The Education Forum

Haiti to New Orleans

By way of China, Mexico, Guatemala, Cuba, and other stopovers.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13910.htm

The National City Bank controlled the National Bank of Haiti and the Haitian railroad system. Dollar diplomacy also involved the sugar barons who saw Haiti's rich plantations as an inviting target for investment and takeover.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Smedley Butler:

On August 21, 1931, invited to address an American Legion convention in Connecticut, he made the first no-holds-barred antiwar speech of his career. It stunned all who heard it or read it in the few papers that dared report it in part:

I spent 33 years . . . being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. . . .I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1916. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City [bank] boys to collect revenue in. I helped in the rape of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street....

In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested. . . . I had . . . a swell racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals, promotions.... 1 might have given A1 Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate a racket in three cities. The Marines operated on three continents. . . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His first glimpse of war came the day he arrived at Santiago, Cuba, on July 1, 1898, past a Spanish cruiser still burning in the harbor. Rigid with excitement, he boarded another ship that took him to Guantanamo Bay, where he joined the Marine Battalion of the North Atlantic Squadron.

He was enormously proud of his first two decorations-the Spanish and West Indian Campaign medals. But he was even prouder simply of being a full-fledged leatherneck who had shared the bonds of a campaign with the Marines of Guantanamo. By the time his battalion returned home, he and two other young Marine officers-John A. Lejuene and Buck Neville had become an inseparable trio. Lejuene and Neville were each destined to rise to the rank of commandant of the Marine Corps.

"The Spanish-American War was a high point in my life when I went to it at the age of sixteen," Butler later reminisced wryly, "to defend my home in Pennsylvania against the Spaniards in Cuba."

General Smedley Butler, USMC

He was gratified to read on April 12, 1934, that the Senate had voted an inquiry into the manufacture of and traffic in arms. Senator Gerald P. Nye, of North Dakota, as chairman of the Senate Munitions Investigating Committee. began holding public hearings stressing the heavy profits made by American financiers and armament-makers during World War I.

The Nye Committee produced shock waves by exposing the pressures exerted by the armament industry on the government to take America into that war. Oswald Garrison Villard, editor-publisher of The Nation, wrote, "I never dreamed that I should live to see the time when public opinion in the United States would be practically united in recognizing that we were lied to and deceived into going to war . . . and when Congress would actually put a stop to those processes by which Wilson, House, Lansing and J. P. Morgan and Company brought us into the war." The Nye investigation, continuing until 1936, strengthened isolationist sentiment in the United States and inspired a series of neutrality acts during 1935-1937.

Following the hearings closely, Butler was tremendously impressed and influenced by their disclosures. They also confirmed his suspicions that big business-Standard Oil, United Fruit, the sugar trust, the big banks-had been behind most of the military interventions he had been ordered to lead. In a broadcast over Philadelphia radio station WCAU he described his experiences in "the raping of little nations to collect money for big industries" that had large foreign investments.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He arrived in Shanghai on March 25, 1927, to find tension running high. Chinese troops had attacked several consulates at Nanking, killing many foreigners, looting and burning the city. American businessmen and missionaries had escaped on gunboats to Shanghai, whose port was now swarming with ships. Never before in history had the war vessels of so many different nations anchored together in one harbor.

Barbed-wire entanglements had been erected, and the International Settlement was under martial law. All legations had ordered their nationals from the interior of China, from which there were daily reports of murders and outrages. A more violent version of the Boxer Rebellion seemed in the making, and the white settlements were gravely apprehensive.

Butler's 3d Marine Brigade disembarked at the Standard Oil dock in the Whangpoo River opposite Shanghai and set up tents in the Standard Oil compound. Shortly afterward Butler was taken aboard the flagship of Admiral C. S. Williams, who greeted him frostily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butler began having dark thoughts once more about the use of Marines to defend big-business profits overseas. Was the government's professed concern for the protection of Americans in China during the civil war the real reason for the presence of the Marines? Or was it to defend the properties of Standard Oil and other big American corporations?

The author questioned General Shoup about the Marines' mission in China in 1927-1928 "I would say it was pretty hard to say who we were supporting there," he replied. "It was just our presence there that was the thing. I heard no solid reason for why we were being sent; we were just told we were going to fight the Chinese. We didn't know what the mission was. But we landed at the Standard Oil docks and lived in Standard Oil compounds and were ready to protect Standard Oil's investment. I wondered at the time if our government would put all these Marines in a position of danger, where they might sacrifice their lives in defense of Standard Oil. Later I discovered that of course it would, and did. It was only some years later that I learned that General Butler had been thinking the same way. I thought I had been alone in suspecting it."

NEXT: CUBA

The National City Bank controlled the National Bank of Haiti and the Haitian railroad system. Dollar diplomacy also involved the sugar barons who saw Haiti's rich plantations as an inviting target for investment and takeover.

