The Education Forum

JFK Conspiracy Museum loses its space

JFK Conspiracy Museum loses its space

Dallas: Sandwich shop to replace facility that has served up theories

By DAVID FLICK / The Dallas Morning News

December 5, 2005

The Conspiracy Museum, which for more than a decade has given JFK tourists plenty to chew on, will soon be replaced by a sandwich shop.

The Conspiracy Museum's lease expires at the end of this month. Its president said it could reopen elsewhere.

The museum, which has occupied the first floor of the Katy Building downtown since 1995, will temporarily close after the first of the year.

The space will become a Quiznos, where visitors, hungry for the real truth, can have lunch and, if they choose, contemplate the theories behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy – with windows that overlook the JFK Memorial across the street.

The restaurant is scheduled to open in April.

Tom Bowden, the museum's president, said plans call for the museum to reopen in the spring, either elsewhere in the Katy Building or at some other location to be determined. He said detailed plans will be announced later this week.

The new museum will include an extensive redesign, he said.

The museum has served as an unofficial counterbalance to the more mainstream Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. Exhibits in the Conspiracy Museum largely consist of handmade panels questioning official explanations of the deaths of President Kennedy and other 1960s figures who – directly or indirectly – were connected to him.

These include Robert F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby. Other exhibition space has been devoted to the alleged UFO sightings in Roswell, N.M.

The museum receives about 12,000 visitors a year, not enough to break even, Mr. Bowden said. The Sixth Floor Museum has about 325,000 visitors per year.

He said expenses have been subsidized by revenue from his participation in JFK-related documentaries and other projects.

Sharon Friedberg, a spokeswoman for the building's owners, said the museum has been paying a lower rental rate for what had been the building's most valuable retail space.

Moving the museum allows the owners to charge the market rate, she said.

"We really wanted retail in the building, and this was the only space that opened to the street without requiring people to walk through a lobby," Ms. Friedberg said.

The museum's lease expires at the end of this month, and the building's owners have notified Mr. Bowden that he must vacate the space after then, she said.

She said they have offered Mr. Bowden space elsewhere in the building.

"We'd love to keep them here. They're a great addition to downtown," Ms. Friedberg said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.3de1160.html

Edited by Michael Hogan

Sharon Friedberg, a spokeswoman for the building's owners, said the museum has been paying a lower rental rate for what had been the building's most valuable retail space.

"We really wanted retail in the building, and this was the only space that opened to the street without requiring people to walk through a lobby," Ms. Friedberg said.

The same thing that killed JFK is mirrored in this minor 'death' of the museum....but casts the big shadow of the death of America - the power of money over all else.

WHAT A SHAME!!!!!! Speaking for myself, i think that the museum is sort of a landmark for all who visit Dealey Plaza, wheather they are just visitors, or serious researchers/buffs. You dont go to DP, and not visit the Museum. A wonderful place to spend hours looking through all kinds of historical memorabilia, films, and just chatting with other like minded "buffs". Not to mention a place to find very cool out of print books on the assassination.. The thought of it not being there is heartbreaking. I surely hope they stay open, hopefully in the same building, or if not, not far from where they are. Its sad to hear that they cant, or, just break even. I dont know about anyone else, but i am going to send Mr. Bowden a donation, to help out with his relocation, and any other expenses needed to keep the place open. Anyone here who feels the same as i do, please help out if you feel led. I would hate to see it pass away like many other things concerning the assassination. We need to keep places like Mr. Bowdens museum open and active for others, and future generation "buffs' alike.

thanks-smitty

The same thing that killed JFK is mirrored in this minor 'death' of the museum....but casts the big shadow of the death of America - the power of money over all else.

WHAT A SHAME!!!!!! Speaking for myself, i think that the museum is sort of a landmark for all who visit Dealey Plaza, wheather they are just visitors, or serious researchers/buffs. You dont go to DP, and not visit the Museum. A wonderful place to spend hours looking through all kinds of historical memorabilia, films, and just chatting with other like minded "buffs". Not to mention a place to find very cool out of print books on the assassination.. The thought of it not being there is heartbreaking. I surely hope they stay open, hopefully in the same building, or if not, not far from where they are. Its sad to hear that they cant, or, just break even. I dont know about anyone else, but i am going to send Mr. Bowden a donation, to help out with his relocation, and any other expenses needed to keep the place open. Anyone here who feels the same as i do, please help out if you feel led. I would hate to see it pass away like many other things concerning the assassination. We need to keep places like Mr. Bowdens museum open and active for others, and future generation "buffs' alike.

thanks-smitty

Michael, I forgot to thank you for starting this post. If possible, can you keep us posted as to what is decided 'later this week" by Mr. Bowden as to his plans? Thank you in advance.--smitty

thanks-smitty

Michael, I forgot to thank you for starting this post. If possible, can you keep us posted as to what is decided 'later this week" by Mr. Bowden as to his plans? Thank you in advance.--smitty

I for one, am going to donate some money.

thanks-smitty

I for one, am going to donate some money.

