The Education Forum

Waking the Dead

Derek McMillan

Anyone who believes in corporal punishment should have watched "Waking the Dead." (28th and 29th Jan 2007) It was a typically lurid account to the physical abuse of children in the 1950s with several flashbacks.

Either it would have shown them how twisted they are or just possibly they might have enjoyed it!

Guest Stephen Turner
Anyone who believes in corporal punishment should have watched "Waking the Dead." (28th and 29th Jan 2007) It was a typically lurid account to the physical abuse of children in the 1950s with several flashbacks.

Either it would have shown them how twisted they are or just possibly they might have enjoyed it!

Derek, it was indeed an excruciating peice of drama. I am old enough to remember recieving the cane on several occasions, all it did was to humiliate me, and make me hate the teacher doling out the punishment. I believe that education can only take place in an atmosphere of mutual respect, corporal punishment kills this ideal stone dead. Steve.

I was caned for drawing a cartoon once. I have never drawn a cartoon since.

However, one memorable school bully used to stand outside the deputy head's office regularly for his caning and he went on being a bully throughout his school life - for all I know he is still one now. All it did for him was to make him look hard.