General Smedley Butler:

On August 21, 1931, invited to address an American Legion convention in Connecticut, he made the first no-holds-barred antiwar speech of his career. It stunned all who heard it or read it in the few papers that dared report it in part:

I spent 33 years . . . being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. . . .I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1916. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City [bank] boys to collect revenue in. I helped in the rape of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street....

In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested. . . . I had . . . a swell racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals, promotions.... 1 might have given A1 Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate a racket in three cities. The Marines operated on three continents. . . .

His first glimpse of war came the day he arrived at Santiago, Cuba, on July 1, 1898, past a Spanish cruiser still burning in the harbor. Rigid with excitement, he boarded another ship that took him to Guantanamo Bay, where he joined the Marine Battalion of the North Atlantic Squadron.

He was enormously proud of his first two decorations-the Spanish and West Indian Campaign medals. But he was even prouder simply of being a full-fledged leatherneck who had shared the bonds of a campaign with the Marines of Guantanamo. By the time his battalion returned home, he and two other young Marine officers-John A. Lejuene and Buck Neville had become an inseparable trio. Lejuene and Neville were each destined to rise to the rank of commandant of the Marine Corps.

"The Spanish-American War was a high point in my life when I went to it at the age of sixteen," Butler later reminisced wryly, "to defend my home in Pennsylvania against the Spaniards in Cuba."

He was gratified to read on April 12, 1934, that the Senate had voted an inquiry into the manufacture of and traffic in arms. Senator Gerald P. Nye, of North Dakota, as chairman of the Senate Munitions Investigating Committee. began holding public hearings stressing the heavy profits made by American financiers and armament-makers during World War I.

The Nye Committee produced shock waves by exposing the pressures exerted by the armament industry on the government to take America into that war. Oswald Garrison Villard, editor-publisher of The Nation, wrote, "I never dreamed that I should live to see the time when public opinion in the United States would be practically united in recognizing that we were lied to and deceived into going to war . . . and when Congress would actually put a stop to those processes by which Wilson, House, Lansing and J. P. Morgan and Company brought us into the war." The Nye investigation, continuing until 1936, strengthened isolationist sentiment in the United States and inspired a series of neutrality acts during 1935-1937.

Following the hearings closely, Butler was tremendously impressed and influenced by their disclosures. They also confirmed his suspicions that big business-Standard Oil, United Fruit, the sugar trust, the big banks-had been behind most of the military interventions he had been ordered to lead. In a broadcast over Philadelphia radio station WCAU he described his experiences in "the raping of little nations to collect money for big industries" that had large foreign investments.

He arrived in Shanghai on March 25, 1927, to find tension running high. Chinese troops had attacked several consulates at Nanking, killing many foreigners, looting and burning the city. American businessmen and missionaries had escaped on gunboats to Shanghai, whose port was now swarming with ships. Never before in history had the war vessels of so many different nations anchored together in one harbor.

Barbed-wire entanglements had been erected, and the International Settlement was under martial law. All legations had ordered their nationals from the interior of China, from which there were daily reports of murders and outrages. A more violent version of the Boxer Rebellion seemed in the making, and the white settlements were gravely apprehensive.

Butler's 3d Marine Brigade disembarked at the Standard Oil dock in the Whangpoo River opposite Shanghai and set up tents in the Standard Oil compound. Shortly afterward Butler was taken aboard the flagship of Admiral C. S. Williams, who greeted him frostily.

Butler began having dark thoughts once more about the use of Marines to defend big-business profits overseas. Was the government's professed concern for the protection of Americans in China during the civil war the real reason for the presence of the Marines? Or was it to defend the properties of Standard Oil and other big American corporations?

The author questioned General Shoup about the Marines' mission in China in 1927-1928 "I would say it was pretty hard to say who we were supporting there," he replied. "It was just our presence there that was the thing. I heard no solid reason for why we were being sent; we were just told we were going to fight the Chinese. We didn't know what the mission was. But we landed at the Standard Oil docks and lived in Standard Oil compounds and were ready to protect Standard Oil's investment. I wondered at the time if our government would put all these Marines in a position of danger, where they might sacrifice their lives in defense of Standard Oil. Later I discovered that of course it would, and did. It was only some years later that I learned that General Butler had been thinking the same way. I thought I had been alone in suspecting it."

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

http://www.nsgtmo.navy.mil/history/gtmohis...rphyvol1ch4.htm

Pawley Store

One item of passing interest is worth recording. About the year 1908 a branch store of E. P. Pawley Co. of Caimanera was opened on South Toro near the station wharf. This store sold general merchandise and furnished a much needed service (this was before the days of ship's service stores), although it was probably contrary to the lease agreement which forbade private enterprise on the Reservation. The proprietor of the enterprise was an American, Edward P. Pawley, who was a businessman in Caimanera from 1904 to 1917. He had five sons, one of whom, William D., attained great wealth and was American Ambassador to Peru and Brazil in recent ears.

