The Education Forum

New US Congress

Thanks to Myra and Bill for keeping this important thread on the board.

Just read it in full, and thanks Bill for your overview of how the committee system operates and your diligence in keeping this hope alive. Now is an important time for American members of the Forum to write to Congressmen, especially those represented by Waxman and Clay. (I don't suppose anyone has spoken to either of these guys or otherwise know if they share our special obsession with closure on JFK).

I like Peter Lemkin's suggestions, especially the suggestion that a bigtime Hollywood star could lend weight to the urgency of JFK oversight hearings. I've heard Bruce Willis, among others, has a thing about the JFK assassination, stressing this is only gossip.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, now you have exhibited your ignorance about the American political process.

A big time star is unlikely to influence Congress.

Most members are influenced by those persons who can vote for them.

In order to get Congress to act, IMO, it will be necessary to first build a groundswell of public support (e.g. what led to the passage of the JFK Records Act) and a clear education of the MC re why a new investigation would not be simply a rehash of the WC and the HSCA. I think every MC ought to receive a carefully prepared brief on a few topics, e.g. (1) the importance of the NAA to the HSCA determination of a single shooter and the new challenges to the NAA analysis of Guinn; and (2) the Joannides matter.

It is possible Hollywood celebrities could assist in building public support for a new investigation but at least IMO MC are too sophisticated to be swayed by celebrity. My congresswoman is going to care more about how I assess her vote on the issue than what Bruce Willis might think about it, notwithstanding the fact that Mr. Willis is a great patriot.

And by the way, Mark, "keeping hope alive" is less important than: (1) developing a plan (with counsel from many, particularly those with experience in political matters); and (2) acting on the plan.

With regard to (1) I think a review of the passage of the JFK Records Act would be important. Who were the MCs who pushed for that legislation? Are any still in Congress? I think that might be important initial research.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Mark, now you have exhibited your ignorance about the American political process.

A big time star is unlikely to influence Congress.

Most members are influenced by those persons who can vote for them.

In order to get Congress to act, IMO, it will be necessary to first build a groundswell of public support (e.g. what led to the passage of the JFK Records Act) and a clear education of the MC re why a new investigation would not be simply a rehash of the WC and the HSCA. I think every MC ought to receive a carefully prepared brief on a few topics, e.g. (1) the importance of the NAA to the HSCA determination of a single shooter and the new challenges to the NAA analysis of Guinn; and (2) the Joannides matter.

It is possible Hollywood celebrities could assist in building public support for a new investigation but at least IMO MC are too sophisticated to be swayed by celebrity. My congresswoman is going to care more about how I assess her vote on the issue than what Bruce Willis might think about it, notwithstanding the fact that Mr. Willis is a great patriot.

And by the way, Mark, "keeping hope alive" is less important than: (1) developing a plan (with counsel from many, particularly those with experience in political matters); and (2) acting on the plan.

With regard to (1) I think a review of the passage of the JFK Records Act would be important. Who were the MCs who pushed for that legislation? Are any still in Congress? I think that might be important initial research.

Gee Tim, I thought you were on our side. No, I didn't really think that.

Mark said:

Gee Tim, I thought you were on our side. No, I didn't really think that.

Well, of course you did not.

I am on the side of those who want to solve the assassination regardless of who did it.

For the sake of our history if nothing else.

It really matters very little what you or I think since neither of us knows who really did it. The important thing, IMO, is to try to solve it while witnesses are still alive.

If you have any ideas to contribute re how to achieve a new investigation, those would be appreciated, Mark.

I think it may be important to see which MCs took the lead in passing the JFK Act and its extension since they might be willing to lead a new fight whether for a SP or just complete release of all documents as Bill suggests. I am trying to track down that information. I know the Act passed unanimously but I want to identify the sponsors of the Act.

Mark, you are such a wise guy. But I KNEW you would have nothing substantive to contribute.

I say the proof of who wants to solve the assassination is who is working for a new investigation and not who can make sarcastic comments and post little funny faces. Again I would invite you to share any substantive ideas you may have.

From the 1992 History of Bills Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]

H. Res. 326--Resolution requiring that the records of the Select

Committee on Assassinations of the 94th and 95th Congresses be

made available for public use; to the Committee on House

Administration.

By Mr. DeFAZIO

Mr. DeFazio is still in Congress and when the time is right he ought to be contacted about this subject.

From his web-site:

Congressman Peter DeFazio was first elected to the U.S. Congress in 1986. He is dean of the Oregon House delegation, and represents southwest Oregon from Corvallis in the north, down to the California border-from the west coast to the Cascade Mountains.

