The Education Forum

Enid Gray explains Oswald's appearance

Greg Parker

Bernice,

I am always impressed with your depth of knowledge and understanding. I pay attention to your posts, and you often remind me of things I had forgotten, or tell me things I did not know. You make so many good contributions to this Forum.

I just have one question, Bernice....I hope you don't mind....I've always wondered how you got the habit of breaking up your thoughts....with whatever these are called.....

Thank you Bernice. My question was meant respectfully.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernice,

I am always impressed with your depth of knowledge and understanding. I pay attention to your posts, and you often remind me of things I had forgotten, or tell me things I did not know. You make so many good contributions to this Forum.

I just have one question, Bernice....I hope you don't mind....I've always wondered how you got the habit of breaking up your thoughts....with whatever these are called.....

Michael...in writiing...these...(...)...are called an elipsis...usually used to indicate a deletion...

...but also sometimes to indicate a...pause...although strict grammarians frown on this

practice...which they say requires a...dash...(--)...uh...does that help?

...Jack :rolleyes:

Michael...in writing...these...(...)...are called an elipsis...usually used to indicate a deletion...

...but also sometimes to indicate a...pause...although strict grammarians frown on this

Yes it does, Jack. Thanks.... I'm glad to know what its called. I've used it often when quoting out of full context. And I've used it as a pause.....never knew what it was called though. Somehow it seems to fit Bernice's style perfectly.

You are quite adept at employing the English language Jack....But I'm glad to know you are not one of those strict grammarians, even though you are almost always grammatically correct....

Michael...in writing...these...(...)...are called an elipsis...usually used to indicate a deletion...

Yes it does, Jack. Thanks.... I'm glad to know what its called. I've used it often when quoting out of full context. And I've used it as a pause.....never knew what it was called though. Somehow it seems to fit Bernice's style perfectly.

You are quite adept at employing the English language Jack....But I'm glad to know you are not one of those strict grammarians, even though you are almost always grammatically correct....

I prefer strict use of grammar for concise communication. However, in informal use I frequently

type thru instead of through, and similar informalities. My most frequent mistakes are typos,

since my proofreading is not as good as it used to be. I deplore bad spelling and bad grammar,

which reflect adversely on the message being conveyed. If someone ain't smart enuf to spel

Zeprudah, how can you believe their theory on his film, for example?

Jack :rolleyes:

I am having major problems at present in posting, and am only able to do so by finding a reply box in my browsing history. Bernice, and any one else I may owe replies to, I will attend to same when the problem is fixed. I will just say quickly to Bernice that I made the mistake of getting an opinion on the two copies of the photo from my partner. Since she has sided with you (she sees no difference, either), I'm afraid I'll have to stand firm -- otherwise, I mean... where would agreeing with her lead? Harmony? I don't think I could live with that :rolleyes:.

What I would like to address at the moment is Jack's little rebuke.

I find it extremely presumptious to blast Armstrong's research in this shoddy manner.

Shoddy? Can you cite where it is "shoddy"? If anyone has been "shoddy" it is surely the author of the web article called "School Daze" which purports to represent Armstrong's work. It clearly states in that article how Kudlaty "recalled how he was contacted by the FBI and how he handed over to them Oswald's Stripling school records." Now I'm informed that Kudlaty was NOT contacted by the FBI at all - that he was contacted by the school principal.

As for blasting Armstrong, I'll stop when his supporters cease trying to hijack threads here. Discuss it if you must, but do so in threads which have his theory as a subject.

I was present for many of his interviews given above in "example 1". The accusations are totally unfounded.

What accusations were made, Jack? I cited the information contained in the "School Daze" article and gave my opinion on it why it lacks credibility.

None of the interviewees were seeking any fame or reward. Frank Kudlaty, the assistant principal at Stripling has been a friend of mine since the 1940s, when

he was a college classmate. He later rose to be superintendant of schools at Waco Texas before retiring. He is a man of impeccable honesty.

"Impeccable honesty" is a bit like a virgin birth. Takes a great deal of blind faith to believe anyone capable of it.

But speaking of honesty, since you say above, you were involved in those interviews, should not your friendship with Kudlaty have been disclosed to readers of "School Daze"? Perhaps such disclosure was made in Armstrong's book? If so, it would show Armstrong does have integrity.

I am curious about one thing concerning that friendship. Did Frank tap you on the shoulder during your time at the HSCA and let you know then that he had handed over Oswald files to the FBI and that they were never returned? If not, when did your friend come forward?

To question the veracity of Fran Schubert is ludicrous. She told us in great detail about her remembrances of Oswald at Stripling, and details of the house across the street on Thomas Place where he walked home to lunch. And she was not the ONLY one who told the same thing. And investigate the records? Don't be silly. John spent HOURS at the courthouse looking up all the many properties where Marguerite lived. John and I then went to each location and photographed them. Oddly, the Thomas Place house had been demolished...the only house on that block missing.

Even more odd… quoting again from "School Daze"

"…in her videotaped interview shown during John Armstrong's remarkable 1997 November in Dallas presentation, Francetta pointed to the house as the camcorder panned to indicate its close proximity to Stripling school."

Is this more shoddiness, Jack? If so, whose? Certainly not mine. The article clearly indicates that Ms Schubert pointed to THE house - and was videotaped doing so . But now you say the house was demolished when you went there for the shoot.

The above posting is way out of bounds. READ THE BOOK.

Better things to do with my money. I'd be happy for the mod squad to adjudicate on whether it's in or out of bounds.

The web is littered with "Harvey & Lee" material. If that material misrepresents his book, he should do something about it.

Everything was verified from multiple sources before being published.

So what was found out about the early '50s occupation and/or ownership of the house in Thomas St?

Jack

We are also told that the FBI contacted the assistant principal of the school, but we're not told why the assistant and not the actual principal? Was the principal even informed of the records being handed over?

I haven't gone back to reread all this, but I can answer this part. It was a Saturday morning, the FBI contacted the principal, and the principal called the assistant principal and told him to go to the school and get the records for the agents.

Ron, if that's correct, then the author of the School Daze article has got it wrong. It states, In another videotaped interview, the W.C. Stripling assistant principal at the time of the assassination, Frank Kudlaty, recalled how he was contacted by the FBI and how he handed over to them Oswald's Stripling school records.

Not that I think it matters much either way to the credibility of the story.....

From Harvey & Lee (p. 98):

As I continued to locate and talk with former Stripling teachers, many suggested that I call "Frank Kudlaty," the former assistant principal at Stripling. I telephoned Mr. Kudlaty, introduced myself as a JFK researcher, and asked whether or not "Lee Harvey Oswald" had attended Stripling. Without hesitation Frank said, "Yes, he attended Stripling." Somewhat surprised I asked, "How do you know that." Frank replied, "Because I gave his Stripling records to the FBI."

I was momentarily stunned by Frank's answer, and asked him to tell me what he remembered in detail. He explained, "Early on the morning following the assassination, Saturday morning, I was telephoned by my boss, Mr. (Weldon) Lucas (principal of Stripling), and told to go to school and meet two FBI agents. I lived close to the school at the time and arrived at the school before they (FBI Agents) got there. I went into the school and located Oswald's records for Stripling. I opened Lee Harvey Oswald's folder and briefly looked over his records and noticed that he had attended less than a full semester at Stripling. He had been there long enough to receive grades for a 6-week period, but not long enough to receive semester grades. I think he was in the 9th grade. I put the records back in the folder and waited for the FBI agents. When they arrived, they showed me their badges for identification, and asked for the records. I told them that I had located both Lee Harvey and Robert Oswald's school records and asked if they wanted both. They told me they only wanted 'Lee Harvey Oswald's' records. After I handed the records to them they thanked me and left. I locked up the school and went home."

Frank went on to explain that Stripling did not have a copy machine and neither of the agents gave him a receipt for the records. He said that no one, except myself, had ever asked him about Oswald's records at Stripling Junior High.

After speaking with Frank, I made arrangements to visit him and his wife, Marlene, at their home in Waco, Texas. Frank graduated from Texas Christian University (TCU), began teaching at Stripling in the fall of 1951, and by 1963, was the assistant principal. After leaving Stripling, Frank became the Superintendent of Schools in Waco, Texas, a position he held until his retirement in 1987. In 1979 the US State Department asked the American Association of School Administrators to select a 25-member team of educators to travel to the People's Republic of China and advise the Chinese government on education. Frank was one of the educators chosen to attend, and traveled to China in November 1979.

Frank explained, during a videotaped interview, that before the FBI agents arrived at Stripling on Saturday morning (November 23), he briefly reviewed Oswald's school file. He explained that when a student enrolled in a new school, in this case at Stripling, the previous school routinely sent copies of his school transcripts. Occasionally, if the records were not sent, the new school would write and request copies of the school records from the previous school. Frank said that when he examined Oswald's file he saw neither copies of school transcripts from a previous school nor a letter from Stripling requesting such records.
Frank said this was very unusual, as Oswald must have attended school prior to his attendance at Stripling, yet there were no records.

According to John Armstrong, this is the significance of the above:

After talking with Frank, I realized that certain FBI officials had to have known about Lee Harvey Oswald's Stripling Junior High attendance prior to the assassination, which probably meant that they also knew about the existence of two Oswalds. Otherwise. why were two agents sent to Stripling to confiscate junior high school records less than 20 hours after the assassination? And why would the FBI be interested in Oswald's records from junior high school?.....Because those records proved that Harvey Oswald attended Stripling Junior High in Fort Worth at the same time that Lee Oswald attended Beauregard Junior High in New Orleans. If both of these school records were made public, they would expose the two Oswalds and the agency responsible for merging the identity of the accused Presidential assassin with New Orleans-born Lee Harvey Oswald, Needless to say, the Stripling records disappeared.

NOTE: In the mid 1990's I wrote to the Assassinations Records Review Board and provided them with Frank Kudlaty's name, address, a synopis of his statement to me, and a copy of the videotaped interview. Frank's name appears on several internal ARRB memos, but no one contacted him. The ARRB's avoidance of personal contact with Frank Kudlaty followed the FBI/WC/HSCA's practice of ignoring troublesome witnesses.

There in much more about Stripling Junior High and former students that remembered Oswald for those that have bothered to obtain and read Harvey & Lee. But as I mentioned to Myra Bronstein the other day:

John Armstrong's book Harvey & Lee consists of almost one thousand well-documented pages. Whether or not one chooses to subscribe to Armstrong's conclusion of two Oswalds, his book contains much valuable information and research, in my opinion....

....I can't help but adding that almost without fail, the ones that seem to be most dismissive of Armstrong's work have never read his book in its entirety.

I am having major problems at present in posting, and am only able to do so by finding a reply box in my browsing history. Bernice, and any one else I may owe replies to, I will attend to same when the problem is fixed. I will just say quickly to Bernice that I made the mistake of getting an opinion on the two copies of the photo from my partner. Since she has sided with you (she sees no difference, either), I'm afraid I'll have to stand firm -- otherwise, I mean... where would agreeing with her lead? Harmony? I don't think I could live with that ;).

What I would like to address at the moment is Jack's little rebuke.

I find it extremely presumptious to blast Armstrong's research in this shoddy manner.

Shoddy? Can you cite where it is "shoddy"? If anyone has been "shoddy" it is surely the author of the web article called "School Daze" which purports to represent Armstrong's work. It clearly states in that article how Kudlaty "recalled how he was contacted by the FBI and how he handed over to them Oswald's Stripling school records." Now I'm informed that Kudlaty was NOT contacted by the FBI at all - that he was contacted by the school principal.

As for blasting Armstrong, I'll stop when his supporters cease trying to hijack threads here. Discuss it if you must, but do so in threads which have his theory as a subject.

I was present for many of his interviews given above in "example 1". The accusations are totally unfounded.

What accusations were made, Jack? I cited the information contained in the "School Daze" article and gave my opinion on it why it lacks credibility.

None of the interviewees were seeking any fame or reward. Frank Kudlaty, the assistant principal at Stripling has been a friend of mine since the 1940s, when

he was a college classmate. He later rose to be superintendant of schools at Waco Texas before retiring. He is a man of impeccable honesty.