McIlhenney

It was in 1898, when his brother John rode off to join Teddy Roosevelt’s “Rough Riders,” that Edward Avery “Ned” McIlhenny assumed the presidency of the family business that manufactures Tabasco Sauce.

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

One item of passing interest is worth recording. About the year 1908 a branch store of E. P. Pawley Co. of Caimanera was opened on South Toro near the station wharf. This store sold general merchandise and furnished a much needed service (this was before the days of ship's service stores), although it was probably contrary to the lease agreement which forbade private enterprise on the Reservation. The proprietor of the enterprise was an American, Edward P. Pawley, who was a businessman in Caimanera from 1904 to 1917. He had five sons, one of whom, William D., attained great wealth and was American Ambassador to Peru and Brazil in recent ears.

McIlhenney

It was in 1898, when his brother John rode off to join Teddy Roosevelt’s “Rough Riders,” that Edward Avery “Ned” McIlhenny assumed the presidency of the family business that manufactures Tabasco Sauce.

Haiti: (& Dominican Republic)

General Butler:

I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City [bank] boys to collect revenue in

Pawley Family:

http://www.haitiforever.com/windowsonhaiti...series_03.shtml

The writer recalls a remark made by Mr. E. P. Pawley, an American, who conducts one of the largest business enterprises in Haiti.

McIlhenny:

The head of the customs service of Haiti was a clerk of one of the parishes of Louisiana. Second in charge of the customs service of Haiti is a man who was Deputy Collector of Customs at Pascagoula, Mississippi [population, 3,379, 1910 Census]. The Superintendent of Public Instruction was a school teacher in Louisiana -- a State which has not good schools even for white children; the financial advisor, Mr. McIlhenny, is also from Louisiana.

To know the reasons for the present political situation in Haiti, to understand why the United States landed and has for five years maintained military forces in that country, why some three thousand Haitian men, women, and children have been shot down by American rifles and machine guns, it is necessary, among other things, to know that the National City Bank of New York is very much interested in Haiti. It is necessary to know that the National City Bank controls the National Bank of Haiti and is the depository for all of the Haitian national funds that are being collected by American officials, and that Mr. R. L. Farnham, vice-president of the National City Bank, is virtually the representative of the State Department in matters relating to the island republic.

http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/PersonDetai...rsonID=79264520

. Government Of, By and For the National City Bank

At the present writing, however, Mr. McIlhenny has become a conspicuous figure in the history of the Occupation of Haiti as the instrument by which the National City Bank is striving to complete the riveting, double-locking and bolting of its financial control of the island. For although it would appear that the absolute military domination under which Haiti is held would enable the financial powers to accomplish almost anything they desire, they are wise enough to realize that a day of reckoning, such as, for instance, a change in the Administration in the United States, may be coming. So they are eager and anxious to have everything they want signed, sealed, and delivered. Anything, of course, that the Haitians have fully "consented to" no one else can reasonably object to.

On July 19 Mr. McIlhenny supplied his previous omission in a memorandum which he transmitted to the Haitian Department of Finance, in which he said: "I had instructions from the Department of State of the United States just before my departure for Haiti in a part of a letter of May 20, to declare to the Haitian Government that it was necessary to give its immediate and formal approval to:

1. A modification of the Bank Contract agreed upon by the Department of State and the National City Bank of New York.

2. Transfer of the National Bank of the Republic of Haiti to a new bank registered under the laws of Haiti, to be known as the National Bank of the Republic of Haiti.

http://www.spanamwar.com/rrmcilhenny.htm

MCILHENNY, John Avery, businessman, soldier, politician. Born, October 29, 1867, Avery Island, La., to Edmund McIlhenny and Mary Eliza Avery. Educated privately at Avery Island; Holbrook's Military Academy, Sing Sing (Ossining), N.Y.; Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.; and Tulane.

appointed financial advisor to Haiti during U.S. occupation, January 27, 1919;

May as well interject "National City" here:

The Key System's famed commuter train system was dismantled in 1958 after many years of declining ridership as well as the effort by National City Lines, a General Motors affiliate which had bought up the system in the late 1940s to petition the public utility board to abandon the last rail lines. In 1949, a Federal Court convicted General Motors, Standard Oil of California, Firestone Tire and others of criminally conspiring to replace electric transportation with gasoline or diesel powered buses, and to monopolize the sale of buses and related products to local transit companies throughout the U.S. They were fined $5,000. (see General Motors streetcar conspiracy).

http://www.answers.com/topic/general-motor...tcar-conspiracy

http://www.answers.com/topic/national-city-lines

http://www.answers.com/topic/barney-larrick

http://www.answers.com/topic/fred-ossanna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citibank

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

McIlhenney

General Butler:

I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City [bank] boys to collect revenue in

Pawley Family:

The writer recalls a remark made by Mr. E. P. Pawley, an American, who conducts one of the largest business enterprises in Haiti.

