The Education Forum

Ralph Yarborough on 11-22-63?

Pat Speer

Throughout the past year, I've been creating a small database of eyewitness statements regarding the sound of the shots. The first signed statement of Ralph Yarborough is his statement to the Warren Commission in July, 1964. Here he said that the l;ast two shots were bunched together. Besides that, I have a quote from him printed in the Texas Observer from 11-29-63. Here he says the first two shots are bunched. This quote is in opposition to his statement to the Warren Commission. I'm looking for any other early quotes from Yarborough, so I can decide whether he was simply misquoted by The Texas Observer, or whether he had in fact changed his mind about the shots.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Edited by Pat Speer

Throughout the past year, I've been creating a small database of eyewitness statements regarding the sound of the shots. The first signed statement of Ralph Yarborough is his statement to the Warren Commission in July, 1964. Here he said that the l;ast two shots were bunched together. Besides that, I have a quote from him printed in the Texas Observer from 11-29-63. Here he says the first two shots are bunched. This quote is in opposition to his statement to the Warren Commission. I'm looking for any other early quotes from Yarborough, so I can decide whether he was simply misquoted by The Texas Observer, or whether he had in fact changed his mind about the shots.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

Misquotes are not uncommon. About all one can do is find a common ground for I believe Yarborough was telling the truth to the best of his ability. For instance, what might have been the last two shots in Ralph's mind may have been the first two shots he'd heard depending on whether the question was answered by what he had discovered to be the case Vs. when he actually recognized that an assassination was underway. In Altgens #6, Yarborough is still smiling and Brehm is still clapping, thus Ralph would be correct to describe the last two shots as the first two shots that registered with him. So I guess it all would depend on how the question was put to Yarborough and how he perceived it at that time.

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller