people referred to him as “Colonel Sheldon,” a title which embarrassed him.) “Sheldon was personally a most attractive man. He possessed great sweetness of nature and was friendly, frank, and forthright.” His friends included Theodore Roosevelt, George Bird Grinnell, Gifford Pinchot, Carl Rungius, Wilfred H. Osgood, Raold Amundsen, Alexander Graham Bell, and Admiral Byrd.

Sheldon’s love of his “noble and splendid” mountain sheep eventually led him to Alaska in search of Dall sheep, the least known of the four North American species. In late June, 1906, in Fairbanks Alaska, Judge James A. Wickersham introduced Sheldon to Harry Karstens, whom he promptly hired for his expedition into the Mt. McKinley region.....

The Archaeologist was a Spy: Sylvanus G. Morley and the Office of ... - Page 46 - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=0826329373
2003 - History
The archaeologist's case officer would be Charles Alexander Sheldon, ONI Agent No. 246, the "Taro Yamamoto" to whom Morley would address his reports from ...

http://archaeologybulletin.org/article/view/bha.2123/535

Spying by American Archaeologists in World War I

(with a minor linkage to the development of the Society for American Archaeology)

David L. Browman Washington University, St. Louis.

I am interested in detailing two aspects linked to the issue of several archaeologists working for the U.S. Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) during the First World War. These spying activities were part of the controversy surrounding the censure of Franz Boas by the American Anthropological Association (AAA) for his published letter of October 1919, in which Boas claimed that four unnamed researchers were involved in espionage activities using archaeological research as a front. As they were unnamed, who were these four archaeologists?

A recent work by Charles Harris and Louis Sadler listing ONI agents during the war includes nine individuals (2003: 371–379) who conducted archaeological research as a 'cover' while simultaneously carrying out intelligence gathering for the ONI. All potential candidates for these four unnamed agents comprise: Theodoor de Booy (Agent 141), Thomas Gann (Agent 242), John Held (Agent 154), Samuel Lothrop (Agent 173), J. Alden Mason (Agent 157), William Mechling (Agent 52), Sylvanus Morley (Agent 53), Wilson Popenoe (Agent 219), and H. Joseph Spinden (Agent 56). As well, in addition to the spying issue, I also want to follow one nearly fortuitous thread to do with this event, that contributed to the formation of the Society for American Archaeology.

World War I and American Archaeological Espionage

While Boas did not publish the names of the four archaeologists, we can make a reasonable guess about who they were. The following is a very brief summary of the field activities, during the First World War, of all of the nine archaeologists listed as ONI agents, with the four most likely to be those accused of spying by Boas discussed first.

William Hubbs Mechling (1888–1953) received his A.M. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1910. He went as the Hispanic Society of America 'Fellow', as one of the half-dozen student researchers to participate in the International School of American Archaeology and Ethnology in México City, in its second year of operation in 1911–12, when Boas served as its director. Mechling received his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1917, and was then hired by the Field Museum in Chicago. Because of his 'reserve officer' status, he was called up to satisfy various wartime obligations before he assumed his duties at the museum. Mechling was commissioned as an ONI agent and quickly recruited his friend J. Alden Mason.

John Alden Mason (1885–1967) received his Ph.D. from the University of California – Berkeley in 1911.....

....Mechling and Mason then went to Mexico and requested permits to work in the Yucatan, ostensibly to collect for the Field Museum. Utilizing the cover of doing archaeology, they began espionage work for ONI. But Mechling was not cut out for the spying business. He immediately ran into trouble, was arrested, and thrown in jail. Mason contacted Gamio and they managed to get Mechling released from jail. But because Mason blew his cover by getting help from Gamio, the ONI recalled and disenrolled Mechling and Mason in September, so the pair had less than six months of disastrous careers as spies (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 50–53).....

.....I have reconstructed the following correspondence sequence between Gamio, Boas, and others, in the summer of 1917. In July, Gamio wrote to Boas about the arrest, noting that Mason and Mechling had applied for permission to conduct archaeological work in the Yucatan. Gamio thought that they were working for both the Field Museum in Chicago and the Peabody Museum at Harvard. Boas wrote to Berthold Laufer at the Field Museum to ask what Mason was doing. Laufer replied that Mason had been granted leave from the Field Museum to work on a political mission for the government. Laufer indicated that the archaeological project was an intelligence cover, but asked Boas not to tell Gamio. Boas wrote Alfred Tozzer to find out how the Peabody Museum was involved, but Tozzer replied that because of confidentiality, he could not comment. Later in August, Laufer told Boas that Mechling had been hired to begin work in July, but had contacted Laufer saying that he had to delay the start of his position because of previous military commitments. Laufer also indicated his intention to pass these details on to Gamio. Whether Laufer did so is unclear, but Boas wrote Gamio, saying that Mason and Mechling were not working for the Field Museum, but were acting as government agents. Gamio replied, indicating surprise, and noted that he had offered Mechling a job at the National Museum in Mexico City when he had come in April, but Mechling had declined, and Mechling and Mason had then gone to the Yucatan.

In addition to corresponding with Gamio, Boas wrote to Ezekiel A. Chavez, a Mexican colleague and an official working high up in the Mexican government, and who had been involved with him in the formation of the International School, to denounce the espionage activities of Mason and Mechling. Chavez wrote back in September, asking Boas to return to Mexico, to help stop this kind of endeavor by U.S. researchers. Boas wrote to Aurelio M. Espinoza, Snr., who was a Mexican folklore specialist then at Stanford University, who had advised Boas and Mason on folklore research in Oaxaca for the International School and on their later project in Puerto Rico. And Boas also complained to other colleagues around the country, for example, writing to Robert H. Lowie at Berkeley in December 1917, saying that he had determined that in addition to Mechling and Mason, Sylvanus Morley and Joseph Spinden were spying for the American war effort in Latin America (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 285–287).

Sylvanus Griswold Morley (1883–1948) completed his A.M. at Harvard in 1908, and continued graduate work through 1909, but never finished his Ph.D. Morley was hired by the Carnegie Institution of Washington (CIW) in 1914 to head their new program on Mayan archaeology. He was a member of the Cosmos Club in Washington D.C. and when the war began, he was approached by fellow club associate Charles Alexander Sheldon, Chief of Naval Operations, (probably inaccurate) to provide a list of anthropologists who possibly could be recruited as agents (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 46, 48). Morley was commissioned as an officer in the Naval Reserves, and was in charge of searching for German submarine bases, combating pro-German activities, and organizing an intelligence network to cover the coast of Central America.

Herbert Joseph Spinden (1879–1967) obtained his Ph.D. in 1909 at Harvard. Following graduation, he took a position at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), where in 1915 he began a five-year project in Central America. Morley wrote to the AMNH in April 1917, asking them to send Spinden to work with him. Spinden continued his archaeological explorations while working for the ONI. The AMNH was pleased with his activities, and in March 1918 they instructed him to continue working for Morley and the ONI for another year (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 109). When Central America was divided into five information gathering sections by the ONI in April 1918, Spinden was assigned Section 3, El Salvador and the Pacific coast of Honduras and Nicaragua. In November his area was expanded to cover Panama and Colombia as well (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 270), suggesting that Spinden was an effective agent and informant.

The research institutions to which these archaeologists were associated knew of the collaboration of their personnel with the ONI. CIW paid Morley the difference between his ONI and Carnegie salaries (Brunhouse, 1971: 115), and the AMNH and Field Museum did the same for their personnel. Neither Morley's nor Spinden's associations with the military were secret, both having been publically, and often, seen wearing Naval uniforms, and their participation was well-known to the stateside anthropological community. For example, during the summer and fall of 1918, when Morley was back in the U.S. recovering from malaria, he visited anthropologists in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, Kansas City, and Santa Fe, and a 'noteworthy aspect of this journey was that Morley traveled in uniform' (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 266). However when he was in Central America, 'Morley conspicuously maintained his archaeological cover' (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 240). The ONI ultimately deployed about three dozen agents and sub-agents in Central America, and a close reading of Harris and Sadler suggests that Morley may have recruited over two dozen of them, accomplishing his ONI orders to organize an espionage network. The field 'cover', along with the fact that Morley recruited so many of his fellow archaeologists, no doubt contributed to Harris and Sadler's hyperbole (2003: xiii, 315) that 'Morley was arguably the finest American spy of World War I', and that he ran 'arguably the best American intelligence network in World War I'.

There has been considerable confusion about the exact number, and the identity, of the archaeological ONI agents in past discussions. Because Boas reported that he knew of four such individuals, most discipline historians have only sought to identify four archaeologists as agents. But because there were more than four archaeologists so involved, as can be seen from the list made by Harris and Sadler, it is not surprising that the particular archaeologist identified as being one of the four has varied depending on the author. Morley and Spinden are almost always named. Mason and Mechling are usually, but not always, included as the other two. While there is no overarching uniformity among the identification of the others, one noted expert, David Price, who has written extensively on anthropologists spying during the latter part of the twentieth century, included Samuel Lothrop along with Morley and Spinden, in a list of three individuals (Price, 2000: 24, 2003: 33).

Samuel Kirkland Lothrop, Jr. (1892–1965) alternated between living in Massachusetts and in Puerto Rico as a child, because his father had business interests in Puerto Rico. Lothrop entered graduate school at Harvard in 1915, and was named the Peabody Museum research associate for Central America, getting to know Morley from his fieldwork there, as well as from his membership in the Cosmos Club. Morley sent Lothrop a telegram in Honduras in April 1917 asking Lothrop to leave his field project and meet in him in Washington D.C., where Lothrop then was commissioned and joined John Held as one of Morley's first civilian agents (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 60, 63). His wife, Rachel Warren Lothrop, was also commissioned as a civilian agent (Agent S-32), and was ONI's only female overseas field agent (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 189, 201). When Central America was divided into five ONI information gathering sections, Lothrop was assigned Section 2, the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua, although he was soon transferred to Section 1, Costa Rica. Interestingly, Lothrop employed Mayan hieroglyphs to encode his espionage materials. Later in 1918, Lothrop resigned his position as civilian agent and joined military intelligence (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 180–181, 212). Archaeological survey and collecting was part of the cover used not only by the ONI agent employees from the CIW and AMNH, but the Lothrops also continued archaeological fieldwork while functioning as agents, part of which was included by Sam in his 1921 Ph.D.

John Held, Jr., (1889–1958) was a museum artist from Salt Lake City who came to New York City in 1912, and became friends with Spinden through archaeological illustration work at the AMNH. In 1916 Held met Morley at the Archaeological Institute of America's school in Santa Fe. Morley offered Held a position as archaeological artist on the CIW's 1917 expedition to Central America, and when Morley moved over to work for the ONI, he brought Held with him as one of his civilian sub-agents (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 51, 62). Held purportedly was hired by the CIW to study Maya art forms, but his real job was to sketch the coastline and scout for military operations. Held and Morley were given responsibility for ONI Section 4, the Caribbean coast of Honduras (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 180).

Thomas Francis William Gann (1867–1938) was appointed as British district medical officer in British Honduras (Belize) in 1894, and served for next three decades, retiring in 1923. He began exploring Maya ruins as soon as he arrived in Central America. As an amateur archaeologist, he also worked with Morley, accompanying him on several expeditions (Wallace, 2010: 25). During the war, he became one of Morley's most important ONI sub-agents, and he conducted his intelligence work while using the cover of being an archaeologist with research funds from both the Heye Foundation and the CIW. During this period he was employed as an agent by both the American and British governments (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 37, 162, 240).

The ethnobotanist Frederick Wilson Popenoe (1892–1975) met Morley at the Cosmos Club in Washington D.C., where they were both members. He began his ONI stint as an associate of the Peabody Museum, ostensibly working on the evaluation of archaeological resources on their behalf as an 'Agricultural Explorer', first under the official aegis of the Department of Agriculture, and then for the University of California, Berkeley. He collected intelligence in the Andean republics as well as throughout Central America (Harris and Sadler, 2003: 136, 302).......

The Censure Controversy at the AAA, and the NRC Actions

Boas's letter (see quote below) charging four archaeologists with spying resulted in his censure by the AAA. Among the factors contributing to this action was the level of patriotism being exhibited by the anthropological community.....

......But in the quarter century from 1890 to 1914, immigration came primarily from southern and eastern Europe, and more than ten percent of the new immigrants were Jewish. Leonard Dinnerstein (1994: 58, 77) argues that the Jewish component of the new immigrants were particularly discriminated against during the 'Red Scare' because of their presumed association with Bolshevism, due to the popularity of socialist ideologies in eastern Europe.

Into this context we have the letter by Franz Boas, 'Scientists as Spies', dated October 16, 1919, and published in The Nation. Most relevant to our discussion, Boas wrote (1919b: 797):

'A person, however, who uses science as a cover for political spying, who demeans himself to pose before a foreign government as an investigator and asks for assistance in his alleged researches in order to carry on, under this cloak, his political machinations, prostitutes sciences in an unpardonable way and forfeits the right to be classed as a scientist.'

'By accident, incontrovertible proof has come to my hands that at least four men, who carry on anthropological work, while employed as government agents, introduced themselves to foreign governments as representatives of scientific institutions in the United States, and as sent out for the purpose of carrying on scientific researches. They have not only shaken the belief in the truthfulness of science, but they have also done the greatest possible disservice to scientific inquiry. In consequence of their acts every nation will look with distrust upon the visiting foreign investigator who wants to do honest work, suspecting sinister designs.'

The American anthropological community already knew about the activities that Boas was describing here. The accused archaeologists had contributed to the successful war effort, and were viewed by many as patriots and heroes for having helped win the war. They were friends and colleagues from the AMNH, CIW, Field Museum, Peabody Museum, University Museum, and academic departments.