McIlhenny:

The head of the customs service of Haiti was a clerk of one of the parishes of Louisiana. Second in charge of the customs service of Haiti is a man who was Deputy Collector of Customs at Pascagoula, Mississippi [population, 3,379, 1910 Census]. The Superintendent of Public Instruction was a school teacher in Louisiana -- a State which has not good schools even for white children; the financial advisor, Mr. McIlhenny, is also from Louisiana.

To know the reasons for the present political situation in Haiti, to understand why the United States landed and has for five years maintained military forces in that country, why some three thousand Haitian men, women, and children have been shot down by American rifles and machine guns, it is necessary, among other things, to know that the National City Bank of New York is very much interested in Haiti. It is necessary to know that the National City Bank controls the National Bank of Haiti and is the depository for all of the Haitian national funds that are being collected by American officials, and that Mr. R. L. Farnham, vice-president of the National City Bank, is virtually the representative of the State Department in matters relating to the island republic.

At the present writing, however, Mr. McIlhenny has become a conspicuous figure in the history of the Occupation of Haiti as the instrument by which the National City Bank is striving to complete the riveting, double-locking and bolting of its financial control of the island. For although it would appear that the absolute military domination under which Haiti is held would enable the financial powers to accomplish almost anything they desire, they are wise enough to realize that a day of reckoning, such as, for instance, a change in the Administration in the United States, may be coming. So they are eager and anxious to have everything they want signed, sealed, and delivered. Anything, of course, that the Haitians have fully "consented to" no one else can reasonably object to.

On July 19 Mr. McIlhenny supplied his previous omission in a memorandum which he transmitted to the Haitian Department of Finance, in which he said: "I had instructions from the Department of State of the United States just before my departure for Haiti in a part of a letter of May 20, to declare to the Haitian Government that it was necessary to give its immediate and formal approval to:

1. A modification of the Bank Contract agreed upon by the Department of State and the National City Bank of New York.

2. Transfer of the National Bank of the Republic of Haiti to a new bank registered under the laws of Haiti, to be known as the National Bank of the Republic of Haiti.

MCILHENNY, John Avery, businessman, soldier, politician. Born, October 29, 1867, Avery Island, La., to Edmund McIlhenny and Mary Eliza Avery. Educated privately at Avery Island; Holbrook's Military Academy, Sing Sing (Ossining), N.Y.; Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.; and Tulane.

The Key System's famed commuter train system was dismantled in 1958 after many years of declining ridership as well as the effort by National City Lines, a General Motors affiliate which had bought up the system in the late 1940s to petition the public utility board to abandon the last rail lines. In 1949, a Federal Court convicted General Motors, Standard Oil of California, Firestone Tire and others of criminally conspiring to replace electric transportation with gasoline or diesel powered buses, and to monopolize the sale of buses and related products to local transit companies throughout the U.S. They were fined $5,000. (see General Motors streetcar conspiracy).

I have a lot of respect for anyone who devotes time to the study of history, the material in this thread is very iindicative of how the cycles of history repeat themselves. My initial reaction to reading the material here is how in a sense very little has changed re America and its neighbors to the South. The Monroe Doctrine is probably just as much a yardstick for America's foreign policy outlook as it was 100 years ago, about the only items that have changed is that technology has re-defined everything, and there is a real powerful backlash in Latin America [at least in a few countries] towards the United States over our policy of lending support to some rather infamous right wing dictatorships.

Not to mention the backlash has given impetus to leftist governments, [and I don't say that as a criticism of the far left,] merely to point out that I believe American foreign policy in Latin America has always seemed so one-dimensional that it beg's the question how much, [if at all] has America advanced "democratic principles" by supporting the Somoza's and Pinochet's in the past to counteract the influence of leftist governments, the argument could be made that we have played right into the hands of our ostensible enemies, kind of like "carry a big stick, and speak like you are carrying a big stick."

It's no wonder the Alliance for Progress had a short life-span, a balanced foreign policy that promoted the common good of the region without seeing the Southern Hemisphere as some type of parking lot of the United States doesent seem like such a terrible thing, compared to the current situation. Does anybody else think the last election in Mexico was an honest one?

Maybe if we had done more to change the status quo in regards to that country there wouldn't be a Mexico more chaotic than it has been in several decades. I am not a supporter of any regime or political ideology that advocates democratic principles with just words and not actions, whether it be Cuba, Venezuela or the United States, the media may be on a short leash in the US of A, but everywhere else, it must be a bit different in regards to how our friends and enemies alike in Latin America perceive the United States.

This is a very good thread, Thomas.

