The Education Forum

The "seamingly" obvious

OK so how exactly did the bullet that caused the injury to the guy down at the overpass work?

It couldn't of come apart going through the tree because that would mean a bullet going through similar physics would have come apart piercing JFK and Connally.

Changing direction by about 15 or 20 degrees (from a downward shot to an upward trajectory) would have taken off a lot of speed - a LOT - from a medium HP bullet in the first place.. What would have happened?...a whole bunch - and it would likely have turned said bullet into a tumbling piece of 1000 fps (or less) shrapnel.

There wasn't any "change-of-direction" bullet after hitting a tree...that an experienced shooter wouldn't have shot through in the first place. .............. It was straight from Dal=Tex. ;) trust me. :ph34r:

that bullet simply glided over JFK's head because there is a slow elevation change at that point on Dealy Plaza. It goes down hill.

Mr. SHANEYFELT. Even under the tree you still could see the car and the President through the tree.

It was straight from Dal=Tex. ;) trust me. B)

Or else:

It was straight from "Black Dog Man"

It was straight from "Badge Man"

It was straight from "Sewer Drain Man"

or else

The body of JFK was kidnapped and the wounds were altered and the brain was switched.

Or else, according to the National Enquirer, long ago, JFK was still living and on a remote

island where he was taken care of due to the severe brain damage which he incurred.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can not speak for "city folk", but us ole country boys ain't that dumb or stupid!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mistake!

I had assumed that you were experienced enough to know that if one can see the target through the foliage, that they can also track the target in their sight and/or scope.

And thereafter immediately fire on the target the second that it clears any foliage/obstructions, etc.

Unfortunately for inexperienced shooters utilizing a scope:

Line-of-sight IS NOT line-of-flight at ranges of 68 yards or so, especially with a scope which is mounted some 2-inches higher than the centerline of rifle bore.

P.S. Rest assured that many have shot through the foliage and/or brush/trees at animals and man.

And got their target.

However, as stated, the prudent person would track and wait for the clear shot.

My mistake!

I had assumed that you were experienced enough to know that if one can see the target through the foliage, that they can also track the target in their sight and/or scope.

And thereafter immediately fire on the target the second that it clears any foliage/obstructions, etc.

Line-of-sight IS NOT line-of-flight at ranges of 68 yards or so, especially with a scope which is mounted some 2-inches higher than the centerline of rifle bore.

P.S. Rest assured that many have shot through the foliage and/or brush/trees at animals and man.

And got their target.

Hey Purv, how are you doing these days? Just got back from a great time down in Austin. But, before I left I noticed, in my "Bookmarks," where I'd saved some information I'd gotten regarding that Barrett firearms manufacturer out of Murfreesboro, TN? The company that makes those .50 caliber rifles? Specifically the 95, 99, 107, and the 468 that if used with a 661 grain projectile loaded to a M33 ball, has a range of 8800 meters, or 7450 yards which translates into roughly, 4.2 miles. Now, not to change the subject entirely on the MLCC, or be accused of hijacking this thread, could you tell me what kind of target you would likely take down with that Barrett .50 caliber firearm? Seeing as my friend, John V. Ritchson is no longer with us on this earthly plane to consult with on a regular basis, with respect to these matters.

Thanks,

Ter :rolleyes:

My mistake!

And got their target.

Hey Purv, how are you doing these days? Just got back from a great time down in Austin. But, before I left I noticed, in my "Bookmarks," where I'd saved some information I'd gotten regarding that Barrett firearms manufacturer out of Murfreesboro, TN? The company that makes those .50 caliber rifles? Specifically the 95, 99, 107, and the 468 that if used with a 661 grain projectile loaded to a M33 ball, has a range of 8800 meters, or 7450 yards which translates into roughly, 4.2 miles. Now, not to change the subject entirely on the MLCC, or be accused of hijacking this thread, could you tell me what kind of target you would likely take down with that Barrett .50 caliber firearm? Seeing as my friend, John V. Ritchson is no longer with us on this earthly plane to consult with on a regular basis, with respect to these matters.

Thanks,

Ter :rolleyes:

And a good morning to you Terry, my most favorite former New Orleans resident.

It is assumed that your question is actually exactly what were the .50 calibers utilized for????

If not the correct question, then my mistake.

First off, in event that you have missed out on it:

http://www.answers.com/topic/general-motor...tcar-conspiracy

Having long ago drug William Pawley & his Miami & Havanna street car ownership out into the open, one truly needs to look at those who were behind these activities. Which of course included Standard Oil of California, as well as the Goodyear Tire Company, who's President was a frequent golf player at the La Gorce Country Club in Miami, which Pawley was part owner with, along with George Smather's father.