Thank you Peter! Hopefully we can get some more people here on the site rolling along with us and help out with the preservation of the museum. Im sure alot of others here feel the same as we do about this situation. For anyone interested in sending in a donation, i have the following address:

The Consiracy Museum

110 So. Market St.

Dallas, Tx 75202 Phone # 214-741-3040

thanks in advance--smitty

From The Dallas Morning News:

Yeah, Right: Our theory? This is nothing but a conspiracy

December 11, 2006

Sure, believe the official version if it comforts you at night. Keep your head buried in the sand.

But is this really plausible? Does it make sense that the Conspiracy Museum, the only beacon of truth for the JFK assassination – not to mention RFK, MLK, Lincoln, Korean Air 007 and every other significant such event of the last two centuries – is losing its prime downtown Dallas location to a Quiznos?

Think about it. Do we really need more toasted subs? (Heck, there's a Subway not three blocks away. It has a toaster oven, you know.)

Past is prologue. The truth is out there. We just have to find it.

With apologies to Oliver Stone, ask the questions a wise, if troubled, man might have asked:

Could the Mob cause the owners of the historic Katy Building to decide that first-floor, street-access retail space should yield fair-market rent? Could the Mob locate the truth directly across from the JFK Memorial, on the opposite side from the official-version Sixth Floor Museum? Could the Mob position Quiznos imposters all over town, just to throw off suspicion?

Could the Mob change the parade route or eliminate the protection for the president? Could the Mob send Quiznos to Russia and get it back? Could the Mob get the FBI, the CIA and the Dallas police to make a mess of the investigation? Could the Mob appoint the Warren Commission to cover it up? Could the Mob wreck the autopsy? Could the Mob influence the national media to go to sleep?

And since when has the Mob used anything but .38s for hits, up close?

The Mob wouldn't have the guts or the power for something of this magnitude. Assassins need payrolls, orders, times, schedules. This was a military-style ambush from start to finish, a coup d'etat with Quiznos waiting in the wings.

Rogue elements of the CIA and military intelligence, right-wing extremists, defense contractors, anti-Castro Cubans – heck, maybe "The Beard" himself – where does it all lead?

That's right. The PWM – the Professional War Machine. (Yes, we used to call it the military-industrial complex, but that was too hard to explain.)

Sure, believe, if you like, that one lone nut took down the Conspiracy Museum. If the government would just release all of the classified documents, we'd know.

Quiznos is a patsy. You'd know it, too, if you'd just open your eyes.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.3ddaaad.html

From The Dallas Morning News:

Yeah, Right: Our theory? This is nothing but a conspiracy

December 11, 2006

Sure, believe the official version if it comforts you at night. Keep your head buried in the sand.

But is this really plausible? Does it make sense that the Conspiracy Museum, the only beacon of truth for the JFK assassination – not to mention RFK, MLK, Lincoln, Korean Air 007 and every other significant such event of the last two centuries – is losing its prime downtown Dallas location to a Quiznos?

Think about it. Do we really need more toasted subs? (Heck, there's a Subway not three blocks away. It has a toaster oven, you know.)

Past is prologue. The truth is out there. We just have to find it.

With apologies to Oliver Stone, ask the questions a wise, if troubled, man might have asked:

Could the Mob cause the owners of the historic Katy Building to decide that first-floor, street-access retail space should yield fair-market rent? Could the Mob locate the truth directly across from the JFK Memorial, on the opposite side from the official-version Sixth Floor Museum? Could the Mob position Quiznos imposters all over town, just to throw off suspicion?

Could the Mob change the parade route or eliminate the protection for the president? Could the Mob send Quiznos to Russia and get it back? Could the Mob get the FBI, the CIA and the Dallas police to make a mess of the investigation? Could the Mob appoint the Warren Commission to cover it up? Could the Mob wreck the autopsy? Could the Mob influence the national media to go to sleep?

And since when has the Mob used anything but .38s for hits, up close?

The Mob wouldn't have the guts or the power for something of this magnitude. Assassins need payrolls, orders, times, schedules. This was a military-style ambush from start to finish, a coup d'etat with Quiznos waiting in the wings.

Rogue elements of the CIA and military intelligence, right-wing extremists, defense contractors, anti-Castro Cubans – heck, maybe "The Beard" himself – where does it all lead?

That's right. The PWM – the Professional War Machine. (Yes, we used to call it the military-industrial complex, but that was too hard to explain.)

Sure, believe, if you like, that one lone nut took down the Conspiracy Museum. If the government would just release all of the classified documents, we'd know.

Quiznos is a patsy. You'd know it, too, if you'd just open your eyes.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.3ddaaad.html

• 5 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

"So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?

Do you think you can tell? And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground. What have you found? The same old fears.

Wish you were here. "

Governor's First Son To Wed Nancy Smith

‎Daily Boston Globe - Apr 18, 1939

... Saturday she caught the bride s bouquet -pretty Marion Lawrence's armful of ... Chapel to Robert Bradley Cutler of Needham Saltonstall

Governor's Son and Fiancee at Suffolk Downs

Daily Boston Globe - Jun 10, 1939

With them are Mrs. Robert B. Cutler (Marion Lawrence) of Groton and Boston (left ), and Samuel E. Peabody of Groton and George Aldrich of Brookline (right).

(Samuel E. Peabody was the brother of Marietta Peabody Fitzgerald, wife of CIA's Desmond Fitzgerald, and

later Adlai Stevenson's lover. Samuel and Marietta's aunt was Dorothy Peabody Davison, wife of CIA's F. Trubee Davison.....

F.T. DAVISON WED TO MISS PEABODY; New York Financier's Son ...

query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res...

... a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Davison of New York, and Miss Dorothy Peabody, a daughter of the Rev. Endicott Peabody and Mrs. Peabody of Groton, Mass.,)

Pro-Axis Firms to Be Blacklisted Following War

‎Daily Boston Globe - Sep 26, 1944

Mr Robert Cutler Is Granted Divorce Mrs Marion Lawrence Cutler of Groton was granted divorce yesterday from Navy Lt Robert Bradley Cutler of Needham on

http://www.baylor.ed...ex.php?id=86038

Robert Bradley Cutler

Materials:

171896.jpgFull name: Robert Bradley "Bob" Cutler

Born: November 8, 1913 in Dover, Massachusetts, United States

Died: September 1, 2010 in Whitinsville, Massachusetts, United States

CUTLER, Robert Bradley Formerly of Beverly Farms and Grafton, MA., died September 1 in Whitinsville, MA at 96. Born November 8, 1913 in Charles River, Mass. to Roger W. and former State Senator Leslie B. Cutler, he graduated Noble & Greenough School, Harvard College and the Harvard Graduate School of Design.

He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific in World War II. He practiced architecture in New York City, and Boston and Manchester, Mass. He researched extensively the assassinations of both John and Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, published several books on his theories and established The Conspiracy Museum in Dallas, Texas to disprove the lone assassin conclusion of the Warren Commission's investigation of President Kennedy's assassination.

He rowed for the United States in the coxed four at the 1936 Berlin Olympics with his brother Roger and three Harvard crew mates, then later competed annually into his early 80s at the Head of the Charles and Schuylkill races. He was an avid tennis player and organizer at the Essex County Club in Manchester for 40 years.

He leaves his wife of 65 years, Claire, three sons, Robert B. Jr. of Garrison, NY, J. Christopher of Grafton MA., L. Bradley of Sacramento, CA, nine grandchildren and five great grandchildren. His daughter, Camilla Coolidge predeceased him.

Cutler Books cataloged

Grassy Knoll Gazette - News Journal by Robert Bradley Cutler

http://query.nytimes...757C0A9669D8B63

Paid Notice: Deaths OSBORN, MRS

Published: April 14, 2010 OSBORN--Mrs. Marion Lawrence, died in her sleep in Garrison, NY on April 12, 2010. She was 91 years of age. She was born in Boston on Sept. 7th, 1918, and married A. Perry Osborn, Jr. of Garrison, NY in 1954. They lived in New York City and at Castle Rock, Garrison, NY. They supported many causes in Phillipstown, including being early supporters of the Walter Hoving Home. When her husband died in 1973, Mrs. Osborn started work as a patient's representative at the Burke Rehabilitation Center in White Plains, NY. She then moved to Tobago, West Indies, in 1985 where she lived until this January. She leaves two children, Robert Cutler of Garrison, NY and Peter Campbell of London; eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Alison Aldrich Attended by 10 At Her Nuptials; 1963...

‎New York Times - Jan 4, 1965

8-MIss Alison Hathaway Aldrich, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Davenport Aldrich, was married today to Robert Bradley Cutler Jr. He is the son of Mrs. A.

PriscillaJohnsonAldridgeDevensRobertBcutler.jpg

Mrs. Lucy Devens Wed To George D. Aldrich

New York Times - Jun 20, 1971

Mrs. Lucy A. Doyens of South Norwalk, Conn., was married here today to her ... Her 1946 marriage to David W. Devens, a Johnson Higgins vice president

PriscillaJohnsonLucyAldridgeDevensWedGeorgeAldridgehisDauMrsRobertCutlerJr.jpg

George D. Aldrich, 61; a Banker And Cousin of the Rockefelle...

‎New York Times - Feb 8, 1978

George D. Aldrich, a Massachusetts investment banker and a first cousin of the ... He was married to Lucy Devens in 1971. Besides his wife, he is by twa ..

MISS LUCY ALDRICH MARRIED TO OFFICER; Daughter of Banker...

New York Times - Nov 18, 1945

Miss Lucy Truman Aldrich, third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Withrop W. Aldrich,

was married yesterday afternoon to Second Lieut. David Wetmore Devens, AUS, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur L. Devens of Boston, in the chapel of the Riverside Church. The Rev. Dr. Harry Emerson Fosdick per- formed the ceremony in the pres- ence of relatives and a few friends of the couple. Mr. Alldrich gave his daughter in marriage.

The bride is a granddaughter of the late United States Senator Nelson W. Aldrich of Rhode Island and of the late Mrs. Aldrich, and of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Beatty Alexander, whose home for many years was 4 West Fifty- eigth Street. She is a niece of Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Miss Lucy Aldrich, Mrs. Arnold Whit- ridge and Mrs. Sheldon Whitehouse, and through her maternal

grandmother, is a member of the Crocker family of California.

The bride wore a white satin gown, and an heirloom lace veil that had been worn by her mother and also by her sister, mrs. Edgar Bering, Jr., the former Harriet Aldrich. She was attended by her other sister, the Misses Mary

and Elizabeth Aldrich, who were at- tired in green taffeta and carried autumn flowers.

Chief Boatswain's Mate Richard Mather Devens, USNR, was best man for his

brother, whose ushers were another brother, Lieut. Comdr. Philip Cutler and Lieut. Benjamin Bradlee,

all USNR; Alexander Al- drich, brother of the bride, and Joseph Reed. A reception was given at the Aldrich home,

15 East! Seventy- Street.

http://www.nytimes.c...agewanted=print

March 1, 1981

Constance Bradlee Thayer Is Wed To David Devens

Constance Bradlee Thayer of New York, widow of Francis C. Thayer, was married yesterday to David W. Devens, also of New York, a retired vice president of Johnson & Higgins, the international insurance brokers. Bishop Paul Moore of the Episcopal Diocese of New York performed the ceremony at the Church of the Heavenly Rest.

The bride, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Frederick J. Bradlee of Boston, was given in marriage by her son, Francis C. Thayer Jr. David W. Devens Jr. served as his father's best man.

Mr. Devens's previous marriage, to the former Lucy Aldrich, now Mrs. Francis H. Burr, ended in divorce. He is the son of Mrs. Arthur L. Devens of Boston and the late Mr. Devens. He is a graduate of Groton School and Harvard.

http://www.highbeam....P2-8223514.html

Constance Bradlee Devens, 69; former Vogue magazine editor

April 16, 1993

Constance Bradlee Devens, a former Vogue magazine fashion editor, died Saturday in New York after a long illness. She was 69.

Mrs. Devens was raised in Boston and graduated from the Beaver Country Day School. She was the daughter of Frederick J. Bradlee -- a former All-American football player at Harvard and longtime chairman of the Massachusetts Parole Board -- and Josephine (deGersdorff) Bradlee, who was awarded France's Legion of Honor for her work in facilitating the adoption of French children in America after World War II.

Mrs. Devens left Boston in 1941 and moved to New York, where she launched a career at Vogue. She married Francis C. Thayer, a documentary film maker, …Thayer Walker of Houston, and Sarah Thayer Robinson of New York; two brothers, Frederic Bradlee of New York and Benjamin C. Bradlee of Washington, DC ...

FRANCIS `HOOKS' BURR; HELPED SHAPE FUTURE OF MGH, …

‎Boston Globe - Nov 30, 2004

In 1979, he married Lucy Aldrich. ... his wife's children, Wenonah Devens of San Francisco and David W. Devens of Niantic, Conn.; nine grandchildren and three .

Edited by Tom Scully