The Education Forum

CE399/The Lead Protrusion

Hi Tom,

Frazier says on at least two occasions there were 3 fragments of lead and at least once cites their relative weights in grains. So in spite of the selective questioning Frazier still gets the pertinent facts into testimony...or am I reading this wrong.

How did you work out that the fragment extruded from CE399 was .9 grains. This does match the weight testified to by Frazier of one of the fragments. But how, in your calculation, did you arrive at this precise fragment/weight?

I may have missed something in your posts, so apologies in advance.

Thanks

Gary

Gary;

In my multiple discussions with Frazier I found that he quite obviously knew more than he would or possibly will ever tell.

He knows, believe me!

And, since it is most unlikely that I am more qualified than he, and have never had my hands on the exact evidence in a laboratory such as he did, then it can almost be stated as an absolute.

Frazier was under the control of JEH as well as Arlen Specter, and if one will recall, Specter completely "rehearsed" virtually each and every witness before they actually testified.

Frazier frequently "qualified" much of his testimony, especially that doing with examination of the clothing.

With, such as:

1. "Which he allegedly was wearing that day."

2. "and that is again assuming that when I first examined the shirt it was-it had not been altered from the condition it was in at the time the hole was made."

3. "When the tie was first examined by me in the laboratiory I noted".

In this regards I have never found even a single instance where Frazier either lied or even misrepresented the truths and facts.

However, even when he subtly answers the type questions which were posed to him by Specter, Frazier nevertheless "gave" us information in a manner that is cleverly hidden, yet extremely pertinent to the overall facts.

I also found this to be somewhat similar in my discussions with him, and although I at many times wanted to come outright and "Ask the Big One", I had no way of factually knowing if Frazier was in fact a part of the misrepresentations or not and I most assuredly did not want to close the door to this avenue of critical information.

As in the case of the missing base to the bullet, as well as every other single instance, I found that Frazier always told me the facts and truths to his best recollections.

And, I consider his extremely subtile and completely overlooked statement in New Orleans as another of his ways of telling, without telling.

And, rest assured that Frazier knows EXACTLY how CE399 came to exist.

Frazier listed/snuck in for us the individual weights of each of the fragments which composed CE840.

These were:

Mr. FRAZIER - The three pieces of metal are lead. They were weighed immediately upon recovery and were found to weigh nine-tenths of a grain, seven-tenths of a grain, and seven-tenths of a grain, respectively.

Now!

All that one has to do is resolve exactly which fragment of the three disappeared and what it's weight was.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gary Loughran
Hi Tom,

Frazier says on at least two occasions there were 3 fragments of lead and at least once cites their relative weights in grains. So in spite of the selective questioning Frazier still gets the pertinent facts into testimony...or am I reading this wrong.

How did you work out that the fragment extruded from CE399 was .9 grains. This does match the weight testified to by Frazier of one of the fragments. But how, in your calculation, did you arrive at this precise fragment/weight?

Thanks

Gary

Gary;

In my multiple discussions with Frazier I found that he quite obviously knew more than he would or possibly will ever tell.

He knows, believe me!

And, since it is most unlikely that I am more qualified than he, and have never had my hands on the exact evidence in a laboratory such as he did, then it can almost be stated as an absolute.

Frazier was under the control of JEH as well as Arlen Specter, and if one will recall, Specter completely "rehearsed" virtually each and every witness before they actually testified.

Frazier frequently "qualified" much of his testimony, especially that doing with examination of the clothing.

With, such as:

2. "and that is again assuming that when I first examined the shirt it was-it had not been altered from the condition it was in at the time the hole was made."

In this regards I have never found even a single instance where Frazier either lied or even misrepresented the truths and facts.

However, even when he subtly answers the type questions which were posed to him by Specter, Frazier nevertheless "gave" us information in a manner that is cleverly hidden, yet extremely pertinent to the overall facts.

I also found this to be somewhat similar in my discussions with him, and although I at many times wanted to come outright and "Ask the Big One", I had no way of factually knowing if Frazier was in fact a part of the misrepresentations or not and I most assuredly did not want to close the door to this avenue of critical information.