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

McIlhenney

General Butler:

Pawley Family:

McIlhenny:

I have a lot of respect for anyone who devotes time to the study of history, the material in this thread is very iindicative of how the cycles of history repeat themselves. My initial reaction to reading the material here is how in a sense very little has changed re America and its neighbors to the South. The Monroe Doctrine is probably just as much a yardstick for America's foreign policy outlook as it was 100 years ago, about the only items that have changed is that technology has re-defined everything, and there is a real powerful backlash in Latin America [at least in a few countries] towards the United States over our policy of lending support to some rather infamous right wing dictatorships.

Not to mention the backlash has given impetus to leftist governments, [and I don't say that as a criticism of the far left,] merely to point out that I believe American foreign policy in Latin America has always seemed so one-dimensional that it beg's the question how much, [if at all] has America advanced "democratic principles" by supporting the Somoza's and Pinochet's in the past to counteract the influence of leftist governments, the argument could be made that we have played right into the hands of our ostensible enemies, kind of like "carry a big stick, and speak like you are carrying a big stick."

It's no wonder the Alliance for Progress had a short life-span, a balanced foreign policy that promoted the common good of the region without seeing the Southern Hemisphere as some type of parking lot of the United States doesent seem like such a terrible thing, compared to the current situation. Does anybody else think the last election in Mexico was an honest one?

Maybe if we had done more to change the status quo in regards to that country there wouldn't be a Mexico more chaotic than it has been in several decades. I am not a supporter of any regime or political ideology that advocates democratic principles with just words and not actions, whether it be Cuba, Venezuela or the United States, the media may be on a short leash in the US of A, but everywhere else, it must be a bit different in regards to how our friends and enemies alike in Latin America perceive the United States.

This is a very good thread, Thomas.

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

McIlhenney

General Butler:

Pawley Family:

McIlhenny:

Name: Walter Stauffer MCILHENNY

Nickname: Tabasco Mac

NPFX: Gen.

NSFX: USMC

Title: USMC

Sex: M

Birth: 22 OCT 1910 in Washington,D. C.

Death: 1985 in Avery Island,Iberia Parish,Louisiana

Burial: Grove Cemetery,Avery Island 1

Title: Brigadier General Walter S. McIlhenny "Who's Who in Marine Corps History"

Publication: United States Marine Corps History Division, www.usmc.mil

Education: The General was educated at Force School and Central High School in Washington, D.C; Lane High School, Charlottesville, Virginia; and the University of Virginia.

MILITARY: He served two years with the Washington High School Cadets and then four years with the Virginia National Guard attaining the rank of Platoon Sergeant. He was honorably discharged from the Virginia Guard 15 Jun 1935, and then enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 3 December 1936. Called to active duty as a 1st Lieutenant following the outbreak of World War II, General McIlhenny served continuously until December, 1945. He saw his first action in the Pacific at Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, as Executive Officer of Company B, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. His heroism at Guadalcanal earned his Citation for the Navy Cross, the Silver Star and two Purple Hearts. He later served during the assault and capture of Peleliu, Palau Islands. He retired from the Marine Corps Ready Reserve in Louisiana 1 November 1959. Upon his retirement, he was advanced to the rank of Brigadier General by reason of having been specifically commended for heroism in combat.

Comments: His grandfather, Edmund McIlhenny was a New Orleans banker who invented Tabasco sauce following the Civil War. Avery Island, site of the McIlhenny Company, has been in the family since 1818.

Father: John Avery MCILHENNY b: 29 OCT 1867 in Avery Island,Iberia Parish,Louisiana

http://www.mercy.edu/faculty/shiels/resear...rests/haiti.htm

1919-1922- Louisiana’s John McIlhenny of tabasco sauce fame a Friend of Navy Under Secretary Franklin D. Roosevelt, served as chief financial advisor and power broker for the client Haitian government. He became on of the most influential of the Occupation’s cast of characters.

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/archives/Mari...ine-history.htm

We, as Louisianans, take pride as well in the accomplishments and the dedication of General Robert H. Barrow of St. Francisville, Major General George Bowman of Hammond, Major General Charles Duchein of Baton Rouge, General Graves Erskine of Columbia, Brigadier General Walter McIlhenny of Avery Island, and Brigadier General Louie Reinberg of Baton Rouge. They have brought honor to this state as well as to the nation.

http://www.answers.com/topic/tabasco-sauce

Tabasco does not openly advertise its history with the U.S. Military. During the Spanish-American War, John Avery McIlhenny, son of Tabasco's inventor and the second president of McIlhenny Company, served in the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, better known as Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders. His son, Brigadier General Walter S. McIlhenny, USMCR, a World War II veteran and winner of the Navy Cross, presided over McIlhenny Company from 1949 until his death in 1985

http://astro.temple.edu/~ruby/wava/Flaherty/chap6.html

Louisiana Story Chapter 6

I : Flaherty tells us how, in 1944, he began his next project:

It was a day in spring . . . . I was resting on my farm in Vermont with no particular plans in mind when a note came from a friend of a friend of mine in the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.

