The Education Forum

The Strange Case of Lieutenant J. C. Day

John Simkin

On December 4, 1963, a postal worker noticed a parcel addressed to Lee Oswald in the dead-letter section of the Irving Post Office. According to an FBI report (CD 205), the package was addressed to Oswald at 601 W. Nassaus Street in Dallas, a non-existent address. The package contained a "brown paper bag made of fairly heavy brown paper which bag was open at both ends," which was approximately 18" in length.

Nassaus Window Fashions New Jersey?

Close as I could get...

The testimony of Leonard Edwin Hutchison was taken at 9 a.m., on March 25, 1964, in the office of the U.S. attorney, 301 Post Office Building, Bryan and Ervay Streets, Dallas, Tex. by Mr. Albert E. Jennet, Jr., assistant counsel of the President's Commission.

Mr. Jenner.

Will you rise and be sworn, please?

In the testimony which you are about to give, do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

Mr. Hutchison.

I do.

Mr. Jenner.

And you are Leonard Edwin Hutchinson?

Mr. Hutchison.

It's Hutchison (spelling) H-u-t-c-h-i-s-o-n, Mr. Jenner.

Mr. Jenner.

i-s-o-n?

Mr. Hutchison.

Yes, sir.

Mr. Jenner.

And you live at Scandia Apartments?

Mr. Hutchison.

Yes, sir.

Mr. Jenner.

Apartment No. 505, at 601 West Sixth Street, Irving, Tex.?

Mr. Hutchison.

Yes, sir.

Where does Armstrong get this information from? Your old buddy again. :)

(RIGHT-SLIDE 44) The same day a package was mailed from Irving, Texas to Lee Oswald at 2515 W. 5th St--the Paine's address. It was not delivered because there was $.12 postage due. The package, held at the post office and later opened by U.S. Post Office Inspector Harry Holmes, contained "a long brown bag opened at both ends"--similar to the brown bag found by the Dallas Police in the Book Depository. Had Oswald received and opened the package he would have unwittingly placed his fingerprints on the brown bag--a bag that could have been conveniently placed on the 6th floor of the Book Depository. The expected delivery of a package could have been the reason for Harvey's uncharacteristic trip to Irving on Thursday evening.

May have to look at the original FBI report.

Sorry John Simkin - way off topic here.

- lee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Armstrong referring to a different package?

I remember reading somewhere (God, I hope it wasn't in Posner) that the "paper bag" delivered to Oswald after his death was nothing more than the brown paper shipped on the outside of a magazine. Presumably someone stole the magazine.

Guest John Woods
This one is always worth wondering about.

Day stated before the Warren Commission that he could not testified

in a court room that the prints were Oswald's. However, in the most

recent CBS Special, Day flipfloped.

In my opinion, the only way the DPD was able to get Oswald's

prints were after the FBI visited Oswald's body at Miller Funeral

Home.

johnw

Day stated before the Warren Commission that he could not testified

in a court room that the prints were Oswald's. However, in the most

recent CBS Special, Day flipfloped.

In my opinion, the only way the DPD was able to get Oswald's

prints were after the FBI visited Oswald's body at Miller Funeral

Home.

johnw

Hello John.

I agree. However, there appears to have been something botched here with regards to framing the appropriate case against Oswald. For example, there is the Fraziers [plural] account, which LHO denied - saying something like that they were confused with a different day. Then there is the Yates bit, which, if it is credible, suggests that Frazier's account was unnecessary and redundant - a possible total screw-up.

On the paper bags, who knows to this day what Oswald was supposed to be doing or thinking he was doing the morning of 11/22. The paper bag sent in the mail is odd, particularly if there was some sort of effort to obtain his prints on the paper prior to 11/22.

However, at a minimum, we have a fairly substantial case which appears to indicate that the bag was not on the 6th floor in the so-called sniper corner, where Studebaker drew it in by hand later. The print on the bag was too small to make much of anything. I wonder where that one is today. Anyone know?

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w..._Studebaker.pdf

He's also got that the Exhibit A photo was taken before anything was moved. No bag to be seen - hence, no bag in the corner.

Some explanation is required in order to demonstrate that Oswald simply waltzed into the building with the murder weapon. They created one.

- lee

I remember reading somewhere (God, I hope it wasn't in Posner) that the "paper bag" delivered to Oswald after his death was nothing more than the brown paper shipped on the outside of a magazine. Presumably someone stole the magazine.

Harry did find a correctly addressed Time magazine with a subscription renewal form a couple of weeks or so after the assassination. It seems an elaborate envelope with stitching and a corrugated cardboard with the bag inside. More like what one might expect for fabric with a cardboard stiffener, curtains perhaps. As there is no Nassau street but there is a Nassau Windows Fashion in New jersey and the matter of curtains and rods....speculation: the address is a mistake or wrongly manufactured set of words that are derived from a package that delivered curtains to Lee. The 'new' address is a piece glued over the original. The empty package then somehow ended up with Holmes (I see that's his signature near the post mark) The wrapping was substituted or placed int the TSBD in expectation of fingerprints and the leftovers by mistake ended up in dead letters. In order to obscure it's innocent origins it's wrongly addressed. I don't know. It's a curious one and various people have tried to make sense of it.

Edited by John Dolva

Guest John Woods

Harry did find a correctly addressed Time magazine with a subscription renewal form a couple of weeks or so after the assassination. It seems an elaborate envelope with stitching and a corrugated cardboard with the bag inside. More like what one might expect for fabric with a cardboard stiffener, curtains perhaps. As there is no Nassau street but there is a Nassau Windows Fashion in New jersey and the matter of curtains and rods....speculation: the address is a mistake or wrongly manufactured set of words that are derived from a package that delivered curtains to Lee. The 'new' address is a piece glued over the original. The empty package then somehow ended up with Holmes (I see that's his signature near the post mark) The wrapping was substituted or placed int the TSBD in expectation of fingerprints and the leftovers by mistake ended up in dead letters. In order to obscure it's innocent origins it's wrongly addressed. I don't know. It's a curious one and various people have tried to make sense of it.

It's interesting how when CE-142 is folded back up again it fits the envelope. Also if it's (using the rulers) resized to CE-143. there may be a partial faint outline of the revolver. ??? Speculative for sure, though there is a good match in size and shape of the 'bag' and outlines on the envelope Harry opened.

(image)

EDIT{{ perhaps it is, Antti. where Nassau ct joins Murdock rd is 601 Murdock rd

Edited by John Dolva

It's interesting how when CE-142 is folded back up again it fits the envelope. Also if it's (using the rulers) resized to CE-143. there may be a partial faint outline of the revolver. ??? Speculative for sure, though there is a good match in size and shape of the 'bag' and outlines on the envelope Harry opened.

(image)

EDIT{{ perhaps it is, Antti. where Nassau ct joins Murdock rd is 601 Murdock rd

If the envelope had already been opened by Lee it would explain the fingerprints on the 'bag'. somehow then the envelope ends up back at the post office where Harry swaps the 'bag' with the paper that the FBI later examines, and drops it in 'dead letters'. The bag then makes its way to the sixth-seventh floor TSBD.

Perhaps 601 murdock (which is a vacant lot in 1986 at least) is just an address picked by someone passing there regularly and notes that Nassuas is the same name as the curtain material company and that Lee has written that word in a letter to the company so transposing the word into a street name and making it a dead end just obscures things. (A messy attempt at making sense of things I know)

Edited by John Dolva

Lee Forman Posted Nov 3 2006, 02:24 AM

Lee this FBI statement is quite confusing. This individual is relating an unbelievable story. First off, the distance travelled is 3 miles. At 10:30 a.m. on November 20th or 21st (Wednesday and Thursday), I doubt traffic was an issue, so I assume the trip took maybe 4 minutes total.

How could the person hitch hiking relate all these things in 4 minutes and this fellow remember each thing they said (and showed a photo) with apparently astonishing accuracy? I think either this person made up the whole thing after the fact, or then he's just off his rocker.