As in the case of the missing base to the bullet, as well as every other single instance, I found that Frazier always told me the facts and truths to his best recollections.

And, I consider his extremely subtile and completely overlooked statement in New Orleans as another of his ways of telling, without telling.

Frazier listed/snuck in for us the individual weights of each of the fragments which composed CE840.

These were:

Mr. FRAZIER - The three pieces of metal are lead. They were weighed immediately upon recovery and were found to weigh nine-tenths of a grain, seven-tenths of a grain, and seven-tenths of a grain, respectively.

Now!

All that one has to do is resolve exactly which fragment of the three disappeared and what it's weight was.

Thanks Tom,

I will not pretend I understand ballistics. With that in mind, is a fragment weighing .9 grains sufficient to cause the alleged damage to the anterior of the throat?

Also, are you saying that Frazier always answered three despite the evidence i.e. CE840 only showing 2, fragments. I'm not privy to the Warren report, nor would I profess to have studied same. In light of this did Specter or any commission member ever pull Frazier up on his testimony, which, on the face of it, challenges their evidence vis CE 840?

Thanks for your time and research

Gary

A continuation for those who have interest in how factual research should be approached and conducted.

For those who may be following along, please note that the .51 grains of missing weight is in fact a mute issue as to the initial examination of CE399*

*It is not a mute point as regards later examination as it is responsible for some of the confusion regarding the weight of the bullet when the HSCA went to examine the bullet for their NAA work.

(Hope you caught that------Stu.)

The posted pages of the long ago written manuscript were done long prior to the release by the National Archives of that photograph which clearly demonstrates that FBI Agent Frazier informed me correctly as to the condition of the bullet when he examined and weighed the bullet.

Therefore, the entire copper jacket which normally covers a portion of the base of the bullet was, as demonstrated in the National Archives photo, clearly present when Frazier weighed the bullet; Gallagher did the NAA on the bullet; and the bullet was turned over to the National Archives.

So, other than future aid in resolving some of the conflicting weight issues as regards CE399 when they (the HSCA) examined the bullet, the approximate .51 grain weight of the bullet which has been removed, has no bearing on the accountability for the weight of the bullet at the time that it was received by the FBI.

Therefore, the ultimate accountability for weight to CE399 remains at:

Recovered weight:-------------------------------------------------------------------------158.6 grains

Approximate weight loss as a result of having been fired:---------------------------+ 0.67 grains

Total:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 159.27 grains

To this, we can add the 0.9 grain weight of the small fragment of lead which was extruded out the base of CE399 and which was sheared from the base of the bullet as a result of the base-first impact with the right transverse process of the C7 vertebrae.

This fragment being what continued forward and exited the throat of JFK and creating the small anterior throat wound.

But Purv, if you go by the weight that Frazier gave of 160.9 grains and subtract .67, you get 160.23 grains. Even if you rounded 160.9 to 161.0 and then subtracted .67, you'd get 160.33. Then we have the .7 + .7 + .9 frags that added up to 2.3, and subtracted from 160.9 or 161.0 yielded 158.6 or 158.7, respectively. Now, we're adding .67 to either of those numbers and coming out with 159.27 or 159.37. If you take the initial 2.3 sum of the .7, .7, and .9 frags, and subtract .67 from it, you're going to get 1.63 So, what you're saying here is that one of the .7 frags has gone missing, because 2 (.7) frags will add up to 1.4, whereas the .9 and one of the .7 frags will add up to 1.63. Where do you think that other .7 frag went? Or, maybe I'm more confused than I thought.

And, I'm still having problems with a trajectory traveling however many fps on a downward slope, entering 3 inches or so below the posterior collar line, or at what appears to be posteriorly and laterally right of the 4th cervical vertebra, or C4, and not exit from the right anterior chest wall closer to the area near where the sternum and clavicle come together. Where are you saying a posterior entrance wound on the back was with respect to where you believe the anterior exit wound was located?

Also, how could the trajectory have made an upward path having entered so much lower and to the right of the spine, even if it had nicked one of the cervical vertebral bodies, wouldn't it have shattered the smaller cervical vertebra, and wouldn't that have been documented in the WCR?