The note put a proposition to me: Would I be interested in making a film which would project the difficulties and risk of getting oil out of the ground-admittedly an industrial film, yet one which would have enough story and entertainment value to play in standard motion picture houses at an admission-price?

October 20: Mr. George Freiermouth, New York head of public relations department of Standard Oil arrived yesterday.

they were loaned the use of Avery Island, which was owned by Colonel Ned McIlhenny, an internationally known explorer and sportsman. It is one of the showplaces of the South, a magnificent preserve teeming with wildlife, including alligators. For the oil derrick and drilling sequences, the Humble Oil and Refining Company (a New Jersey affiliate) put at Flaherty's disposal the crew of Humble Rig Petite Anse No. 1.

The evening on which a final work print of Louisiana Story was shown to Standard Oil, Flaherty had a small audience to dinner first at the Coffee House Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Story

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

McIlhenney

General Butler:

Pawley Family:

McIlhenny:

Title: Brigadier General Walter S. McIlhenny "Who's Who in Marine Corps History"

Education: The General was educated at Force School and Central High School in Washington, D.C; Lane High School, Charlottesville, Virginia; and the University of Virginia.

MILITARY: He served two years with the Washington High School Cadets and then four years with the Virginia National Guard attaining the rank of Platoon Sergeant. He was honorably discharged from the Virginia Guard 15 Jun 1935, and then enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 3 December 1936. Called to active duty as a 1st Lieutenant following the outbreak of World War II, General McIlhenny served continuously until December, 1945. He saw his first action in the Pacific at Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, as Executive Officer of Company B, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. His heroism at Guadalcanal earned his Citation for the Navy Cross, the Silver Star and two Purple Hearts. He later served during the assault and capture of Peleliu, Palau Islands. He retired from the Marine Corps Ready Reserve in Louisiana 1 November 1959. Upon his retirement, he was advanced to the rank of Brigadier General by reason of having been specifically commended for heroism in combat.

Comments: His grandfather, Edmund McIlhenny was a New Orleans banker who invented Tabasco sauce following the Civil War. Avery Island, site of the McIlhenny Company, has been in the family since 1818.

Father: John Avery MCILHENNY b: 29 OCT 1867 in Avery Island,Iberia Parish,Louisiana

1919-1922- Louisiana’s John McIlhenny of tabasco sauce fame a Friend of Navy Under Secretary Franklin D. Roosevelt, served as chief financial advisor and power broker for the client Haitian government. He became on of the most influential of the Occupation’s cast of characters.

We, as Louisianans, take pride as well in the accomplishments and the dedication of General Robert H. Barrow of St. Francisville, Major General George Bowman of Hammond, Major General Charles Duchein of Baton Rouge, General Graves Erskine of Columbia, Brigadier General Walter McIlhenny of Avery Island, and Brigadier General Louie Reinberg of Baton Rouge. They have brought honor to this state as well as to the nation.

Tabasco does not openly advertise its history with the U.S. Military. During the Spanish-American War, John Avery McIlhenny, son of Tabasco's inventor and the second president of McIlhenny Company, served in the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, better known as Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders. His son, Brigadier General Walter S. McIlhenny, USMCR, a World War II veteran and winner of the Navy Cross, presided over McIlhenny Company from 1949 until his death in 1985

It was a day in spring . . . . I was resting on my farm in Vermont with no particular plans in mind when a note came from a friend of a friend of mine in the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.

The note put a proposition to me: Would I be interested in making a film which would project the difficulties and risk of getting oil out of the ground-admittedly an industrial film, yet one which would have enough story and entertainment value to play in standard motion picture houses at an admission-price?

October 20: Mr. George Freiermouth, New York head of public relations department of Standard Oil arrived yesterday.

they were loaned the use of Avery Island, which was owned by Colonel Ned McIlhenny, an internationally known explorer and sportsman. It is one of the showplaces of the South, a magnificent preserve teeming with wildlife, including alligators. For the oil derrick and drilling sequences, the Humble Oil and Refining Company (a New Jersey affiliate) put at Flaherty's disposal the crew of Humble Rig Petite Anse No. 1.