The ten-term member sits on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, where he serves as Chair of the House Subcommittee on Highways and Transit. He also serves on the Aviation and Railroad Subcommittees.

DeFazio also serves on the House Committee on Homeland Security, where he sits on the Subcommittee on Transportation Security and Infrastructure Protection.

Mark, I can indeed see the joke.

Everytime I see you have added a post I hope you will contribute something other than a snide remark. To date, no such luck, but I retain hope.

You see I am not a phoney; rather I am an eternal optimist.

Don't be modest---you're much more than that.

Insofar as contributions are concerned, it's you rather than me that matters. I live in Australia but you live in Florida. Representatives Waxman (LA) and Clay (Missouri) are your key contacts.

By all accounts, Waxman has an impressive record in health and environmental issues. Sounds like a decent fellow. You don't have a problem with liberal Democrats, do you?

From the 1994 History of Bills Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]

H.R. 4569--A bill to extend and make amendments to the President John

F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992; to the

Committee on Government Operations.

By Mr. CONYERS (for himself and Mr. Clinger), H4390 [13JN]

Rules suspended. Passed House as amended, H5526 [12JY]

Text, H5526 [12JY]

Referred to the Committee on Governmental Affairs, S9030 [14JY]

Reported with amendments (no written report), S10357 [2AU]

Passed Senate as amended, S11185 [10AU]

Rules suspended. House concurred in Senate amendments, H9876 [27SE]

Examined and signed in the House, H10006 [28SE]

Presented to the President, H10444 [30SE]

It appears that Rep. Conyers was also instrumental when the act was extended in 1994.

I think he may be a key. He is a member of the Judiciary Committee.

It would also be worthwhile to determine which members of the HSCA are still in Congress. Of course Chris Dodd is a presidential candidate.

Rep. Clinger is now longer in Congress.

Edited by Tim Gratz

The members of the HSCA:

Louis Stokes, (Ohio), Chairman

Retired from Congress in 1999.

Richardson Preyer, (North Carolina)

Died in 2001.

Walter E. Fauntroy, (District of Columbia)

No longer in Congress but a very impressive CV. He was Martin Luther King's representative to Presidents JFK and LBJ. I am sure he retains much influence.

Yvonne Brathwaite Burke, (California)

No longer in Congress but her husband is a prominent philanthropist. Hmm.

Christopher Dodd, (Connecticut)

Candidate for POTUS

Harold Ford, Sr., (Tennessee)

No longer in Congress but his son is.

Floyd Fithian, (Indiana)

Died in 2003.

Robert Edgar, (Pennsylvania)

No longer in Congress but the president of Common Cause.

Samuel L. Devine, (Ohio)

Died in 1997.

Stewart McKinney, (Connecticut)

Died in 1987.

Charles Thone, (Nebraska)

Alive but no longer a MC.

Harold S. Sawyer, (Michigan)

Deceased 2003

Well this exercise produced some interesting possibilities. I assume each of these people who is still alive is as upset about the Joannides matter as Blakey is. Depending on one's theology, the deceased members may know the answer to how much the HSCA got right.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Rev Edgar, now the President of Common Cause, dissented from the HSCA finding of a conspiracy.

Here is a relevant quote from his dissent:

I saw little evidence of a conspiracy. I saw little evidence of a second shooter. And until further study of the acoustics work is undertaken, I will stand by my belief that Lee Harvey Oswald acted as the lone assassin.

So I assume we'd get little or no help from Rev. Edgar.

Fot what it is worth, Rep. Sawyer (now deceased) also dissented and proposed a finding that LHO was the "sole assassin".

Edited by Tim Gratz

I think it would be good and important for us to contact the surviving HSCA congressmen and get their support for a Grand Jury and also on the release of the Joannides files.

We can tell them that Blakey now says he was duped by the Agency regarding Joannides and also ask them to share their memories of the HSCA and what they think of the case now.

One question to ask them would be "If you had to do the HSCA all over again in this day and age, what would that be?"

Obviously, they could tell us that it would be getting more time and money. We can also get other HSCA people like Bob Tannenbaum, Cliff Fenton, Eddie Lopez, Gaeton Fonzi, and Danny Hardway on our side too.

Wonder what Rev. Edgar has to say about the case now and if he has any regrets?

Comments?

Glad to see your interest.

What you are suggesting is JUST what I had in mind!

I totally agree also about assembling the staff members. There is also F A O Schwarz, Jr from the Church Committee, a very well-respected well-connected Manhattan attorney and Patricia or is it Pamela Orr who I understand is very close to Hilary Clinton.

I suspect it highly unlikely Rev Edgar has changed his mind.

Edited by Tim Gratz