"Impeccable honesty" is a bit like a virgin birth. Takes a great deal of blind faith to believe anyone capable of it.

But speaking of honesty, since you say above, you were involved in those interviews, should not your friendship with Kudlaty have been disclosed to readers of "School Daze"? Perhaps such disclosure was made in Armstrong's book? If so, it would show Armstrong does have integrity.

I am curious about one thing concerning that friendship. Did Frank tap you on the shoulder during your time at the HSCA and let you know then that he had handed over Oswald files to the FBI and that they were never returned? If not, when did your friend come forward?

To question the veracity of Fran Schubert is ludicrous. She told us in great detail about her remembrances of Oswald at Stripling, and details of the house across the street on Thomas Place where he walked home to lunch. And she was not the ONLY one who told the same thing. And investigate the records? Don't be silly. John spent HOURS at the courthouse looking up all the many properties where Marguerite lived. John and I then went to each location and photographed them. Oddly, the Thomas Place house had been demolished...the only house on that block missing.

Even more odd… quoting again from "School Daze"

"…in her videotaped interview shown during John Armstrong's remarkable 1997 November in Dallas presentation, Francetta pointed to the house as the camcorder panned to indicate its close proximity to Stripling school."

Is this more shoddiness, Jack? If so, whose? Certainly not mine. The article clearly indicates that Ms Schubert pointed to THE house - and was videotaped doing so . But now you say the house was demolished when you went there for the shoot.

The above posting is way out of bounds. READ THE BOOK.

Better things to do with my money. I'd be happy for the mod squad to adjudicate on whether it's in or out of bounds.

The web is littered with "Harvey & Lee" material. If that material misrepresents his book, he should do something about it.

Everything was verified from multiple sources before being published.

So what was found out about the early '50s occupation and/or ownership of the house in Thomas St?

Jack

Apparently you have not read the book. It answers most of your questions.

I was not present when John interviewed Frank Kudlaty. I don't know where you

got that idea. At the time John interviewed him, I had not seen him in about

fifty years, although I have seen him a couple of times in recent years. I knew

his wife much better than I knew him, as I was in classes with her. John's

book gives an accurate account of Kudlaty's story. At the time of the interview

Frank did not know that John and I knew each other. Kudlaty HAD NO IDEA THAT

HIS STORY WAS IMPORTANT TILL JOHN INTERVIEWED HIM. I don't know where you

got your wrong information.

I was present when he interviewed three persons about LHO at Stripling. John

and I went around and photographed all of Marguerite's locations, and the one

across from Stripling DID CONTAIN A HOUSE, but it was a NEW brick duplex and

obviously out of character with the older neighborhood. It WAS NOT THE HOUSE

that Fran said LHO went home to, BUT WAS THE LOCATION OF THE HOUSE. That

location was the ONLY location on the block without the older original house.

If you will read HARVEY & LEE most of your assumptions will be resolved. How

can you criticize a book you have not read?

Jack

They look like two completely different people to me. The Hidell pic is the face we are familiar with, the one labeled Oswald is someone else. Couldn't be a "younger LHO" . Notice the distinct difference in the noses.

Dawn

Bernice,

Thanks Mike, for your kind words... :ice for you..

Jack :"I prefer strict use of grammar for concise communication. However, in informal use I frequently

type thru instead of through, and similar informalities." ......Glad to read that.... :ice here you too :ice

I use them as pauses, probably so that my typing can catch up to what I am thinking of...at times ?? I am not a very good typist.

Also we were taught by one teacher, to try this, as it was acceptable, her theory being... we would not use, too many

un-needed words.

It is just something I do...no real explanation...we all carry on and try to do the best we can, then pick up and carry on from there.

Thanks

B

Lordy Greg:

""I am having major problems at present in posting, and am only able to do so by finding a reply box in my browsing history. Bernice, and any one else I may owe replies to, I will attend to same when the problem is fixed. I will just say quickly to Bernice that I made the mistake of getting an opinion on the two copies of the photo from my partner. Since she has sided with you (she sees no difference, either), I'm afraid I'll have to stand firm -- otherwise, I mean... where would agreeing with her lead? Harmony? I don't think I could live with that .""