Plus the fact, if you're trying to make a case for a smaller wound below the right posterior occiput as being the entrance wound, I would've thought that the shooter might have been closer to ground level in order for an entrance wound, immediately below the right posterior occiput, be able to fly as far as it being able to line up with an anterior exit wound located below the cricoid cartilage. That would seem more feasible than coming from 6 stories above. That's just MHO. I'm no expert, here. Just another Stu, if you will. But I sure wish John Ritchson was still around.

I'm sorry Purv, but I've never been able to reconcile myself with that poor excuse of a trajectory diagram peddled back in 1964, and unless the feat can be duplicated to the nth degree, I'm not going to be able to buy it. I'm just not seeing it as being able to fly like that.

Edited by Terry Mauro

Hi Tom,

Thanks

Gary

Gary;

He knows, believe me!

With, such as:

These were:

Now!

Thanks Tom,

I will not pretend I understand ballistics. With that in mind, is a fragment weighing .9 grains sufficient to cause the alleged damage to the anterior of the throat?

Also, are you saying that Frazier always answered three despite the evidence i.e. CE840 only showing 2, fragments. I'm not privy to the Warren report, nor would I profess to have studied same. In light of this did Specter or any commission member ever pull Frazier up on his testimony, which, on the face of it, challenges their evidence vis CE 840?

Thanks for your time and research

Gary

First off, a good review of the size of the anterior throat wound, as seen by the Parkland personnel, would be recommended.

Virtually all claimed a 3mm to 5mm size.

Then, a review of the diameter of the lead core of the bullet which is normally exposed at the base of the WCC Carcano would be in order. It measure exactly 4.5mm.

CE840 (all three fragments) were received and photographed by Frazier.

During WC Testimony, we were dealing only with the original photo, which is included, and of course included all three fragments.

Actually, the fragment disappeared before the National Archives ever received the evidence.

Just that it did not become known until much later and was completely verified when the HSCA photographed all evidence prior to taking possession of it.

The anterior throat wound was extremely small (3mm to 5mm) as consistantly reported, and other than that there was only a small slice into the right lateral side of the trachea.

And as one of the Parkland Dr.'s reported, if the anterior throat wound was an exit wound, then the velocity of the projectile must have been so limited that it virtually fell out of the neck as there were none of the tell tell indications of skin having been "blown" out by a high velocity projectile.

This is what originally caused the entry/exit confusion.

Exit wounds of medium/high velocity projectiles also tear small areas of the epidermal skin and remove this along with the creation of the actual exit wound.

Hope that answers a portion.

A continuation for those who have interest in how factual research should be approached and conducted.

For those who may be following along, please note that the .51 grains of missing weight is in fact a mute issue as to the initial examination of CE399*

*It is not a mute point as regards later examination as it is responsible for some of the confusion regarding the weight of the bullet when the HSCA went to examine the bullet for their NAA work.

(Hope you caught that------Stu.)

The posted pages of the long ago written manuscript were done long prior to the release by the National Archives of that photograph which clearly demonstrates that FBI Agent Frazier informed me correctly as to the condition of the bullet when he examined and weighed the bullet.

Therefore, the entire copper jacket which normally covers a portion of the base of the bullet was, as demonstrated in the National Archives photo, clearly present when Frazier weighed the bullet; Gallagher did the NAA on the bullet; and the bullet was turned over to the National Archives.

So, other than future aid in resolving some of the conflicting weight issues as regards CE399 when they (the HSCA) examined the bullet, the approximate .51 grain weight of the bullet which has been removed, has no bearing on the accountability for the weight of the bullet at the time that it was received by the FBI.

Therefore, the ultimate accountability for weight to CE399 remains at:

Recovered weight:-------------------------------------------------------------------------158.6 grains

Approximate weight loss as a result of having been fired:---------------------------+ 0.67 grains

Total:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 159.27 grains

To this, we can add the 0.9 grain weight of the small fragment of lead which was extruded out the base of CE399 and which was sheared from the base of the bullet as a result of the base-first impact with the right transverse process of the C7 vertebrae.

This fragment being what continued forward and exited the throat of JFK and creating the small anterior throat wound.