As noted above, Boas had known about this 'spying' and he had communicated his feelings about it to various anthropologists, for more than two years prior to this fateful letter, so it might appear disingenuous of him to write in October 1919 implying this had just come to his attention – if we ignore the possible political strategy related to disciplinary conflicts. Boas had made no secret about his own vigorous German sympathies during the war – for example, see his strongly pro-German letter in the New York Times (Boas, 1916). In fact, as Harris and Sadler argue (2003: 287):

'What is clear is that Franz Boas did everything he could to blow Mason and Mechling's cover, which, along with their own indiscretion, helps to explain why their mission failed so miserably. But Boas by no means confined himself to exposing Mason and Mechling.'

Harris and Sadler then provide details of Boas's other actions in 1917 trying to derail this aspect of the American government's war effort, such as writing about it to Mexican colleagues and officials as well as to U.S. anthropologists.

http://archive.archaeology.org/0305/reviews/spy.html

by David H. Price

A Harvard-trained archaeologist Sylvanus Morley was not only one of the most respected scholars of the early twentieth century (the museum at the Maya site of Tikal is named after him)--he was also "the best secret agent the United States produced during World War I," according to a new book by historians Charles Harris and Louis Sadler. Drawing on a wealth of archival materials, the authors have chronicled Morley's exploits in The Archaeologist Was a Spy: Sylvanus G. Morley and the Office of Naval Intelligence (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2003; $32.50), a fascinating detective story that reveals how some twentieth-century archaeologists worked covertly with intelligence agencies.

During the First World War, Sylvanus was just one of several archaeologists who used their positions as cover to search for German operatives in wartime Central America. Morley supervised a dozen sub-agents and traversed two thousand miles of remote Central American coastline hunting for secret German submarine bases--occasionally conducting makeshift archaeological surveys as he traveled.

The Archaeologist Was a Spy captures the frontier aspects of early twentieth-century Central America and describes how Morley faced serious dangers, narrowly escaping being shot by soldiers and civilians and suffering the effects of endemic diseases such as malaria. While they found no German submarine bases, Morley and others did collect intelligence on local political attitudes and trends. Morley alone produced nearly ten thousand pages of intelligence reports documenting everything from detailed descriptions of navigable shoreline features tailored for military use to the economic impact of the Yucatán's socialist revolutionary Salvador Alvarado's control of sisal (used to bind hay bales) on International Harvester's United States operations.

This complex story also reveals how America's intelligence agencies worked not only with organizations like Washington, D.C.'s Cosmos Club (an elite recruiting ground for gentlemen spies) and corporations like the United Fruit Company but also with the Carnegie Institution and the American Museum of Natural History, which provided cover and an air of legitimacy for archaeologist-spies.

While general readers and scholars alike will find this a fascinating book, many archaeologists will be made uneasy by the authors' lack of concern over the ethical issues raised by Morley's espionage, particularly since reports of archaeologist-spies who operated in the past could threaten the safety of archaeologists today. The authors appear unaware of the dangers and difficulties faced by contemporary archaeologists who find themselves suspected of spying, and their endorsements of Morley's duplicity adds to an already dangerous climate.

That said, this is an important book that breaks through the well-maintained silence surrounding the historic connections between anthropology and espionage and should be read by a wide audience

The Archaeologist was a Spy: Sylvanus G. Morley and the Office of Naval Intel... - Page 80

books.google.com/books?isbn=0826329373

He was also an able diplomat. Morley, whose good friend he was, had nothing but admiration for Long's abilities, declaring him to be the best American diplomat in Central America. Since El Salvador was a hotbed of anti-American sentiment, .....

PriscillaDavenportFolkArtBoazMorley.jpg

books.google.com/books?isbn=0826344240
Janet Chapman - 2008 - Preview

But the atmosphere of hope abruptly evaporated when Morley passed away from a sudden heart attack on September 2, 1948. All who knew Morley mourned him. Chap was devastated and, at the new museum complex, the loss of Morley

PriscillaDavenportBoazMorleyFolkArt1953.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Dibell_Bartlett

Florence Dibell Bartlett (1881–1953) was a Chicago heiress and folk art collector, who is best known for founding the Museum of International Folk Art (MOIFA) in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, the world's first international folk art museum. The museum was founded to express her belief that folk art is a bond between the people of the world.[1]

The museum opened to the public in 1953 and has gained national and international recognition as the home to the world’s largest collection of folk art. Its collection of more than 135,000 artifacts is divided into four exhibition wings: Bartlett, Girard, Hispanic Heritage, and Neutrogena.[1]

Bartlett was the daughter of Adophus Bartlett, a wealthy partner in a large wholesale hardware business in Chicago that became part of True Value Hardware. Florence Bartlett's sister, Maie Bartlett Heard, was co-founder of the Heard Museum in Phoenix.[1]