Can't have you agreeing with your better half, no way..not allowed...

The problems will be corrected I am sure...

For now.B

• 2 weeks later...

Not a very timely response, but beyond my control.

Apparently you have not read the book. It answers most of your questions.

I was not present when John interviewed Frank Kudlaty. I don't know where you got that idea.

I got that idea from you, Jack, when you said, "I was present for many of his interviews given above in example 1". Example 1 included the Kudlaty interview.

At the time John interviewed him, I had not seen him in about fifty years, although I have seen him a couple of times in recent years.

Can you please make up your mind which it is? You said previously, "Frank Kudlaty, the assistant principal at Stripling has been a friend of mine since the 1940s, when he was a college classmate. He later rose to be superintendent of schools at Waco Texas before retiring. He is a man of impeccable honesty." Clearly, you cannot have been friends "since the 1940s", if you hadn't seen him since the 1940s.

I knew his wife much better than I knew him, as I was in classes with her.

Good grief, man. Which is it???? Were you in her classes, or his as you previously claimed ("he was a college classmate")?

John's book gives an accurate account of Kudlaty's story. At the time of the interview Frank did not know that John and I knew each other. Kudlaty HAD NO IDEA THAT HIS STORY WAS IMPORTANT TILL JOHN INTERVIEWED HIM. I don't know where you got your wrong information.

What wrong information? Please quote it for me, and show me where it's wrong.

I was present when he interviewed three persons about LHO at Stripling.

Only three? Then why did you originally claim it was "many"?

John and I went around and photographed all of Marguerite's locations, and the one across from Stripling DID CONTAIN A HOUSE, but it was a NEW brick duplex and obviously out of character with the older neighborhood. It WAS NOT THE HOUSE that Fran said LHO went home to, BUT WAS THE LOCATION OF THE HOUSE. That location was the ONLY location on the block without the older original house.

Okay, so why does the School Daze article state: "In her videotaped interview shown during John Armstrong's remarkable 1997 November in Dallas presentation, Francetta pointed to the house as the camcorder panned to indicate its close proximity to Stripling school"?

Clear enough, isn't it? She pointed to the house. To repeat myself, if the article is misrepresenting Armstrong's work, why doesn't he (or one of his supporters) take some action to get it corrected?

If you will read HARVEY & LEE most of your assumptions will be resolved. How can you criticize a book you have not read?

I don't need to read the Book of Genesis to know it's a load of cobblers. What I'm interested in for now is finding out how Kudlaty came to Armstrong's attention, if not through you, while wondering why you backed away so quickly from the close, longstanding friendship with Kudlaty you first described...to one where you knew his wife better and you hadn't actually seen him in 50 years. :fish

Jack

If you will read HARVEY & LEE most of your assumptions will be resolved. How can you criticize a book you have not read?
I don't need to read the Book of Genesis to know it's a load of cobblers. What I'm interested in for now is finding out how Kudlaty came to Armstrong's attention, if not through you.... :fish

As I continued to locate and talk with former Stripling teachers, many suggested that I call "Frank Kudlaty," the former assistant principal at Stripling. I telephoned Mr. Kudlaty, introduced myself as a JFK researcher, and asked whether or not "Lee Harvey Oswald" had attended Stripling. Without hesitation Frank said, "Yes, he attended Stripling." Somewhat surprised I asked, "How do you know that." Frank replied, "Because I gave his Stripling records to the FBI."

John Armstrong's book Harvey & Lee consists of almost one thousand well-documented pages. Whether or not one chooses to subscribe to Armstrong's conclusion of two Oswalds, his book contains much valuable information and research, in my opinion....

....I can't help but adding that almost without fail, the ones that seem to be most dismissive of Armstrong's work have never read his book in its entirety.

I don't need to read the Book of Genesis to know it's a load of cobblers. What I'm interested in for now is finding out how Kudlaty came to Armstrong's attention, if not through you.... :fish

Michael, thanks for the reminder. It obviously went down the memory hole during the 12 days I've been unable to post. Some questions do spring to mind, but I won't read anything into a lack of reply if you choose not to do so.

