The Education Forum

West Ham...Can they survive

Guest Gary Loughran

Guest Gary Loughran

After a successive weekend ruined by another inexplicable decision by the 'man in black', a possible 6 pts have turned into 2 and with it, I believe West Ham's chances of survival. The element of luck required by teams throughout the table seems to be avoiding us.

After the purchase of Quashie and his record of relegation, we might as well have been bottom at Christmas i.e certainties to go down. I don't know what the man does for the manager that gains his inclusion in teams: but Christian Dailly's obvious inabilty to play football defies all logic when it comes to managers selection time.

A good striker will help. The bloke from Seville looks like he may on his way on a 6 month loan.

The return to the side of a FIT Dean Ashton is vital, I don;t beliebe he's ever truly been fit whilst at West Ham. On that subject why were West Ham so quiet, when Newcastle were demanding millions in compensation from the FA for Owen's injury whilst on England duty. Relatively speaking the injury to Ashton is of far more consequence and significance.

Wigan should pull clear, I have no doubt. In fact I see Sheff Utd as the only alternative to West Ham in 18th spot.

Here's hoping

Gary

After a successive weekend ruined by another inexplicable decision by the 'man in black', a possible 6 pts have turned into 2 and with it, I believe West Ham's chances of survival. The element of luck required by teams throughout the table seems to be avoiding us.

After the purchase of Quashie and his record of relegation, we might as well have been bottom at Christmas i.e certainties to go down. I don't know what the man does for the manager that gains his inclusion in teams: but Christian Dailly's obvious inabilty to play football defies all logic when it comes to managers selection time.

A good striker will help. The bloke from Seville looks like he may on his way on a 6 month loan.

The return to the side of a FIT Dean Ashton is vital, I don;t beliebe he's ever truly been fit whilst at West Ham. On that subject why were West Ham so quiet, when Newcastle were demanding millions in compensation from the FA for Owen's injury whilst on England duty. Relatively speaking the injury to Ashton is of far more consequence and significance.

Wigan should pull clear, I have no doubt. In fact I see Sheff Utd as the only alternative to West Ham in 18th spot.

Here's hoping

Gary, I am fairly confident that they will stay up. Under Alan Pardew they were definitely one of the three worst teams in the division. However, they have played much better recently. In their last two games they have shown a lot more spirit and commitment and would have gained two wins but for bad referee decisions.

This is partly due to the arrival of the new manager. However, the main factor is that for the first time West Ham are in the position to buy good players to get them out of trouble. It is true that some talented players like Ashley Young is unwilling to risk playing for a team fighting for survival, but some very good players have joined the club. Even better players will join if we beat the drop (it appears we are willing to pay higher wages than teams like Liverpool).

I expect West Ham to finish higher than both Wigan and Sheffield United.

Guest Gary Loughran

There has been definite improvement under Alan Curbishley. I think Pardew was a little unlucky, even if his summer signings were poor for the most part.

I appreciate the excellent job Curbishley performed at Charlton, but if West Ham are to be a challenging club in the transfer market and on the pitch, does Curbishley have the experience to be successful?

The 5 goals in 2 games have been very helpful, given the poor scoring ratio for most of the season so far.

The Neill transfer was a bit a of coup, but then he was going to Liverpool as a back-up player, and Liverpool's pay offer reflected that. The West Ham offer, if true, of £60K pw is ridiculously over the top for a player of Neill's ability. If he earns that money on the pitch then it will be a good, if not shrewd, investment.

I still think they lack a game changing striker. Viduka is awesome on occassion and lazy/disinterested too often to be an effective purchase. I have to admit I was surprised by that attempt by West Ham.

I hope you're right about Wigan and Sheffield United.

Guest Gary Loughran

John, this page pretty much in essence sums up my view of current events

Egg on West Ham faces

I'm sure you're aware of it's existence but I use newsnow for most of my footy stuff. My favourite West Ham bookmark is

West Ham Updates

Though it's also very useful for myriad other news from the sidebar on the left of the page above.

Gary

John, this page pretty much in essence sums up my view of current events

Egg on West Ham faces

A funny article but I think Tristan Holme is being too harsh on Curbishley. He clearly has a major problem in bringing in the right players. At the same time he is keen to get rid of the people he believes were causing the trouble. This includes Paul Konchesky, Marlon Harewood, Hayden Mullins and Nigel Reo-Coker. However, it seems that no one is willing to pay a decent price for these players.

I find it more disturbing that he has had rows with two of the players I would not like to lose, Matthew Etherington and Robert Green. Apparently, they are now both up for sale.

