The Education Forum

How much attention is the anniversary getting in your country?

I'm pleasantly surprised at the fact that so many from countries other than the US work so hard to tell the truth about President Kennedy's life and death.

In fact one question I have is why those in other countries care so much. Presumably one big reason is that the US impacts so many other countries. But it would be interesting to hear from... people who aren't me.

I'm especially curious about the amount of media attention, or general awareness, there is in other countries about the anniversary.

From what I've seen, there's almost none here.

Didn't see anything at websites: CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Wash Post, Forth Worth Whatever.

But then there is breaking news about one turkey pardoning another turkey, so I suppose it's understandable...

There's something at the Dallas Morning News site:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...gs.32b654b.html

What have others found, either in the US or in other countries?

And I posted this at Lancer, but it's my new favorite, and esp. appropriate to this post, so I gotta include it:

Well if I was hoping for more truthful accounts from other countries then this BBC BS doesn't bode well:

http://tinyurl.com/t7hjw

Party line, all the way.

Quote from the above article:

But conspiracy enthusiasts quickly turned the assassination into one of the most disputed events in modern history, with theories ranging from claims it was an elaborately staged suicide to the driver being the murderer.

Enough to make one angry.

Well if I was hoping for more truthful accounts from other countries then this BBC BS doesn't bode well:

http://tinyurl.com/t7hjw

Party line, all the way.

No, I wouldn't expect much from the BBC's version of history regarding JFK. That page is biased as was their coverage on the 40th anniversary in 2003. A lot of us in the UK were very angry about the TV special that was aired and made out to be the 'definitive answer'. All the BBC did was show the same programme that you had in the US that was presented by Peter Jennings I think but used their own presenter. What made it worse is that the guy who did the UK version was Gavin Esler one of their political correspondants (who should have known better)who also hosts Newsnight on BBC 2. To call that JFK programme biased would be an understatement. Some of my fellow members of DPUK wrote to the BBC complaining about it but never received a reply. Big surprise there.

I'm still very suprised that film about RFK made it onto BBC 2.

Btw, no coverage in the UK on TV I've seen from scanning the tv listings. Nothing in the online papers either. I;ve noticed that the media here don't tend to publicise the anniversary every year unless it's a big one. The 30th and 40th anniversaries had quite a lot of coverage. I expect the next lot will be the 45th.

In Fort Worth, zero newspaper. On TV, a one sentence coverage ala

TODAY IS THE DAY IN HISTORY THAT LEE HARVEY OSWALD MURDERED

PRESIDENT KENNEDY IN DALLAS....

...and so it goes.

Jack

Germany,

nothing major on the Telly yesterday, as far as I am aware of.

But to be fair, there were/are quite a lot of broadcasts about the Kennedy assassination,

including some of the theories surrounding it, on TV usualy and as late as last sunday.

Highlight for me, cause I knew all the other material more or less already, was the re-broadcast of the live

transmission of JFK's visit to Berlin in full length.

Why nothing (major) today, well one explanation for it is, that usualy the different stations remember

a deceased or major event after 1,2, then 5 and from then on every 5 years, if at all.

Edited by Dave Weaver

I was channel surfing for over an hour, and I saw not one mention of the anniversary of the assassination on any of the major news channels. Not on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, or the local news channels. That is really surprising, because the mainstream news outlets have always managed to provide the most insightful and stimulating information in the past..............NOT!

West OZ: There were mentions in the news. Later in the evening a standup comedian milked it a bit and then a local community run station ran an episode if 'texas postcards' showing some footage from the time including a b/w version of the z-film, and a tour of the 6th floor. Most TV viewers would probably at some time have been reminded of the anniversary.

Myra,

In Australia there has been no coverage that I am aware of. The History Channel ran 'JFK: A Presidency Revealed' but that's it.

James

The radio program Coast to Coast did a fairly extensive show last night. Unfortunately, they spent 2 hours interviewing 90 year old Paul Groody(LHO's mortician). He still claims it wasn't LHO's head that was exhumed. He also contradicted some of the things he said in his TMWKK interview. I saw nothing on the national or local newscasts or their websites. What a freakin shame.

RJS

It was mentioned on BBC Radio 2 but that was all. However, we did have the BBC Newsnight programme on the assassination of RFK. It was broadcast on what would have been his 81st birthday. See:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...=126&t=8594

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1952393,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2006/..._kennedy_1.html

Myra,

In Australia there has been no coverage that I am aware of. The History Channel ran 'JFK: A Presidency Revealed' but that's it.

James

The radio program Coast to Coast did a fairly extensive show last night. Unfortunately, they spent 2 hours interviewing 90 year old Paul Groody(LHO's mortician). He still claims it wasn't LHO's head that was exhumed. He also contradicted some of the things he said in his TMWKK interview. I saw nothing on the national or local newscasts or their websites. What a freakin shame.

RJS

Its pathetic. Here in the U.S. [specifically here in Jersey] the only thing that was on TV last night was a 1 hour show on our local PBS channel [12]. It was about all of the media coverage that was shown from the assassination to the funeral. Alot of good clips, some i have never seen before, including most of the live "errors" that were made. [reported deaths of other people, etc...] The only way i found out about it was a mention of it on the local NPR radio station i listen to. Nothing else. You would think one of other major cable channels would have had something on about it. There always has been something on somewhere about the anniversary. I guess the History channel finally gave it up, along with the others. Its a damn shame. There was probably more on about it in other countries, than here in his own country! Pathetic!

Hi Francesca,

Yes Gavin Esler replacing the Peter Jennings presentation of the ABC News broadcast 'The Kennedy Assassination' BEYOND CONSPIRACY.

The BBC version (don’t laugh) The Kennedy Assassination ‘The SIMPLE TRUTH’

I fired off an ‘E’ mail to Esler titled:- Simple yes, Truth No. I didn’t receive a reply.

I was also surprised at the lack of coverage on any of the (now many) channels in the UK.

As a new member of DEALY PLAZA UK I will try to get down to the ‘Smoke’ in the New Year for one of the groups meetings.

Regards

Chris Brown.

Hi Francesca,

Yes Gavin Esler replacing the Peter Jennings presentation of the ABC News broadcast 'The Kennedy Assassination' BEYOND CONSPIRACY.

The BBC version (don’t laugh) The Kennedy Assassination ‘The SIMPLE TRUTH’

I fired off an ‘E’ mail to Esler titled:- Simple yes, Truth No. I didn’t receive a reply.

I was also surprised at the lack of coverage on any of the (now many) channels in the UK.

As a new member of DEALY PLAZA UK I will try to get down to the ‘Smoke’ in the New Year for one of the groups meetings.

Regards

Chris Brown.

Hi Chris, it would be good to see you if you can make it down sometime!