The Education Forum

P.T. Barnums for the 21st century

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

There are dubious claims made about the mundane and the profound in every walk of life. The JFK assassination research community seems to have more than its share.

P.T. Barnum, the great circus impresario, developed and honed the art of publicity, using unfortunate human specimens as his stock in trade. He paraded people with physical or mental defects, claiming they were "missing links" or possessed sinister histories.

Audiences eagerly lapped up Barnum's bunkum and paid handsomely, making Barnum wealthy. It was only later, after he gained national prominence, that he tried to "class up" his act, relegating the freaks to the regional sideshows.

The JFK research community is largely filled with sincere, logical researchers who are only interested in finding the truth. But in my opinion, it also bears the weight of a fringe element that traffics in Barnum-esque charades.

My rant for the day. :D

There are dubious claims made about the mundane and the profound in every walk of life. The JFK assassination research community seems to have more than its share.

The JFK research community is largely filled with sincere, logical researchers who are only interested in finding the truth. But in my opinion, it also bears the weight of a fringe element that traffics in Barnum-esque charades.

My rant for the day. :ph34r:

This post is potentially very intresting, but it is impossible to evaluate unless and until you name specific names.

Guest Mark Valenti
This post is potentially very intresting, but it is impossible to evaluate unless and until you name specific names.

I plan to but I'm still finding a lot of great material. :ph34r:

I plan to but I'm still finding a lot of great material. :ph34r:

Would it not be much easier, as well as a considerably shorter listing, if one merely addressed those who deal in truth and/or fact?

"There is a moral obligation to take advantage of all suckers"

Attributed to W.C. Fields.