Not to mention of course, ole "Hugh Purvis", as well as Sally, Lawyer for the Sugar industry.

One may find it of some strange coincidence that a Standard Oil (S. American Subsidary) employee who lived down around Miami, accidentally encountered LHO on his trip to Mexico.

Just did not want you to miss out on your old favorite, Standard Oil.

And of course, one may want to ultimately see if Firestone Tire and Rubber had any interests down in Brazil as well.

Anyway, back to the .50 Caliber.

It's predecessor was the .30 Caliber water cooled browning of WW1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Model_1917_machine_gun

And as indicated, the water cooled browning stayed around for many years, even though it lost it's title as the "Heavy" machine gun, when the .50 caliber came out.

We still had the water cooled in the Army National Guard in the early 1960', . But then again, we also had the M1-Garand as well.

Nevertheless, the .30 caliber water cooled created some problems with WW1, in addition to the requirement for having a supply of water in order to maintain it's maximum cyclic rate of fire.

Also, WW1 gave us the first true usage of armor (tanks), and the .30 caliber was not sufficient to affect this new advent in warfare.

Therefore, the advent of the .50 caliber as the primary "Heavy" machine gun of ground combat forces.

And, it was thereafter equipped with an extreme variety of rounds which included everything from the armor piercing to the WP/tracer round.

Thereafter, a wide variety of usage for the .50 caliber was done, and it was utilized in everything from Anti-aircraft weaponery to single shot "spotter" rounds which were fired from tanks for range verification, as well as from anti-tank type weapons.

The .50 caliber also saw usage in aircraft as well.

So, although there was reported usage of the .50 caliber as a long range sniper rifle, this would have been extremely rare in it's usage.

It was primarily an anti-vehicle/anti-tank/anti-bunker(emplacement)/anti-aircraft weapon which due to it's firepower/range, could penetrate armor as well as eat up a concrete bunker if necessary, from an extreme range.

And, with a common load being every fifth round in the belt being a tracer round, it was quite easy to adjust fire onto the target from such long ranges.

You will also find that Western Cartridge Company (maker of the 6.5mm Carcano ammo), also produced rounds for the U.S. Government, in the .50 Caliber as well.

Somewhere, I have a few of these old rounds which I managed to acquire, just to document the WCC's long history of US armament association.

Hope that was what you were looking for.

Tom

So old that the only "bunnies" in my life are Barbara's grouping of flop-eared rabbits.

My mistake!

And got their target.

Thanks,

Ter :D

It is assumed that your question is actually exactly what were the .50 calibers utilized for????

Having long ago drug William Pawley & his Miami & Havanna street car ownership out into the open, one truly needs to look at those who were behind these activities. Which of course included Standard Oil of California, as well as the Goodyear Tire Company, who's President was a frequent golf player at the La Gorce Country Club in Miami, which Pawley was part owner with, along with George Smather's father.

Not to mention of course, ole "Hugh Purvis", as well as Sally, Lawyer for the Sugar industry.

One may find it of some strange coincidence that a Standard Oil (S. American Subsidary) employee who lived down around Miami, accidentally encountered LHO on his trip to Mexico.

And of course, one may want to ultimately see if Firestone Tire and Rubber had any interests down in Brazil as well.

And as indicated, the water cooled browning stayed around for many years, even though it lost it's title as the "Heavy" machine gun, when the .50 caliber came out.

We still had the water cooled in the Army National Guard in the early 1960', . But then again, we also had the M1-Garand as well.

Nevertheless, the .30 caliber water cooled created some problems with WW1, in addition to the requirement for having a supply of water in order to maintain it's maximum cyclic rate of fire.

Also, WW1 gave us the first true usage of armor (tanks), and the .30 caliber was not sufficient to affect this new advent in warfare.

Therefore, the advent of the .50 caliber as the primary "Heavy" machine gun of ground combat forces.

And, it was thereafter equipped with an extreme variety of rounds which included everything from the armor piercing to the WP/tracer round.

Thereafter, a wide variety of usage for the .50 caliber was done, and it was utilized in everything from Anti-aircraft weaponery to single shot "spotter" rounds which were fired from tanks for range verification, as well as from anti-tank type weapons.

So, although there was reported usage of the .50 caliber as a long range sniper rifle, this would have been extremely rare in it's usage.

It was primarily an anti-vehicle/anti-tank/anti-bunker(emplacement)/anti-aircraft weapon which due to it's firepower/range, could penetrate armor as well as eat up a concrete bunker if necessary, from an extreme range.