But Purv, if you go by the weight that Frazier gave of 160.9 grains and subtract .67, you get 160.23 grains. Even if you rounded 160.9 to 161.0 and then subtracted .67, you'd get 160.33. Then we have the .7 + .7 + .9 frags that added up to 2.3, and subtracted from 160.9 or 161.0 yielded 158.6 or 158.7, respectively. Now, we're adding .67 to either of those numbers and coming out with 159.27 or 159.37. If you take the initial 2.3 sum of the .7, .7, and .9 frags, and subtract .67 from it, you're going to get 1.63 So, what you're saying here is that one of the .7 frags has gone missing, because 2 (.7) frags will add up to 1.4, whereas the .9 and one of the .7 frags will add up to 1.63. Where do you think that other .7 frag went? Or, maybe I'm more confused than I thought.

And, I'm still having problems with a trajectory traveling however many fps on a downward slope, entering 3 inches or so below the posterior collar line, or at what appears to be posteriorly and laterally right of the 4th cervical vertebra, or C4, and not exit from the right anterior chest wall closer to the area near where the sternum and clavicle come together. Where are you saying a posterior entrance wound on the back was with respect to where you believe the anterior exit wound was located?

Also, how could the trajectory have made an upward path having entered so much lower and to the right of the spine, even if it had nicked one of the cervical vertebral bodies, wouldn't it have shattered the smaller cervical vertebra, and wouldn't that have been documented in the WCR?

Plus the fact, if you're trying to make a case for a smaller wound below the right posterior occiput as being the entrance wound, I would've thought that the shooter might have been closer to ground level in order for an entrance wound, immediately below the right posterior occiput, be able to fly as far as it being able to line up with an anterior exit wound located below the cricoid cartilage. That would seem more feasible than coming from 6 stories above. That's just MHO. I'm no expert, here. Just another Stu, if you will. But I sure wish John Ritchson was still around.

I'm sorry Purv, but I've never been able to reconcile myself with that poor excuse of a trajectory diagram peddled back in 1964, and unless the feat can be duplicated to the nth degree, I'm not going to be able to buy it. I'm just not seeing it as being able to fly like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Recovered weight of CE399:---------------------------------------------------------158.6 grains

2. Approximate accountable weight loss due merely to having been fired:--------0.67 grains

Total (approximate) weight accountability with NO other reconcilliations:----------159.27 grains

3. Weight of now missing fragment from CE840:------------------------------------0.9 grains

Total accounted for weight for CE299:--------------------------------------------------160.17 grains

Small amount of metallic substance in JFK's neck at right transverse process of C7 vertebrae: Unknown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From there, one is on "best guess" territory as to whether to take the average weight of the few rounds which Frazier weighed or the 100 rounds which Dr. Lattimer weighed.

And even I had rounds that weighed in at only 160.497 grains.

Unfortunately, Dr. Lattimer only gave us the "average" of his 100 rounds weighed, when the "mean" would have been a much better item to work with.

Nevertheless, once one has exceeded the 160 grain weight for accountability purposes, for all practical purposes the round has been accounted for.

Especially when one takes into consideration the almost negligable amount of metallic residue which was embedded into the coat and shirt fabric; that portion of the copper jacket which would have been embedded into the dense wood of the tree limb, and that un-determinable amount in the neck of JFK.

As to the location of the entrance wound, ALL autopsy surgeons have located it as supra-scapula, and Dr. Boswell has specifically located it at the cervical vertebrae location. To include the fact that the projectile travelled downward to the apical tip of the right lung to bruise it.

Thus, going OVER the first rib without creation of any damage there.

The WC "sold" everyone that the projectile passed through the neck of JFK and struck no bone.

Of course the WC also neglected to allow the autopsy X-rays into admission.

It was not until the Clark Panel of 1968 and the HSCA medical panel of 1978 that we officially learned that a group of expert radiologists had confirmed the damage to the tip of the right transverse process of the C7 (or possible T1) vertebrae.

Of course Dr. Lattimer also got to review these films, and anyone who wants to can now order copies of the X-ray which shows this damage and the small opaque white indications of bone fragments and/or metallic residue at the neck bone damage.

From what can be determined, the anterior throat exit wound of the small lead protrusion was virtually lateral to the C7 vertebrae, and based on review of the x-rays, may have been even slightly higher than this as the HSCA medical panel reported seing air which indicated an upward trajectory of the projectile (lead protrusion) pathway through the neck.

For my most favorite "Ex-Bunny"!

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKsullivan.htm

When John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Sullivan was put in charge of the bureau's in-house investigation.

Well, you do make a case for it, Purv. But, I just can't see as how that bullet looked so clean after nicking the trachea, bruising the apex of the right lung, and bouncing off the first right (?) rib? But, then to have made a veer to the right, in mid-air, and continued on down, into and out of Connally's armpit, to land in his thigh, unscathed?

Thanks for the first part, though.

Ter

When John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Sullivan was put in charge of the bureau's in-house investigation.

Well, you do make a case for it, Purv. But, I just can't see as how that bullet looked so clean after nicking the trachea, bruising the apex of the right lung, and bouncing off the first right (?) rib? But, then to have made a veer to the right, in mid-air, and continued on down, into and out of Connally's armpit, to land in his thigh, unscathed?

Ter

CE339, as well as the small 0.9 grain protrustion which sheared from the base of this bullet, exiting the anterior throat of JFK, while creating minor damage to the right lateral side of the trachea of JFK, have never had the pleasure of encounterment with JBC.

Well! I just assumed that you would like to know exactly who it was that removed the 0.9 grain flat-based, cone-shaped bullet fragment from the FBI firearms/ballistics Lab prior to the other two fragments being turned over to the National Archives.

Whether you did, or did not, one can chalk up another first as that happens to be the FIRST time that it too has ever been revealed as to exactly WHO? was involved in this.

Ter

CE339, as well as the small 0.9 grain protrustion which sheared from the base of this bullet, exiting the anterior throat of JFK, while creating minor damage to the right lateral side of the trachea of JFK, have never had the pleasure of encounterment with JBC.

Well! I just assumed that you would like to know exactly who it was that removed the 0.9 grain flat-based, cone-shaped bullet fragment from the FBI firearms/ballistics Lab prior to the other two fragments being turned over to the National Archives.

Whether you did, or did not, one can chalk up another first as that happens to be the FIRST time that it too has ever been revealed as to exactly WHO? was involved in this.

Seems like that little booger sure got around and made himself awfully helpful, didn't he? How convenient for everyone!

So, in the picture, it's the lead from the bottom of the bullet that became dislodged when the bullet nicked the trach, and impacted the right first rib, causing it to become extruded from the opening in the neck, that the Parkland physicians thought was the entrance wound? O.K., but I still think that bullet had to have been fired from a lower elevation than the 6th floor.

Do any autopsy photos show the wound of entry as depicted in that drawing? I thought I saw a photo here recently, but it seemed like the hole was further up on the back of the neck, more like immediately below the right posterior occiput. Now I'm really confused and my eyes are itching from being glued to this computer screen, and I have to go feed Dr. Grossman's cats.

I've got to run, but maybe I'll be back later. I've got to think about this.

Thanks again, Purv.

Ter

Edited by Terry Mauro

Not unlike CE399 itself, no discussion of the lead protrusion would be complete without a complete study as to the mechanics of how this small piece of lead came to be extruded out the base of CE399.

And, as with the study of the actual bullet, one must begin with the basic facts:

1. The copper jacket of the bullet partially covers the lead core at the base of the bullet.

2. That portion of the lead core of the bullet which is exposed at the bullet base consists of a circular area of lead which measures exactly 4.5mm in diameter, and is virtually flat at the base of the bullet.

3. When the bullet is "squeezed" in any area, the internal lead core is compressed and thus attempts to force itself out of the copper jacket at the point of least resistance.

This point being the opening in the copper jacket which is located at the bullet base.

4. So long as the deformation/squeezing of the bullet DOES NOT affect the bullet base and the 4.5mm diameter circular channel created by the copper jacket at the base of the bullet, the lead core of the bullet which is forced to extrude out the base of the bullet will do so in a uniform and virtually perfect circular column of lead which will measure exactly 4.5mm in width throughout it's entire length.

