The Education Forum

Arthur A. W. Cowan

William Kelly

F. Frankfurter : http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...72|5|1|1|28288| + a name search reveals 22 documents: MSC Files.

Hearings

By United States Congress. House. Committee on Education

Published by

Item notes: 1948c

Original from the University of Michigan

Digitized Nov 29, 2005

9 pages matching Arthur Cowan in this book

page 212,

Mr COWAN: ......in it, and that was put into the form of a resolution, a formal resolution.

Mr. MCANN: And when was that meeting held?

Mr COWAN: That was held in the latter part of 1942.

Mr. MCANN: Where was it held?

Mr COWAN: I have the minutes and will produce them.

page 231

Miss Dashington:

Mr MCANN: That question was by Mr Cowan. These questions are from Mr Jones. The AGVA Committee knew all about this case, did it not?

Miss Dashington: As far as I know

page 296

One, Arthur Cowan testified that he is national counsel for AGVA. That is just

not so. He was for a short period of time counsel in several cases, ...

This hearing from years before the Kennedy Assassination establishes that Arthur W A Cowan had, some type of involvement with the AGVA.......

When the assassination of JFK took place, in one of Ruby's belongings there was a reference to a Hank Cowan in North Carolina, I was not aware of this until this morning

The link is here.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=365134

Recently I came across some rather interesting facts pertaining to the actor John Houseman. It may not come as a surprise that John Houseman, [not unlike the former OSS operative Julia Child], worked for the Office of War Information in the 1940's.

In Houseman's biography he recalls a rather anxiety filled Louis Cowan, a fellow OWI employee regarding some accusations that the OWI sector Houseman and Cowan worked in, was being, in effect "smeared" by accusations that it was suspect regarding possible affiliations with the "Reds."

The passage in question from Houseman's biography.

From John Houseman’s biography

But even while the Michigan record was being pressed, I got a panic call one morning from Louis Cowan who was in charge of labor relations for the Overseas Branch. He was a large curly-haired emotional man who had invented and owned the Quiz Kids and desperately wanted to be loved. He was pale and trembling from a phone conversation he had just had with James Petrillo, czar of the Musicians’ Local # 802 of the American Federation of Labor*

* In 1943 the rift between the older craft unions of the A. F. of L. and the younger more vital depression-born industrial unions of the C.I.O. was still deep and bitter.

Some craft union fink in our building must have denounced us to Petrillo, who was now charging us with favoring the C.I.O. over the A.F.L., in our overseas propaganda, thus proving ourselves to be radical and subversive if not outright Communistic. In consequence, Petrillo informed the bewildered Cowan, he was withdrawing all free access to music and musicians which the Office of War Information, as a war agency, had thitherto enjoyed.

Cowan was distraught. This was a critical threat to our entire operation— particularly to the Armed Services programs, for which he was responsible. Petrillo and the A.F.L. must be appeased and the fatal order rescinded. And since it was my department that had brought on this calamity, he begged me to correct it— immediately.

page 68, John Houseman A Memoir: Front and Center 1942-1955

I thought that was a rather interesting possible genealogical association......But I have never been able to discover any familial relation between Louis Cowan and Arthur.....FWIW

Edited by Robert Howard

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F. Frankfurter : http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...72|5|1|1|28288| + a name search reveals 22 documents: MSC Files.

Hearings

By United States Congress. House. Committee on Education

Published by

Item notes: 1948c

Original from the University of Michigan

Digitized Nov 29, 2005

9 pages matching Arthur Cowan in this book

page 212,

Mr COWAN: ......in it, and that was put into the form of a resolution, a formal resolution.

Mr. MCANN: And when was that meeting held?

Mr COWAN: That was held in the latter part of 1942.

Mr. MCANN: Where was it held?

Mr COWAN: I have the minutes and will produce them.

page 231

Miss Dashington:

Mr MCANN: That question was by Mr Cowan. These questions are from Mr Jones. The AGVA Committee knew all about this case, did it not?

Miss Dashington: As far as I know

page 296

One, Arthur Cowan testified that he is national counsel for AGVA. That is just

not so. He was for a short period of time counsel in several cases, ...

This hearing from years before the Kennedy Assassination establishes that Arthur W A Cowan had, some type of involvement with the AGVA.......

When the assassination of JFK took place, in one of Ruby's belongings there was a reference to a Hank Cowan in North Carolina, I was not aware of this until this morning

The link is here.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=365134

Recently I came across some rather interesting facts pertaining to the actor John Houseman. It may not come as a surprise that John Houseman, [not unlike the former OSS operative Julia Child], worked for the Office of War Information in the 1940's.

In Houseman's biography he recalls a rather anxiety filled Louis Cowan, a fellow OWI employee regarding some accusations that the OWI sector Houseman and Cowan worked in, was being, in effect "smeared" by accusations that it was suspect regarding possible affiliations with the "Reds."

The passage in question from Houseman's biography.

From John Houseman’s biography

But even while the Michigan record was being pressed, I got a panic call one morning from Louis Cowan who was in charge of labor relations for the Overseas Branch. He was a large curly-haired emotional man who had invented and owned the Quiz Kids and desperately wanted to be loved. He was pale and trembling from a phone conversation he had just had with James Petrillo, czar of the Musicians’ Local # 802 of the American Federation of Labor*

* In 1943 the rift between the older craft unions of the A. F. of L. and the younger more vital depression-born industrial unions of the C.I.O. was still deep and bitter.

Some craft union fink in our building must have denounced us to Petrillo, who was now charging us with favoring the C.I.O. over the A.F.L., in our overseas propaganda, thus proving ourselves to be radical and subversive if not outright Communistic. In consequence, Petrillo informed the bewildered Cowan, he was withdrawing all free access to music and musicians which the Office of War Information, as a war agency, had thitherto enjoyed.

Cowan was distraught. This was a critical threat to our entire operation— particularly to the Armed Services programs, for which he was responsible. Petrillo and the A.F.L. must be appeased and the fatal order rescinded. And since it was my department that had brought on this calamity, he begged me to correct it— immediately.

page 68, John Houseman A Memoir: Front and Center 1942-1955

I thought that was a rather interesting possible genealogical association......But I have never been able to discover any familial relation between Louis Cowan and Arthur.....FWIW

Mockingbird Circles.........

Another illustrious factoid from the Dept of Three Degrees of Separation, would be Mary McCarthy, who knew enough about him to accuse Lillian Hellman of less than total candor in her portrayal of him in Pentimento.......

With that in mind, the following is of interest to myself and hopefully others...

Seeing Mary Plain: A Life of Mary McCarthy

By Frances Kiernan

Edition: reprint, illustrated

Published by W. W. Norton & Company, 2002

ISBN 0393323072, 9780393323078

848 pages

Mary McCarthy died in 1989. In her biography, she references a CIA program in Spain in 1963, as well as

mentioning that Carmen Angelton, who was the sister of James Angleton, was a friend of hers.

What most people on the Education Forum and other places associate Mary McCarthy with is her relationship with Lillian Hellman which deteriorated badly in the years before both Hellman and McCarthy’s death, over accusation McCarthy made on the Dick Cavett show that Hellman was essentially a pathological xxxx, one of the topics in that conversation, though not mentioned by name on the Cavett Show, Arthur Cowan was certainly part of Mary McCarthy was alluding to, in my estimation.

If one peruses the book it provides a great detail more information regarding her life and times. Perhaps, one of the most interesting items in the book, is the fact, that she didn’t leave a diary, unlike Mary Meyer.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YW9ll0180...ad=0_1#PPA13,M1

http://books.google.com/books?id=YW9ll0180...q=Mary+McCarthy

http://archive.salon.com/books/review/2000...rnan/index.html

• 1 year later...

From the 1960 Harvard Alumni Directory.........

Arthur Wyndham Allan Cowan, The Madison, 15 E. 58th St., New York 22, NY [Gov., L27-30 LLB, L35-36 LLM]

After the assassination of JFK, the FBI was very interested in a Cowan, who was associated, in one way or another, with Jack Ruby, by virtue of the fact

that his name was in Jack Ruby's phonebook.

It took me a long time to discover that the person's name was Hank Cowan, M.C., who, if I am reading the document correctly was listed with Bob Barrett

and Tony Todd, also Master of Ceremonies, under the listing for Ross Russell of Allied Artists, apparently in Georgia.

See

http://www.maryferre...4&relPageId=248

Life Magazine May 13, 1963 - “May 29-June 5 - In Philadelphia oils and watercolors drape clotheslines across Rittenhouse Square.”

And of course, the Quebec/Washington/Guantanamo March for Peace was in Rittenhouse Square on August 15, 1963

See

http://www.maryferre...4&relPageId=112

Dennis Jamieson of the Friends Peace Committee, 1500 Race Street, Philadelphia was there......

Edited by Robert Howard

Arthur Wyndham Allan Cowan, The Madison, 15 E. 58th St., New York 22, NY [Gov., L27-30 LLB, L35-36 LLM]

After the assassination of JFK, the FBI was very interested in a Cowan, who was associated, in one way or another, with Jack Ruby, by virtue of the fact

It took me a long time to discover that the person's name was Hank Cowan, M.C., who, if I am reading the document correctly was listed with Bob Barrett

and Tony Todd, also Master of Ceremonies, under the listing for Ross Russell of Allied Artists, apparently in Georgia.

See

Life Magazine May 13, 1963 - “May 29-June 5 - In Philadelphia oils and watercolors drape clotheslines across Rittenhouse Square.”

And of course, the Quebec/Washington/Guantanamo March for Peace was in Rittenhouse Square on August 15, 1963

See

Dennis Jamieson of the Friends Peace Committee, 1500 Race Street, Philadelphia was there......

Robert,

Many thanks for keeping this thread alive, as I believe there is more truth in some fiction than there is in most autobiographies.

We really should brief Joan Mellen on what we now know about Cowan and see what she says.

The idea that Lillian Hellman was prolific lier and writer of fiction belies the fact that she used the real name of Cowan and told of his secret life and mysterious death and while only a short story in her book Penemento? - has taken on a whole new meaning with the development of the real facts of his life, and whose lifestyle is also epitomized by such similar characters as Ian Fleming, E. Wharton Shober, Clay Shaw, E. M. Bloomfield and other mid-level lawyers and bankers and businessmen who kept the covert operational machinery operating.

They are the Masters of Ceremony of the operations that we are trying to piece togehter, but it is the conductor - the mastro with the baton who is orchestrating the situations that we are looking for - and I think guys like Arthur Cowan will lead us to him.

And there's more to the Peace March than meets the eye, and has yet to be properly reviewed.

Thanks,

BK

See

Life Magazine May 13, 1963 - "May 29-June 5 - In Philadelphia oils and watercolors drape clotheslines across Rittenhouse Square."

See

Robert,

Many thanks for keeping this thread alive, as I believe there is more truth in some fiction than there is in most autobiographies.

We really should brief Joan Mellen on what we now know about Cowan and see what she says.

The idea that Lillian Hellman was prolific lier and writer of fiction belies the fact that she used the real name of Cowan and told of his secret life and mysterious death and while only a short story in her book Penemento? - has taken on a whole new meaning with the development of the real facts of his life, and whose lifestyle is also epitomized by such similar characters as Ian Fleming, E. Wharton Shober, Clay Shaw, E. M. Bloomfield and other mid-level lawyers and bankers and businessmen who kept the covert operational machinery operating.

They are the Masters of Ceremony of the operations that we are trying to piece togehter, but it is the conductor - the mastro with the baton who is orchestrating the situations that we are looking for - and I think guys like Arthur Cowan will lead us to him.

And there's more to the Peace March than meets the eye, and has yet to be properly reviewed.

Thanks,

BK

Thanks Bill, I would have liked to ascertain whether "Hank" may have been a blood relative of Arthur, but for the time being it will be undetermined.....

It is funny how some of the topics of these threads can hang in limbo, for so long, but, as they say, better late than never.

Cheers

See

Life Magazine May 13, 1963 - "May 29-June 5 - In Philadelphia oils and watercolors drape clotheslines across Rittenhouse Square."

See

Robert,

Thanks,

BK

Thanks Bill, I would have liked to ascertain whether "Hank" may have been a blood relative of Arthur, but for the time being it will be undetermined.....

It is funny how some of the topics of these threads can hang in limbo, for so long, but, as they say, better late than never.

Cheers

Hey Robert, did you see the Ted Kennedy files - Mrs. Jacqueline Hammond, ex-wife of the former US Ambassador to Spain, arranged for orgies for fellow Carlyle Hotel resident JFK. I wonder if Mr. Hammond was ambassador to Spain when Cowan died their so mysteriously?

And the Madison and Carlyle can't be too far apart in Manhattan, they must all be neighbors. A real open minded neighborhood with a lot of rich, good lookin broads. Perfect for Kennedys and Cowans.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

Hey Robert, did you see the Ted Kennedy files - Mrs. Jacqueline Hammond, ex-wife of the former US Ambassador to Spain, arranged for orgies for fellow Carlyle Hotel resident JFK. I wonder if Mr. Hammond was ambassador to Spain when Cowan died their so mysteriously?

And the Madison and Carlyle can't be too far apart in Manhattan, they must all be neighbors. A real open minded neighborhood with a lot of rich, good lookin broads. Perfect for Kennedys and Cowans.

BK

Look at this under google books under page 229

See

Scannell's New Jersey first citizens: biographies and portraits of ..., Volume 1

Ogden Haggerty Hammond died in 1956, buried at Oakland Cemetery in St. Paul, Minnesota, his namesake son died in 1975

See wiki German translation into English.......

Mario Kohly [ie Morrow Richard Nixon] his father was a former US Ambassador to Spain according to......

page 276, Assassination II by Donald L. Kimball (1993)

"Until 1959 Kohly had been a successful financier and businessman in Havana Cuba and his father had been an ambassador to Spain."

What's In a Name?

Record: HAMMOND, ELEANOR (MRS.)

Sources: CD 75, p. 189

Mary's Comments: A Quaker woman who gave Ruth Paine the name of Mrs. Ruth Kloepfer in New Orleans.

SPAIN: Sources: CD 913, pp. 240-251

Mary's Comments: "Voice of Spain" article.

Edited by Robert Howard

• 3 weeks later...

Message by email:

I have been reading the posts on Arthur W.A. Cowan who I met in Torremolinos in October of 1964, one month before he was killed in an automobile accident.

I spent a day with him, he took me to dinner in Malaga and asked me if I wanted to go to Africa with him to check on some diamond mines.

I would like to be able to share my memories of my encounter with him with the people who have been so interested in his life. However I am unable to register on your site.

Would you be so kind as to put me in touch with one of the people discussing him so I can share my story. He was the most interesting person I ever met.

Message by email:

I have been reading the posts on Arthur W.A. Cowan who I met in Torremolinos in October of 1964, one month before he was killed in an automobile accident.

I spent a day with him, he took me to dinner in Malaga and asked me if I wanted to go to Africa with him to check on some diamond mines.

I would like to be able to share my memories of my encounter with him with the people who have been so interested in his life. However I am unable to register on your site.

Would you be so kind as to put me in touch with one of the people discussing him so I can share my story. He was the most interesting person I ever met.

Thanks John,

Arthur A. W. Cowan was most certainly one of the most interesting, little known and novel characters of all time. I will share whatever I learn with Robert, who also has an extensive file on him.

Bill Kelly

billkelly3@gmail.com

Wrong guy Bernice.

Cowan not Cohen.

Arthur A. W. Cowan is the subject of a chapter of Lilian Helman's book Pentamento (spl?)

While the book is classified as fiction, Cowan is a real person, a Philadelphia lawyer who Helman said worked for a US government intelligence agency, and had a secret life, dying in a mysterious accident in Spain.

BK

• 2 months later...

The Arthur Cowan enigma, or Looking For A Good Doppleganger

Bill Kelly and I both became interested in Arthur W. A. Cowan for the same reason. I have discovered that this topic is as problematic as anything I have run across

in quite awhile. I am posting two articles about two different persons named Arthur Cowan, due to the fact that there has to be a genealogical connection here somewhere.

I will also add a couple of, beyond pertinent facts that show how strange all of this can be when your looking for information on someone, who had a, what else can I say,

mysterious life.

First, the FBI or the Dallas Police Department after the Kennedy assassination, were interested in a LNU Cowan, because his name was in Ruby's address book

or the Graphics List, that Cowan from what I've deduced was Hank Cowan.

Second, the most interesting Cowan so far, that could be, at best, related to Arthur Wyndham Allen Cowan was Arthur S Cowan, and he was affilliated with the Army

Signal Corp, General Hap Arnold and was accused of some unpleasantries mentioned in the Air Force Official History, Winged Shield Winged Sword.

So here are the two articles.

See google books

from Billboard Magazine Aug 30, 1947

Dick Jones Car Joins AVGA Jam

Philadelphia Aug 23 - The local courts will apparently have to work overtime to settle the beefs and counterbeefs

arising out of the tangled American Guild Variety Artists (AVGA) squabble.

Latest one involves Dick Jones 1947 Hudson, which he said was given to him as a present by AVGA members

and Arthur S Cowan, attorney for AGVA. Seems that Jones sold his car to two people, Frank Valento and Joe Miller.

According to Jones there was a $340 lien against the car, held by the Associated Actors and Artistes of America

(Four A's), incurred as a result of the loan that Jones said he took some time ago. Since Cowan acts for AGVA,

he also theoretically represents the Four A's, so the lien on the Jones car had to be settled through him before it could be sold.

Valento and Miller called on Cowan and allegedly asked him if he would release the lien on payment of the $340.

According to Jones, Cowan agreed, took the money and gave the two guys a receipt. Then, according to Jones

Cowan turned around and notified the Sheriff's office that the car was AGVA property and attach it.

The two buyers of the car apparently yelled copper and went to the local magistrate to get a warrant for Cowan,

charging him with fradulent conversion.

Chicago Tribune (IL) - July 13, 1967

Loan Shark Muscleman Found Slain

Deceased Name: Arthur [boodie] Cowan

Arthur [boodie] Cowan, 46, a north side loan shark terrorist, was found murdered last night, only a mile and a half from the west side headquarters of his mob bosses.

Police immediately ordered a search for the two top gangsters for whom Cowan worked as a muscleman and collector in the multi-milliondollar-a-year usurious loan racket.

Targets of the manhunt were identified as Lenny Patrick, north side crime syndicate gambling and loan shark boss, and David Yarros, a mob overlord.

Mutilated Before Death

Informed sources told THE TRIBUNE that Cowan had become the target of gangland vengeance because he had been caught converting to his own use funds invested

by mob bosses in the loan shark racket.

Cowan's body, apparently mutilated before death, was found stuffed in the trunk of his black and red 1965 Chevrolet convertible. He had been missing a week.

The cause of death could not be determined immediately because of the condition of the body.

The car was found parked in front of a private home at 418 S. Kilpatrick av., directly across the street from a busy factory from which a crowd of night shift workers

quickly gathered once police arrived.

Leaves on Business

Cowan had left his home at 7307 Crawford Ave., Lincolnwood, at 8:30 p. m. July 5, telling his wife and stepson, Louis Caputo, 31, he intended to meet business

associates on the south side for at least three hours.

His car was found a mile and half from a restaurant near Roosevelt road and Lawndale avenue that has served as a headquarters for Patrick, Yaros, Cowan, and other

mobsters for at least three decades.

Even though the neighborhood has changed and the mobsters have shifted their operations to the north side, the restaurant has continued to serve as their command post.

Night of Disappearance

Homicide detectives and members of the police intelligence division speculated that Cowan might have gone to the Patrick headquarters to keep his appointment the night he disappeared. The body lay in the trunk with a loose tire dumped over the head. A plastic clothes line had been tied loosely about his chest. A Florentine gold watch remained

on his left wrist. There was considerable blood in the trunk and on the body, indicating torture before death.

Kyran Phelan, the coroner's chief investigator, said an autopsy to determine the cause of death would be conducted today.

The car was first noticed on Kilpatrick avenue last Friday, two days after Cowan's disappearance.

Will D. Harrell, 61, a presser who lives on the first floor of the building at 418 S. Kilpatrick Ave., told the police he noticed the car parked

at the curb as he left for work at 8:30 a. m. Friday.

Body Fully Clothed

Harrell noted the car remained there the rest of the week and finally notified police last night.

Cowan's body was fully clothed in the dark sport jacket, white knit shirt, and dark slacks that he had worn when he drove away from his home.

The body was found only 12 hours after the intelligence division had published in the police daily bulletin a description of Cowan's auto.

Sgt. Edward Flood of the homicide unit dispatched detectives to Cowan's suburban home to question Mrs. Cowan. Cowan's son, Jerry, 24, went to the county

morgue to identify the body.

Cowan had been collecting interest payments from juice loan victims working in far north side factories until the day of his disappearance.

Group Moves Operation

He frequently was observed at a manufacturing plant in the vicinity of Devon and Lincoln avenues, not far from a delicatessen near Kedzie and Devon avenues he used as a hangout.

Informed sources reported that Cowan had been caught dipping into the cash entrusted to him by the crime syndicate bosses who formerly ran gambling and juice rackets in the old 22d, 23d, and 24th wards.

The Patrick-Yarros group shifted operations to the north side as their traditional west side haunts ceased to be lucrative. Cowan, who had gotten his start as a minor gambler, moved with them.

Yarros was described by intelligence detectives as the actual overlord of the old west side mob with Patrick functioning as his lieutenant. Yarros was indicted for the 1946 murder of James M. Ragen, a wealthy racing news czar, but the charge was later dropped amidst controversy in which two police officials were suspended.

Last year, Cowan was identified in testimony before the Illinois Crime Investigating commission as the operating boss of the Patrick loan shark gang.

Intelligence detectives related how they had learned details of the juice loan operation by planting an undercover woman employee of the police department in the restaurant where Cowan headquartered.

Obviously, David Yarros, is David Yaras....

• 2 weeks later...

The Arthur Cowan enigma, or Looking For A Good Doppleganger

Bill Kelly and I both became interested in Arthur W. A. Cowan for the same reason. I have discovered that this topic is as problematic as anything I have run across

in quite awhile. I am posting two articles about two different persons named Arthur Cowan, due to the fact that there has to be a genealogical connection here somewhere.

I will also add a couple of, beyond pertinent facts that show how strange all of this can be when your looking for information on someone, who had a, what else can I say,

mysterious life.

First, the FBI or the Dallas Police Department after the Kennedy assassination, were interested in a LNU Cowan, because his name was in Ruby's address book

or the Graphics List, that Cowan from what I've deduced was Hank Cowan.

Second, the most interesting Cowan so far, that could be, at best, related to Arthur Wyndham Allen Cowan was Arthur S Cowan, and he was affilliated with the Army

Signal Corp, General Hap Arnold and was accused of some unpleasantries mentioned in the Air Force Official History, Winged Shield Winged Sword.

So here are the two articles.

See google books

from Billboard Magazine Aug 30, 1947

Dick Jones Car Joins AVGA Jam

Philadelphia Aug 23 - The local courts will apparently have to work overtime to settle the beefs and counterbeefs

arising out of the tangled American Guild Variety Artists (AVGA) squabble.

Latest one involves Dick Jones 1947 Hudson, which he said was given to him as a present by AVGA members

and Arthur S Cowan, attorney for AGVA. Seems that Jones sold his car to two people, Frank Valento and Joe Miller.

According to Jones there was a $340 lien against the car, held by the Associated Actors and Artistes of America

(Four A's), incurred as a result of the loan that Jones said he took some time ago. Since Cowan acts for AGVA,

he also theoretically represents the Four A's, so the lien on the Jones car had to be settled through him before it could be sold.

Valento and Miller called on Cowan and allegedly asked him if he would release the lien on payment of the $340.

According to Jones, Cowan agreed, took the money and gave the two guys a receipt. Then, according to Jones

Cowan turned around and notified the Sheriff's office that the car was AGVA property and attach it.

The two buyers of the car apparently yelled copper and went to the local magistrate to get a warrant for Cowan,

charging him with fradulent conversion.

Chicago Tribune (IL) - July 13, 1967

Loan Shark Muscleman Found Slain

Deceased Name: Arthur [boodie] Cowan

Arthur [boodie] Cowan, 46, a north side loan shark terrorist, was found murdered last night, only a mile and a half from the west side headquarters of his mob bosses.

Police immediately ordered a search for the two top gangsters for whom Cowan worked as a muscleman and collector in the multi-milliondollar-a-year usurious loan racket.

Targets of the manhunt were identified as Lenny Patrick, north side crime syndicate gambling and loan shark boss, and David Yarros, a mob overlord.

Mutilated Before Death

Informed sources told THE TRIBUNE that Cowan had become the target of gangland vengeance because he had been caught converting to his own use funds invested

by mob bosses in the loan shark racket.

Cowan's body, apparently mutilated before death, was found stuffed in the trunk of his black and red 1965 Chevrolet convertible. He had been missing a week.

The cause of death could not be determined immediately because of the condition of the body.

The car was found parked in front of a private home at 418 S. Kilpatrick av., directly across the street from a busy factory from which a crowd of night shift workers

quickly gathered once police arrived.

Leaves on Business

Cowan had left his home at 7307 Crawford Ave., Lincolnwood, at 8:30 p. m. July 5, telling his wife and stepson, Louis Caputo, 31, he intended to meet business

associates on the south side for at least three hours.

His car was found a mile and half from a restaurant near Roosevelt road and Lawndale avenue that has served as a headquarters for Patrick, Yaros, Cowan, and other

mobsters for at least three decades.

Even though the neighborhood has changed and the mobsters have shifted their operations to the north side, the restaurant has continued to serve as their command post.

Night of Disappearance

Homicide detectives and members of the police intelligence division speculated that Cowan might have gone to the Patrick headquarters to keep his appointment the night he disappeared. The body lay in the trunk with a loose tire dumped over the head. A plastic clothes line had been tied loosely about his chest. A Florentine gold watch remained

on his left wrist. There was considerable blood in the trunk and on the body, indicating torture before death.

Kyran Phelan, the coroner's chief investigator, said an autopsy to determine the cause of death would be conducted today.

The car was first noticed on Kilpatrick avenue last Friday, two days after Cowan's disappearance.

Will D. Harrell, 61, a presser who lives on the first floor of the building at 418 S. Kilpatrick Ave., told the police he noticed the car parked

at the curb as he left for work at 8:30 a. m. Friday.

Body Fully Clothed

Harrell noted the car remained there the rest of the week and finally notified police last night.

Cowan's body was fully clothed in the dark sport jacket, white knit shirt, and dark slacks that he had worn when he drove away from his home.

The body was found only 12 hours after the intelligence division had published in the police daily bulletin a description of Cowan's auto.

Sgt. Edward Flood of the homicide unit dispatched detectives to Cowan's suburban home to question Mrs. Cowan. Cowan's son, Jerry, 24, went to the county

morgue to identify the body.

Cowan had been collecting interest payments from juice loan victims working in far north side factories until the day of his disappearance.

Group Moves Operation

He frequently was observed at a manufacturing plant in the vicinity of Devon and Lincoln avenues, not far from a delicatessen near Kedzie and Devon avenues he used as a hangout.

Informed sources reported that Cowan had been caught dipping into the cash entrusted to him by the crime syndicate bosses who formerly ran gambling and juice rackets in the old 22d, 23d, and 24th wards.

The Patrick-Yarros group shifted operations to the north side as their traditional west side haunts ceased to be lucrative. Cowan, who had gotten his start as a minor gambler, moved with them.

Yarros was described by intelligence detectives as the actual overlord of the old west side mob with Patrick functioning as his lieutenant. Yarros was indicted for the 1946 murder of James M. Ragen, a wealthy racing news czar, but the charge was later dropped amidst controversy in which two police officials were suspended.

Last year, Cowan was identified in testimony before the Illinois Crime Investigating commission as the operating boss of the Patrick loan shark gang.

Intelligence detectives related how they had learned details of the juice loan operation by planting an undercover woman employee of the police department in the restaurant where Cowan headquartered.

Obviously, David Yarros, is David Yaras....

Another twist in the Arthur Cowan saga, the information I am posting here, is done so because of the possibility that Arthur S Cowan may have been, and I do mean maybe,

related to Arthur W A Cowan....

In some ways, it offers a parallel to another area of JFK research.

Col Arthur S Cowan was the third and eighth Commanding Officer of Fort Monmouth, New Jersey from September 1917 to June 1918 and again from September 1929, to April 1937,

Also,information regarding Building 230 was listed in the Signal Corps Bulletin # 94 January/February 1937.

War Department Records show that the building completed on 7 October 1935 cost $14,500. Col Arthur S Cowan as the eighth Commanding Officer of Fort Monmouth, N.J.

September 1929, to April 1937, first occupied the new commanding officers quarters. He died in June 1957. Cowan Park, the area east of Russel Hall at Fort Monmouth is named

after him.

Other commanders and personnel who served at Fort Monmouth included

Major General Frank W. Moorman [starting with Moorman, and ending with Hamlin deserve special attention, if you believe the military was a prime mover in the assassination]

Major General Stuart S Hoff

Major General William D Hamlin

Major General Preston D Corderman [worked with William Friedman in 1934; Friedman leads to John W Hurt the Japanese codebreaker] see

David Kahn The Codebreakers page 388

Major General Kirke B Lawton

There is also a wiki link on Arthur S Cowan

See

http://en.wikipedia....S._Signal_Corps

Where this gets rather strange is the fact that we are seemingly dealing with two different Arthur S Cowan's,

an AGVA related Arthur S Cowan

[see previous my post, with the Billboard Magazine article]

and a Colonel Arthur S. Cowan was also at one time a Commanding officer at Monmouth, New Jersey.

The time frame for his tenure there at Fort Monmouth, is long before 1947, he was CO from September 1917 to June 1918,

and again from September 1929, to April 1937.

cecom.army.mil/historian/updates/33.htm

The Army Signal Corp..........well that goes into an area that seems to be of interest only to myself and a few other people

Where it gets really strange is that Arthur S Cowan worked with General Hap Arnold, who also was an Army Signal Corp alumni.

http://en.wikipedia....Henry_H._Arnold

Report of the Garlington Board

While the Senate hearings were in progress, Chief Signal Officer Brig. Gen. George P. Scriven issued a statement accusing the young

aviators of "unmilitary insubordination and disloyal acts" in an attempt to form an air service independent of the Signal Corps.

Brig. Gen. Ernest A. Garlington, the Inspector General, was appointed by Army chief of staff Gen. Hugh L. Scott to head a board of

investigation into the Aviation Section. The Garlington Board confirmed Goodier's allegations and also cited Scriven and Reber for

failing to supervise the section adequately, holding them responsible for acquiring substandard aircraft.[30] The Garlington Board's

report, together with the Senate resolution and public criticism of the equipment used in Mexico, prompted Secretary of War Newton

Baker to issue letters of censure to Scriven, Reber and Cowan. Reber was relieved as Chief of the Aviation Section on May 5,

temporarily replaced by Capt. William Mitchell, and Cowan of his duties in July.[31][32] Both were assigned non-aviation duties

in the Signal Corps after extensive leaves of absence.[33] Lt.Col. George O. Squier was recalled from duty as military attaché in

London and appointed Chief of the Aviation Section on May 20, with orders to reform it from the ground up.

On April 24, 1916, the General Staff appointed a committee chaired by Col. Charles W. Kennedy to make recommendations for

reform and reorganization of the Aviation Section. Milling was named the representative from the section, over the objections of

Foulois, who believed him to be too close to the previous Signal Corps leadership. The committee took statements from all 23

officers then on flying duty with the Aviation Section and found that 21 favored separation of aviation from the Signal Corps.[34]

Only Milling and Captain Patterson were opposed to separation—and Patterson was the non-flyer who had acquired his flying

certificate through the censured actions of Cowan.[35]

The official history of the United States Air Force published in 1998, Winged Shield, Winged Sword, is much more sympathetic

to Cowan, stating "Cowan's subordinates were manuevering to depose him, allegedly because he played favorites and

ignored safety. Actually the root of his departure from the air arm was the mutual misunderstanding between pilots,

understandably concerned with safety, and a non-flying manager determined to get the most efficient use from the obsolescent

machines entrusted to him." (Heimdahl and Hurley, p.30).

However, the official history completely omits the court martial and Secretary Baker's actions as the reason for the "departure".

BTW Colonel Harrod G Miller, who worked with John B Hurt, on the MAGIC/PURPLE Japanese code intercepts, was an Army Signal Corp

"trainee," he died in 1966.

In The book Pentimento, it was stated that Arthur W A Cowan had wealthy Republican relatives that he did not seem to crazy

about being around, for what its worth.

Note: Walter S Cowan of the New Orleans States Item is the only Cowan listed specifically under Cowan in the bio section at Mary Ferrell,

but there are other Cowan's in Warren Commission documents just no Arthur Wyndham Allen Cowan.

Edited by Robert Howard

• 3 years later...