Did those former teachers suggest why Kudlaty was the person to speak to?

Jack said he wasn't with Armstrong when he interviewed Kudlaty, but was he present during that initial phone call?

Was the fact that Kudlaty and Jack knew each (I'll refrain from saying they were friends since college days until that is clarified by Jack) declared in the book?

Refer to CE 1384 which indicates formal request for NYC school records through the Mayors office and NYC Board of Education and that legal advice was sought on handing over court records. See 1373-A which shows that the request for Fort Worth school records was made through the Texas Attorney General to Fort Worth police who then went through the Fort Worth School District offices.

the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) was enacted in 1974. Under this Act, school records can be released without consent only to:

The current school district

A school district to which the student is transferring

State or federal education authorities

State or federal financial aid programs

Law enforcement officials for "child welfare" protection

Or upon a judge's order for release

Though this federal act was ten years too late in the Oswald case, it probably only codified what a bunch of other laws covered in a more general sense - hence the crossing of "t"s and dotting of "i"s in the requests for Fort Worth and NYC records.

Why then did Kudlaty hand LHO's records over without at a minimum, seeking authority of the School District offices who could access legal advice on the handing over of such records?

How long did Stripling hang on to school records before they were centrally stored and archived?

Why didn't Kudlaty or anyone else at the school follow up with the FBI to have the records returned?

I think I'll dub this the Spongebob Dictum. After hearing that Squidward didn't like crabby patties, Spongebob declares that the only people who don't like crabby patties have never actually tried one. Squidward then confesses that it's true he's never eaten one, and that the reason he doesn't like them is in knowing they're artery-clogging junk. Anyhow, Spongebob annoys him until he does try one, and he likes them so much, he sneaks back to the restaurant late at night and chows down until he literally explodes. Do you want me to explode, Michael? Is that your cunning plan? :eat Of course, the moral is that certain things can have a lot of allure on the surface; and you can keep enjoying such things only by avoiding examining what it is you're really being fed.

I prefer strict use of grammar for concise communication. However, in informal use I frequently

type thru instead of through, and similar informalities. My most frequent mistakes are typos,

since my proofreading is not as good as it used to be. I deplore bad spelling and bad grammar,

which reflect adversely on the message being conveyed. If someone ain't smart enuf to spel

Zeprudah, how can you believe their theory on his film, for example?

Jack :)

I used to win spelling bees all the time. But lately I've noticed a hesitancy in me with certain words, so I have to check the words in the dictionary for the spelling. And usually I've spelt it right. I guess it's age.

But what I wanted to say -- dyslexics. I went to Catholic school. If you couldn't spell or learn properly, they'd beat the crap out of you. I've never been dyslexic, so I wonder what that's like. In Oswald's Tale by Norman Mailer, there are documents in the back written by Harvey Oswald (I guess). He evidently had dyslexia. With my upbringing, seeing that, I would have thought he was stupid. I remember a nun slapping a girl right next to me, who was coloring with her left hand. The nun said, "The devil is making you use that hand." I didn't know my right from my left. So I was scared when she came over to me. Apparently, I was using the correct hand. That's why I never heard of dyslexia in Catholic school. You were just stupid.

Kathy

I am the author of that comparison. I did it in the late 70s as part of my slide lecture.

I wanted to show it to the HSCA, but was told I would be HELD IN COMTEMPT OF CONGRESS

if I attempted to do so. They did not want any mention of multiple Oswalds.

The photo labeled OSWALD is from the LHO PASSPORT when he just got out of the Marines

and went to Russia. The photo labeled HIDELL is the DALLAS POLICE MUG SHOT of the

patsy under arrest. Certainly the first is chronologically different, but it is impossible for

photos of the same man to be morphologically different. Skulls do not change shape.

This is not a "theory" but a side by side comparison of two photos alleged to be the same

man. In my lectures all I did was present the slide as Bernice has posted, and ask the

question....DO THESE TWO PHOTOS SHOW THE SAME MAN?

Jack

The little Oswald looks like Harvey, but he's too small and slight. The woman with him. Is she Harvey's Marguerite? Because there seems to be a resemblance.

Kathy