Nor can I understand why he has not given John Pantsil, Javier Mascherano, and Tyrone Mears, a go since he took over as manager. I would also like to see two of our best young players, Mark Noble and James Tompkins, in the team.

Guest Gary Loughran

I would keep Green, but for me Etherington is too hit and miss; when added to his fear of tackling, not a good combination for a struggling side.

Tyrone Mears is way out of his depth. He absolutely lacks the ability to cross a ball, a must for someone who attacks as much as he does. If I see him hit another flat cross at the edge of the box which gets cut out by the first man; and further witness another counter attack which his crossing profligacy has caused by pulling everyone out of position, I'll personally go to Chadwell Heath and 'do him' :-)

Mascherano's display against Bolton, I believe, says all I needed to know about his desire in a struggling team. He has undoubted talent and is not unlike Xabi Alonso at Liverpool as witnessed by his Palermo displays. Curb's route one approach and less than subtle style of football just wouldn't suit Mascherano. At a club, such as Liverpool, where he will have time and space in a composed team he will be an undoubted asset. Unfortunately, for his sake, he is better off away from Upton park :(.

Curb's wants experienced premiership players in the team apparently, hence Noble's lack of chances. The signings of Davenport, Quashie and the scandalous overbid for the injury prone, not that good anyway, Upson 'obviously' back up Curbs statements :-) If we survive these players will be sold in the summer, no doubt.

I was unaware Mullins was a trouble maker, Harewood and Konchesky aren't good enough (so I wouldn't be concerned about their departure) and since he heard about the Liverpool/Arsenal bids Reo-Coker has been doing his best Defoe impression - impetulant youth that he is. He has fine potential, but someone has convinced him he is better than he is. His recent perfomances have improved somewhat. The fact that he'll most likely go in 14 games time has probably settled him.

I've never seem Tompkins but am aware of calls for his inclusion.

I did worry about your scouting ability when I read in one of your previous posts on the 'West Ham' thread that you thought Gabbidon could be as good as Rio F. Gabbidon, is, was and always will be an able stopper - decent premiership back-up player. If you suspect that he may take the ball down and instigate a passing move, forget it.

I would keep Green, but for me Etherington is too hit and miss; when added to his fear of tackling, not a good combination for a struggling side.

I agree about Etherington is unreliable. He does not like being tackled too hard and often disappears after he has been roughed up. However, on a good day he can create good chances for others.

Mascherano's display against Bolton, I believe, says all I needed to know about his desire in a struggling team. He has undoubted talent and is not unlike Xabi Alonso at Liverpool as witnessed by his Palermo displays. Curb's route one approach and less than subtle style of football just wouldn't suit Mascherano. At a club, such as Liverpool, where he will have time and space in a composed team he will be an undoubted asset. Unfortunately, for his sake, he is better off away from Upton park :(.

I think he deserved another chance. It seemed very strange to have him on the bench while Mullins was on the pitch.

I did worry about your scouting ability when I read in one of your previous posts on the 'West Ham' thread that you thought Gabbidon could be as good as Rio F. Gabbidon, is, was and always will be an able stopper - decent premiership back-up player. If you suspect that he may take the ball down and instigate a passing move, forget it.

I thought Gabbidon looked an excellent player last season. He has had a tough time this season but I think he will come back to form. What do you think of Anton Ferdinand?

Guest Gary Loughran

I agree wholeheartedly with your first two points above. Etherington's inconsistency can't be masked in a struggling team. It's a funny thing in football - the better teams can 'hide' weaker players

I have to admit I though Mullins did a sound job in the middle. I'd have preferred Reo-Coker to be dropped and Mascherano brought in. The solidity of two holders in the middle of the park, might have allowed Etherington to blossom and made room for the inclusion of Benayoun more often. Both would have been freer to attack without having to commit quite as much to defence. Like Gerard I think Reo-Coker mis-times his runs and gets out of position too much. Harry had this problem too, trying to accommodate Di Canio, Lampard, Cole, Sinclair and Berkovic with only Lomas as a recognised tackler in the middle - hence the 3-5-2/5-3-2 formations.

If Anton gives himself the room to improve, steers clear of the c-list London circuit, fast cars and women - he could be a future England player. He's not as talented as his older brother, but has good positional sense, awareness and athleticism. However not enough to make-up for the lack of concentration (family trait?) he often exhibits. He's one who has been forced in a little early, his development would have been better served with an experienced partner and less dependency on him at a young age. Centre back and centre mid are the two positions where, apart from exceptional talents, experience is critical. Players in these two positions seem to improve with time peaking in mid/late twenties. This peak seems to be maintained easily into the thirties for the committed professional - Speed, Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Makelele being exceptional.

Do you rate Anton?

