The Education Forum

A 'golden spiral' calculation.

John Dolva

Here's something that I think could be done.

There seems to be a number of arcs around the edge of the wound and also in the walls inside the wound that make sense by considering a shape like a galactic spiral or perhaps a golden spiral for which mathematical formulae exist.

So, by comparing the spiral in the wound to a pure spiral viewed head on perhaps then by noting the shifts one can then determine the axis whereby the wound spiral would be viewed head on, This then would be the direction a rotating bullet would have to come from.

Anyway, it's beyond me to do it but in case an imaginative mathematician sees value in the idea and is prepared to tackle it here's the idea. Perhaps by knowing the dimensions of the bullet the speed the bullet entering the skin and the corresponding twist can be derived.

Perhaps this image illustrates the idea.

I think each curve on any of these three dimensional spirals has a definite relationship to any other portion of the spiral. So, perhaps if one coud define two or three arcs on the wound it is possible to derive the entire spiral and thus its axis which is the trajectory?

(image)