The Education Forum

John,

Asking for additional clarification, please. Thanks.

Are Don's 4 quadrant maps accurate?

If there are inaccuracies, what are they? How significant are they?

My analysis indicates it may be a copy of Marsh's map. It appears to have differences to other surveys and there appear to be problems with placing photographers. Broadly it appears to me that there are three areas each of which is correct but with a mistake that when combined produces a map that is not reliable. Perhaps by meters at worst. As the maps available to compare with are fragmentary or small it's hard to say exactly how it's incorrect. I hope that a discussion about this by the people here like Tom, Bob and Don will resolve this. I've experience as a survey assstant and the others have all probably more experience and the resources to get it right.

The image posted roughly delineates the three areas that I see as being correct in themselves but not in relation to each other.

I hope that a discussion about this by the people here like Tom, Bob and Don will resolve this.

Hope so.

John, Don et al.,

What is your opinion of the accuracy of this map:

Dealey_Plaza_map-bm2.gif

Thank you for posting that Miles. I'll take a look and respond. Can you provide some background to this particular map I can't read the fine print. Also if you have a larger one perhaps email it (address in my bio) or open a free photbucket.com account and upload it there?

The result of this remainng an unresolved issue hampers progress. There are a number of issues such as locating the headshot Z313 and film synchronisation issues and from that deriving a proper fragment trajectory analysis that are impossible to resolve without knowing that the plat one works with, and the levels etc, are correct. Apart from distances, a complete topology is very important with clearly readable levels.

John,

PM your e-mail. Thx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that a discussion about this by the people here like Tom, Bob and Don will resolve this.

Hope so.

John, Don et al.,

What is your opinion of the accuracy of this map:

Thank you for posting that Miles. I'll take a look and respond. Can you provide some background to this particular map I can't read the fine print. Also if you have a larger one perhaps email it (address in my bio) or open a free photbucket.com account and upload it there?

The result of this remainng an unresolved issue hampers progress. There are a number of issues such as locating the headshot Z313 and film synchronisation issues and from that deriving a proper fragment trajectory analysis that are impossible to resolve without knowing that the plat one works with, and the levels etc, are correct. Apart from distances, a complete topology is very important with clearly readable levels.

John,

PM your e-mail. Thx

Miles,

I'd like to see a larger map as well. Is there anyway you can put up a link so we l can all view it?

Thanks.

Kathy Beckett

Hi Kathy,

I'm having trouble forwarding this map. I do not have a link for it. :unsure: I have tried to forward it to John. I cannot forward it to anyone as yet. Perhaps, if John does receive it, he can post it to the forum, if he has better capabilities than I do. Hope so!

Thx for your interest in this topic.

M

OK, Miles I got it by email. The problem with hosting it is its size.

1.45mb compuserve gif.

If anyone can host it for people to download please email/pm for a copy.

1.45mb compuserve gif.

Hi John.

Email me a copy and i will upload it to my site.

Done. Thank you Robin.

1.45mb compuserve gif.

Hi John.

That's great, Robin. Again, your site comes up aces!

This map is remarkable. Somewhat startled that you & John have not got it. Hence my not bookmarking where I found it some weeks ago. If you have any trouble uploading it let me know.

Edited by Miles Scull

The photo is a composite of Miles' map and a virtual model. The virtual model is accurate to within 1 foot, according to the program.

Everything seems to be fairly close EXCEPT for the Book Depository, judging by the double lines that indicate building width.

chris

The photo is a composite of Miles' map and a virtual model. The virtual model is accurate to within 1 foot, according to the program.

Everything seems to be fairly close EXCEPT for the Book Depository, judging by the double lines that indicate building width.

chris

Thx, Chris, for the overlay. I think Dale Myers has done some virtual models.

Did you use a virtual modeling program here, Chris? If so, which one? Link?

[Chris, Robin, John, B et al.: BTW, at http://www.jfkfiles.com/ Dale has a new article: "Report: Epipolar Geometric Analysis of Amateur Films Related to Acoustics Evidence in the John F. Kennedy Assassination / 179 pages / Over 100 Graphic Exhibits."

Haven't read it yet, but a 44 MB PDF download with high res photos, etc., looks PDI (Pretty Damn Interesting).]

Thank you Robin for uploading the plat to your site.

alternative: 1978 HSCA DP northern half by Drommer Surveyors, Dallas.

1mb jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/yan...P_ss_HSCA-1.jpg

Myers new film synch. contribution. Interesting: timing and content. Compare "Missing Nix frames" topic for background and methods for such as Dorman composite.

1.45mb compuserve gif.

Hi John.

This map is remarkable. Somewhat startled that you & John have not got it. Hence my not bookmarking where I found it some weeks ago. If you have any trouble uploading it let me know.

Hi Miles :

Great looking map, may I throw a but in here... :rolleyes:

One point jumped out at me, there is far too much distance shown between the Presidents 100X, and the SS Queen Mary..........it was approx 5 feet, not approx 25 ft, behind...and from what I see on that map, it appears in error...

I do not know if these would come in handy but here are a couple....for now, if interested....

B.....

1.45mb compuserve gif.

Hi John.

Hi Miles :

One point jumped out at me, there is far too much distance shown between the Presidents 100X, and the SS Queen Mary..........it was approx 5 feet, not approx 25 ft, behind...and from what I see on that map, it appears in error...

I do not know if these would come in handy but here are a couple....for now, if interested....

B.....

Bernice,

That map you are talking about is mine. I was done a number of years ago and I can't remember what it was for. If I remember correctly the position of the Queen Mary was a gestimate and as you point out it is not at all acurate. It is best to disregard those positions.

James.

chris

Thx, Chris, for the overlay. I think Dale Myers has done some virtual models.

Did you use a virtual modeling program here, Chris? If so, which one? Link?

[Chris, Robin, John, B et al.: BTW, at http://www.jfkfiles.com/ Dale has a new article: "Report: Epipolar Geometric Analysis of Amateur Films Related to Acoustics Evidence in the John F. Kennedy Assassination / 179 pages / Over 100 Graphic Exhibits."

Haven't read it yet, but a 44 MB PDF download with high res photos, etc., looks PDI (Pretty Damn Interesting).]

Miles,

The virtual model was created for the Discovery program "Murder in Dealy Plaza".

Didn't mean to imply I created it.

chris

1.45mb compuserve gif.

Hi John.

Hi Miles :

B.....

Bernice,

That map you are talking about is mine. I was done a number of years ago and I can't remember what it was for. If I remember correctly the position of the Queen Mary was a gestimate and as you point out it is not at all acurate. It is best to disregard those positions.

James.

Thanks James :

Some of we members have been into the Secret Service Thread, and I recalled what Roberts said in his statement, and of course it certainly did not comply

with the films and photographs.....taken that day...

Thank you for your reply....and clarification.....

B

Edited by Bernice Moore

Thank you Robin for uploading the plat to your site.

1mb jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/yan...P_ss_HSCA-1.jpg

Myers new film synch. contribution. Interesting: timing and content. Compare "Missing Nix frames" topic for background and methods for such as Dorman composite.

Which happens to be the second best "Professionally Surveyed" map of Dealy Plaza.

However! It too has it's good points as well as it's bad points.

Bad Point#1:

The survey appears to have been conducted after the re-surfacing/re-asphalting of Elm St. Thus, most street elevations appear to be approximately (+/-) 1-inch higher than what was established during the SS & WC survey work.

Bad Point#2:

The survey group DID NOT carry established elevation into the surveyed area. They merely established a point and gave it the random elevation of 100.

Whereas, Mr. West, during the SS Survey work, had carried established elevation control into the surveyed area from an established Survey Control Station/Benchmark which was a brass marker located at the NW Corner of the County Court House.

Thus, one has difficulty in correlation of WC/SS Survey data and that data as established during the HSCA Survey.

Guest Gary Loughran

1.45mb compuserve gif.

Hi John.

Hi Robin,

I have been unable to save the map from your site, I have used both IE7 And Firefox browsers. Is it still available?

I'm using the site identified in your sig.

Cheers

Gary