The evening on which a final work print of Louisiana Story was shown to Standard Oil, Flaherty had a small audience to dinner first at the Coffee House Club

http://www.us-highways.com/sohist1911.htm

Continental Oil Company (Conoco) was awarded Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico. Marland Oil purchased Conoco in 1929, keeping its own triangle logo, Conoco's name and the right to market Standard products.

http://www.virginia.edu/igpr/APAG/apagoilhistory.html

Conoco

1875: Continental Oil and Transportation Company founded

1885: Continental Oil and Transportation Company reincorporated as Continental within the Standard Oil trust

1913: Continental Oil reincorporated after breakup of Standard Oil Trust

1917: Marland Oil Company founded

1929: Continental Oil company merged with portions of Rocky Mountain (a former component of Standard oil) and Marland

Mid-1950s: Continental joins partnership with Marathon and Amerada, called Oasis Group

1981: Conoco becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of by E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Company

1981: Conoco reorganized as Continental Group

Corporate Offices:

Conoco Center

600 North Dairy Ashford

Houston, TX 77079

P.O. Box 2197

Houston, TX

ZIP Code 77252

Phone: (281) 293-1000

Telex: 775347

Fax: (281) 293-1440

Name: CONOCO INC.

Merger or Conversion Information: MERGED INTO DU PONT HOLDINGS, INC. ON OCTOBER 16, 1981

Prior Name: CONTINENTAL OIL COMPANY ( 7/02/1979)

Principal Bus. Est. in Louisiana:

Qualified: 07/02/1929

Note:

OCCUPATION: He was a businessman and a retired Marine General. He was an engineer with Continental Oil Company until 1940. Following his discharge from the Marines, he joined the family firm, McIlhenny Company, and was president of the company at his death.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natl-trophy-index.asp

Hankins Memorial Trophy

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nat-trophy/tro-075.pdf

"donated to the NRA in 1953 by COL Walter S. McIlhenny of Avery Island, LA"

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

McIlhenney

General Butler:

Pawley Family:

McIlhenny:

For whatever reason, the below posting did not move to the head of the class!

Continental Oil Company (Conoco) was awarded Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico. Marland Oil purchased Conoco in 1929, keeping its own triangle logo, Conoco's name and the right to market Standard products.

Conoco

1885: Continental Oil and Transportation Company reincorporated as Continental within the Standard Oil trust

1929: Continental Oil company merged with portions of Rocky Mountain (a former component of Standard oil) and Marland

Mid-1950s: Continental joins partnership with Marathon and Amerada, called Oasis Group

1981: Conoco becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of by E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Company

Corporate Offices:

Conoco Center

600 North Dairy Ashford

Houston, TX 77079

P.O. Box 2197

Houston, TX

ZIP Code 77252

Merger or Conversion Information: MERGED INTO DU PONT HOLDINGS, INC. ON OCTOBER 16, 1981

Note:

OCCUPATION: He was a businessman and a retired Marine General. He was an engineer with Continental Oil Company until 1940. Following his discharge from the Marines, he joined the family firm, McIlhenny Company, and was president of the company at his death.

Hankins Memorial Trophy

General Smedley Butler:

Lt. Smedley Butler:

The Pawley Family:

Pawley Store

McIlhenney

General Butler:

Pawley Family:

McIlhenny:

For whatever reason, the below posting did not move to the head of the class!

Conoco

Corporate Offices:

Conoco Center

600 North Dairy Ashford

Houston, TX 77079

P.O. Box 2197

Houston, TX

ZIP Code 77252

Note:

Hankins Memorial Trophy

Now where to go?

Perhaps one should "back up" somewhat!

John Avery McIlhenny

Name: John Avery MCILHENNY

Birth: 29 OCT 1867 in Avery Island,Iberia Parish,Louisiana

Death: 18 OCT 1926 in Charlottesville,Virginia

Burial: Arlington National Cemetery

Note:

Education: He was educated at first privately at Avery Island. He later attended Holbrook Military Academy, Ossining, New York; Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts; and at Tulane University in New Orleans.

MILITARY: He joined Theodore Roosevelt's 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry ("The Rough Riders"), as a member of Troop F, on 19 May 1898. He participated in the battles of Las Guasimas and San Juan Hill (Kettle Hill), Cuba. He claimed to have saved Roosevelt from a sniper's bullet. McIlhenny was promoted by Roosevelt for "gallantry in action", and was discharged as a 2nd Lieutenant, Troop E, on 15 Sep 1898.

BIOGRAPHY: He was the son of the inventor of Tabasco brand pepper sauce, and on his father's death oversaw the company's operations with his mother. Following his service in the Spanish-American War he entered politics, serving in the Louisiana House of Representatives, 1900-04; and the State Senate, 1904-06. He was a Democrat, but supported the Republican Roosevelt during the latter's campaigns of 1904 and 1912. McIlhenny was appointed a U.S. Civil Service Commissioner, 30 November 1906; retained that post under Taft; and was appointed president of the Commission 12 June 1919. He resigned 11 October 1922 and retired in Washington, D.C. He purchased a farm near Charlottesville, Virginia, on 18 October 1926 and was debilitated by a series of heart attacks in the late 1930's.