Florence Bartlett had a winter home, El Mirador, in Alcalde, New Mexico, near Los Luceros, the home of Mary Cabot Wheelwright, founder of the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian, also in Santa Fe. Bartlett gave her Alcalde house and property to the State of New Mexico, as part of her gift that founded MOIFA.[1]

The Bartlett Wing,[2] named in honor of the museum's founder, has two galleries with rotating exhibits from the museum's collection and gathered in field studies of specific cultures or art forms. Focuses in the Bartlett wing have ranged from Turkish, Tibetan and Swedish traditions, to New Deal-era New Mexican art.[1]

http://newspaperarchive.com/santa-fe-new-mexican/1960-02-07/page-17

7 February, 1960

PriscillaDavenportKohtNorwayFeb1960.jpg

ALLIES DISTURBED; Some Limit the Use of Fields as Soviet...

New York Times - May 10, 1960

Paul Koht, the Norwegian Ambassador, called on Secretary of State Christian A. Herter this afternoon for assurances that the U-2 plane downed in the Soviet

MAYDAY: Eisenhower, Khrushchev, and the U-2 affair - Page 268

books.google.com/books?isbn=0060155655
Michael R. Beschloss - 1986 - Snippet view - More editions

Norway made the same assertion: for the record, Ambassador Paul Koht lodged an official protest at the State Department. Herter privately assured him that Washington would stick by its promise and claim that Oslo "knew nothing about this....

MISS EL BREWER WED IN ELMSFORD; She Is Attended by Seven...

New York Times - Dec 20, 1942
19 -- The marriage of Miss Effie Leighton Brewer, daughter of Major George Emerson Brewer, US.., ... Daniel T. Kelly of Santa Fe was best man for Mr. Davenport.

Kelly Jr., Bud (Daniel T.) - Santa Fe Living Treasures

www.sflivingtreasures.org/index.php/.../32-kelly-bud-daniel-t.html‎
Bud (Daniel T.) Kelly Jr. was born in 1921 to a prominent and historically ... Santa Fe Prep, First National Bank, and the International Folk Art Foundation, among ..
Boaz Long, President Mr. Frank C. Rand, Jr., Vice President Mr. Daniel T. Kelly, Secretary-Treasurer EXECUTIVE ... INTERNATIONAL FOLK ART FOUNDATION Mr. David Davenport, President Mr. Ward Curtis Mr. John Gaw Mcem, Vice

Annual Report - Page 6

books.google.com/books?id=zCEQAQAAMAAJ

Boaz Long, President Mr. Frank C. Rand, Jr., Vice President Mr. Daniel T. Kelly, Secretary-Treasurer EXECUTIVE ... Folk Art Foundation Mr. David Davenport, President Mr. Ward Curtis Mr. John Gaw Meem, Vice President Mrs. Joseph ...

Handbook of research and policy in art education - Page 62

books.google.com/books?isbn=0805849726
Elliot W. Eisner, Michael D. Day - 2004 - Preview - More editions

This initiative motivated John D. Rockefeller Jr. to support the establishment of The School for American Research (White, 2001).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_for_Advanced_Research

The School for Advanced Research on the Human Experience (SAR), until 2007 known as the School of American Research and originally founded in 1907 as the School for American Archaeology (SAA), is an advanced research center located in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.

....Hewett led the School and Museum until his death in 1946 at age 82. A 20-year period of relative inactivity followed. The School continued to pursue archaeological research projects on a modest scale. It was headed, successively, by Sylvanus Morley, Boaz Long, Wayne L. Mauzy, Edward Weyer, Jr., and Eugene McCluney. This transition period ended in 1959, when the State Legislature formally separated the Museum of New Mexico from the School. The School of American Research was gutted, left with a staff of two and an uncertain future.....

John Gaw Meem: Southwestern Architect - Page 71

books.google.com/books?isbn=0826306713
Bainbridge Bunting - 1983 - Snippet view - More editions

The two most successful of the late Spanish-Pueblo houses, both situated in the delightful Brownell-Howland neighborhood, were designed for Bishop and Mrs. Everett Jones in 195 1 and Mrs. McHarg Davenport in 1958. Meem recalled the ....

http://www.newmexicohistory.org/filedetails.php?fileID=9972

Meem, John Gaw by David Kammer

....While many architects and builders became versed in the vocabulary of these Spanish-Pueblo building traditions, no one embraced them more broadly or sensitively as to their historic roots and spirit than John Gaw Meem (1894-1983).....

