The Education Forum

Breakthrough or CIA Disinformation?

John Simkin

There seems to be a concerted CIA drive to focus research on Cuba. The CIA and sponsored elements like Bosch have been working to destabilise the Cuban government for 46 years. Does it make sense that (particularly as part of the economic terrorism waged on Cuba is the funding of groups and individuals who serve this cause irrespective of the truthfulness of their efforts) these people who are now talking are no longer part of this overall effort? Perhaps they live to 'talk' because they talk in the approved manner. What alternative scenario is it that they wish people to not look at?

Of course the Kennedys were willing to do deals with these southern politicians whoever they were. Up to a point. When push came to shove they were prepared to send in the military and arrest promonent figures. Kennedy was an inclusionist, but he had limits defined by his true self.

The notion of Kennedy as soft on civil right comes from the left of him. It's certainly not as the southern sixties status militant right saw him. To them he was a subversive communist who threatened the constitution. A traitor deserving of death.

I have had several emails from other researchers suggesting that something of importance might be going on. For example, the favourable article in the Times about JFK researchers, the BBC piece about the RFK assassination and the resulting publicity in the Guardian and the BBC Newsnight Forum. Then last night C4 showed Dollan Cannell’s documentary, “638 ways to Kill Fidel Castro”. E. Howard Hunt, Antonio Veciana, Felix I. Rodriguez, Orlando Bosch and Luis Posada were interviewed in the film and this morning three of our main daily newspapers wrote stories about the activities of anti-Castro militants in Miami. My sources tell me that Cannell’s film will lead to another documentary inspired by the interview Veciana gave about the JFK assassination.

The work of Shane O’Sullivan and Dollan Cannell are both linked to book deals. I have also been informed that a major publisher is looking to commission books on the subject of political assassinations.

It is possible that this flurry of activity only reflects the time of year (the anniversary of JFK’s death and RFK’s birthday). However, it is possible that something else is happening.

John Dolva has suggested that this might “be a concerted CIA drive to focus research on Cuba”. I am not convinced that is what is happening. Both O’Sullivan and Cannell received no help from the CIA in making their films. In fact, they were highly uncooperative. What is true is that some former CIA officers and contract workers are willing to talk to filmmakers. Some of these men are closely connected to the CIA attempts to remove Castro.

I think it is understandable that these anti-Castro militants are willing to talk to UK filmmakers. They are obviously feeling that the current president has betrayed them in the same way his predecessors have. They want to see Castro removed by force before they die. Or more importantly, before Castro dies. If that means exposing the role the CIA played in these events, so be it.

This is not to say the CIA is going to be inactive in responding to these disclosures. I suspect they are busy in a major disinformation campaign. I believe the form this will take will be to provide information suggesting that it was a CIA rogue operation that was led by David Sanchez Morales and Rip Robertson. What the CIA will protect to the end is the notion that CIA senior officers (John McCone, Richard Helms, James Jesus Angleton, Ted Shackley, Carl E. Jenkins, etc.) had anything to do with the assassination and the subsequent cover-up. This will involve playing down the role that Morales played in the CIA in the 1960s.

If the outcome is that the truth behind the assassination comes out and it is according to a Cuba centric scenario I will be there applauding along with everyone else. I'm sceptical that Bosch et al, who are dependent on the good graces of their sponsors, are going to reveal something that will bite their hand. Ditto the rest of the 'revelations'. The CIA are not going to roll over. They are in continuous action. Their programs don't change in midstride. They didn't in '62 and they don't now. There certainly is something going on. Is it what it seems at first look? That would be a welcome change.

Edited by John Dolva

I have had several emails from other researchers suggesting that something of importance might be going on. For example, the favourable article in the Times about JFK researchers, the BBC piece about the RFK assassination and the resulting publicity in the Guardian and the BBC Newsnight Forum. Then last night C4 showed Dollan Cannell’s documentary, “638 ways to Kill Fidel Castro”. E. Howard Hunt, Antonio Veciana, Felix I. Rodriguez, Orlando Bosch and Luis Posada were interviewed in the film and this morning three of our main daily newspapers wrote stories about the activities of anti-Castro militants in Miami. My sources tell me that Cannell’s film will lead to another documentary inspired by the interview Veciana gave about the JFK assassination.