Not unlike CE399 itself, no discussion of the lead protrusion would be complete without a complete study as to the mechanics of how this small piece of lead came to be extruded out the base of CE399.

And, as with the study of the actual bullet, one must begin with the basic facts:

1. The copper jacket of the bullet partially covers the lead core at the base of the bullet.

2. That portion of the lead core of the bullet which is exposed at the bullet base consists of a circular area of lead which measures exactly 4.5mm in diameter, and is virtually flat at the base of the bullet.

3. When the bullet is "squeezed" in any area, the internal lead core is compressed and thus attempts to force itself out of the copper jacket at the point of least resistance.

This point being the opening in the copper jacket which is located at the bullet base.

4. So long as the deformation/squeezing of the bullet DOES NOT affect the bullet base and the 4.5mm diameter circular channel created by the copper jacket at the base of the bullet, the lead core of the bullet which is forced to extrude out the base of the bullet will do so in a uniform and virtually perfect circular column of lead which will measure exactly 4.5mm in width throughout it's entire length.

And, anyone familiar with proper research techniques should readily recognize that "comparison" happens to be be a key element of such research.

It even has it's own term: "Comparative Analysis"

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~wricntr/docume...mpAnalysis.html

How to Write a Comparative Analysis

And, anyone familiar with proper research techniques should readily recognize that "comparison" happens to be be a key element of such research.

It even has it's own term: "Comparative Analysis"

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~wricntr/docume...mpAnalysis.html

How to Write a Comparative Analysis

When the 4.5mm width channel located at the base of the bullet is forced partially or completely closed at the same instant as the lead core of the bullet is being forced out the base of the bullet, then a progressive "cone" effect is achieved.

Based on the virtually complete tapering effect of the lead core it would appear that the external pressures exerted onto the base of CE399 at the same instant that these pressures were collapsing the copper shell/jacket of the bullet, almost, at one point, completely closed the channel at the base of the bullet through which the lead core was being forced.

Edited by Thomas H. Purvis

Now!

One could generally assume that a lead projectile of 4.5 mm in width, and slightly larger in length, travelling at a limited velocity, could make the type and size exit wound which JFK had in the anterior neck.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/jones_r.htm

Mr. SPECTER - Would it be consistent, then, with an exit wound, but of low velocity, as you put it?

Dr. JONES - Yes; of very low velocity to the point that you might think that this bullet barely made it through the soft tissues and just enough to drop out of the skin on the opposite side.

Mr. SPECTER - What is your experience, Doctor, if any, in the treatment of bullet wounds?

Dr. JONES - During our residency here we have approximately 1 complete year out of the 4 years on the trauma service here, and this is in addition to the 2 months that we spend every other day and every other night in the emergency room during our first year, so that we see a tremendous number of bullet wounds here in that length of time, sometimes as many as four and five a night.

Now!

One could generally assume that a lead projectile of 4.5 mm in width, and slightly larger in length, travelling at a limited velocity, could make the type and size exit wound which JFK had in the anterior neck.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/jones_r.htm

Mr. SPECTER - Would it be consistent, then, with an exit wound, but of low velocity, as you put it?

Dr. JONES - Yes; of very low velocity to the point that you might think that this bullet barely made it through the soft tissues and just enough to drop out of the skin on the opposite side.

Mr. SPECTER - What is your experience, Doctor, if any, in the treatment of bullet wounds?

Dr. JONES - During our residency here we have approximately 1 complete year out of the 4 years on the trauma service here, and this is in addition to the 2 months that we spend every other day and every other night in the emergency room during our first year, so that we see a tremendous number of bullet wounds here in that length of time, sometimes as many as four and five a night.

Dr. JONES - The wound in the throat was probably no larger than a quarter of an inch in diameter. There appeared to be no powder burn present, although this could have been masked by the amount of blood that was on the head and neck, although there was no obvious, amount of powder present. There appeared to be a very minimal amount of disruption of interruption of the surrounding skin. There appeared to be relatively smooth edges around the wound, and if this occurred as a result of a missile, you would have probably thought it was a missile of very low velocity and probably could have been compatible with a bone fragment of either--probably exiting from the neck, but it was a very small, smooth wound.