....More immediate to Meem’s future work was the contact he had with Santa Fe residents who also visited and had become committed to preserving the picturesque and historic character of the small city of 10,000. Sometimes described as a “conservative-conservationist” group, they consisted of diverse, civic-minded individuals, some who had relocated for health or other reasons, and found the older aspects of the city picturesque and romantic. Drawn to Santa Fe, in part, because of similar sentiments, the group included businessmen Daniel T. Kelly, photographer and painter Carlos Vierra, and architect Issac Hamilton Rapp. Conversant in a broad range of architectural styles, Rapp pioneered what is now termed the Santa Fe or Spanish-Pueblo Revival style (Sheppard 1988: 73-100). Incorporating the suggestions of some of the more ardent conservationists within the group, Rapp designed both the main building at Sunmount and the Gross Kelly Almacen (Gross, Blackwell & Company Building), the first commercial building employing the style, in 1914. Over the next six years his subsequent projects included the New Mexico Building at San Diego’s California-Pacific International Exposition (1915), the Fine Arts Museum of New Mexico (1916), which had first caught Meem’s eye in New York, and La Fonda Hotel (1920).

Also involved in shaping Santa Fe’s future were several archaeologists. Senior among them was Edgar Lee Hewett, a key proponent of the Act for the Preservation of Antiquities created in 1906. A year later, he successfully convinced the Archaeology Institute of America to locate its field school, the School of American Archaeology (renamed the School of American Research in 1917) in Santa Fe. Conducting a field school a year earlier, Hewett had met some 20 young, aspiring archaeologists. From these he selected two, Sylvanus Morley and Jesse Nusbaum, as well as Indian pottery authority Kenneth Chapman, husband of Kate Chapman, an early restorer of Santa Fe’s adobe residences, to be his staff at the new field school. Over the next several years Hewett and his colleagues fought to save the Palace of the Governors from demolition in 1909 and then participated in the Nusbaum-led restoration of the building that culminated in the New-Old Santa Fe Exhibit held at the restored Palace in 1912 (Bunting 1983: 7). The restoration and exhibit signaled a new direction for Santa Fe, preparing the way for Rapp’s revivalist buildings.....

The archaeology of Colorado - Page 291

books.google.com/books?id=ClHzAAAAMAAJ
E. Steve Cassells - 1997 - Snippet view - More editions

When John D. Rockefeller Jr. offered to donate money to the School for American Research, Hewett tried to implement his own ideas, counter to Rockefeller's, but did not succeed. He died 31 December 1946 in Albuquerque.

Without Reservations: From Harlem to the End of the Santa Fe Trail - Page 177

Samuel B. Ballen - 2001 - Snippet view

contractor named Cox for the Republican nomination for governor. Mamontov tripped on his confused command of English. He was trying to enthuse a gathering of supporters for Jack Creighton. Mamontov highlighted his speech by saying,...

Santa Fe Living Treasures: Our Elders, Our Hearts - Page 30

books.google.com/books?isbn=0865347204

With his college degree, however, Sam set his sights on Wall Street, and succeeded as a stock analyst. Ethel, meanwhile, began mothering what would eventually become a family of six daughters. In time the Ballens moved to Dallas, and grew wealthy in the oil business. A significant milestone came when Sam became the first Jewish member of the exclusive Dallas Petroleum Club. In Texas they learned to love the Indian art and culture of the Southwest. They frequently visited Santa Fe, which they also came to love. After a unanimous family vote in 1967, the Ballens made Santa Fe their permanent home. They came with no set plans for their new life in New Mexico, but upon learning in 1968 that La Fonda on the Plaza, the landmark "Inn at the End of the Santa Fe Trail," was for sale, they bought it. Although the city's most historically significant .....

Without Reservations: From Harlem to the End of the Santa Fe Trail - Page 227

Samuel B. Ballen - 2001 - Snippet view
one-year note kept by the Railroad. We had an obligation to spend $250,000 that first year on improvements.

When Elecrical Log was liquidated, the La Fonda stock was distributed to the Electrical Log shareholders. We then made all kinds of managerial errors and stumbled and groped thorough an environment where on some days this entire complex did not gross more than $800.

There were electric panels functioning with copper pennies instead of fuses and sinks in the kitchen not connected to plumbing drains.

To get things rolling, we announced a $300,000 intrastate offering of convertible debentures.

We required a financial statement. Next door to my office in Sena Plaza was the Registered Public Accountant, James Gaskin, the former manager of the Trinchera Ranch in southern Colorado lying between Mount Blanca and Culebra Peak.Gaskin kept promising his audited statements, but two days before the Prospectus was to go to the printers, he came in and pleaded that he didn't know how to audit Corporacion. So I told him he had to accept our internally prepared statement and sign it, and that is just what he did. Arthur Quinn bought the first convertible debenture, then John Gaw Meem and then Pauline Pollack, but it hit a stone wall and the subscriptions came up to only $30,000. I was embarrassed to report this to the board of directors, so I bought the rest of the offering myself.