The work of Shane O’Sullivan and Dollan Cannell are both linked to book deals. I have also been informed that a major publisher is looking to commission books on the subject of political assassinations.

All of the above is of course welcome news.

John Dolva has suggested that this might “be a concerted CIA drive to focus research on Cuba”. I am not convinced that is what is happening. Both O’Sullivan and Cannell received no help from the CIA in making their films. In fact, they were highly uncooperative. What is true is that some former CIA officers and contract workers are willing to talk to filmmakers. Some of these men are closely connected to the CIA attempts to remove Castro.

I think John Dolva's suggestion certainly remains possible. In preparing for every contingency, I believe that the CIA had to be prepared to throw some of their operatives under the bus in the event that their involvement with Oswald ever came to light.

As John Armstrong wrote: "Oswald was not created by the Mafia, the Cubans, the Russians, or the Dallas Police. He was a creation of the CIA, years before the assassination."

This is not to say the CIA is going to be inactive in responding to these disclosures. I suspect they are busy in a major disinformation campaign. I believe the form this will take will be to provide information suggesting that it was a CIA rogue operation that was led by David Sanchez Morales and Rip Robertson. What the CIA will protect to the end is the notion that CIA senior officers (John McCone, Richard Helms, James Jesus Angleton, Ted Shackley, Carl E. Jenkins, etc.) had anything to do with the assassination and the subsequent cover-up. This will involve playing down the role that Morales played in the CIA in the 1960s.

If the CIA is prepared to do this today with virtually everyone deceased, they may have had the same plan available if needed when McCone, Helms, et al were still alive. There were many rooms in the mansion.

Some people believe that President Kennedy's murder was sanctioned at the very highest levels, namely by elements within the Pentagon and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A case can be made that the CIA was the last stop in the chain of plausible deniabilty. Certainly all elements were in bed together to some extent, however the Pentagon now had their own intel capabilites, the potential for a profitable war in Southeast Asia, and a distrust of CIA competency when it came to matters of grave national security concerns.

Who can know how many rooms were considered expendable by the Military-Industrial complex?

There seems to be a concerted CIA drive to focus research on Cuba. The CIA and sponsored elements like Bosch have been working to destabilise the Cuban government for 46 years. Does it make sense that (particularly as part of the economic terrorism waged on Cuba is the funding of groups and individuals who serve this cause irrespective of the truthfulness of their efforts) these people who are now talking are no longer part of this overall effort? Perhaps they live to 'talk' because they talk in the approved manner. What alternative scenario is it that they wish people to not look at?

Of course the Kennedys were willing to do deals with these southern politicians whoever they were. Up to a point. When push came to shove they were prepared to send in the military and arrest promonent figures. Kennedy was an inclusionist, but he had limits defined by his true self.

The notion of Kennedy as soft on civil right comes from the left of him. It's certainly not as the southern sixties status militant right saw him. To them he was a subversive communist who threatened the constitution. A traitor deserving of death.

It is possible that this flurry of activity only reflects the time of year (the anniversary of JFK’s death and RFK’s birthday). However, it is possible that something else is happening.

I think it is understandable that these anti-Castro militants are willing to talk to UK filmmakers. They are obviously feeling that the current president has betrayed them in the same way his predecessors have. They want to see Castro removed by force before they die. Or more importantly, before Castro dies. If that means exposing the role the CIA played in these events, so be it.

"I think it is understandable that these anti-Castro militants are willing to talk to UK filmmakers. They are obviously feeling that the current president has betrayed them in the same way his predecessors have. They want to see Castro removed by force before they die. Or more importantly, before Castro dies. If that means exposing the role the CIA played in these events, so be it."

And, wouldn't it implicate them, as well? Seeing as those mentioned are nothing short of cold-blooded killers, anyway. It pisses me off, royally, that these criminals are allowed to walk, simply because they were willing to commit murder, be it of or for, take your pick, any P.O.T.U.S. not ready to jump at the chance to off Castro for them. Who the hell do they think they are? A bunch of malcontented old bastards, involving us in their problems. Shouldn't they be happy with the money and status quo they've been so undeservedly doted on, and accorded with, all these years? "before they die.." I hope Castro dies a peaceful death, way before they die, or better yet, outlives them all by twenty years. These former Cuban artistocratic assholes deserve nothing! Pawns as they chose to be, in the highest bidder's game. May they rot in hell for their misplaced loyalties.