And, with a common load being every fifth round in the belt being a tracer round, it was quite easy to adjust fire onto the target from such long ranges.

You will also find that Western Cartridge Company (maker of the 6.5mm Carcano ammo), also produced rounds for the U.S. Government, in the .50 Caliber as well.

Somewhere, I have a few of these old rounds which I managed to acquire, just to document the WCC's long history of US armament association.

Tom

So old that the only "bunnies" in my life are Barbara's grouping of flop-eared rabbits.

Forgot to add this, in order that one does not have to take my word for anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_machine_gun

Edited by Thomas H. Purvis

My mistake!

And got their target.

Thanks,

Ter B)

Tom

My mistake!

And got their target.

Thanks,

Ter B)

Tom

Forgot to add this, in order that one does not have to take my word for anything.

"Just did not want you to miss out on your old favorite, Standard Oil.

And of course, one may want to ultimately see if Firestone Tire and Rubber had any interests down in Brazil as well."

Yep, that's exactly what my Dad told me when they started tearing up and paving over the old trolley tracks that had once run under that section that was left of the Third Avenue El in the Bronx, and were still in place under the Broadway Uptown El until 1957.

"It was primarily an anti-vehicle/anti-tank/anti-bunker(emplacement)/anti-aircraft weapon which due to it's firepower/range, could penetrate armor as well as eat up a concrete bunker if necessary, from an extreme range. And, with a common load being every fifth round in the belt being a tracer round, it was quite easy to adjust fire onto the target from such long ranges."

WOW!!! That's exactly what I wanted to find out. And hey, I knew you'd come through for me, Purv!

Now I know why my brother got all upset with me asking him for specifics on the .50 while he was calling me from his cellphone. It sounds like a mini-rocket launcher. And, what's even more bizarre is that the M 107 is 57 inches long! That's 3 inches shorter than me, in height! And, weighing in at 34 lbs., trying to hoist that up on my shoulder would knock me flat on my ass before I'd had a chance to even site it in, let alone put my finger on the trigger! Not to mention the pricetag of $7,750.00, could choke a horse! I think I'll stick with my little Chinese SKS. Nice looking piece of equipment though, for some big dude, that is.

"So old that the only "bunnies" in my life are Barbara's grouping of flop-eared rabbits."

Yeah, but you still have this "old" bunny in your life, now. And, I appreciate you, and the knowledge you bring to this forum, Purv. You can always get my picture in New Orleans from Dawnie, if you want. I'm sure Barb wouldn't mind. After all, it's 41, almost 42 years old, nowadays. We all get old. It's that inevitable part of life.

Anyhoola, thanks mucho for the info on my favorite rifle, seeing as they don't tell you too much about what the capabilities of it are really all about, on their website. -_-

Edited by Terry Mauro

My mistake!

And got their target.

Thanks,

Ter B)

Tom

My mistake!

And got their target.

Thanks,

Ter B)

Tom

And of course, one may want to ultimately see if Firestone Tire and Rubber had any interests down in Brazil as well."

Yep, that's exactly what my Dad told me when they started tearing up and paving over the old trolley tracks that had once run under that section that was left of the Third Avenue El in the Bronx, and were still in place under the Broadway Uptown El until 1957.

"It was primarily an anti-vehicle/anti-tank/anti-bunker(emplacement)/anti-aircraft weapon which due to it's firepower/range, could penetrate armor as well as eat up a concrete bunker if necessary, from an extreme range. And, with a common load being every fifth round in the belt being a tracer round, it was quite easy to adjust fire onto the target from such long ranges."

WOW!!! That's exactly what I wanted to find out. And hey, I knew you'd come through for me, Purv!

Now I know why my brother got all upset with me asking him for specifics on the .50 while he was calling me from his cellphone. It sounds like a mini-rocket launcher. And, what's even more bizarre is that the M 107 is 57 inches long! That's 3 inches shorter than me, in height! And, weighing in at 34 lbs., trying to hoist that up on my shoulder would knock me flat on my ass before I'd had a chance to even site it in, let alone put my finger on the trigger! Not to mention the pricetag of $7,750.00, could choke a horse! I think I'll stick with my little Chinese SKS. Nice looking piece of equipment though, for some big dude, that is.

"So old that the only "bunnies" in my life are Barbara's grouping of flop-eared rabbits."

Yeah, but you still have this "old" bunny in your life, now. And, I appreciate you, and the knowledge you bring to this forum, Purv. You can always get my picture in New Orleans from Dawnie, if you want. I'm sure Barb wouldn't mind. After all, it's 41, almost 42 years old, nowadays. We all get old. It's that inevitable part of life.

