The Education Forum

Photograph (Avatar)

Several people have asked how they can put their photograph (avatar) on the website. What you need to do is the following:

(1) Go to Education Forum

(2) Select My Controls (top, right of the screen).

(3) On the left-hand side click ‘Edit Avatar Settings’ (under Personal Profile).

(4) Go to the bottom of the page where it says ‘Upload a new image from your computer’. Click ‘Browse’.

(5) A box will appear at the top that will show what is on your computer. You now have to find your photograph (best to leave it on your Desktop – if not, find the folder where you have stored it).

(6) Click the image and then click ‘Open’.

(7) Now click ‘Update Avatar’. You picture should now appear on the screen. It will now appear every time you make a posting.

The solution you propose should work but there seems to be a problem, at least when I try to do it. This is the message I get:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information. The error returned was: You are not allowed to upload that type of file as an avatar or personal photo."

The picture I used was a simple jpg-file of the demanded size.

I found a work-around: I put the avatar on my personal website and made a link ("Enter a URL to an online avatar image", on the same page) to that picture.

In the set up there is a choice of adding a Personal Photo and an Avatar. For some reason the Personal Photo feature appears to be disabled. This may be what Chad was refering to in the other thread.

Max

I have just checked it and it seems to be working if you follow these instructions:

Select My Controls (top, right of the screen).

On the left-hand side click ‘Edit Avatar Settings’ (under Personal Profile).

Go to the bottom of the page where it says ‘Upload a new image from your computer’. Click ‘Browse’.

A box will appear at the top that will show what is on your computer. You now have to find your photograph (best to leave it on your Desktop – if not, find the folder where you have stored it).

Click the image and then click ‘Open’.

Now click ‘Update Avatar’. You picture should now appear on the screen. It will now appear every time you make a posting.

Hi John,

I know the Avatar works, I've uploaded one already. I was refering to the control to upload a personal photo, which is in addition to the Avatar. In the Personal profile section it says "Change Personal Photo" below "Edit Avatar Settings". I assume you can have a personal photo in your personal details section, as well as an Avatar to go with your posts. I don't mind it not being enabled, however it would prevent people wasting time trying to use the feature if the menu option didn't exist when the feature is disabled.

It gives the message;

"Sorry, the board administrator has not enabled your permissions for this part of the control panel."

When you click on "Change Personal Photo".

Max

It gives the message;

"Sorry, the board administrator has not enabled your permissions for this part of the control panel."

When you click on "Change Personal Photo".

Max

All fixed now :)

Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier :)