The Education Forum

Forum quoting now FUBAR

As of the last few hours I have found it impossible to use conventional quoting codes. There was absolutely no reason for the quoting not to be appearing correctly. I checked and rechecked and triple checked that there were quoting code pairs, and that they were correctly configured.

After a great deal of frustration and incremental tests through an attempt to answer a long message, I found the exact spot where the codes would stop working. When they did, of course, that then destroyed the display of all the quoted passages that were correctly displayed before.

This made utterly no sense. Then I went earlier in the message and deleted one pair of on-quote/off-quote codes, and put a pair further down in the message, at the location where if I had put a pair before, they all had stopped working.

It now worked, indicating that it was not some flaw in the way the quote codes were being put into the reply, but the number of quote codes being put in. And there were only about four.

Was some arbitrary limit set on this? It consumed an incredible amount of time and effort trying to figure out what suddenly had gone wrong, and I still can't post the reply I was trying to post.

Ashton Gray

Edited by Ashton Gray

As of the last few hours I have found it impossible to use conventional quoting codes. There was absolutely no reason for the quoting not to be appearing correctly. I checked and rechecked and triple checked that there were quoting code pairs, and that they were correctly configured.

After a great deal of frustration and incremental tests through an attempt to answer a long message, I found the exact spot where the codes would stop working. When they did, of course, that then destroyed the display of all the quoted passages that were correctly displayed before.

This made utterly no sense. Then I went earlier in the message and deleted one pair of on-quote/off-quote codes, and put a pair further down in the message, at the location where if I had put a pair before, they all had stopped working.

It now worked, indicating that it was not some flaw in the way the quote codes were being put into the reply, but the number of quote codes being put in. And there were only about four.

Was some arbitrary limit set on this? It consumed an incredible amount of time and effort trying to figure out what suddenly had gone wrong, and I still can't post the reply I was trying to post.

Ashton Gray

Always use the "REPLY" button to quote from other people's posts.

Ashton Gray

Always use the "REPLY" button to quote from other people's posts.

I do. I did. I've been replying for months, and if this hadn't been a severe anomaly, I wouldn't have first spent three hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working, then started this topic.

Ashton