The Education Forum

can't post a photo?

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

The "reply" page suddenly looks different - are we operating under a new software system? I can't find a way to post a photo. Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "reply" page suddenly looks different - are we operating under a new software system? I can't find a way to post a photo. Thanks.

I encountered this in another thread and commented on it. Apparently

the forum has been converted without notice or explanation to a site

without photos. This makes it 95 percent useless to me, since all of my

research involves pictures. Oh, well...I can use my time more productively

in other ways.

Jack

There has been a software update this evening and the icons do look very slightly different but they all still do the same things - if you hovver over them you should work out what to do

the forum has been converted without notice or explanation to a site

without photos.

Jack

If only I could convert this forum to one which is 95% free of idiots :lol: .

You CAN do everything you used to in the old version and I regret to reflect that you probably will.

Guest Mark Valenti

There has been a software update this evening and the icons do look very slightly different but they all still do the same things - if you hovver over them you should work out what to do

Ahh...the old hover over the icon trick!

Thanks Andy.

Despite Mr. Walker's assurance, I have tried several times to post a photo,

and there is no way to do so. If it has anything to do with TOGGLE SIDE

PANEL, I clicked on that several times, and nothing happens. Same with

BB CODE HELP, whatever that is.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

Despite Mr. Walker's assurance, I have tried several times to post a photo,

and there is no way to do so. If it has anything to do with TOGGLE SIDE

PANEL, I clicked on that several times, and nothing happens. Same with

BB CODE HELP, whatever that is.

Jack

Jack,

Below the text window is a fade blue box labeled "attachments"

On the right side select BROWSE and find your image, then press UPLOAD.

Edited by Craig Lamson

Below the text window is a fade blue box labeled "attachments"

Not on my Mac in Safari.

And the completely dead long rectangles above the text window that look like they might be trying to be drop-down menus don't do anythiing at all when clicked on. Only one of them even has text: Insert Special Item. Doesn't do diddly.

If only I could convert this forum to one which is 95% free of idiots :lol:

I would suggest starting with whoever set this "new, improved" version up, but it might not be politic. :lol:

Insert Special Item.

Ashton

Editing a posted message no longer works on a Mac, either.

The "Complete Edit" button doesn't.

Ashton

Correct, Ashton. On my Macs, there is no way to attach images.

Discrimination by devoted Bill Gates worshipers.

The new format is awful. The new type font is too small and hard to read.

Sucks.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

I have been unable to find out how to upload a photo from your computer or how to change the colour of the text.

I am having the same problem. With all respect to Ashton, and his helpful hints, I still perfer to utilize the RCD method of replying in color, but with this new system it's not working.

Dawn

I have been unable to find out how to upload a photo from your computer or how to change the colour of the text.

John, what do you mean by "your computer"? I don't even know who you're replying to, but am going to guess that you're refering to people on Macs. If so, somewhere the entire philosophy behind the use of the internet apparently got sent to the dustbin in favor of some other "priority" that's been set for the forum that I can't even guess at.

The internet is supposed to use a universal and unifying language. If not, somebody ought to go tell the World Wide Web Consortium that they've wasted a whole lot of time for a lot of decades trying to set standards.

The only company in the world I know who constantly is trying to leap-frog every new universal standard and set up some new entirely proprietary and exclusionary "standard" is Microsoft.

I have no idea what you and or Andy are doing to create the user interface of this forum, but if you've managed to exclude people (and it seems you have now, in a significant way), it's pretty cut and dried: you've violated established workable web standards in favor of some bells and whistles you found somewhere

I know for a fact that the phpbb forum engine works cross-platform because I've set up several that work just fine.

People who create "skins" and customizations for it, though, that make calls to some new gee-whiz Microsoft Internet Exploder-only hook will uniformly end up with a non-standard interface that excludes some number of users. It boils down simply to whether your priority is a user-friendly standards-compliant service, or some proprietary exclusionary front-end.

Ashton

John, what do you mean by "your computer"? I don't even know who you're replying to, but am going to guess that you're refering to people on Macs. If so, somewhere the entire philosophy behind the use of the internet apparently got sent to the dustbin in favor of some other "priority" that's been set for the forum that I can't even guess at.

The internet is supposed to use a universal and unifying language. If not, somebody ought to go tell the World Wide Web Consortium that they've wasted a whole lot of time for a lot of decades trying to set standards.

The only company in the world I know who constantly is trying to leap-frog every new universal standard and set up some new entirely proprietary and exclusionary "standard" is Microsoft.

I have no idea what you and or Andy are doing to create the user interface of this forum, but if you've managed to exclude people (and it seems you have now, in a significant way), it's pretty cut and dried: you've violated established workable web standards in favor of some bells and whistles you found somewhere

I know for a fact that the phpbb forum engine works cross-platform because I've set up several that work just fine.

People who create "skins" and customizations for it, though, that make calls to some new gee-whiz Microsoft Internet Exploder-only hook will uniformly end up with a non-standard interface that excludes some number of users. It boils down simply to whether your priority is a user-friendly standards-compliant service, or some proprietary exclusionary front-end.

I do not use a Mac (I am using a DELL PC). I always upload photos to the forum from my hard-drive. It is currently not allowing me to do that.

I had nothing to do with creating the latest version of the software. It seems to me to be greatly inferior to the previous version.

I do not use a Mac (I am using a DELL PC). I always upload photos to the forum from my hard-drive. It is currently not allowing me to do that.

I had nothing to do with creating the latest version of the software. It seems to me to be greatly inferior to the previous version.

Oh. :unsure::lol:

Yep, well, if you're having problems with it, too, then I'd have to agree. This seems to invoke the old saw: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And the AG Corallary: "If it is broke, only fix that part."

Ashton