Archives Accessions Annual - Page 38

books.google.com/books?isbn=0887364209
William L. Joyce - 1988 - Snippet view

MUSEUM OF NEW MEXICO LABORATORY OF ANTHROPOLOGY (M10127) Camino Lejo Santa Fe, NM 87504 ... Contains correspondence from J.D. Rockefeller Jr., A.V. Kidder, Sylvanus Griswold Morley and others concerning the Lab.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_for_Advanced_Research

The School for Advanced Research on the Human Experience (SAR), until 2007 known as the School of American Research and originally founded in 1907 as the School for American Archaeology (SAA), is an advanced research center located in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.

The AIA, founded in Boston in 1879, had schools in Athens, Rome, and Palestine that sponsored research on classical civilization and promoted professional standards in archaeology. Fletcher wanted to establish an "Americanist" center to train students in the profession of archaeology, to engage in anthropological research in the Americas, and to preserve and study the unique cultural heritage of the American Southwest. Her aims coincided with those of Edgar Lee Hewett, an educator and amateur archaeologist whom she met in Mexico in 1906.[1][2] .... In December 1907, the American Committee of the AIA accepted Fletcher's plan to establish the School of American Archaeology and appointed Hewett its director and Fletcher as the first chairperson of the School's managing committee.

Early years

Santa Fe, then the capital of New Mexico Territory, was chosen as the School of American Archaeology's headquarters in part because the territorial government offered the historic Palace of the Governors as a permanent home. In 1909, the legislature established the Museum of New Mexico as an agency of the School, creating a relationship that would continue for the next 50 years. Hewett became director of both the Museum and the School.[3] In 1917, the School of American Archaeology changed its name to the School of American Research to reflect a broader mission:

"to promote and carry on research in Archaeology and related branches of the Science of Man; to foster Art in all its branches through exhibitions and by other means which may from time to time be desirable".

Bulletin of the Archaeological Institute of America - Volumes 37-45 - Page 5

books.google.com/books?id=fkctAAAAMAAJ
1946 - Snippet view - More editions

THE INSTITUTE: Reports page President Sterling Dow 7 General Secretary Stephen B. Luce 29 Treasurer Seth T. ... W. Mendell 48 Jerusalem and Baghdad Millar Burrows 50 Santa Fe Sylvanus G. Morley

When Sylvanus Griswold Sylvanus died suddenly in Santa Fe in 1948, the former WWI spymaster for the Office of Naval Intelligence was working under the supervision of Dr. Stephen Bleecker Luce, also a WWI Naval Intelligence officer who has never been associated with Morley's espionage network.:

Road Accidents Kill 7 in NE

‎Boston Globe - Jun 4, 1962

Services for Stephen Bleecker Luce, 74, of 267 Clarendon st. and Newport, RI, noted archaeologist and Greek scholar, will be held tomorrow at Waterman funeral chapel at 10 am Mr. Luce, who died Saturday, graduated from Harvard University in 1909 and received his doctorate in 1913.

He retired as general secretary of the Archaeological Institute of America at Harvard. His earlier career took him across the nation and the world as curator of a score c A grandson of Admiral SB Luce, who was founder of the Naval War College at Newport, Dr. Luce served as a Naval Intelligence Officer during World War I. His....

Edit: Now I have found that the President off the Archaeological Institute of America who is named above in the excerpt

from the 1946 AIA Bulletin, was one of new generation of archaeologists involved in military intelligence.:

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/05.31/21-sterling.html

Sterling Dow was born on 19 November 1903 in Portland, Maine.

...Returning to Harvard as an Instructor in 1936, he remained on the faculty until his retirement in 1970, a member of both the Classics and the History Departments, and after 1949 the John E. Hudson Professor of Archaeology. He was long and actively associated with Eliot House. A wartime leave took him with the O.S.S. to Washington and to Egypt, where he made contacts that were useful later when he was a founder of the American Research Center in Egypt. Upon his return to Cambridge he served briefly as the University Archivist....

.....After retirement from Harvard he taught for seven years as a Distinguished Professor at Boston College and then in 1978 as Blegen Distinguished Professor at Vassar. Earlier he served as president of the Archaeological Institute of America,....