FWIW I rate McCartney as a left back, both keepers, Mullins, Benayoun, Noble, Ferdinand as good players. Collins, Reo-Coker, Spector have potential. The rest I'm ambivalent about - except Harewood, Zamora, Cole, Mears and Dailly none of whom I think are or will be Premiership standard.

I will start a thread on the West Ham v Liverpool game later. It is live on Sky Sports.

This was posted on one of the West Ham forums I visit. This explains the mystery of why he has not been playing for West Ham.

Real Reason Mascherano Does Not Start For West Ham

Submitted by Neville Nixon on 28 January, 2007 - 22:49.

When Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano arrived at West Ham on the last day of the August transfer window the football world was astounded, how could £50 million worth of talent suddenly be at the disposal of the then manager Alan Pardew? The deal that brought the two Argentine Internationals to the Boleyn was arranged as a sweetener for the impending take over of the club by the 'owner' of the players registrations, Kia Joorabchian. It was assumed that, as they arrived together, the players were both on a similar deal, however we have learned that Carlos Tevez's contract allowed him to play an unlimited amount of games for the Hammers without triggering any additional payment clauses, the contract for Mascherano was entirely different, as he was perceived to be the player out of the two who really was 'world class', the trigger clauses in his contract meant that if he played more than a handfull of games, West Ham would have to stump up the best part of £25 Million to retain his services. Of course there has been a lot of water under the bridge sine those heady days of the summer, Joorabchian failed in his attempt to but the club and Eggert Magnusson did instead, Alan Pardew was sacked and the rest is history. Imagine how 'Masher' and Carlitos must have felt? Up somewhere bad without a paddle, imagine how much worse Masher must have felt when he realised the terms of the contract that brought him to the club? This situation is a great example of the ridiculous notion of a players registration NOT being owned by a club, the awful thing is that players values soar and fall at the drop of a hat and a once and future football icon has been deprived of showing what are probably the most perceptive bunch of footballing fans around the joy of seeing him ply his trade. As with all ludicrous legal contracts, a third party will be the beneficiary of all the legalese, a bit like the poor soul who has his car taken by the bailiffs for an unpaid parking ticket that has run and run leaving him to fork out five times the value of his car just to get it back.

I live in hope especially now we've just bought the vastly overrated Matthew Upson for £6 million initially rising to anywhere from 7.5 to 9 depending on where you read. Curbishley is absolutely squandering money on mediocrity. I have to reiterate that he must not have kept pace with the game during his hiatus. He is woefully unaware of players, perhaps this is a bigger indictment on the Hammer's scouting network. I just don't now anymore....where's the rope!!!!! :-)

His transfer policy has been very strange. He has spent a lot of money on three defenders yet has virtually ignored the problem of creating and scoring goals. The players he has signed are on high wages with a opt out clause if West Ham are relegated. Whereas the original team would have had suffered a sharp decline in wages. A good motivating factor.

Apparently Curbishley turned down an attempt by Spurs to swap Harewood for Mido. Curbishley also refused to sell others he has frozen out like Etherington, Mullins and Konchesky. I just can't work it out. My biggest fear is that we catch Wigan but are overtaken by Charlton.

Guest Gary Loughran
Apparently Curbishley turned down an attempt by Spurs to swap Harewood for Mido. Curbishley also refused to sell others he has frozen out like Etherington, Mullins and Konchesky. I just can't work it out. My biggest fear is that we catch Wigan but are overtaken by Charlton.

I was unaware of the Harewood, Mido swap...which I'd have done in a heartbeat.

Maybe if we do get relegated, the Etheringtons, Mullins and Konchesky's will be needed in the Championship. Especially after Neill, Boa Morte and Upson exercise their get-out clauses. That can be the only tenable position. Either that or he wants to retain a sense of 'look at the team I inherited' as a get-out clause.

Yesterday's results suggest West Ham will be relegated. The defence has improved but they are still not creating chances and you don't win games unless you score goals. Luck normally balances out over a season but West Ham have been dealt some terrible blows this season. It has even been reported that the league might deduct points over an illegal transfer deal with Kia's two Argentinians. What a shambles?

Guest Gary Loughran

The bad run of luck is extraordinary. Especially considering that 3 defenders were bought and 2 are now injured. I tend to agree we'll be relegated. I think we and in fact any West Ham will acknowledge that a front man of renown was needed. I was so bitterly disappointed and angry yesterday. Today I have resigned myself to what I feel is the inevitable Championship scraps next year!!!

Jimmy Hill on his Sunday Supplement, suggested there was a lot of things going on behind the scenes that people are unaware of. This hinted at a considerably more than the internal manager/players squabbles you have described.

Have you any idea what these could be??