The Education Forum

New JFK Dallas film surfaces in Dallas

On KDFW (Channel 4 Dallas) news tonight, they showed a new JFK film that was shot about 90 seconds before the assassination. The Sixth Floor museum has possesion of the film, and Gary Mack said that other than museum personel, this was the first time the film was shown publically.

Of interest, was Kennedy's coat, which showed to be unnaturally bunched up in the film. It's a very clear shot. I haven't had time to check and see if the film is on Channel 4's website or on the Sixth Floor's site, but I'll bet it will be showing up soon.

UPDATE: Here's the film from the Sixth Floor Museum site. Thanks Gary, for putting this online.

JWK

Edited by J. William King

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: Here's the film from the Sixth Floor Museum site. Thanks Gary, for putting this online.

JWK

Gary's been very busy tonight...

Kathy C

Between this film, and the window deal on eBay falling through, I'll bet he's been busy!

JWK

On KDFW (Channel 4 Dallas) news tonight, they showed a new JFK film that was shot about 90 seconds before the assassination. The Sixth Floor museum has possesion of the film, and Gary Mack said that other than museum personel, this was the first time the film was shown publically.

Of interest, was Kennedy's coat, which showed to be unnaturally bunched up in the film. It's a very clear shot. I haven't had time to check and see if the film is on Channel 4's website or on the Sixth Floor's site, but I'll bet it will be showing up soon.

JWK

Surprising to see a film in color. Of course I've seen color photos of President Kennedy but this is startling.

Any idea where the film has been all these years, when it was discovered, when Gary Mack received it, and from whom?

I'm eager for Jack to see it...

JWK

Surprising to see a film in color. Of course I've seen color photos of President Kennedy but this is startling.

Any idea where the film has been all these years, when it was discovered, when Gary Mack received it, and from whom?

I just now watched it three times on the late news after the All-Star game.

It is a very innocuous film shot on Main Street several blocks from

Dealey Plaza. It has outstanding images of Jackie smiling directly at the

camera. The quality and color were OUTSTANDING. I saw nothing of any

evidentiary interest on viewing it three times. The film was donated to

the Sixth floor by the now elderly man who shot it and had it in a drawer

for 40+ years. Gary Mack made a brief appearance saying that it was

very important historically.

Jack

JWK

I just now watched it three times on the late news after the All-Star game.

It is a very innocuous film shot on Main Street several blocks from

Dealey Plaza. It has outstanding images of Jackie smiling directly at the

camera. The quality and color were OUTSTANDING. I saw nothing of any

evidentiary interest on viewing it three times. The film was donated to

the Sixth floor by the now elderly man who shot it and had it in a drawer

for 40+ years. Gary Mack made a brief appearance saying that it was

very important historically.

Jack

From the Sixth Floor Museum's site:

This newly-discovered home movie of the fateful Kennedy motorcade was recently donated to The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. The photographer, George Jefferies, filmed President and Mrs. Kennedy on Main Street at Lamar in downtown Dallas less than 90 seconds before the assassination. Secret Service Agent Clint Hill, assigned to protect Jackie Kennedy, can be seen riding on the left rear bumper. The donor, Wayne Graham, is the son-in-law of Mr. Jefferies. Click on the image for the entire film.

I'm not sure when the TSBD was filmed. Right at the very end of the film, the clock on top can be seen changing to, what looks like to me, to either 12:31 or 2:31. Either is possible, but the latter is more likely given the location of the first part of the film.

JWK

Of interest, was Kennedy's coat, which showed to be unnaturally bunched up in the film.

JWK

Care to share your expertise in this area?

How do you differentiate between a "naturally bunched up" coat and an "unnaturally

bunched up coat"?

Please demonstrate your acumen and tell us just how much is JFK's coat

"bunched up" in this photo, taken less than 90 seconds before the assassination.

altgens2.jpg

It shouldn't be too difficult to look at the Altgens #5 photo above -- taken on

Houston St -- and see that JFK's shirt collar was not visible at that point in the

motorcade.

Here's a photo taken within a fraction of a second of the first strike,

Betzner #3 taken at Z186:

Betzner_Large.jpg

It shouldn't be too difficult to look at JFK in the above photo and see

that his shirt collar was quite visible at the back of his neck.

If the shirt collar wasn't visible on Houston St. but was visible on Elm St

then the jacket actually DROPPED.

Of course, many in the research community don't want the Parlor Game to

end, so this most obvious evidence of 4+ shots is habitually overlooked.

My intention in the post was to bring this film to the attention of the forum, not to branch out into the endless "is it bunched or isn't it" discussion. If you've seen this film, you'll see what I'm talking about. It looked unatural to me (maybe a poor choice of words on my part) because instead of looking bunched from just riding up, it looks bunched because there is something solid behind it keeping it in that unusual position. I suspect the back brace.

I got a note from Gary Mack telling me that the scenes of Dealey Plaza and the TSBD were shot the next day, or maybe Sunday, and not the same day as the assassination. Thanks to Gary for that information.

JWK

My intention in the post was to bring this film to the attention of the forum, not to branch out into the endless "is it bunched or isn't it" discussion. If you've seen this film, you'll see what I'm talking about. It looked unatural to me (maybe a poor choice of words on my part) because instead of looking bunched from just riding up, it looks bunched because there is something solid behind it keeping it in that unusual position. I suspect the back brace.

If that were the case then why doesn't the jacket appear that way in ALL the films and

photos?

Watch the footage and you'll see that JFK's shirt collar was not visible at the nape

of his neck.

Look at the Elm St. footage and you'll notice that JFK's shirt collar was visible

at the nape of his neck.

http://www.jfk-online.com/Towner.mpg

The jacket dropped in Dealey Plaza. That is an irrefutable fact.

Guest Mark Valenti

In the Towner footage, the white of JFK's shirt is visible on the side of his neck but not in the back. I think the poor quality prevents this from being clear. The shirt might be showing, and it might not. Impossible to tell.

The jacket moves up and down as JFK's arms and body position moves. He never remained still during the motorcade, therefore his jacket never stayed in one position.

In any event, thanks to JWK for posting the link to the film.

In the Towner footage, the white of JFK's shirt is visible on the side of his neck but not in the back. I think the poor quality prevents this from being clear. The shirt might be showing, and it might not. Impossible to tell.

Look again. The white shirt collar is clearly visible at the back in the later frames.

Ditto Betzner #3 cited in my earlier posts.

What could be more obvious?

Hit enlarge and look at the white band at the base of his neck...

Betzner_Large.jpg