A Life in the Twentieth Century: Innocent Beginnings, 1917-1950 - Page 441

books.google.com/books?isbn=0618219250

The Harvard history department was then unsurpassed in the country. Sam Morison, John Fairbank, Bill Langer, Crane Brinton, Charles H. Taylor, Donald McKay, Myron Gilmore, Dick Leopold, Edwin Reischauer, Sterling Dow, were back from the wars.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fairbank#Education_and_early_career

John King Fairbank (24 May 1907 – 14 September 1991)

...Following the outbreak of the Pacific War in 1941, Fairbank was enlisted to work for the US government, which included service in the OSS and the Office of War Information in Chongqing, the temporary capital of Nationalist China. ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_Brinton

Clarence Crane Brinton (Winsted, Connecticut, 1898 - Cambridge, Massachusetts, September 7, 1968) was an American historian of France, as well as an historian of ideas. His most famous work, The Anatomy of Revolution, compared the dynamics of revolutionary movements to the progress of fever.[1]....Brinton attended the public schools there before entering Harvard University in 1915. His excellent academic performance enabled him to win a Rhodes Scholarship to attend Oxford University. Receiving a Doctor of Philosophy (D.Phil.) degree there in 1923, Brinton began teaching at Harvard University that same year, becoming full professor in 1942 and remaining at Harvard until his death.[2] ....and was fluent in French. During WWII he was for a time Chief of Research and Analysis in London in the Office of Strategic Services.[4] He was also Fire Marshal for St. Paul's Cathedral in London, which withstood the Blitz with minor damages. After the war, he was commended by the United States Army for "Conspicuous Contribution to the Liberation of France" and was Chairman of the Society of Fellows at Harvard in the late 1940s.[5] Among other figures, Fellows during that period included McGeorge Bundy and Ray Cline, who were quite influential in national security and intelligence....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_O._Reischauer

Edwin Oldfather Reischauer (October 15, 1910 – September 1, 1990) was an American educator and professor at Harvard University. He was a leading scholar of the history and culture of Japan and East Asia. From 1961 to 1966, he served as the United States Ambassador to Japan.

During World War II, Reischauer was the Japan expert for the U.S. Army Intelligence Service, and a myth developed that he prevented the bombing of Kyoto during the war,[17] as explained by Robert Jungk in Brighter Than a Thousand Suns: A personal history of the atomic scientists:...

The Secret War: The Office of Strategic Services in World War II - Page 62

The Secret War: The Office of Strategic Services in World War II

edited by George C. Chalou 1995

James Phinney Baxter and W. L. Langer had already raided the Harvard history department for the R&A Branch of the OSS, and Donald McKay, another Harvard friend, now recruited me. In May I joined the R&A Central Intelligence Staff at

what seemed then the munificent salary of $3,800 a year. My boss was yet another Harvard friend, the medievalist S. Everett Gleason, who later collaborated with Bill Langer in the classic history of FDR's foreign policy before Pearl Harbor and still later ran the secretariat of the National Security Council. My job was to edit a classified publication of strictly limited circulation called The PW Weekly — PW standing for psychological warfare....

Copyright 2013 by Tom Scully

Edited by Tom Scully

Would Paul Trejo please post all of John Newman's "imaginary fictions" from Oswald and the CIA here?

I would like to see what methodology has been used by Trejo in dismissing, and insulting, John Newman's incredibly important book after "reviewing" it for 20 minutes.

Can each "imaginary fiction" be placed into separate posts so they can be thoroughly reviewed and digested by the Education Forum members and so we can all learn from Trejo's nuanced understanding of the record?

I'm extremely interested in witnessing how one of the most incredibly deceitful and sly operators, that I have ever had the misfortune to communicate with, takes apart the work of one of the most intelligent, diligent and ethical researchers this community has every had.

BUMP: Awaiting the "imaginary fictions" of John Newman from Trejo.

Tick-tock, tick-tock...

Me too, Lee. But let me put it this way. I ain't holding my breath.

I think Newman is a level-headed intelligence analyst whose conclusion is solid: J. J. Angleton was the only person who could have 1) planned the operation, 2) managed its execution, and 3) orchestrated the cover up.

IMHO, Angleton was in the perfect position to start the patsying-up process of Oswald, for any possible future operation that might require a "commie symp" patsy, as early as 1959 by involving Oswald in a mole-detecting venture in Russia at that time.

To wit:

(Moved here from another thread due to apparent lack of interest there)

A lack of Russian interest in the potentially high-value "defector" Oswald would strongly suggest to James Jesus Angleton that the Russians already had a U-2 mole in place or that they suspected Oswald of being some kind of double agent.

Mole hunting was both Angleton's specialty and his obsession. But maybe Angleton sent Oswald to Russia not only to help him detect/verify the presence of a mole and possibly to give the Russians bad U-2 info, but also to set up Commie-looking Oswald for any possible future operations which might require a "patsy."

Could the fact that Oswald's early CIA files disappeared into a "black hole" at CI or CI/SIG reflect the fact that Oswald was an important part of Angleton's highly-sensitive mole hunting efforts? You know, a "if there are no files about early-on-Oswald-in-Russia to read, then the mole can't read about our efforts to find him, can he" kind of deal? Could it be that Angleton (or somebody else who knew of this black hole aspect of the mole hunt) also liked the idea of having a gullible, "mission impossible," order-following, Commie-looking patsy available for any possible future "assignment?"

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves