The Education Forum

William Harvey article?

James Richards

The most important thing to remember about copyright law is that it is an attempt to protect the income of the person who created the material.

Posting an extract from a book with a link to the publisher or a company like Amazon will not get you into trouble. In fact, you will please the author as it could result in extra sales.

The same is true of an online article. If you include an extract of the article with a link back to the original online version, this will only increase visitors to the newspaper or magazine website. This will increase revenues because the page will contain adverts.

This case is very different. As far as I can see, the article does not exist online. Therefore it is not possible to publish an extract with a link back to the original Washington Post article.

If the author of the article is dead, there is likely to be any trouble about copyright. However, as I have shown, David Martin is very much alive. Therefore, I do not think it is wise to publish the full article without asking his permission first.

Considering the quality of Wilderness of Mirrors, Martin would be a good person to contact. He might be willing to discuss his sources on the Forum.

About a year ago a member did post a long article on the Forum. I was then contacted by his lawyers who demanded I paid the author $500,000 in damages. I deleted the article and I never heard anymore from the lawyer. However, as I am the person who will have to pay the costs of any legal action, I would rather members did not post copyrighted articles.

I have read David C. Martin's article, The CIA's Loaded Gun. There is nothing in the article that is not in Wilderness of Mirrors. If you let me know what part of the article is important, I will post the relevant passage from the book with a link to Amazon. It was republished in 2003 and is still available from good bookshops.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilderness-Mirrors...TF8&s=books

Anyone interested in the topic of William Harvey and censorship regarding the Kennedy assassination would benefit from contacting Peter Dale Scott.

While the specifics of the case are hazy to me this many years on, Scott was contracted by Bobbs-Merrill to write an assassination book, which he did, and for which Scott received a not-insignificant advance upon submitting said book.

Soon thereafter, Bobbs-Merrill hired one William Harvey onto its staff, at which point Bobbs-Merrill informed Scott it would not publish his book. When he offered to repay the advance to Bobbs-Merrill in return for the right to "shop" the book to other publishers, Scott was advised that Bobbs-Merrill elected not to do so, and that under no circumstances would he be allowed to have published by other houses what was contained in the book Bobbs-Merrill had bought and for which it had paid.

Consequently, there is a book on the assassination that Scott maintained was among his best work, but which nobody will ever be able to read.

Anyone interested in the topic of William Harvey and censorship regarding the Kennedy assassination would benefit from contacting Peter Dale Scott.

While the specifics of the case are hazy to me this many years on, Scott was contracted by Bobbs-Merrill to write an assassination book, which he did, and for which Scott received a not-insignificant advance upon submitting said book.

Soon thereafter, Bobbs-Merrill hired one William Harvey onto its staff, at which point Bobbs-Merrill informed Scott it would not publish his book. When he offered to repay the advance to Bobbs-Merrill in return for the right to "shop" the book to other publishers, Scott was advised that Bobbs-Merrill elected not to do so, and that under no circumstances would he be allowed to have published by other houses what was contained in the book Bobbs-Merrill had bought and for which it had paid.

Consequently, there is a book on the assassination that Scott maintained was among his best work, but which nobody will ever be able to read.

Thanks for that tidbit RCD,

Harvey is proving to be an interesting individual. Also remember that Lansdale told David Belin and Rock Com that Harvey would have been the one responsible for CIA Cuban boat raiders.

I sent Peter and email and asked him about this and here's what he has to say:

This is an example of how a casual note can grow into a dramatic story. What is true is

1) that I contracted with Bobbs-Merrill to write The War Conspiracy: the Hidden Story of the Second Indochina War, which was obviously focused on Indochina.

2) that when The War Conspiracy belatedly appeared in 1972 (two years minus a week after I first submitted the ms.), I had already withdrawn three chapters on Dallas, which became the core of my unpublished but once widely circulated manuscript, The Dallas Conspiracy. (My first editor at Bobbs-Merrill died of a very rapid cancer; his replacement persuaded me that my book was already quite controversial enough without bringing in Dallas .)

3) Somewhere I noted that after William Harvey retired from the CIA, he went to work for Bobbs-Merrill, then a subsidiary of IT&T.

This is a far less dramatic story than the one I'm responding to. But it's what I remember to be true.

Sincerely,

Peter

The Washington Post, apparently very recently, started selling, via Google, archived articles going back to the 1800s.

On a search subject, they post a list of headlines and a few lines of text, then ask you for five bucks an article, though you can buy up to 25 articles and you can reduce the cost to a few bucks each.

I haven't looked, but I would imagine the David Martin article is available through this archive.

The permissions editor also got back to me and said sometimes permission is granted to post previously published articles on line, but commercial businesses are required to pay as much as $500 to post an article for three months.

This WP archive search should be a valuable source of news articles.

BK

• 2 years later...

WikiLeaks 1976

Bill Harvey's Old Pals: Don't Call or Write Us - Even if Dave Phillips Sent You

David Sanchez Morales was upset.

A feared man of mercurial temperament, the retired Agency operative phoned from Arizona his old friend and boss Theodore G. Shackley at home in Virginia on a Friday in June 1977.

Dave Morales had previously served as Ted Shackley's faithful chief of operations when Shackley was chief of station in Miami. Morales was calling Shackley with a heads-up: Morales had received a letter from Washington journalist David C. Martin asking for his help with a book Martin was writing about William King Harvey.

Harvey, a rotund former FBI man who was marginalized by J. Edgar Hoover for his maverick style and drinking bouts, was Morales and Shackley's colleague in the CIA's Secret War against Cuba. Code-named Operation Mongoose and run out of CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia, Mongoose and its associated covert programs were the tip of the Agency's spear pointed at Cuba, and emanating from the CIA's Miami station known as JM/WAVE.

The content of the Martin letter made Morales believe that their compatriot and propaganda expert David Atlee Phillips (now head of the Association of Retired Intelligence Officers) had indiscretly passed Morales's name to David Martin as someone to contact for stories about Bill Harvey. The thought that Phillips would do so angered Morales, who told Shackley that he would not respond to Martin's letter.

Shackley, then in 1977 at the peak of his career as the Agency's Associate Deputy Director for Operations, was not surprised to hear from Morales, a now heavy drinker and legendary covert warrior at the CIA. He had been called by David Martin about Bill Harvey in September 1976. It is unknown if Shackley assisted Martin. However, David C. Martin's article about Bill Harvey, The CIA's 'Loaded Gun' (and subtitled The Life and Hard Times Of 'America's James Bond,' William King Harvey) was published in the Washington Post on October 10, 1976. Notes 1 & 2.

The following Tuesday, June 27, 1977, Shackley notes his conversation with Morales in an internal memo and makes it clear for the record, the Offices of Security and General Counsel, and the office of the Director that he would not help Martin out on a book about the "real or imagined" exploits of Harvey.

The next evening, June 28, former Berlin operating base chief David E. Murphy (who worked with Shackley and Morales in Berlin) called Dave Phillips about a letter he had just received from David Martin. The letter mentioned Dave Phillips as a reference for Martin's bona fides and asked for Murphy's help with Martin's proposed Harvey book. During the phone call, Dave Phillips praised David Martin and tried to convince Murphy of Martin's discretion and reliability. Murphy had none of it. He told Phillips he would not to discuss covert operations with Martin, nor would he reply to Martin's letter. His wife was recuperating from cancer and he didn't want people calling his house.

The next day, June 29, Murphy told Bruce L. Solie, Chief of the Security Analysis Group, about the Martin letter. The SAG speculated in a memo regarding Morales's call to Shackley that Dave Phillips was collaborating with David Martin on his Bill Harvey book by providing Martin with the names and addresses of former Agency employees that knew Harvey.

The SAG memo circulated among top brass: Dave Phillips's problematic conduct in releasing to a journalist the names of CIA covert operators linked to Bill Harvey had to be contained.

The situation was sensitive. Phillips had retired in 1975 and formed the ARIO to champion, lobby, and promote the cause of intelligence. He had a good rapport with many at the Agency. The Office of Security wanted General Counsel to contact Phillips; others wanted Shackley, a former close covert co-worker, to call him. In the end, Director of Security Robert W. Gambino had John K. Greaney, a lawyer in the General Counsel office, call Phillips sometime around July 20, 1977.

During the call, Dave Phillips told Jack Greaney that David Martin gave Phillips a list of names that Martin wanted to speak to, and Phillips would contact those persons on Martin's behalf. Phillips told Greaney that he never gave contact information to Martin unless the former employees were willing to meet with Martin and give Phillips permission to release their information first. Phillips told Greaney that this is precisely what happened with Dave Morales and two others.

In other words, according to Dave Phillips's explanation as recorded by Jack Greaney, Phillips contacted Dave Morales on Martin's behalf, Morales expressed a willingness to meet with Martin, and Morales gave Phillips permission to release his contact information to David Martin. Only then (according to Phillips' version) did Martin write to Morales asking about Bill Harvey.

If Dave Phillips is to be believed in what he told Jack Greaney, then Dave Morales was not being truthful to Ted Shackley when Morales implied that Dave Phillips had surreptitiously released Morales' name to David Martin.

If Dave Morales is to be believed in what he implied to Ted Shackley, then Dave Phillips was not forthcoming with the Office of General Counsel in stating that Morales had given Phillips consent to release Morales' name and address to David Martin.

Gaeton Fonzi, investigator for the House Select Committee on Assassinations, discusses in his book The Last Investigation how Dave Phillips appeared before the Assassination Committee in August 1978 for an informal session of off-the-record questioning about Dave Phillips' actions in Mexico City when Lee Harvey Oswald was there. At the end of the session, Fonzi asked Phillips: "By the way, do you know what happened to Dave Morales"?

Phillips answered: "No, not really. Last I heard he was down in the Southwest, I don't know where. I think maybe New Mexico." Note 3.

When questioned by the HSCA in 1978, apparently - after a year - Dave Phillips didn't recall his own claims to the Agency in 1977 (1) that he wrote or spoke to Dave Morales in Arizona the summer before; (2) that Morales expressed to him a willingness to meet Martin; (3) that Morales gave him permission to release his name and address to Martin; (4) that he had subsequently given Morales' name and Arizona contact information to writer David Martin for a book about Bill Harvey; and (5) that the above events became such a problem for the Agency that they had to call him about it and ask him to stop leaking names and addresses.

Was Dave Phillips of a forgetful mind when it came to his contacts with and memory of his former action man and paramilitary expert David S. Morales, or was he intentionally dissembling in front of the HSCA? Note 4.

Was Dave Phillips improperly passing protected identities from the ARIO roster to a journalist, or was he merely fulfilling his role as the head of the ARIO in promoting intelligence officers and their history by permissively feeding David Martin some leads?

Was Dave Phillips lying to his former employer when called on the carpet about his actions, or was he merely acting with the consent of Dave Morales and others, who wanted to share a few memories about Bill Harvey for David Martin's book?

There always seems to be a few sides to the story with David A. Phillips.

---

The leak was plugged, and David Martin's book about Bill Harvey and James Angleton, the well-reviewed Wilderness of Mirrors, was eventually completed and published in 1980.

Today, David C. Martin barely recalls Phillips's involvment in helping him obtain contacts for his research about Bill Harvey. Martin did not know about the flap it caused at Langley. Note 5.

-- Steve Rosen

If the hyperlinks don't work, the first linked document is located in several places, including: http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=2

NARA Record Number: 104-10121-10116

Other references, as well as a version of the first document attempting to censor Morales' name (except in one perhaps mistaken spot) are located in Dave Phillips's OS/SAG HSCA files:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=50 (and other pages from 45 to 55).

NARA Record Number: 1993.07.21.16:11:16:210280

Note 1: David C. Martin, The CIA's 'Loaded Gun', The Washington Post, October 10, 1976, p. 33. An excerpt from the archives of www.washingtonpost.com:

"THERE SHOULD have been more people there when they buried Bill Harvey last June. In a way, when the most controversial clandestine operator in CIA history died of a heart attack at 60, it was the end of an era. Twelve months before his death, William King Harvey had been a key witness in the Senate intelligence committee's investigation of the CIA's futile efforts to assassinate Fidel Castro. "

Note 2: David C. Martin's article, The CIA's 'Loaded Gun', is posted on The Harold Weisberg Archive at Hood College, found at http://jfk.hood.edu/. The article is linked at:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/C%20Disk/CIA%20Harvey%20William%20King/Item%2002.pdf

Any copyrights are those of the original copyright owners.

Note 3: Gaeton Fonzi, The Last Investigation (New York: Thunder's Mouth, 1993), p. 368.

Note 4: Dave Phillips had reason to be circumspect about David Morales. According to Phillips's autobiography, The Nightwatch, he had worked with Morales, who he called "El Indio", in 1954 to overthrow Jacob Arbenz in Guatemala, and in other operations. "El Indio" was a paramilitary expert and back-alley man. David Atlee Phillips, The Night Watch (London: Robert Hale Limited, 1977), p. 49. There was apparently a close working relationship between the two men that remains nearly completely in shadow. Dave Morales was the sword to Dave Phillips's pen.

Note 5: Telephone interview with David C. Martin by Steve Rosen, June 28, 2011.

---

Robin Finn, many thanks for posting part of one of the documents already.

Edited by Steve Rosen

• 2 years later...

Jesse Ventura was on Piers Morgan on April 4, 2011 promoting his new book 63 Documents the Government Doesn't Want You to Read.

Morgan asked: John F. Kennedy's assassination ... who did that?

Ventura: It was done by William Harvey, who was the head of the CIA's assassination unit at that time. David Morales was directly involved in it. He likewise is the man, the gentleman who killed Che Guevara, down in Bolivia in '67, when they put him up against the firing wall and killed him, and shot and killed him, Morales was part of that.

Ventura bases this on E. Howard Hunt's somewhat dubious deathbed confession.

Still, it was interesting to hear these names mentioned on prime-time CNN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYKHT2nTUXY&feature=related

Check out the four part interview (the above is part 2 beginning with the JFK part).

It's good, even though Morgan uses a number of straw-man arguments, like (paraphrased) "You believe in every conspiracy!"

Edited by Steve Rosen

And on CNN's American Morning on April 5, 2011:

Kiran Chetry: "63" for when Kennedy was shot, right? Why'd you write the book?

Jesse Ventura: Because Dick Russell and I felt 63 was a great number. That was the year Jack Kennedy was killed ... [On the show Conspiracy Theory] We had a confession. E. Howard Hunt confessed to his son St. John Hunt on his deathbed. He said it was called the "Big Event". He was on the fringes of it. He named who it was. It was William Harvey, who at that time was head of the CIA's assassination team, and David Sanchez Morales. And he is also famous for something else, you know what? He killed Che Guevara, in Bolivia, in 1967, when they put Che against the wall and executed him. Sanchez used to wear Guevara's Rolex as a trophy ... What does it matter today? Because if you can kill our President and get away with it, then what can't you do? I challenge you that.

Again, very interesting to hear these shadowy names bandied about on a brightly-lit morning talk show.

The link is here (about 40 seconds in):

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/05/jesse-ventura-talks-conspiracy-theory-2012-presidential-race/