The one thing that mitigates in favor of this statement is that it was given so soon after the assassination, just two business days - and four full days - afterward (I only mention 'business days' from the standpoint of someone possibly thinking they couldn't contact the FBI on weekends).

At that point, I don't know (but I'm sure a 'lurker' somewhere will set me straight!) that specifics related to the paper bag or the backyard photos had been released yet. If not, how else could he have known about them?

Moreover, he stated that the events described occurred "at approximately 10:30 AM" on either the Wednesday or Thursday before the shooting, when there is no question that LHO was at work.

Also - if I can attach a map - you'll notice that the Beckley St exit from R.L. Thornton (I-35E ... the same highway as Stemmons Freeway, BTW, just a different section) is almost as far south of 1026 N Beckley as 1026 is south of TSBD: in other words, if it was LHO, he'd have to have gone about as far AWAY from work to hitchhike as he would have had to walk TO work!

(1026 N Beckley is marked by an 'X' and the highway entrance by a 'Y' ... and TSBD by a 'Z')

EDIT: Each square is approximately 1/2 mile

So our Mr Yates may be "off his rocker," but if so, perhaps only as much as people who watched LHO shoot and talked with him at the Sportsdrome, or drove with him from Downtown Lincoln-Mercury.

Of course, if that info was known at the time, then what mitigates against it in most major form is the fact that Yates got the wrong part of Beckley (south of Jefferson ... or "South Beckley") and a bad time. Too bad Dempsey Jones wasn't interviewed as well (or was he?).

Edited by Duke Lane

test 3rd November 2006 - 10:52 PM

Lee Forman Posted Yesterday, 02:24 AM

Lee this FBI statement is quite confusing. This individual is relating an unbelievable story. First off, the distance travelled is 3 miles. At 10:30 a.m. on November 20th or 21st (Wednesday and Thursday), I doubt traffic was an issue, so I assume the trip took maybe 4 minutes total.

How could the person hitch hiking relate all these things in 4 minutes and this fellow remember each thing they said (and showed a photo) with apparently astonishing accuracy? I think either this person made up the whole thing after the fact, or then he's just off his rocker.

Lee Forman Posted Yesterday, 01:02 AM

Anyone looked at the handwriting on this parcel? It sure looks like Lee Oswalds handwriting to me, or whoever was faking Lee's handwriting...

(West) Nassaus St. does not exist, but a Nassau Circle does, I doubt it's of much help.

Edited by Antti Hynonen

... Also - if I can attach a map - you'll notice that the Beckley St exit from R.L. Thornton (I-35E ... the same highway as Stemmons Freeway, BTW, just a different section) is almost as far south of 1026 N Beckley as 1026 is south of TSBD: in other words, if it was LHO, he'd have to have gone about as far AWAY from work to hitchhike as he would have had to walk TO work! ...

I didn't mean to crop R.L. Thornton's full route from the above map because, seeing it - and today, it's pretty much as it was in '63, intersecting with I-30 (which was then the Fort Worth Turnpike, Donald Wayne House's route home ... tho' he didn't quite get that far) in pretty much of a maze.

What you have is two 60-mph four- to six-lane divided highways intersecting and sharing the same roadway for a little more than a half of a mile, with vehicles merging in different directions depending upon where they want to go (east or west on I-30, north or south on I-35E) and where they're coming from.

Add to the mess of the orderly confluence of vehicles the disorder created by people who don't know where they're going (and where to turn off to get there), and people who thought they knew where they were going, but turned out not to have (stopping and slowing down, moving over - or trying to - several lanes, even stopping), plus the fact that there are downtown entrances and exits in the midst of it ... and don't forget the frontage/service road, too!

The point is that, even as short a distance as it is from S Beckley to DP, just negotiating this confluence of highways can take you four minutes, even when traffic's not that heavy.

I'll time it one of these days if I think of it. I just came through the same route as Yates took last Sunday - lots of traffic even then, and more than a little amount of the confusion I'd described - but nobody told me we'd be talking about this then (shame on y'all!! :ph34r: ) so I didn't time it. I'm not even going to estimate how long it took right now because I'm sure to err in either direction by as much time as Antti thinks the whole trip might've taken!