1 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Father: Edmund MCILHENNY b: 1815 in Hagerstown,Washington County,Maryland

Mother: Mary Elizabeth AVERY b: 19 MAY 1838 in Baton Rouge,Louisiana

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When one traces the family tree of Mary Elizabeth Avery McIlhenny, then then much about the Avery Island and Avery/McIlhenny financial status comes into a new light, including how Avery Island was "bought back" into the family after he Civil War, when all in the South were quite broke and Avery Island Plantation had been completely destroyed by Northern troops.

The salt of Avery Island was an important commodity. One in which the true wealth of the family was not about to lose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rockefeller

William Avery Rockefeller, Jr

You got it!------------Same "Avery" family line!

Hankins Memorial Trophy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.odcmp.org/103/inc_book.asp

We also had Lt. Colonel Phil Roettinger – another buddy of Bill Jordan’s and at 6’ 6”, even taller than Jordan. Roettinger reputedly was a CIA agent when he wasn’t being a Marine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just perhaps someone should have asked Roettinger about his "gunrunning" & marksmanship training activities down in Mexico.

Hankins Memorial Trophy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.odcmp.org/103/inc_book.asp

We also had Lt. Colonel Phil Roettinger – another buddy of Bill Jordan’s and at 6’ 6”, even taller than Jordan. Roettinger reputedly was a CIA agent when he wasn’t being a Marine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just perhaps someone should have asked Roettinger about his "gunrunning" & marksmanship training activities down in Mexico.

I would suppose that one should not assume that those who read here are fully aware of exactly who? Philip C. Roettinger was, and exactly what enterprises he was involved in.

http://www.namebase.org/cgi-bin/nb06?_ROETTINGER_PHILIP_C

http://www.namebase.org/xroc/Philip-C-Roettinger.html

http://www.commongroundradio.org/shows/97/9741.html

ROETTINGER: The CIA was given the responsibility of the overthrow of the government of Hacobo Arbenz, the president of Guatemala, and I was one of the officers down in Honduras charged with training the exiles. We had a bunch of dissident Guatemalans that had fled their country and we gathered them together down there and trained them.

ROETTINGER: Initially we were told that we were preventing a communist beachhead in this hemisphere. We were told that President Arbenz was a communist and that he was going to have a leftist government, of course, there. And this was the only one at that time which had challenged our control. And President Arbenz decided that this was his country, it belonged to the Guatemalans and he was determined to run it the way he thought it ought to be run. Arbenz, of course, was not a communist in any form. He was a reformist and he was an army officer of course, and one of the few army officers that decided to reform instead of form a dictatorship over the people.

As much as he has told us, LTC Roettinger nevertheless has spoken little of his permanent move to Mexico, as well as the facts behind his company ,RPC, which was in the gun business out of Mexico City for a considerable number of years.

Too bad that Mr. Hemming no longer wastes his time on this forum, as one could rest assured that he could most likely tell us a thing or two about Philip Roettinger, RPC weapons company, rifles available through Mexico City, Mexico, as well as possibly some marksmanship ranges which were utilized there as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a reminder!

United Fruit Attorney: Charles E. Dunbar of Phelps/Dunbar/Marks/Claverie/& Sims

http://www.jfk-online.com/jpsgatguat.html

That is how the FBI version of the meeting ends. According to a CIA document dated June 26, 1953, the following also occurred:

-

After leaving the FBI offices, BARRIOS and GATLIN met with a Mr. DUNBAR, who occasionally represents the United Fruit Co. in New Orleans. They asked for one million dollars from the United Fruit Co., in support of BARRIOS' intended revolutionary movement in Guatemala, but they were unsuccessful in obtaining any commitment.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/ripples.htm

Colonel Barrios y Pena's role in the June 1954 uprising included firing off a letter from New Orleans to President Arbenz. The letter, dated May 18, warned Arbenz that he did not have the 'right to take the country to civil war. If you survive, the spilled blood will fall on you and your family.' The Colonel made the letter public in New Orleans on June 19, 1954, while the uprising was still in progress. Barrios y Pena had no comment to questions about whether he favored the success of Castillo Armas or whether he felt that Castillo Armas had "the welfare of the people of Guatemala at heart" (New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 20, 1954; Jerry Shinley, Newsgroup post of June 14, 1999).

http://www.jfk-online.com/jpsgatguat.html

Colonel Barrios was the grandson of General Justo Barrios, who was president of Guatemala from 1880 to 1885. The city of Puerto Barrios, on Guatemala's Atlantic coast, was named for the General. The Colonel's anti-Communist activities were funded by dictator Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic. (p. 124. Schlesinger, Stephen and Kinzer Stephen. _Bitter Fruit_. New York:

Anchor Books, 1990)

http://www.namebase.org/main4/William-D-Pawley.html

One could suppose that it is mere coincidence that:

William D. Pawley's wife was a graduate of Newcomb College (female academy of Tulane University)

&

Philip C. Roettinger's daughter was a later graduate of Tulane University as well.