Anyhoola, thanks mucho for the info on my favorite rifle, seeing as they don't tell you too much about what the capabilities of it are really all about, on their website. -_-

OK

But I still believe that I got somewhat off track and did not go into the .50 caliber rifle which on re-read, you addressed.

The NVA had snipers who utilized a large caliber bolt action rifle, almost of the .50caliber.

And, the .50 in a rifle form can make an excellent sniper type weapon, as well as the fact that it will penetrate virtually any body armor (bullet proof vests) known to exist.

So, other than hunting elephants and T-Rex, the rifle does have limited tactical usage against personnel targets, especially if one wants to shoot through something to strike the target.

Just that they are not usually engaged at the ranges at which it is capable of.

Thanks,

Ter -_-

Tom

Anyhoola, thanks mucho for the info on my favorite rifle, seeing as they don't tell you too much about what the capabilities of it are really all about, on their website.

OK

But I still believe that I got somewhat off track and did not go into the .50 caliber rifle which on re-read, you addressed.

"The NVA had snipers who utilized a large caliber bolt action rifle, almost of the .50caliber.

And, the .50 in a rifle form can make an excellent sniper type weapon, as well as the fact that it will penetrate virtually any body armor (bullet proof vests) known to exist.

So, other than hunting elephants and T-Rex, the rifle does have limited tactical usage against personnel targets, especially if one wants to shoot through something to strike the target. Just that they are not usually engaged at the ranges at which it is capable of."

And, I'm still inquiring with regard to the single bolt action rifle here too, Purv. I guess I should've made that clearer. But, they all appear to have the same 4.2 mile range, be it for Military, S.W.A.T., or Civilian issue, according to the specs listed on the Barrett website, and recommended with a 661 grain M33 ball. So, the weight of the load you were using would no doubt have an effect the range, wouldn't it?

Edited by Terry Mauro

Thanks,

Ter B)

Tom

Anyhoola, thanks mucho for the info on my favorite rifle, seeing as they don't tell you too much about what the capabilities of it are really all about, on their website.

OK

"The NVA had snipers who utilized a large caliber bolt action rifle, almost of the .50caliber.

So, other than hunting elephants and T-Rex, the rifle does have limited tactical usage against personnel targets, especially if one wants to shoot through something to strike the target. Just that they are not usually engaged at the ranges at which it is capable of."

And, I'm still inquiring with regard to the single bolt action rifle here too, Purv. I guess I should've made that clearer. But, they all appear to have the same 4.2 mile range, be it for Military, S.W.A.T., or Civilian issue, according to the specs listed on the Barrett website, and recommended with a 661 grain M33 ball. So, the weight of the load you were using would no doubt have an effect the range, wouldn't it?

Ammo weight is naturally a key element of range, as is the actual grains of powder, and projectile design.

If recalled correctly, the armor piercing rounds had a little something extra in the amount of powder, thus adding to the velocity and it's impact energies.

No doubt, they are making a variety of "specialized" ammo for these weapons and with the range of the rifle, they have brought personnel targets well into ranges in which the uneducated target may think that he is home free.

Not much use in the jungles, but in the open desert type area, this could be of benefit.

No doubt, the concept came from the usage of the .50 caliber as a "spotter round" in range determination for tanks as well as the old recoiless rifles/anti-tank weapons.

Now, with the advent of laser targeting systems, one can determine range without the need for spotter rounds, and in the case of the .50 caliber and a trained/skilled operator, acquire first round hits at tremedous ranges.

Thanks,

Ter B)

Tom

OK

Ammo weight is naturally a key element of range, as is the actual grains of powder, and projectile design.

If recalled correctly, the armor piercing rounds had a little something extra in the amount of powder, thus adding to the velocity and it's impact energies.

No doubt, they are making a variety of "specialized" ammo for these weapons and with the range of the rifle, they have brought personnel targets well into ranges in which the uneducated target may think that he is home free.

Not much use in the jungles, but in the open desert type area, this could be of benefit.

No doubt, the concept came from the usage of the .50 caliber as a "spotter round" in range determination for tanks as well as the old recoiless rifles/anti-tank weapons.

Now, with the advent of laser targeting systems, one can determine range without the need for spotter rounds, and in the case of the .50 caliber and a trained/skilled operator, acquire first round hits at tremedous ranges.

Thanks,

Ter :)

Tom

OK

Thanks for setting the record straight for me on that, Purv.

Much obliged.

Ter